I've been waiting on the new sigma "designed for mirrorless" lenses, and now...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Phil Photo
Phil Photo Contributing Member • Posts: 880
I've been waiting on the new sigma "designed for mirrorless" lenses, and now...

I thought the new, pre-announced a year ago "new sigma lenses, designed exclusively for mirrorless" would be a big win for sony.
For all this time, sigma art lenses had beautiful picture, but the emount versions seemed to basically integrate an adaptor onto the lens.
I was looking forward to a smaller, potentialy lighter set of emount lens to use on my A7ii.

But I was wondering what the holdup was in releasing them.
Seems like the other shoe has dropped.  I'm guessing they were holding the lens announcements, until their own new, L-MOUNT "fp" sigma FF camera was ready to go as well.

So now the new "fp" camera gets announced at the same time their first new "for mirrorless" lens was released

(35mm DG DN F1.2: available in Emount, **and L mount**)

Discuss?

Phil Photo's gear list:Phil Photo's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +5 more
MILC man Senior Member • Posts: 3,363
Re: I've been waiting on the new sigma "designed for mirrorless" lenses, and now...

Phil Photo wrote:

I thought the new, pre-announced a year ago "new sigma lenses, designed exclusively for mirrorless" would be a big win for sony.

it is a big win for sony.

For all this time, sigma art lenses had beautiful picture, but the emount versions seemed to basically integrate an adaptor onto the lens.

it puts the rear element at the same distance from the sensor, just like with a dslr.

so there is no p.q. penalty, which is pretty clear to anyone who's actually used that glass... I take it that you haven't.

those lenses can also af at up to 15fps af-c on the a9, better than what they can deliver on any dslr, with more accurate af, in part because there isn't any af fine-tuning needed.

I was looking forward to a smaller, potentialy lighter set of emount lens to use on my A7ii.

there are quite a few smaller e-mount lenses on the market already.

Seems like the other shoe has dropped. I'm guessing they were holding the lens announcements, until their own new, L-MOUNT "fp" sigma FF camera was ready to go as well.

So now the new "fp" camera gets announced at the same time their first new "for mirrorless" lens was released

what does any of that have to do with anything.

golfhov Forum Pro • Posts: 10,474
what is there to discuss?

Discuss?

am I missing something?

It is a win for consumers. More choices.

If you are insinuating that Sigma purposely withheld them for some reason you would need to explain.

The FP  also seems to come across as a more niche item then something that will sell in numbers. Still an interesting model BUt I don't see it moving a lot. Obviosly neither does sigma or maybe they wouldn't have offered E mount versions of their new lenses

golfhov's gear list:golfhov's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +11 more
Phil Photo
OP Phil Photo Contributing Member • Posts: 880
Re: what is there to discuss?

golfhov wrote:

If you are insinuating that Sigma purposely withheld them for some reason you would need to explain.

yup. I think perhaps if sigma released the lens earlier, they might have had a lot of Emount sales right away... but now they will have a few (relatively new) customers considering, "well, do I really want to buy this Emount lens, with my A7xxx+kit lens... or do I want to consider selling it/shelving it, and going with the fp+Lmount version?"

The FP also seems to come across as a more niche item then something that will sell in numbers. Still an interesting model BUt I don't see it moving a lot. Obviosly neither does sigma or maybe they wouldn't have offered E mount versions of their new lenses

I think their website is kinda stupid, and doesnt show the product well.

Did you scroll down on
https://www.sigma-global.com/en/cameras/fp-series/
and look at the full 7-way configuration styles they suggest?

Depending on the pricepoint of the FP, I think perhaps it will eat sony low-end sales, where people were considering a cheaper model A7, for video or street photography, etc.
Their more professional film rig (aka "cine style") looks interesting, too.
Not to mention their drone mount.

It wont replace A9, or high-end portrait A7iii use. But for mid to lower end use? maybe?
I would be interested in hearing experienced opinions on this.

Sony a7 II Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +5 more
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 5,538
Re: I've been waiting on the new sigma "designed for mirrorless" lenses, and now...

Phil Photo wrote:

Discuss?

Well - Sigma seems to concentrate on optical quality at a reasonable price on the account of size and weight while Sony seems to concentrate on miniaturization and optical quality at the account of price.

I prefer the latter one - make it as compact and comparable light at any cost and ensure a proper quality control and thus low copy to copy variation. Sony seems to excel on this topic IMHO.

Every new option for the FE mount is extremely welcome and I am happy that Sony encourages 3rd party vendors to compete on ideas and solutions.

Unfortunately the art of fast, comparable lightweight and optically outstanding primes is dominated by only one vendor - Sony - I'd love to see more competition here.

When you look at the GM 24 you'll understand what I mean - currently the best over all fast 24 mm prime with incredible AF and Eye-AF.

Fast primes need IMHO the best thinkable AF - slower primes can live with MFing and I love my Loxia 21 and 35 mm lenses - for more crowded places and portrait situations Sony still wins in every aspect. It almost looks like the pedigree of the walkman is shining though. There was no way around the walkman from Sony the time they produced it. It was by far the best, most compact and lightest of them all.

Looks like with cameras it's quite similar.

Fortunately their recent G and GM lenses fall into the very same category.

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R III Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +9 more
DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 2,584

Phil Photo wrote:

Seems like the other shoe has dropped. I'm guessing they were holding the lens announcements, until their own new, L-MOUNT "fp" sigma FF camera was ready to go as well.

Discuss?

I gotta be blunt here.

We waited a long time for Sigma to produce native FE glass, and I'm pretty disappointed with what they've announced so far.

I prefer compact light lenses. Sigma announced their 45mm f2.8 a few weeks after Samyang released their 45mm f1.8, which was optically excellent at a good price point. Who the hell is gonna be interested in the slow f2.8 Sigma???

Sigma's strategy of optical excellence regardless of size/weight may not be the right direction in the mirrorless market. Panasonic are seemingly going in the same direction. Let's see their sales numbers.

Den

DenImage's gear list:DenImage's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +3 more
joger

DenImage wrote:

Sigma's strategy of optical excellence regardless of size/weight may not be the right direction in the mirrorless market. Panasonic are seemingly going in the same direction. Let's see their sales numbers.

fully agreed - and from the initial indications it's not going to be a winning strategy IMHO - time will tell!!

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

Sony a7R III Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +9 more
Phil Photo

joger wrote:

Phil Photo wrote:

Discuss?

Well - Sigma seems to concentrate on optical quality at a reasonable price on the account of size and weight while Sony seems to concentrate on miniaturization and optical quality at the account of price.

I prefer the latter one - make it as compact and comparable light at any cost and ensure a proper quality control and thus low copy to copy variation. Sony seems to excel on this topic IMHO.

good point.. seems like things are "same as they ever were" in that regard, in the Sony/Sigma wars.

So far, their new L mounts are not suddenly as light as sony lenses. Or even close to.

I for one am glad of the choice though. Having children to sustain, I will choose to trade weight for money when possible 

TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 8,351

DenImage wrote:

I gotta be blunt here.

We waited a long time for Sigma to produce native FE glass, and I'm pretty disappointed with what they've announced so far.

I prefer compact light lenses. Sigma announced their 45mm f2.8 a few weeks after Samyang released their 45mm f1.8, which was optically excellent

Seen a bench test?

at a good price point. Who the hell is gonna be interested in the slow f2.8 Sigma???

Den

Sure -- they never do any product marketing, so they always make the wrong decisions.

Sigma have clearly stated they are getting out of the cheap budget alternative lens market (their former market position) as its profitability was on the wane, and their strategy now revolves around top-end optics while still being well-priced.

If that is not what you want, then shop with another brand. Maybe Samyang. I am totally sceptical about your flat-out claim that a $399 45mm f/1.8 lens is "optically excellent", and will wager that the wide open performance away from the centre will betray it compared to a bigger and pricier 45-50mm f/1.8 lens, like the Nikon 50mm Z.

One has to pick one's balance between price/size/optics/speed when choosing a lens. If optics is your least need and size+speed is your highest need, then Sigma are not looking for you to buy their lenses. Not any more. They are looking for photographers with higher standards, and it makes sense when the bodies are $1500-$4,000, that the owner should have standards higher than what they could have settled for in smaller formats.

cheers

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
TN Args

Phil Photo wrote:

Also outp[erf

Discuss?

I don't accept your conspiracy theory. Maybe the fp with the 45/2.8 lens, but not the 35 Art.

The old 35 Art is their oldest and optically weakest Art prime, so the new model is very timely, not so much for fp, but for A7RIII and S1R cameras. Note that the old 1.4 is 665g and the new 1.2 is 1090g, so it will be a big step up optically, not merely half a stop faster.

cheers

Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
joger

Phil Photo wrote:

I for one am glad of the choice though.

I guess there is a common agreement that the FE mount is currently offering lots ( if not the most ) of options. This can never be a bad thing

I am utterly happy to get such top notch lenses - the only downside is one have to make choices since ( financial ) resources are not infinite. 

-- hide signature --

TN Args wrote:

DenImage wrote:

I gotta be blunt here.

I prefer compact light lenses. Sigma announced their 45mm f2.8 a few weeks after Samyang released their 45mm f1.8, which was optically excellent

Seen a bench test?

No

at a good price point. Who the hell is gonna be interested in the slow f2.8 Sigma???

Den

Sure -- they never do any product marketing, so they always make the wrong decisions.

Being sarcastic isn't a convincing counter opinion, it's just childish.

Sigma have clearly stated they are getting out of the cheap budget alternative lens market (their former market position) as its profitability was on the wane, and their strategy now revolves around top-end optics while still being well-priced.

Really? I never heard or read anything from Sigma about that. Please post a link where they state that?

If that is not what you want, then shop with another brand. Maybe Samyang. I am totally sceptical about your flat-out claim that a $399 45mm f/1.8 lens is "optically excellent"

My brick wall samples from the Samyang 45mm I had:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4401572

Fred Miranda's Samyang 45mm thread with Samples:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1595630/

Big Bronco Samyang 45mm test and samples:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1601002/0

All look "optically excellent" to me.

, and will wager that the wide open performance away from the centre will betray it compared to a bigger and pricier 45-50mm f/1.8 lens, like the Nikon 50mm Z.

I never said it would. My post was clearly stating that compact/lighter lenses are my preference over larger/heavier lenses with optical excellence as a priority.

One has to pick one's balance between price/size/optics/speed when choosing a lens. If optics is your least need and size+speed is your highest need, then Sigma are not looking for you to buy their lenses. Not any more.

See my request for a link above where Sigma stated that?

They are looking for photographers with higher standards, and it makes sense when the bodies are $1500-$4,000, that the owner should have standards higher than what they could have settled for in smaller formats.

Yes, that was my point in my post.

cheers

Den

Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +3 more
bloodlmt Forum Member • Posts: 99

I'll never buy or invest in any system that still use contrast based AF in 2019

Sony is on the top of AF game so I'd stick with them and use Sigma lens until competition catch up or surpass sony in few years

TN Args

DenImage wrote:

TN Args wrote:

DenImage wrote:

I gotta be blunt here.

Seen a bench test?

No

Den

Still, it's factual and appropriate to remind you that they base their decisions on market research, when you seemingly doubt it. Internet warriors telling manufacturers that they are going about their business the wrong way, now that is childish. Hence humorous reply.

Really? I never heard or read anything from Sigma about that. Please post a link where they state that?

Link . This isn't where I previously saw it, but first one that came up on Google.

"Shifting our brand to a more premium range was definitely a good move."

If that is not what you want, then shop with another brand. Maybe Samyang. I am totally sceptical about your flat-out claim that a $399 45mm f/1.8 lens is "optically excellent"

Not great

Can't go through 20 pages

Not great, but excellent value.

, and will wager that the wide open performance away from the centre will betray it compared to a bigger and pricier 45-50mm f/1.8 lens, like the Nikon 50mm Z.

I never said it would. My post was clearly stating that compact/lighter lenses are my preference over larger/heavier lenses with optical excellence as a priority.

One has to pick one's balance between price/size/optics/speed when choosing a lens. If optics is your least need and size+speed is your highest need, then Sigma are not looking for you to buy their lenses. Not any more.

Yes

TN Args wrote:

DenImage wrote:

TN Args wrote:

DenImage wrote:

I gotta be blunt here.

Seen a bench test?

No

Den

Still, it's factual and appropriate to remind you that they base their decisions on market research, when you seemingly doubt it. Internet warriors telling manufacturers that they are going about their business the wrong way

I posted my opinion here in a forum, which is what an open forum is for.

, now that is childish. Hence humorous reply.

Nah your reply wasn't humorous, just childish and arrogant.

Link . This isn't where I previously saw it, but first one that came up on Google.

"Shifting our brand to a more premium range was definitely a good move."

Lol, so you think their "well-priced" $559 U.S "7-blade rounded diaphragm" FE 45mm f2.8 lens is more "premium" and a "good move" and based on Sigma's market research?

Haha, I mean all I ever see and hear nowadays is how many people are screaming out for a 45mm f2.8 prime lens with 7-blade aperture for a whopping "well-priced" $559 U.S 😂

I think it's a disappointment, and predict sales for it will be lacklustre at best.

Not great

Looks great to me.

Can't go through 20 pages

I didn't think you would, as a "keyboard warrior" you wouldn't enjoy reading all the complementary posts about the Samyang lens from others in that thread.

Not great, but excellent value.

Everyone else in the thread (including the reviewer) is complementary about the Samyang lens optical performance. Maybe you should post your "keyboard warrior" comments in there?

Yes

Den

Re: what is there to discuss?

Phil Photo wrote:

golfhov wrote:

yup. I think perhaps if sigma released the lens earlier, they might have had a lot of Emount sales right away... but now they will have a few (relatively new) customers considering, "well, do I really want to buy this Emount lens, with my A7xxx+kit lens... or do I want to consider selling it/shelving it, and going with the fp+Lmount version?"

Interesting theory. I just don't see it

The FP also seems to come across as a more niche item then something that will sell in numbers. Still an interesting model BUt I don't see it moving a lot. Obviosly neither does sigma or maybe they wouldn't have offered E mount versions of their new lenses

I think their website is kinda stupid, and doesnt show the product well.

Did you scroll down on
https://www.sigma-global.com/en/cameras/fp-series/
and look at the full 7-way configuration styles they suggest?

Interesting to that the first four or five are clear video rigs AND they even have the FP labeled "video concept" in one of the first pics

Depending on the pricepoint of the FP,

Which we will see. I haven't seen any indication that it is a value

I think perhaps it will eat sony low-end sales, where people were considering a cheaper model A7, for video or street photography, etc.

I dunno. We gotta see something. We already know there isn't a mechanical bshutter and that creates issues. We haven't seen enough else about performance to discuss.

Their more professional film rig (aka "cine style") looks interesting, too.

Here is where I see some appeal

Not to mention their drone mount.

Yup BUT you still need a big drone. This needs a lens. Smallest of which BY FAR in L is the 45

It wont replace A9, or high-end portrait A7iii use.

Or the R line

But for mid to lower end use? maybe?

Always "maybe".

I would be interested in hearing experienced opinions on this.

We need more information. It's hard for any of us to have "experienced" opinions. BUT to eat away the low end first the camera has to be priced low(unknown), perform(unknown), and have lenses that match. That last one is a known. They don't exist

Panasonic LX10 Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +11 more
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,923

I've heard of Sony fan boys and MILC fan boys... but Sigma fan boys? That's a new one

Yes, the 45 2.8 is completely pointless. I'm no fan of Samyang but I'd gladly pocket the $100 or whatever and collect my 1 1/3 stop more speed.

Sigma chasing the top end is a mistake. It's a crowded space in Sony FE land. There is already Sony GM, Zeiss, Cosina Voightlander etc. all in the $1000+ range. Sigma itself has a bunch of ART primes close to that $1000 mark. What else is there? With Sony, Nikon and the L-consortium seemingly committed to selling lenses no less than $800, seems like a huge opportunity across mounts. Sigma should be looking to go the other way and creating a basic lens lineup to share across these new FF MILC systems. Under $500 and 500g when possible. Look no further than the success of their crop 1.4 primes to see how well such a strategy could work.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
Phil Photo

sportyaccordy wrote:

Sigma chasing the top end is a mistake. It's a crowded space in Sony FE land. There is already Sony GM, Zeiss, Cosina Voightlander etc. all in the $1000+ range. Sigma itself has a bunch of ART primes close to that $1000 mark. What else is there? With Sony, Nikon and the L-consortium seemingly committed to selling lenses no less than $800, seems like a huge opportunity across mounts. Sigma should be looking to go the other way and creating a basic lens lineup to share across these new FF MILC systems. Under $500 and 500g when possible. Look no further than the success of their crop 1.4 primes to see how well such a strategy could work.

I dunno...

I do have one of their F1.4 lenses, and I love it. They should definitely keep doing those.

That being said... not many F1.2 AF choices in Emount space. So... Seems like that could be a very viable strategy for them also.

Dont see why they couldnt do both.

sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,923

Phil Photo wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

I dunno...

I do have one of their F1.4 lenses, and I love it. They should definitely keep doing those.

That being said... not many F1.2 AF choices in Emount space. So... Seems like that could be a very viable strategy for them also.

Dont see why they couldnt do both.

I'm not saying they should stop stuff like the ART line. Just that there seems to be way more opportunity and demand below it than above it. Even in FF I'm sure there are more people looking for ~$500 lenses than $2000-3000 lenses. DSLR lens lineups are proof of that

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
Critical mass

Yup. Aren't choices grand?

ust a few weeks ago there was still griping about a 35 1.8. now that is gone PLUS an additional option. There are currently seven native af 35 options? Various flavors of tradeoffs and there can always be an argument made if one wants to be pedantic.

As E mount has grown over the years it just makes it possible for third party makers to introduce more and more nich products. They don't always have to be about price.

70mm macro? Yeah I know this one wasn't an exclusive BUT  Sigma wouldn't have bothered adding a mount a few years ago

Or the new 45 2.8. it doesn't really have a strong sales pitch in E mount BUT there are enough users now that Sigma will probably still sell a few to those that think it offers what they want.

Now that Sigma is going to be working their new mount it is nice to see they are also focusing on E at the same time.

Happy days

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads