Cybershot DSC HX 400 taking photos with out a memory card inserted

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Jim in DH New Member • Posts: 1
Cybershot DSC HX 400 taking photos with out a memory card inserted

Embarrassingly, I took a number of photos without a memory card inserted in my DSC HX 400. I completely missed the yellow NO CARD warning. Aside from paying more attention, is there a way to write those photos from the buffer? Or is there a menu setting which would keep me from taking photos?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 43,602
Re: Cybershot DSC HX 400 taking photos with out a memory card inserted

No but I think the Sony cameras I own have a menu option that prevents you from taking any photos without a card inserted.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 13,910

Jim in DH wrote:

... is there a way to write those photos from the buffer?

Nope.

Or is there a menu setting which would keep me from taking photos?

Nope.

tbcass wrote:

No but I think the Sony cameras I own have a menu option that prevents you from taking any photos without a card inserted.

I'll bet you won't find it on your A77II. There are lots of Sony cameras that don't have the 'Release w/o Card' on/off option. That's the option the OP wants but doesn't have, according to the HX400 documentation.

lomoapontaechuta Regular Member • Posts: 270

Jim in DH wrote:

Embarrassingly, I took a number of photos without a memory card inserted in my DSC HX 400. I completely missed the yellow NO CARD warning. Aside from paying more attention, is there a way to write those photos from the buffer? Or is there a menu setting which would keep me from taking photos?

That feature saved me a couple of times, going 30 kms out and then finding out that I forgot the freaking card...

But fortunately my HX50 manage  to store up to 9 shots with no card, so not a totally waste of time when this happen . I just have to be much more selective in the shooting session and do the sorting at the spot.

Later, when I arrive home I put  the card in the camera, and I do the following.

I go to the Menu ( where you set sounds, settings, time, etc), I choose the memory card tool  and there's an option

copy (copy all images from internal memory).

when you click on it (all data on internal memory will be copy)

ok and cancel, you pick ok, wait a bit and it's done. those images are in your card.

then, you take the card out of the camera, and do the same thing.

Menu

this time you will choose the internal memory tool (same place, same thing, different icon)

there's only one option, format, you pick that, wait a bit and all images saved in the internal memory are gone.

Maybe your hx400 is the same, maybe a slightly different

lomoapontaechuta's gear list:lomoapontaechuta's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

I go to the Menu ( where you set sounds, settings, time, etc), I choose the memory card tool and there's an option

copy (copy all images from internal memory).

The HX400 doesn't have that because it can't store images in internal memory.

lomoapontaechuta Regular Member • Posts: 270

ok.

that's a shame because having such a feature can do all the difference.

lomoapontaechuta's gear list:lomoapontaechuta's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V
tbcass

sybersitizen wrote:

tbcass wrote:

I'll bet you won't find it on your A77II.

Yes it does. Why would you say otherwise?

There are lots of Sony cameras that don't have the 'Release w/o Card' on/off option. That's the option the OP wants but doesn't have, according to the HX400 documentation.

I just checked all my cameras and only the RX100 does not have the release w/o card on/off capability. It does flash a warning in orange that there is no card that's pretty hard to miss.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 1,674

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

ok.

that's a shame because having such a feature can do all the difference.

With my DSC-R1, the "darn, I forgot to put the memory stick" backup is a compact flash card never leaving the camera (I don't have a reader for it).  Getting stuff back out requires an USB cable for me (unfortunately, nothing akin to "COPY" for moving pictures in internal memory to the regular storage space) and it's slower than the memory stick but beats internal memory in terms of speed and capacity.

With other cameras, I have frequently needed to use the internal memory for the "card still in computer" situation that occurs annoyingly often (one would think that one learns after a few years of this, but no).

Sometimes I leave open the memory card door to remind me of the missing card (or because the card is going to be reinserted "real soon now") but that's a really bad idea because it can easily lead to breaking the door off when putting the camera in some bag with an open door.  I try not doing that any more.

Just my kind of anecdotal experience with that situation occuring all the time, enough that I am surprised that the HX400 should have no way for dealing with it more graciously than reported here.

Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200

tbcass wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

tbcass wrote:

I'll bet you won't find it on your A77II.

Yes it does. Why would you say otherwise?

There's no mention of the 'Release w/o Card' option in the A77II documentation - only the 'Release w/o Lens' option.

There are lots of Sony cameras that don't have the 'Release w/o Card' on/off option. That's the option the OP wants but doesn't have, according to the HX400 documentation.

I just checked all my cameras and only the RX100 does not have the release w/o card on/off capability.

I've got seven Sonys in the house, and only one has it.

It does flash a warning in orange that there is no card that's pretty hard to miss.

I agree. I've never missed it ... but there are people who miss it, like the OP of this thread did.

tbcass

sybersitizen wrote:

There's no mention of the 'Release w/o Card' option in the A77II documentation - only the 'Release w/o Lens' option.

I just went through the menu of my A77ii and you are right, there is no menu option. Release without card is disabled by default and there is no way to turn it on. Interesting. The option is available on my A99ii, RX10iii and RX10iv and I have it disabled on all 3. I just assumed my A77ii was the same.

I just checked all my cameras and only the RX100 does not have the release w/o card on/off capability.

I've got seven Sonys in the house, and only one has it.

It does flash a warning in orange that there is no card that's pretty hard to miss.

I agree. I've never missed it ... but there are people who miss it, like the OP of this thread did.

So in summary for the 5 Sony cameras I own, oldest to newest;

RX100 Purchased 8/2012, no Release without Card option, default on.

A77ii Purchased 5/2015, no release without card option default off.

RX10iii Purchased 6/2016, yes there is an option on or off.

A99ii Purchased 2/2017, yes there is an option on or off.

RX10iv Purchased 4/2018, yes there is an option on or off.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads