Lavender Field Visit

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
HaroldC3
HaroldC3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,421
Lavender Field Visit

I went to visit a somewhat local (3-hour drive) lavender field on Saturday.  It's a pretty popular field with quite a few visitors.  It was nice to get out though and smell the wonderful fragrance.

Just for fun I also took an IR image.  I'm not sure I like how the lavender looks.

HaroldC3's gear list:HaroldC3's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +1 more
robbert100 Contributing Member • Posts: 629
Re: Lavender Field Visit

Hi HaroldC3,

what kind of IR filter is your EOS M equipped with?

It looks like that the 15-45 lens is a excellent choice for IR photography; no hot spot to be seen.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Rob
www.namaqualand.wordpress.com

robbert100's gear list:robbert100's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M10 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +2 more
HaroldC3
OP HaroldC3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,421

robbert100 wrote:

Hi HaroldC3,

what kind of IR filter is your EOS M equipped with?

It looks like that the 15-45 lens is a excellent choice for IR photography; no hot spot to be seen.

It's a 660nm conversion so I don't need to use any filters.

The 15-45mm has been the perfect choice for IR.  The 18-55mm does have some hot spot issues in certain situations and the 11-22mm I haven't used much but seems to work well also.

Canon EOS M Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +1 more

Thank you Harold!

I do own a IR converted M (the original one) with a standard IR 720nm filter, converted by Lifepixel. Most of the times the blacks are not so deep as I see in your pictures.

The 11-22 is an excellent choice for IR photography but sometimes I need a longer focal distance so the 15-45 would fit the bill. I used the 32-1.4 lately for IR, a great lens but a bit limited due to the fixed focal length.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Rob

Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M10 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +2 more
HaroldC3
OP HaroldC3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,421

robbert100 wrote:

Thank you Harold!

I do own a IR converted M (the original one) with a standard IR 720nm filter, converted by Lifepixel. Most of the times the blacks are not so deep as I see in your pictures.

I think that's partially my PP.  After I do the channel swap in PS, I use the Black & White conversion in Image Adjustments in PS and am able to adjust the % of yellow and blue to make them lighter and darker.  Most of the time I reduce the blue to 0% or less (and sometimes adjust Cyan too) and the yellow to 80% or more.

Thank you Harold for your very helpful advice!! I will experiment with these settings in the near future.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Rob

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads