Honest Camera Reviews P30 Pro or IPhone XS Max

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Neil_s New Member • Posts: 9
Honest Camera Reviews P30 Pro or IPhone XS Max

Hi everyone...I know this may be a long shot but is there anyone out there that’s owned an IPhone XS and a P30 Pro that could give me an honest review over which camera is better (I’ve watched the general Youtube stuff but no one ever talks about editing potential of photos or what raw quality is like). I’m completely stuck on which one to buy...P30 Pro seems much more versatile and iphone quality seems to fall apart when not in optimal lighting but on the flip side of that I’ve seen so many conflicting user reports on the P30 Pros camera, some people love it but a lot of people think it’s completely rubbish

_vlad Senior Member • Posts: 2,526
Re: Honest Camera Reviews P30 Pro or IPhone XS Max

XS is much better in video department. No discussion.

For versatility, DNG performance and dimm or low light shooting when low noise and detail retained is a must P30 is clear winner. It is pretty complicated and powerful camera for enthusiast and if you are not after that, you can save lot of money with other brand. Most youtubers are not photographers and only aspect they test is mostly point - shoot and compare. There are plenty shots either 40 Mpix output or directly from DNG here on the forum, so you can look and see.

-- hide signature --

Vlad

_vlad's gear list:_vlad's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +5 more
teemodk Senior Member • Posts: 1,275

How do they build the raw, is it one shot or stacked? Always without AI?

Can they make good raws in low light, or does it need stacking + AI?

teemodk's gear list:teemodk's gear list
Oppo R7 Plus

teemodk wrote:

DNG is always one shot at full resolution (40MPix). And without any processing - i.e no AI. For ISO up to 1600 it is perfectly OK - needs processing obviously. Full range of manual settings is  available. Beyond that sensitivity, it is better to use HighIso 10MPix mode as ISOMAX in PRO mode for DNG is limited to 6400 for obvious reasons.

Has to be said though, that in special HighISO JPG (no DNG) . there are limited some camera options (for PRO mode only).

Three pics to compare - better to check at full size on PC. EXIF is somehow corrupted as I published it recently to another forum and in the process the data were lost. But when I get back to my desktop, I can pick-up the originals if you wish.

Intensity of the the scene lighting was modified - as 51200 ISO was shot in such dark conditions, that ISO6400 gave just very underexposed picture with reasonable handholdable exp. time. DNG was processed obviously, rest is OOC.

Last one is from M43cam (GH5 with 1,7/20 mm lens) - just JPG single shot. I include it just for reference not for another heated discussion which cam can do better.

ISO 51200 10MPix OOC JPG

From DNG ISO 6400, processed in LR and Topaz studio

M43 GH5 ISO 12800 OOC, 1,7/20mm lens (40mm FF eq.)

-- hide signature --

Vlad

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +5 more
teemodk Senior Member • Posts: 1,275

Thank you very much for posting those. Very helpful.

I'm especially glad to see that RAW, even at high ISO, is not touched by camera-AI. I have seen some veird AI decisions (errors) in posted images and I would hate to come home from a trip with messed up DNGs, because I couldn't spot it on the phone.
I wouldn't mind a stack combined RAW when/if needed though.

Thanks again.

teemodk's gear list:teemodk's gear list
Oppo R7 Plus
OP Neil_s New Member • Posts: 9

_vlad wrote:

teemodk wrote:

DNG is always one shot at full resolution (40MPix). And without any processing - i.e no AI. For ISO up to 1600 it is perfectly OK - needs processing obviously. Full range of manual settings is available. Beyond that sensitivity, it is better to use HighIso 10MPix mode as ISOMAX in PRO mode for DNG is limited to 6400 for obvious reasons.

Has to be said though, that in special HighISO JPG (no DNG) . there are limited some camera options (for PRO mode only).

Three pics to compare - better to check at full size on PC. EXIF is somehow corrupted as I published it recently to another forum and in the process the data were lost. But when I get back to my desktop, I can pick-up the originals if you wish.

Intensity of the the scene lighting was modified - as 51200 ISO was shot in such dark conditions, that ISO6400 gave just very underexposed picture with reasonable handholdable exp. time. DNG was processed obviously, rest is OOC.

Last one is from M43cam (GH5 with 1,7/20 mm lens) - just JPG single shot. I include it just for reference not for another heated discussion which cam can do better.

ISO 51200 10MPix OOC JPG

From DNG ISO 6400, processed in LR and Topaz studio

M43 GH5 ISO 12800 OOC, 1,7/20mm lens (40mm FF eq.)

Thanks for the photos and advice Vlad. Are indoor RAW photos always grainy?

Jostian
Jostian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,693

iPhone jpeg processing is poor, heavy handed NR etc. but the RAWs are very good, however I agree with Vlad that the RAWs from the P30 Pro just offer more latitude for processing, and have better DR etc.

iPhone is up there RAW wise but I think the P30 Pro and the Mate 20 Pro rule the roost overall, especially with RAW.

-- hide signature --
 Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +5 more
Tobamory Senior Member • Posts: 1,088

I have both and use the P30pro Much more for Photos. Lots more features and fun stuff too to play with

Just be cautious though, ive been an Iphone user for 10 years and using android sucks, its OK but its no Iphone, ive percavered because the P30 has dual sim, so I can stick works sim in it, just wish apple would allow a proper 2 sim model and not Esim.

Much prefer P30Pros photos too, but that's personal choice.

Tobamory's gear list:Tobamory's gear list
Sony a7R III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sony FE 70-200 F4 +4 more

Neil_s wrote:

Luckily no - DNG up-to 1600 can be nicely cleaned-up in RAW development process with plenty details left. ISO 6400 (as shown above) just hits the limits of the sensor, but IMO still usable given the fact we are in phone territory and it is 40MPix file. Just downsampling to 20MPix - which is IMHO still quite high resolution - will eliminate a lot of noise/detail issues.

-- hide signature --

Vlad

Gal Root
Gal Root Contributing Member • Posts: 625

If you're into still photography,  the discussion is pointless - P30 Pro by a long (LONG!!)  mile.

Gal Root's gear list:Gal Root's gear list
Canon PowerShot D20 Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +5 more

Gal Root wrote:

If you're into still photography, the discussion is pointless - P30 Pro by a long (LONG!!) mile.

Not really. While the P30 Pro has a much more versatile camera system I could at least equal the wide angle on the iphone using a sandmarc or moment lens/case and in terms of manual control and camera modes the ones on ios seem to be much more refined than the camera apps on android. Losing night mode is definitely a big one though, i'm very surprised a 3rd party app developer hasn't come up with a proper 'night mode' camera app on ios yet. Even if they charged 99p for it they'd make a fortune.

_vlad wrote:

Neil_s wrote:

Luckily no - DNG up-to 1600 can be nicely cleaned-up in RAW development process with plenty details left. ISO 6400 (as shown above) just hits the limits of the sensor, but IMO still usable given the fact we are in phone territory and it is 40MPix file. Just downsampling to 20MPix - which is IMHO still quite high resolution - will eliminate a lot of noise/detail issues.

That's definitely high enough coming out of the phone. I've noticed you've posted quite a few photos in different threads from the P30 Pro,..are the colours in RAW better now? I know there was a few issues with green tints and reds coming out as orange a few updates ago

Tobamory wrote:

I have both and use the P30pro Much more for Photos. Lots more features and fun stuff too to play with

Just be cautious though, ive been an Iphone user for 10 years and using android sucks, its OK but its no Iphone, ive percavered because the P30 has dual sim, so I can stick works sim in it, just wish apple would allow a proper 2 sim model and not Esim.

Thanks for the input, I was hoping to hear from someone that had experience with both cameras. I used to have the Mate 20 Pro but sold it when Huawei got the ban and have been using my sons iphone 7 for the past couple of months but I need to give him it back for the summer lol so I know all about Emuis shortcomings in other areas outside the camera, Ios is definitely a smoother and more refined software experience.

Neil_s wrote:

_vlad wrote:

Neil_s wrote:

That's definitely high enough coming out of the phone. I've noticed you've posted quite a few photos in different threads from the P30 Pro,..are the colours in RAW better now? I know there was a few issues with green tints and reds coming out as orange a few updates ago

The colors were corrected from FW 161 (now 178 waiting for 183 in couple of days). Those oranges are things of a past. RAW is unchanged apart from fact that from FW 161 there is embedded proper color profile in the file - so each editor capable of opening DNG will display proper colors. However there is visible vignetting (easily removable) and some green corner shifting (visible only on color uniform shots. Both of those "issues" are part of processing routine, as almost every lens has correcting profiles e.g. in LR, or ON1 etc. Mostly I do not care - as when processing I always add some vignetting for better object separation, and when color uniformity is for some reason a must then there is easy solution called (Cornerfix - free app) which eliminates ir completely.

-- hide signature --

Vlad

_vlad wrote:

Neil_s wrote:

_vlad wrote:

Neil_s wrote:

The colors were corrected from FW 161 (now 178 waiting for 183 in couple of days). Those oranges are things of a past. RAW is unchanged apart from fact that from FW 161 there is embedded proper color profile in the file - so each editor capable of opening DNG will display proper colors. However there is visible vignetting (easily removable) and some green corner shifting (visible only on color uniform shots. Both of those "issues" are part of processing routine, as almost every lens has correcting profiles e.g. in LR, or ON1 etc. Mostly I do not care - as when processing I always add some vignetting for better object separation, and when color uniformity is for some reason a must then there is easy solution called (Cornerfix - free app) which eliminates ir completely.

Is that vignetting on the main and wide lens? It used to happen occasionally on my Mate 20 Pro wide lens but never on the main. I'm going to order the P30 Pro, I'll be spending a couple of days extensively using the camera then if I'm not happy at the end I can return it

Gal Root
Gal Root Contributing Member • Posts: 625
  1. Neil_s wrote:

Gal Root wrote:

If you're into still photography, the discussion is pointless - P30 Pro by a long (LONG!!) mile.

Not really. While the P30 Pro has a much more versatile camera system I could at least equal the wide angle on the iphone using a sandmarc or moment lens/case and in terms of manual control and camera modes the ones on ios seem to be much more refined than the camera apps on android. Losing night mode is definitely a big one though, i'm very surprised a 3rd party app developer hasn't come up with a proper 'night mode' camera app on ios yet. Even if they charged 99p for it they'd make a fortune.

Not sure what you're talking about.. The iPhone's camera app is ridiculously limited. There's literally nothing there.

As I said before, if you're aiming for still photography, there is no reason to consider the iPhone.

Gal Root's gear list:Gal Root's gear list
Canon PowerShot D20 Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +5 more

Neil_s wrote:

Is that vignetting on the main and wide lens? It used to happen occasionally on my Mate 20 Pro wide lens but never on the main. I'm going to order the P30 Pro, I'll be spending a couple of days extensively using the camera then if I'm not happy at the end I can return it

Vignetting is visible only with DNG and more-so with UWA obviously (practically non-existent with 5x tele). It is well corrected in JPG of any kind whether talking about regular 10/40/20/8 MPix or "Uncorrected" JPG taken in PRO (either with/without DNG switched to ON).

DNG has to be corrected by user - which is normal for many lenses (in fact with my M43 gear and bunch of Panasonic/Leica lenses few are vignetting free wide open). As I said it is not a problem e.g. in Lightroom or for best result with CornerFix software. It complicates development process a bit, but DNG will never be as user friendly as JPGs.

-- hide signature --

Vlad

Neil_s wrote:

I'm going to order the P30 Pro, I'll be spending a couple of days extensively using the camera then if I'm not happy at the end I can return it

Just a side note - be prepared to really spent some good time before making conclusions as P30P is pretty complex. Even after 3months of extensive use I am finding new unexpected discoveries :-).

-- hide signature --

Vlad

Jostian
Jostian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,693

Tobamory wrote:

Just be cautious though, ive been an Iphone user for 10 years and using android sucks, its OK but its no Iphone,

Thanks goodness! I feel the opposite, after using iPhone 7 for 2 months I hated the limitations and dependencies, and lack of customisation options, and went back to Android. But to each their own. Only thing iOS has is a slightly more refined OS, but functionality wise I go with Android.

ive percavered because the P30 has dual sim, so I can stick works sim in it, just wish apple would allow a proper 2 sim model and not Esim.

-- hide signature --
 Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +5 more
JT26 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,713

I had the P20 Pro and now have the iPhone XS... P20 pro is so so so much better. The only thing on par with the iPhone is their HDR feature. Cant shoot RAW without significant hassles. Crap resolution too. Just unimpressed overall.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads