Just got a Z7 to complement my D850. Initial expressions:

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Tailslol Junior Member • Posts: 48
Just got a Z7 to complement my D850. Initial expressions:

I really don't like the EVF so far. Not Nikon's EVF, but EVF in general. When I pan, the lag is  noticeable, I know that I'm not looking at what's happening but what has happened already. Also the viewfinder feels smaller than D850. Maybe it's not smaller but since I'm looking at pixels, it feels "less" somehow. So I do prefer OVF over EVF for now.

Continuous shooting is really laggy, I didn't try shooting fast action yet but when I tried the continuous modes, the lag makes it difficult to track anything. I'll probably get used to it eventually but for now this is a vastly different experience compared to a DSLR.

AF in low light is definitely slower than D850. I tried focusing to random objects in dim light and Z7 just keeps trying to acquire AF over and over. Maybe the final result is the same as D850, sometimes it does get it sometimes it doesn't, but D850 gets there quicker whether it did acquire it or it didn't. Z7 keeps hunting for longer, for sure.

The ergonomics are fine, I'm still getting used to the locations of the FN buttons to switch between AF modes and the new shooting modes button, which does feel awkward because there's a separate dial for that in D850. But the machine feels very well built and looks terrific as well. Same as D850.

The 24-70 Kit lens is small and light enough. I didn't do any tests on it since we already know that it's a great performing lens. So with that 24-70 I finally have a really small and lightweight package to carry with me at all times. Just need to get some 72-77 adapter to use my 77mm filters on it.

The buffer is very small. Especially with continuous extended, the Z7 slows down immediately. So that's gonna be quite different compared to D850. When I shoot birds with D850 I can track them for several seconds and keep firing. With Z7 I will be more careful as to when to hit the shutter.

The eye AF seems to work in good light, I tried it on my girlfriend and it kept the focus point on her eye but I only tried it with 24-70 f4 so the DOF was big enough. Maybe with a 1.4 lens it'll focus on the lashes like some people posted. I want to take it to landscape shooting as soon as possible, but for now I'll bring my D850 with me in case  I need to track any wildlife. I'm sure I can get some decent images from Z7 as well once I master the AF modes, but with D850 it'll be just easier.

Tailslol's gear list:Tailslol's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +3 more
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
photographytragic New Member • Posts: 12
Re: Just got a Z7 to complement my D850. Initial expressions:

I like that you used the word "complement" the D850... great companions.
I'm betting there there is still coming a full alternative to the D850, and it will in some way be "egonomically larger".
Hope the viewfinder lag is better by then too!

Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 32,003

Tailslol wrote:

I really don't like the EVF so far. Not Nikon's EVF, but EVF in general. When I pan, the lag is noticeable, I know that I'm not looking at what's happening but what has happened already. Also the viewfinder feels smaller than D850. Maybe it's not smaller but since I'm looking at pixels, it feels "less" somehow. So I do prefer OVF over EVF for now.

Interesting. I also have a D850 and a Z7 and was not a fan of EVF's, until I tried the Z7. I find the EVF of the Z7 is much *bigger* than the D850, which feels small in comparison.

Continuous shooting is really laggy, I didn't try shooting fast action yet but when I tried the continuous modes, the lag makes it difficult to track anything. I'll probably get used to it eventually but for now this is a vastly different experience compared to a DSLR.

Again, interesting. Some people must really notice lag, I don't.

AF in low light is definitely slower than D850. I tried focusing to random objects in dim light and Z7 just keeps trying to acquire AF over and over. Maybe the final result is the same as D850, sometimes it does get it sometimes it doesn't, but D850 gets there quicker whether it did acquire it or it didn't. Z7 keeps hunting for longer, for sure.

Again, interesting. I find the low light AF performance at least as good as the D850 if not better.

The ergonomics are fine, I'm still getting used to the locations of the FN buttons to switch between AF modes and the new shooting modes button, which does feel awkward because there's a separate dial for that in D850. But the machine feels very well built and looks terrific as well. Same as D850.

The 24-70 Kit lens is small and light enough. I didn't do any tests on it since we already know that it's a great performing lens. So with that 24-70 I finally have a really small and lightweight package to carry with me at all times. Just need to get some 72-77 adapter to use my 77mm filters on it.

The buffer is very small. Especially with continuous extended, the Z7 slows down immediately. So that's gonna be quite different compared to D850. When I shoot birds with D850 I can track them for several seconds and keep firing. With Z7 I will be more careful as to when to hit the shutter.

The eye AF seems to work in good light, I tried it on my girlfriend and it kept the focus point on her eye but I only tried it with 24-70 f4 so the DOF was big enough. Maybe with a 1.4 lens it'll focus on the lashes like some people posted. I want to take it to landscape shooting as soon as possible, but for now I'll bring my D850 with me in case I need to track any wildlife. I'm sure I can get some decent images from Z7 as well once I master the AF modes, but with D850 it'll be just easier.

I guess it depends on how much you want the Z7 to work for you. If there is any negativite thoughts, then it will probably be a burden to get to get the best from it and thus enjoy it. I have had the Z7 since the first week of October and have basically rarely used my D850 since getting the Z7 as it really has been a revelation in ease of use and being joyful to use. The Z mount lenses are also a revelation. The D850 just feels such a brick now and I actually prefer the EVF, as it is implemented in the Z7, over the OVF of the D850.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR +15 more
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 4,234

Tailslol wrote:

I really don't like the EVF so far. Not Nikon's EVF, but EVF in general. When I pan, the lag is noticeable, I know that I'm not looking at what's happening but what has happened already. Also the viewfinder feels smaller than D850. Maybe it's not smaller but since I'm looking at pixels, it feels "less" somehow. So I do prefer OVF over EVF for now.

How are you comparing the two?  Your gear list doesn't include anything in F-mount similar to the 24-70mm f/4 S

The eye AF seems to work in good light, I tried it on my girlfriend and it kept the focus point on her eye but I only tried it with 24-70 f4 so the DOF was big enough. Maybe with a 1.4 lens it'll focus on the lashes like some people posted. I want to take it to landscape shooting as soon as possible, but for now I'll bring my D850 with me in case I need to track any wildlife. I'm sure I can get some decent images from Z7 as well once I master the AF modes, but with D850 it'll be just easier.

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon Df Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +21 more
OP Tailslol Junior Member • Posts: 48

briantilley wrote:

How are you comparing the two? Your gear list doesn't include anything in F-mount similar to the 24-70mm f/4 S

That's true. AF with an F4 lens in dim light would be different compared to AF with a F1.8 lens. Thanks.

Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +3 more

Lance B wrote:

I guess it depends on how much you want the Z7 to work for you. If there is any negativite thoughts, then it will probably be a burden to get to get the best from it and thus enjoy it. I have had the Z7 since the first week of October and have basically rarely used my D850 since getting the Z7 as it really has been a revelation in ease of use and being joyful to use. The Z mount lenses are also a revelation. The D850 just feels such a brick now and I actually prefer the EVF, as it is implemented in the Z7, over the OVF of the D850.

I definitely want to like it, I bought it didn't I? And I was short on cash so it was a big decision to get a second high end body, first time I'm doing it btw.

But I didn't want to keep buying F lenses anymore.

JacquesC
JacquesC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,851

Give it some time, it takes a while to make the transition from a DSLR to ML. once you get to grips with the differences between a DSLR and ML you may come to appreciate it more and might find that the pros offset the cons.

-- hide signature --

Jacques
apple-and-eve.com

hikerdoc Senior Member • Posts: 2,369

I was pleasantly surprised by the EVF. It was much more realistic and responsive than those I tried some years back. Still getting used to the image which is brighter in EVF than in the actual scene.

The overall ergonomics are very Nikon, but Z7 is noticeably smaller and lighter than what I am used to in D850. Less of a difference with D500.

Using the D850 to shoot birds in frenetic aerial activity (and maybe the same applies to sports such as football), we are already having to anticipate what the bird (or football) is going to do, so it's not great to have to anticipate more again because of a viewfinder that's laggy under high movement. 
I know this will get better, as the Z7 is a revelation by comparison with earlier mirrorless.
Also the D850 makes a much better handle on a 150-600 than a Z7 does.
I'm glad that my Z7 (which I love BTW) is being used for the diametrically opposed case, namely landscapes.

photographytragic wrote:

Using the D850 to shoot birds in frenetic aerial activity (and maybe the same applies to sports such as football), we are already having to anticipate what the bird (or football) is going to do, so it's not great to have to anticipate more again because of a viewfinder that's laggy under high movement.
I know this will get better, as the Z7 is a revelation by comparison with earlier mirrorless.
Also the D850 makes a much better handle on a 150-600 than a Z7 does.
I'm glad that my Z7 (which I love BTW) is being used for the diametrically opposed case, namely landscapes.

I will also use the z7 for landscapes and D850 for wildlife.

Another thing I noticed is that with the D850, for static shots I could manually focus very sharply through the viewfinder, whereas on the Z7, I find the electronic viewfinder's resolution (even though excellent) in some circumstances frustrates this method.

I have put zoom-focus aid on Fn2, and I like that convenience.

If I had to put a figure on it, a halving of the lag and a 30% increase in pixels (both do-able soon) would eliminate my issues.
But the Z7 is still a fantastic camera.
I can more easily now carry both hi-res units on outback hikes
D850 and zoom for birds of prey (gives great options for "telecropping")
Z7 plus small 35mm or so, to print landscapes very large

Veloster75 Contributing Member • Posts: 711

Lance B wrote:

Tailslol wrote:

Interesting. I also have a D850 and a Z7 and was not a fan of EVF's, until I tried the Z7. I find the EVF of the Z7 is much *bigger* than the D850, which feels small in comparison.

Again, interesting. I find the low light AF performance at least as good as the D850 if not better.

Agreed. I sold my D850.  Love the Z7.

-- hide signature --

Have a great life.

Veloster75's gear list:Veloster75's gear list
Nikon Z7 Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Sigma 60-600mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art +10 more
commiebiker Senior Member • Posts: 2,211

It took me about a month to get used to EVF (1st gen Sony)   The Nikon Z's, are way out ahead of Sony's initial offerings

One of the things I love most is reviewing shots in the EVF, and you can't imagine my frustration now using optical viewfinders!

commiebiker's gear list:commiebiker's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D4 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7S Nikon D500 +19 more
Clayton1985 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,390

commiebiker wrote:

It took me about a month to get used to EVF (1st gen Sony) The Nikon Z's, are way out ahead of Sony's initial offerings

One of the things I love most is reviewing shots in the EVF, and you can't imagine my frustration now using optical viewfinders!

Every time I see early reviews or initial impressions from someone not familiar with a system and especially a DSLR user with a new mirrorless system my first thought is that you probably haven't used it nearly as long as you need to in order to have a somewhat informed opinion.

In my view the problem coming from a DSLR is that ironically even though you've bought the mirrorless camera for a reason you still end up evaluating it from a DSLR point of view.  Once you've used the mirrorless system long enough you start to fully appreciate its strengths and you start seeing the limitations of your DSLR that you didn't know existed.  It's hard to do that in the beginning when your baseline and comfort zone is a DSLR.   At some point you can appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of both with a more balanced point of view but in my experience at least that's hard to do in the early going.

Update: Just shot a baby crow jumping around for an hour and for a bird that's not flying I found Z7 to be ok at capturing in focus shots. 24-70 F4S was the lens. I didn't try my F mount glass on Z7 yet. One big advantage of the Z was over D850 was that since the crow is black and the environment was quite bright, the matrix metering most of the time renders the crow too dark. It was good to be able to judge whether I'm getting enough feather details or not directly in the EVF while shooting. With D850 I'd have to shoot and check constantly in a high contrast situation like that. To make things easier I put Exposure Compensation on the focus ring.

Today I'll take a photography trip to near the coastline and try to shoot some BIF with Z7, using 70-200FL and 500PF. I'll post my findings tomorrow.

Here's one decent picture from yesterdays crow shoot. This little guy just wouldn't stop for even a split second, he was moving all around the place and picking up litter trying to eat it, 2 months old. : )
I didn't crop the feet, they are just not there in the picture.

Laslo Varadi
Laslo Varadi Veteran Member • Posts: 5,409

Lance B wrote:

Tailslol wrote:

Hi Lance,

I’m now in both the Sony A9 and Nikon D850 camps. Of course the A9 has no blackout and very little lag, but I still could not come near you as far as BIF.  In capable hands the Z is a fine camera that can do most things very well.  I do find the A9 as the best so far for tracking fast action compared to the Fuji, Olympus and Nikon mirrorless cameras so far that I have tried.  It behaves pretty much as a DLSR.

Laslo Varadi's gear list:Laslo Varadi's gear list
Nikon D850 Sony a9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +10 more
davidjt Forum Member • Posts: 60

Agree with every point. Hands down more enjoyable. Only use for the d850 is wildlife(200-500) or dedicated tripod work where I much prefer the ergonomics of the d850

davidjt's gear list:davidjt's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX1R II Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads