Z6 kit eBay listing $2,049 plus taxes.. too good to be true?

Started 1 month ago | Questions
BabySinclair New Member • Posts: 10
Z6 kit eBay listing $2,049 plus taxes.. too good to be true?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 7,877
Re: Z6 kit eBay listing $2,049 plus taxes.. too good to be true?

Couldn't find that listing but it's not even the cheapest gray-market listing available on eBay. There's one for $1951 as well. The catch for both is there is no warranty service from Nikon or worse, Nikon USA will not work on the camera or lens even if you paid them to do so.

madecov
madecov Veteran Member • Posts: 5,692

It says USA, but doesn't say USA warranty. They may just ship from the USA. My guess is that it is Grey and ships from the USA without a USA warranty.

Typically an authorized dealer on E bay will advertise that fact and that it is USA warranty prominently

-- hide signature --

Police Officer (Retired)
No plan survives first contact with the enemy.

madecov's gear list:madecov's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +19 more
OP BabySinclair New Member • Posts: 10

Horshack wrote:

Couldn't find that listing but it's not even the cheapest gray-market listing available on eBay. There's one for $1951 as well. The catch for both is there is no warranty service from Nikon or worse, Nikon USA will not work on the camera or lens even if you paid them to do so.

Yes, thats because I bought it. But im now a bit anxious about it. It  said in the description it has Nikon Warranty so first thing I'll do is register it check the serial. Is there anything else I should look for to check if it's gray market?

madecov wrote:

It says USA, but doesn't say USA warranty. They may just ship from the USA. My guess is that it is Grey and ships from the USA without a USA warranty.

Typically an authorized dealer on E bay will advertise that fact and that it is USA warranty prominently

Thank you. Yes, you're right it just says Nikon Warranty it doesn't specify USA.  Anyway, I did purchase it bc the price seem too good to me so I took the chance. The seller has excellent feedback so if I do discover its graymarket I'll just return it. What are other giveaways when it arrives that I can check to check if it's grey.

madecov

Every Nikon product comes with a Nikon warranty the issue is where that warranty is honored.

All products can be warrantied through Nikon Japan. Others can be warrantied in the country of intended sale.

Serial numbers can be registered successfully even on Grey products.

In the box there should be a Nikon USA warranty certificate with serial number

-- hide signature --

Police Officer (Retired)

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +19 more

BabySinclair wrote:

Horshack wrote:

Yes, thats because I bought it. But im now a bit anxious about it. It said in the description it has Nikon Warranty so first thing I'll do is register it check the serial. Is there anything else I should look for to check if it's gray market?

By definition it has to be gray market because Nikon USA dealers aren't allowed to advertised bodies below suggested retail due to Nikon's MAP rules for dealers.

madecov wrote:

Every Nikon product comes with a Nikon warranty the issue is where that warranty is honored.

All products can be warrantied through Nikon Japan. Others can be warrantied in the country of intended sale.

Serial numbers can be registered successfully even on Grey products.

In the box there should be a Nikon USA warranty certificate with serial number

Ohh got it! Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I messaged the seller to ask this specifically still waiting for a response but my gut tells me it is gray market. Hopefully the seller is honest and lets me cancel the order since it hasn't shipped yet. Thanks again!

RKM122 New Member • Posts: 3

Given you can buy the kit with FTZ adapter and an included Sony 64GB XQD card on Adorama for $2,397 including shipping and no additional taxes it doesn't sound like a huge saving.

RKM122's gear list:RKM122's gear list
Nikon Z6 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 IV Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +6 more
eques Veteran Member • Posts: 3,469
Be careful.

I just lost a lot of money, because a criminal had hacked an ebay account. (The offer was good, about 10% under what I would expect, but not obviously too cheap.)

Better go to a reliable shop when $.$$$ are at stake. Then you actually get the camera and have no probelms returning it, if there are issues.

Peter

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more

The seller responded to me that it's brand new sealed and USA warranty not gray market. Is there a way to check the warranty I receive is legit? I know I should've avoided all this buying from Adorama.. I appreciate all the advise here.

Re: Be careful.

eques wrote:

I just lost a lot of money, because a criminal had hacked an ebay account. (The offer was good, about 10% under what I would expect, but not obviously too cheap.)

Better go to a reliable shop when $.$$$ are at stake. Then you actually get the camera and have no probelms returning it, if there are issues.

Peter

Oh my God! I'm so sorry!! Ive never heard of that happening. Unfortunately I'm not able to cancel my order.. now I'm stressing over something I could've avoided. Thanks for the heads up! And I hope eBay steps up and refunds you for your money.

BabySinclair wrote:

The seller responded to me that it's brand new sealed and USA warranty not gray market. Is there a way to check the warranty I receive is legit? I know I should've avoided all this buying from Adorama.. I appreciate all the advise here.

Nikon USA warranty coverage requires a dated receipt in your name (since their warranties aren't transferable) directly from a Nikon USA authorized dealer. The only exception would be the claim of gift, in which case the receipt can be in someone else's name but you'll still need a copy of that authorized Nikon USA dealer receipt.

"No registration or 'warranty' card is included or needed with a Nikon D-SLR or Coolpix camera. Keep your original, dated proof of purchase from the Authorized Nikon Inc. dealer in case warranty service is ever needed. These products do include either a mail-in form or a paper with a web link to our registration page" (Source)

Re: Be careful.

eques wrote:

Peter

I don't quite understand what your situation is. Did someone hack your account and then use your account to buy or sell a high-value item? If so, how did you lose money - eBay usually is pretty prompt with refunds or indemnity in that situation.

peripheralfocus Veteran Member • Posts: 4,397
correct; Nikon USA, and from authorized dealer

Horshack wrote:

Nikon USA warranty coverage requires a dated receipt in your name (since their warranties aren't transferable) directly from a Nikon USA authorized dealer.

Yes, two conditions must be met for the U.S. warranty to be valid at the sale:

1. It must be a Nikon USA camera (in the past, that has meant a Nikon USA warranty card in the box, but I'm not 100% sure that's still true).

2. It must be sold by a dealer authorized by Nikon USA.

If #1 is not true, Nikon USA essentially will not touch the camera.

If #2 is not true, it may be possible to get Nikon USA to cover the camera anyway, if you're persistent and reasonable in your requests. Nikon USA is not technically obligated to cover it, but it's a much less serious problem in their eyes (they'll never admit that).

If anyone is wondering how #2 can happen, it's easy. Retailers can and sometimes do sell to each other or make swaps. So an authorized Nikon USA dealer could sell a Z6 to another camera store that is not authorized, or swap it for something they want but aren't authorized to buy. They're not supposed to, but Nikon USA can't enforce that rule very well, and has never tried, to my knowledge. Another occasional occurrence is that camera stores go out of business and their inventory goes on the auction block.

All that said, I'll be somewhat surprised if the OP doesn't get a gray market camera.

madecov

BabySinclair wrote:

If the seller is Adorama, your good to go. They are authorized Nikon dealers. It will be USA warrantied merchandise.

-- hide signature --

Police Officer (Retired)

madecov wrote:

BabySinclair wrote:

If the seller is Adorama, your good to go. They are authorized Nikon dealers. It will be USA warrantied merchandise.

I think you misread his post. He said he should've bought from Adorama.

Blanche Bovine Regular Member • Posts: 404

Horshack wrote:

madecov wrote:

BabySinclair wrote:

I think you misread his post. He said he should've bought from Adorama.

I thought he said he should've AVOIDED all this buying from Adorama.  But this doesn't make sense because I thought he purchased from eBay.

Blanche Bovine's gear list:Blanche Bovine's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +2 more
madecov

Adorama does sell on E bay and Amazon

-- hide signature --

Police Officer (Retired)

madecov wrote:

Adorama does sell on E bay and Amazon

Understood but that's neither here nor there. The OP still said he wish he would've bought from Adorama. You can see the name of the eBay seller in the OP's screen grabs and it's not Adorama.

Like all Nikon USA dealers, Adorama doesn't advertise or list Nikon gear below MAP.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads