Got a 1/2 off coupon for Capture One Pro 12 sitting in my inbox

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 12,783
Got a 1/2 off coupon for Capture One Pro 12 sitting in my inbox

I use mostly Lightroom (standalone 6.14) some Photoshop (CS5), have DxO that I don't use much at all, it doesn't fit into my workflow.

I'm tempted to get the perpetual license for C1 Pro 12 just to have it and play with it while continuing to use LR which is essential to my workflow. But...

But what am I not seeing here? Is "perpetual license" what I think it is for this offer? What is on the "they don't tell you this but..." list that I'm not considering?

My D800 and soon to be D850/Z7 are supported.

I may or may not actually wind up using it like I do Lightroom, but who knows, I'd have a perpetual license. It's got to happen today though.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
gaul Contributing Member • Posts: 785
50% coupon .. I got a 30% myself for C1 v12 literally days ago

Count yourself lucky

gugarci Senior Member • Posts: 1,616
Re: Got a 1/2 off coupon for Capture One Pro 12 sitting in my inbox

That's how I did it. At the time I was using LR 5.7 when the news broke out about Adobe's new subscription plans. Shortly afterwards Phase One had a sale & was offering C1P 7, current version, for 50% off. I decided to jump on the opportunity because I hateed the subscription idea & have never looked back.

gugarci's gear list:gugarci's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +3 more
Jim B (MSP) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,804

toomanycanons wrote:

I use mostly Lightroom (standalone 6.14) some Photoshop (CS5), have DxO that I don't use much at all, it doesn't fit into my workflow.

I have been using LR Classic as my main editor. With it I get the latest PS which I use on some of my better photos.  I have also been playing with focus stacking of macros with this combo.

I'm tempted to get the perpetual license for C1 Pro 12 just to have it and play with it while continuing to use LR which is essential to my workflow. But...

I used CO from about vers 2 up to vers 7 when they dropped support for Media Pro. I then went to LR full time.

But I picked up the latest CO, vers 12, about 6 months ago. I really like it for editing by "best" shots. Like all software, it has its strengths and weaknesses.

It's catalog, or DAM , is a huge weakness.

My current work uses LR as my DAM for all of my photos. I rate, cull, and keyword in LR. I have LR make a sidecar xmp file for all my photos. I do all my initial post processing in LR. It is still pretty good for that, especially for large number of photos.

I then take my "best" raw photos into CO for post work that I will print of show off. I can easily select them in LR, go to Win Explorer, and simply click and drag them into an open window of CO. CO then imports them into a catalog. From there I can do my post work, and send it to PS if I want or need to.

I personally like the layers in CO. I also really like how CO handles color. CO's sharpening, while perhaps a bit better than LR, is not as good as Topaz's Detail which I use. CO also doesn't handle the really high ISO shots I take with my Canon 80D well. I prefer LR's NR; though I can take my CO shot into PS and finish the noise reduction with Noiseware.

But what am I not seeing here? Is "perpetual license" what I think it is for this offer? What is on the "they don't tell you this but..." list that I'm not considering?

I think you are ok as long as you can get the full  Pro version.

I may or may not actually wind up using it like I do Lightroom, but who knows, I'd have a perpetual license. It's got to happen today though.

Get it. You will like it.

-- hide signature --

Jim
"It's all about the light"

Jim B (MSP)'s gear list:Jim B (MSP)'s gear list
Canon EOS 80D
OP toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 12,783

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

toomanycanons wrote:

I have been using LR Classic as my main editor. With it I get the latest PS which I use on some of my better photos. I have also been playing with focus stacking of macros with this combo.

I used CO from about vers 2 up to vers 7 when they dropped support for Media Pro. I then went to LR full time.

But I picked up the latest CO, vers 12, about 6 months ago. I really like it for editing by "best" shots. Like all software, it has its strengths and weaknesses.

My current work uses LR as my DAM for all of my photos. I rate, cull, and keyword in LR. I have LR make a sidecar xmp file for all my photos. I do all my initial post processing in LR. It is still pretty good for that, especially for large number of photos.

I then take my "best" raw photos into CO for post work that I will print of show off. I can easily select them in LR, go to Win Explorer, and simply click and drag them into an open window of CO. CO then imports them into a catalog. From there I can do my post work, and send it to PS if I want or need to.

I personally like the layers in CO. I also really like how CO handles color. CO's sharpening, while perhaps a bit better than LR, is not as good as Topaz's Detail which I use. CO also doesn't handle the really high ISO shots I take with my Canon 80D well. I prefer LR's NR; though I can take my CO shot into PS and finish the noise reduction with Noiseware.

I think you are ok as long as you can get the full Pro version.

Essential for my workflow is the ability to keyword in Lightroom and generate XMP sidecar files for one of my clients (I give them the raws + XMP).  Also importing entire folders with a raw preset.  I work with fairly large folders of images and can do most of my work in LR.

Can you do what you'd call a "finished job" on your raws in Lightroom or have you found you really need to take the "best" into C1?   I'm really not doing a 100% finished processing with my stuff, my clients like to take the raws or tiffs I send them and tweak even more.

EE-TV
EE-TV Senior Member • Posts: 1,480

toomanycanons wrote:

Pretty sure it is only for the astronomically-priced "with Styles" package that has the "deal".

Would be highly surprised if it's for the Capture One on its own License .

-- hide signature --

Bringing to light, Exposing what is
---------------------------------------------------

EE-TV's gear list:EE-TV's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D40 Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro +4 more
peweg8 Junior Member • Posts: 41

I've been using C1 for years and gladly took advantage of a 50% discount offer I received a few weeks ago. You won't be disappointed with Capture One. There is a learning curve, but it's worth putting in the time to get your head around it. The layers, masking, and color tools put it ahead of LR as a raw processing tool IMO. If you're going to use both LR and C1, I recommend John Beardsworth's Opendirectly plugin. It allows you to send a photo right from LR and have it open in C1. Pretty handy.

EE-TV wrote:

toomanycanons wrote:

Pretty sure it is only for the astronomically-priced "with Styles" package that has the "deal".

I agree - anyone with any decent processing experience doesn't need or won't need the styles.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Canon EOS 80D

toomanycanons wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

toomanycanons wrote:

I have been using LR Classic as my main editor. With it I get the latest PS which I use on some of my better photos. I have also been playing with focus stacking of macros with this combo.

I think you are ok as long as you can get the full Pro version.

Essential for my workflow is the ability to keyword in Lightroom and generate XMP sidecar files for one of my clients (I give them the raws + XMP). Also importing entire folders with a raw preset. I work with fairly large folders of images and can do most of my work in LR.

Can you do what you'd call a "finished job" on your raws in Lightroom

Yes I can, and I have done this for quite a few years.

I would say that I generally use Photoshop with its masking to truly finish my best shots.

or have you found you really need to take the "best" into C1?

I don't "need to"; but I really like the results I get. I don't have to do as much work in PS on the LR created tiffs.

I'm really not doing a 100% finished processing with my stuff, my clients like to take the raws or tiffs I send them and tweak even more.

I don't have clients. If I did, I'd probably stick with LR for all my client work.

But I would use CO on my personal work.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Canon EOS 80D

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

EE-TV wrote:

toomanycanons wrote:

I agree - anyone with any decent processing experience doesn't need or won't need the styles.

Oops.  I just checked the date on the email I got from Capture One and indeed it was four days ago.   So the code I got (yes, for 50% off Capture One Pro 12 without Styles if I so chose, perpetual license, ya know the real deal) is already expired.  Oh well.  That's the second time I got that offer.

I guess if I was dissatisfied with the software/workflow I have currently it would be different, but, as they say, my workflow needs aren't the next guy's needs.

Good to get everyone's opinion anyway for the next time I get this offer...if ever.

da7329 Regular Member • Posts: 345

I think 50% off is for Fuji and Sony versions.  30% off for the general version.  My code is valid to July 30.

Van Griff Senior Member • Posts: 1,433

toomanycanons wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

EE-TV wrote:

toomanycanons wrote:

Oops. I just checked the date on the email I got from Capture One and indeed it was four days ago. So the code I got (yes, for 50% off Capture One Pro 12 without Styles if I so chose, perpetual license, ya know the real deal) is already expired. Oh well. That's the second time I got that offer.

I guess if I was dissatisfied with the software/workflow I have currently it would be different, but, as they say, my workflow needs aren't the next guy's needs.

Good to get everyone's opinion anyway for the next time I get this offer...if ever.

tmc

Try inserting your coupon code into the code window on your order form . . . sometimes the codes still work even a few days after they have theoretically expired . . . you might get lucky.

Best,

V G

Van Griff's gear list:Van Griff's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +31 more
I did it

What the heck, it's a perpetual license and sooner or later I'll have played with it enough to get comfortable with it.

Yeah, it did take my Super Secret Code and, yes, I did pay $150 for C1 Pro 12 full version, single user and two computers.  I guess they figured the weekend was part of the 48 hour time limit from four days ago   I'm downloading it now but who knows when I'll have time to really delve into it but, hey, I did it. Thanks for everyone's responses.

I must have had a trial or two back in the day with previous versions, as obviously my email was in their database.  That was so long ago I don't remember anything about processing with C1.  Guess it's not even the same software now, it's going to be fun re-learning it and making it work for me.

When I can take time away from all the work I'm doing daily using LR, wish me luck 

I'm trying to learn DaVinci Resolve 15 as well...in my spare time.  Not being a video guy makes that a daunting task.  Tutorials start out as if I already know what I'm doing.

Leandros S Senior Member • Posts: 2,132
Here's where they screwed the pooch

Aside from raising prices quite dramatically generally, Phase One has been starting to offer different combinations of styles together with C1. They had a fairly good styles package going late last year when I didn't have the money and was also wondering if the styles packages would be useful for me. From most of what I've seen, there's about one or two in each styles package that I might actually enjoy and use.

The way they've priced it, the ONLY time the styles will be worth buying is if you do so WITH the software itself, and because of the expense, once I purchase C1, I would not upgrade for the next several years, and upgraders probably do not get the same styles deals as first timers anyway.

So until they change their pricing or my perfect C1+styles package happens to come along at a reasonable price, I probably will not be buying.

-- hide signature --

Loving aperture rings, focus throw, distance scales... and perpetual licenses.

Anyone with a 50% voucher going spare?

I would appreciate getting one as I only got a 30% offer, and it makes a difference to me right now. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Loving aperture rings, focus throw and distance scales.

gaul Contributing Member • Posts: 785
Re: Anyone with a 50% voucher going spare? => Same here, only got 30%

Leandros S wrote:

I would appreciate getting one as I only got a 30% offer, and it makes a difference to me right now. Thanks.

Same here, only got 30%

Much appreciated!

Re: Anyone with a 50% voucher going spare? => Same here, only got 30%

gaul wrote:

Leandros S wrote:

Same here, only got 30%

Much appreciated!

Well, do as I did.  Do a trial or two, show interest in their product (like I guess I did a long time ago) be on their mailing list, wait a few years...worked for me!

I never got the 30% discount offer.  I'm in the US of A, maybe that makes a difference?  Who knows what their algorithms use to choose to send out the 50% offer to.

If it had "only" been 30% for my offer I wouldn't have done it.  As it is, the $150 I did spend could have gone towards a new lens but I'm having no regrets.  I'm slowly working my way through C1 tutorials as trying to dive into it blind hasn't worked so far. It's not Lightroom that's for sure.

Still valid

For anyone wondering, they seem to still be valid.

-- hide signature --

Loving aperture rings, focus throw and distance scales.

DenWil
DenWil Veteran Member • Posts: 3,917
Re: Here's where they screwed the pooch

Leandros S wrote:

Aside from raising prices quite dramatically generally, Phase One has been starting to offer different combinations of styles together with C1. They had a fairly good styles package going late last year when I didn't have the money and was also wondering if the styles packages would be useful for me. From most of what I've seen, there's about one or two in each styles package that I might actually enjoy and use.

The way they've priced it, the ONLY time the styles will be worth buying is if you do so WITH the software itself, and because of the expense, once I purchase C1, I would not upgrade for the next several years, and upgraders probably do not get the same styles deals as first timers anyway.

So until they change their pricing or my perfect C1+styles package happens to come along at a reasonable price, I probably will not be buying.

Guess ignorance is bliss...I don't even know what a styles package is so I'll never miss not having it- or all of them.

-- hide signature --

dw

Re: Still valid

Leandros S wrote:

For anyone wondering, they seem to still be valid.

What is still valid? The 50% code I used or the 30% code everyone else got?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads