Dead pixels on Z7

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
CaptD Senior Member • Posts: 2,231
Dead pixels on Z7

So, what's the protocol with dead pixels? I have about seven on my Z7 sensor. Only a couple visible from time to time with the right subject matter. Not a terrible pain, but, not perfect obviously.

I haven't done a video test yet, although I have not noticed and dead pixels in the simple vids I have done.

Is this a send it back kinda scenario or a live with it situation?

Thanks,

-- hide signature --
 CaptD's gear list:CaptD's gear list
Nikon Z7
Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 7,913
Re: Dead pixels on Z7

Performing two back-to-back Clean Image Sensor "Clean Now" invocations will trigger the hot pixel remapping logic.

OP CaptD Senior Member • Posts: 2,231

Horshack wrote:

Performing two back-to-back Clean Image Sensor "Clean Now" invocations will trigger the hot pixel remapping logic.

Can you expand on this? I'm not familiar with 'hot pixel remapping logic,' Thanks!

-- hide signature --
Nikon Z7

CaptD wrote:

Horshack wrote:

Can you expand on this? I'm not familiar with 'hot pixel remapping logic,' Thanks!

It's a feature within Nikon's firmware that scans the sensor for hot pixels and remaps them so they're no longer visible in images. The actual implementation of how it does the remapping is by interpolating from the nearby pixels.

Horshack wrote:

CaptD wrote:

Horshack wrote:

It's a feature within Nikon's firmware that scans the sensor for hot pixels and remaps them so they're no longer visible in images. The actual implementation of how it does the remapping is by interpolating from the nearby pixels.

Thank you! I'll give it a shot.

-- hide signature --
Nikon Z7

CaptD wrote:

Horshack wrote:

CaptD wrote:

Horshack wrote:

Thank you! I'll give it a shot.

Fixed! Thank you so much!

-- hide signature --
Nikon Z7
sirhawkeye64 Senior Member • Posts: 2,699

Horshack wrote:

If it was me, I'd still maybe consider sending it back.  It could be a sign of a bigger problem that may get worse over time, and may likely show its ugly head again after the warranty....  Granted 7 dead pixels on a 45MP camera isn't that many, unless they are all clustered together.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X-T30 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +13 more

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

Horshack wrote:

If it was me, I'd still maybe consider sending it back. It could be a sign of a bigger problem that may get worse over time, and may likely show its ugly head again after the warranty.... Granted 7 dead pixels on a 45MP camera isn't that many, unless they are all clustered together.

Nearly every Nikon body I've owned has developed dead pixels on the sensor over time. There are possibly hundreds of them at the time of manufacture that get mapped out during production using the same process described in this thread.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads