Got myself a new DMC-TZ100 and I have some questions

Started 2 months ago | Questions
Daymoth New Member • Posts: 4
Got myself a new DMC-TZ100 and I have some questions

Hi, this is my first post here but I have been reading the forum a lot since my Nikon P7700 suffered a bad crash that was not worth repairing

So I settled on the TZ/ZS100 and the learning curve is steep! I have been testing the camera for 2 weeks and reading the manual but I still have some issues I could use help with:

- I have finally figured reading some posts about reducing the NR to -5. That has been a game changer since my first outing the photos were horribly soft and I was so ready to return it. Q: do you use a different setting when shooting in low light? When the ISO is high its quite noticeable and I assume he NR -5 doesnt help?

- I cant figure out how to display in the screen only the guidelines, histogram, iso, ss and f. Seems the options are 1. ALL the icons I cant care about + histogram. 2. 1 plus level guide. 3. Nothing, with no histogram. 4. Off. Cant believe this is not configurable and that I eithereget all the clutter or nothing.  Also when I am changing the exposure compensation the histogram disapears... Why? Can that be changed?

- HDR doesnt seem to do anything? (Havent got to understand what iHDR is?) I have tried iDynamic and really like it though. What is the difference between HDR, iHDR, iDynamic or changing the highlight/shadows curve?

- I cant believe that a camera with so many options, most of wich I still dont know what they are useful for, doesnt have an option for long exposures. No built in ND, no thread for physical filter...ok but surely I can merge several shots?? Like even mobile phonespdo that now.  I have found is the multiple exposures but it seems it merges only 4 shots? I really dont want to do this in post. What are people doing? Buying a thread adaptor or something?

- in addition to the Function buttons, can I change say the white balance button? I wish it was for ISO, I barely ever touch wb.

-Re flash, I cant figure if this camera could work with an external flash?

I think thats all for now! Thanks for any tips you can give me!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon Coolpix P7700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
saudidave Senior Member • Posts: 2,001
Re: Got myself a new DMC-TZ100 and I have some questions

Daymoth wrote:

Hi, this is my first post here but I have been reading the forum a lot since my Nikon P7700 suffered a bad crash that was not worth repairing

So I settled on the TZ/ZS100 and the learning curve is steep! I have been testing the camera for 2 weeks and reading the manual but I still have some issues I could use help with:

- I have finally figured reading some posts about reducing the NR to -5. That has been a game changer since my first outing the photos were horribly soft and I was so ready to return it. Q: do you use a different setting when shooting in low light? When the ISO is high its quite noticeable and I assume he NR -5 doesnt help?

- I cant figure out how to display in the screen only the guidelines, histogram, iso, ss and f. Seems the options are 1. ALL the icons I cant care about + histogram. 2. 1 plus level guide. 3. Nothing, with no histogram. 4. Off. Cant believe this is not configurable and that I eithereget all the clutter or nothing. Also when I am changing the exposure compensation the histogram disapears... Why? Can that be changed?

- HDR doesnt seem to do anything? (Havent got to understand what iHDR is?) I have tried iDynamic and really like it though. What is the difference between HDR, iHDR, iDynamic or changing the highlight/shadows curve?

- I cant believe that a camera with so many options, most of wich I still dont know what they are useful for, doesnt have an option for long exposures. No built in ND, no thread for physical filter...ok but surely I can merge several shots?? Like even mobile phonespdo that now. I have found is the multiple exposures but it seems it merges only 4 shots? I really dont want to do this in post. What are people doing? Buying a thread adaptor or something?

- in addition to the Function buttons, can I change say the white balance button? I wish it was for ISO, I barely ever touch wb.

I think thats all for now! Thanks for any tips you can give me!

I had one for the best part of 2 years and learnt a lot.

As well as NR-5, set Sharpness & Contrast to +2 and shoot at all times at the widest aperture available to counter lens diffraction. That is all you need to do!

Regards, Dave

saudidave's gear list:saudidave's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +1 more
OP Daymoth New Member • Posts: 4

Interesting!. I have been shooting landscapes at 5.6 instead of 8 and gave me good dof as far as I can tell.

Is it just at f8 where you notice difracction?

Mikethelaserer Regular Member • Posts: 251

There's an ebook - "Photographer's guide to the Panasonic ZS100/TZ100" by Alexander White. Can't say it's brilliant, but it does give a bit more info about what all the different modes and options are doing.

Once you've set up the NR etc. as SaudiDave has suggested, the best thing is to go out and take lots of pictures. If yours is anything like mine, after a couple of weeks the camera will suddenly decide that it likes you and start producing great results.

Mikethelaserer's gear list:Mikethelaserer's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 NEX5R Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS
kkardster
kkardster Veteran Member • Posts: 9,391

Daymoth wrote:

Interesting!. I have been shooting landscapes at 5.6 instead of 8 and gave me good dof as far as I can tell.

The 1" sensor of the TZ100 is small enough that you'll likely get acceptable DOF at any aperture when shooting landscapes. The camera will stop down when you zoom, so you really needn't worry about setting the widest aperture unless you shoot at the widest setting.

Is it just at f8 where you notice difracction?

Cambridge in Colour's diffraction calculator says no, you won't be diffraction limited until f/11. There may be some impact, but f/5.6 will likely mitigate them. If you're concerned about diffraction, you might consider setting up for A mode @f/4, which should keep you far from the limit except possibly at maximum zoom where the camera will have stopped down to f/5.9.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic ZS100 +5 more
RemyW Regular Member • Posts: 197

Daymoth wrote:

You can customize some of the function buttons to another setting. You can read in the manual how to do that. I myself never did this, but I use my own defined quick menu (available under de "trashcan" button) where I always have quick access to ISO, WB, silent mode, exposure, etc. It takes some time to set that up, but it is extremely useful!

And I always use one of my 3 custom modes (2 'A" and 1 'S") for photo and video. Only in rare cases, if I have extreme difficulty getting a shot correctly I use the iA mode to see if that gets better results.

- Remy

RemyW's gear list:RemyW's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic ZS100
Isola Verde
Isola Verde Veteran Member • Posts: 9,275

To piggyback on an earlier reply....

Not least to check quite which features this camera has, against my other Panasonics, several times now I've found it useful to get the guide written by Alexander S White - called, in this case, "Photographer's Guide to the Panasonic ZS100/TZ100"

I also like having a "second-take" on the way the manual has tried to explain things!

The various electronic versions are relatively inexpensive, and very easy to search through - although I prefer to pay a little more for the printed one.

Available from Amazon, or direct from the Publisher's website - here...

https://whiteknightpress.com/photographers-guide-to-the-panasonic-zs100tz100/

You might like to try this sample excerpt....
http://whiteknightpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/panasoniczs100excerpt.pdf

Peter

Isola Verde's gear list:Isola Verde's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 +10 more
kh1234567890
kh1234567890 Contributing Member • Posts: 519

I just stick mine into the P exposure mode (with -0.3EV comp), leave focus in the default 'face detect' mode, point-and-shoot RAW and do little exposure, noise reduction and smart sharpen tweaks in Photoshop. It works 99.99% of the time.

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/kh1234567890/sets/72157687585421680/

kh1234567890's gear list:kh1234567890's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +15 more
Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 4,394

Daymoth wrote:

... reading the manual but I still have some issues I could use help with ...

Did you download the PDF "Owner's Manual for advanced features"?

The printed "Basic Owner's Manual" that came in the box is just that 'ONLY' the basics.

Really need the PDF "Owner's Manual for advanced features"; grant not the best written manual.

FYI, the PDF manual is searchable which is helpful to find items throughout the manual.

Cheers,
Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic ZS100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D +18 more
Neverlost99
Neverlost99 New Member • Posts: 23

Graham Houghton  on yountube is what you need

saudidave Senior Member • Posts: 2,001

Neverlost99 wrote:

Graham Houghton on yountube is what you need

Graham hasn't reviewed the TZ100 or the 200 for that matter. He has only reviewed small sensor TZ's which are quite different, then he gave up due to the lenses sucking crap in. He is more of a guru on the FZ200/300/1000's. In fact he's the oracle on those, but not the 1" sensor compacts. His general photographic knowledge is unsurpassed though

Dave

saudidave's gear list:saudidave's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +1 more

Yes I have it and have been reading it while I fiddle with the camera. Has loads of stuff but didnt find yet answers to the questions above.

Mikethelaserer wrote:

There's an ebook - "Photographer's guide to the Panasonic ZS100/TZ100" by Alexander White. Can't say it's brilliant, but it does give a bit more info about what all the different modes and options are doing.

Once you've set up the NR etc. as SaudiDave has suggested, the best thing is to go out and take lots of pictures. If yours is anything like mine, after a couple of weeks the camera will suddenly decide that it likes you and start producing great results.

Thanks I will check it!

As you can see from my questions above, its not above taking lots of pictures, wich I already have been doing, but to know if the functions are or not available.

Nobody is doing long exposures?? How are you using ND filters?

Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 4,394

Daymoth wrote:

Yes I have it and have been reading it while I fiddle with the camera. Has loads of stuff but didnt find yet answers to the questions above.

Grant non of the Panasonic camera manuals are written very well, and they just mainly provide a description of what the settings are/ do; basically the same with any current camera manual.

They do not provide 'tutorial how-to info/ directions.

The PDF manual does provide info on some of the items in your questions, though may not be the answer you want.

The Panasonic in-camera JPG noise reduction is overall not that good and has long been a topic of discussion by users in this forum, and in Panasonic cameras online reviews.

As to providing help with images you need to post a couple full size out of camera images with the EXIF data so those 'here' can "see" what you're seeing, and what you're not happy with.

'Low light' is far too vague of a term; as with 'high ISO', need to know the ISO value you're using to provide any useful help.

Using/ adjusting the JPG settings is a on-going learning experience and will vary depending on lighting conditions, ISO setting, etc. as no one setting will be the best in all lighting conditions/ ISO settings.

Same with learning using exposure compensation settings.

- I cant figure out how to display in the screen only the guidelines, histogram, iso, ss and f. Seems the options are 1. ALL the icons I cant care about + histogram. 2. 1 plus level guide. 3. Nothing, with no histogram. 4. Off. Cant believe this is not configurable and that I eithereget all the clutter or nothing. ...

What compact digital camera have you used that allowed you to do the amount customization you've noted?

The ZS100's display options are typical to the other digital compacts I've used.

Guidelines settings are noted on page 55 of the PDF manual; guidlines are not displayed during panorama picture recording.

The five (5) 'available' Display Options are shown on page 53 of the PDF manual.

Histogram settings are noted on page 55 of the PDF manual and though not noted, I've confirmed that Histogram only shown with the "With information" and the
"With information + level guage" display options.

...Also when I am changing the exposure compensation the histogram disapears... Why? ...

When 'adjusting the exposure compensation the display changes to the 'exposure compensation display (for lack of better description).

...Can that be changed?

No.

HDR explained on page 143 of the PDF manual. Basically with high dynamic scenes (bright areas and dark shadows) HDR will take three pictures at three exposure settings selected and combine the three different exposure shots into one image. Hence best used with static subjects as subject movement and/or camera movement during duration of the three shots will cause ghosting or blurring of the image. If you still need more info on HDR, just do a Google search for "HDR".

The "i.Dynamic" and "i.Resolution" are both explained on page 142 of the PDF manual. Both help to 'enhance the JPG image as noted.

The Adjusting highlights and shadows (curve) explained on page 133 of the PDF manual. One needs to have basic knowledge/ understanding of photography exposure basics to use.

The "i.HDR" and other "i." modes are only available in the "i.A" or "i.A+" modes. You'll need to read the "Taking pictures with automatic settings (Intelligent Auto Mode)" pages 88-95 of the PDF manual.

- I cant believe that a camera with so many options, most of wich I still dont know what they are useful for, doesnt have an option for long exposures. No built in ND, no thread for physical filter...ok but surely I can merge several shots?? Like even mobile phonespdo that now. I have found is the multiple exposures but it seems it merges only 4 shots? I really dont want to do this in post. What are people doing? Buying a thread adaptor or something?

Apparently you did not take the time to thoroughly read any of the online "full review" on the TZ100; would had known answers to most of the above questions prior to purchasing.

With all due respect going just by your posted questions, does not appear you have a firm understanding of photography exposure basics, which is beyond the scope of a camera manual to 'teach someone.

If interested look at:
"LEARN PHOTOGRAPHY CONCEPTS" HERE
"DigicamHelp" HERE

Cheers,
Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic ZS100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads