15-85 or 17-70

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
maarensv
maarensv Contributing Member • Posts: 899
Re: 15-85 or 17-70

Jon_T wrote:

maarensv wrote:

<SNIP>

.....Still true though that it is more than with the 17-70, where no single correction finds place 😬

😬 REALLY?

Apparently you did NOT read my first reply posted to OP which I had ALREADYposted the issue.

Been using various Canon film and digital camera's for over 48 years.

You lost me completely now. You say that the 17-70 has less autocorrection (none) than the 15-85, while I say that the 15-85 has more auto correction (not all, that is true) than the 17-70. Isn't that about the same ??

And I did read your post btw.

maarensv's gear list:maarensv's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS R +21 more
ddixon Regular Member • Posts: 168

I own the 15-85 and used it a lot before I went full frame. It's a perfect range, but on the heavy side and slow (aperture). My copy is not super sharp, so be sure to test it if you get one.

The Sigma lens is approx. one stop faster, so I rented one. Yes, it is 2.8-4, but I found the IQ to be not so great wide open. I had to stop it down to the same aperture as my 15-85 to get acceptable results.

Good luck.

ddixon's gear list:ddixon's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Wave forest Regular Member • Posts: 350
Sigma 17-70 C rather than Canon 15-85 IS

If we have to choose between these two: Sigma 17-70 C or Canon 15-85 IS, it would be Sigma 17-70 C.

The reason are:

1. It is about one stop faster, making is more usable in low light situation, such as indoor or evening.

2. It is half price of Canon 15-85 IS.

3. It is very sharp, *if* tuned properly.

There are many reviews online on the two. However, the main difficulty of a Sigma lens is that it has to be tuned and the tuning may take a long time.

I have some discussions in User Experience of Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM C with photos before tuning and after tuning and photos of StillLearning

For many comments which are not happy with the IQ of Sigma 17-70 C, a general issue I read is that they didn't claim they had tuned the lens into its optimal condition. In addition, I don't have the impression that they tried this lens with live view or manual as I did. Apparently, they only tried AF and made the claims. A Sigma lens has to be calibrated and tuned.

If the IQ of live view or manual is okay, the lens will be fine. because for Sigma or other third party lens manufacturers, there is no problem for them to mimic a Canon or Nikon lens, if both camera body and lens are in absolute precision. However, discrepancy on either lens or body, or both, happens and, as a result, variation is inevitable. For a native lens, as long as no obvious defect, i.e. in focus, a customer is happy, but this lens may not at its optimal position at all. This is why a high end camera has AF micro-adjustment.

For a Sigma lens, by calibration, not only can we know it is in focus, but also can we know it is in its optimal position.

To smummarise, Sigma 17-70 C is a better choice - it's reasonably priced, it's more versatile in tough condition and importantly, we can be confident with its AF.

Wave forest's gear list:Wave forest's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 550D Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +1 more
Leo_B
OP Leo_B Regular Member • Posts: 396
Re: Sigma 17-70 C rather than Canon 15-85 IS

Is "tuning" a Sigma lens the same procedure for every Sigma lens? IOW, could the thread you linked be read and applied to any other Sigma lens or would there be variations in the procedure depending on the lens being tuned?

Leo_B's gear list:Leo_B's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
Wave forest Regular Member • Posts: 350
Another reason - It has Macro

It's not that great but it is really enjoyable. The bee is of the size of a mosquito.

Wave forest's gear list:Wave forest's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 550D Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +1 more
Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 4,470

maarensv wrote:

Jon_T wrote:

maarensv wrote:

<SNIP>

.....Still true though that it is more than with the 17-70, where no single correction finds place 😬

😬 REALLY?

Apparently you did NOT read my first reply posted to OP which I had ALREADYposted the issue.

You lost me completely now. You say that the 17-70 has less autocorrection (none) than the 15-85, while I say that the 15-85 has more auto correction (not all, that is true) than the 17-70. Isn't that about the same ??

My response due your:

• Your angry face emoji 😬 ; i.e., " 😬 REALLY? "
• My initial reply HERE was in regards your comment on the the 15-85mm; no need to
   re-tell me about what I've already posted.

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot S110 Panasonic FZ1000 +14 more
maarensv
maarensv Contributing Member • Posts: 899

Jon_T wrote:

maarensv wrote:

Jon_T wrote:

maarensv wrote:

<SNIP>

😬 REALLY?

My response due your:

• Your angry face emoji 😬 ; i.e., " 😬 REALLY? "
• My initial reply HERE was in regards your comment on the the 15-85mm; no need to
re-tell me about what I've already posted.

That wasn't meant as an angry face, but as a grin ...

maarensv's gear list:maarensv's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS R +21 more
Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 4,470
maarensv - emoji

maarensv wrote:

<SNIP>

OK. Don't know what looks like on your system display, but on my Windows 10 system looks more like a grimace...

... than a grin or smile.

Also does not look like any of the DPR's standard emojis:

Closest match would be the DPR's angry emoji.

Does not look like "grin" emoji on any computer or smartphone I've used.

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot S110 Panasonic FZ1000 +14 more
FooHead Regular Member • Posts: 391
Re: maarensv - emoji

Jon_T wrote:

maarensv wrote:

<SNIP>

OK. Don't know what looks like on your system display, but on my Windows 10 system looks more like a grimace...

... than a grin or smile.

Also does not look like any of the DPR's standard emojis:

Closest match would be the DPR's angry emoji.

Does not look like "grin" emoji on any computer or smartphone I've used.

Why don't you guys just chill

FooHead's gear list:FooHead's gear list
Canon EOS 1100D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads