Last Canon camera models with RAW files that can be opened by PhotoShop 6 Camera RAW?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
mailman88
mailman88 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,090
Re: Last Canon camera models with RAW files that can be opened by PhotoShop 6 Camera RAW?

Dale..buy Adobe Elements 2019. One time buy with one upgrade. It’s all you need. I use it.

mailman88's gear list:mailman88's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +4 more
Dale Garman Contributing Member • Posts: 957
Re: Last Canon camera models with RAW files that can be opened by PhotoShop 6 Camera RAW?

thanks for recommendation.  I have tried Elements several times and just find the interface very hard to get used to.  Probably user error.  I have gotten used to many other similar programs besides LR and PS, but for some reason I just find Elements awkward.

Dale Garman's gear list:Dale Garman's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +9 more

I also believe you cannot do non destructive editing in Elements, so that makes it a non starter for me.

Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +9 more
Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,064

Dale Garman wrote:

I also believe you cannot do non destructive editing in Elements, so that makes it a non starter for me.

No that's not correct. You can convert raw files in elements but it's version of ACR isn't as comprehensive  the one found Photoshop CC or Lightroom.

On the editing side elements  supports layers,layer masks etc  and has most of the tools that a photographer needs but unfortunately it doesn't support 16 bit editing.

Ken60 Senior Member • Posts: 1,032

Julia 5D3 and 5DSR are fine with PS6... never underestimate just how good the recent versions of Canon DPP are. The best way is to either develop in DPP and then transfer to PS for layers etc, or convert with Adobe DNG converter and open in PS if the files are too recent.   If you try the DPP route then after converting your file from RAW, just press CTRL+Shift+P ( or go to tools transfer to Photoshop ) and take your 16 bit tiff right into PS6 . THis way you avoid 8 bit banding processing further in PS.  In fact Canon's XPS driver for the Pro 1000 is so good I never transfer to 8 bit, other than to send to a client  as a finished file.

The 5DSR used with care and good lenses will give you more quality than you could want, that is unless you want over 800 iso, then try the 5D3. As a pair they work well because they are built on the same body and feel like twins.

-- hide signature --

Gear ... what I need to get the job done , after all you don't see mechanics listing their brand of spanner as a qualification .

philip Regular Member • Posts: 186

Or you could drop Adobe completely and jump to something like Affinity Photo for $50.

Thats a perpetual license for less than half the adobe yearly rental fee.

-- hide signature --

Philip G.

conversion is not the same thing as non destructive editing.  Yes you can convert to TIFF or jpeg etc. but don't think you can co truly non destructive editing like you can in LR.

Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,064

Dale Garman wrote:

conversion is not the same thing as non destructive editing. Yes you can convert to TIFF or jpeg etc. but don't think you can co truly non destructive editing like you can in LR.

You said that non destructive editing cannot be done in Elements which is not correct. On the conversion side ACR attaches an XMP file, non destructive. On the editing side Elements has layers which can be saved as PSD or Tiff which are also non destructive which was the point I was addressing.

Julia Schott
OP Julia Schott Forum Member • Posts: 89
Re: Julia do this!

mailman88 wrote:

Just buy Adobe Elements 2019. I use this software with my 6DmkII. Adobe Elements 2019 is currently using Camera Raw 11.1.

No monthly payment needed. Whenever I buy a newer camera, I just upgrade my Adobe Elements (if needed) to use with a newer Camera Raw. Checkout my pics on my threads to get a idea on how Adobe Elements 2019 processes the pics....I'm very happy.

But I do have plugins with my Adobe Elements 2019....Topaz Denoise, Noiseware Pro.

I will look into that. I have 32-bit plugins that I still use in PS6. See no reason to upgrade, as I can do everything I need to w/ current software setup.

Julia Schott

1Dx4me wrote:

Julia Schott wrote:

Daverich04 wrote:

CS6 will open RAW files directly from my 5D MK II but I can’t imagine using an old camera simply to keep using CS6. I use Adobe’s DNG converter with my 5D MK IV and Panasonic GX8 RAW files and ACR treats the DNG’s exactly as if they were the ordinal RAW files. Adobe updates DNG Converter at the same time they upgrade Lightroom and Photoshop CC. I’m planning on using CS6 with the latest and greatest cameras right up until Apple breaks it with an OS upgrade. And maybe past then.

Oh. I'll give it another try. I recall trying recently and there was something about DNG that was less than satisfying.

I will NEVER pay Adobe a monthly fee. No way. No how. Enough is enough. Subscriptions everywhere. I'm still using Win7, Office 2003/2010, etc. Won't get suckered into this subscription extortion business.

"The 100% price bump came as a surprise to many users and PetaPixel was able to confirm the change with Adobe. The $10/month price for the Photography package dates back to 2013 and was very popular."

$20 a month now. Right. What next? $50 a month? Bet on it.

but then again you have DPP canon's included software when you purchase your canon camera, including free upgrades i have been using this software since i purchased my 5D in 2006 and never looked back. i do my RAW poet processing on DPP and convert it to jpg and then process the jpg further on PS6. it works pretty decent this way.

as for subscription Gouge, i am with ya, i hated it from the beginning, i could see the writing on the wall!!! i think PS6 will be enough to take care of my post processing needs for the rest of my natural life

You and I think alike. Of course we may be proven wrong. Let's hope it's because we live long enough.

Julia Schott

Don Lacy wrote:

Use DPP4 to convert your Raw files and send them to PS6 as Tiff files if you really do not want to use CC. Or you could use one of the other programs out there beside PS I have a lot of friend using and liking On1.

I tried DPP4 and for some reason it would not open my version of PS - send images there. Must be a configuration glitch. Adobe has been good at messing up my registry entries.

Julia Schott

Graham Meale wrote:

My 5D III was fine, but with my 5D IV, I need to go the DNG route. A bit annoying, but not too bad. When I return from an overseas trip I leave the DNG converter chugging away while I read the paper, then it takes no more time than before.

I won't be going into Adobe's cloud. I also use InDesign, and last time I looked (before the recent price hikes) it would have cost me around $50 a month. Too much for a casual user. Stuff them.

I "put up with" Adobe for years, as many others did. I always considered their interfaces to be products of idiots. Anything but intuitive or even helpful.

Now I'll be damned if I'm going to pay them a monthly fee to continue to use those horrible interfaces.

Julia Schott

Ken60 wrote:

Julia 5D3 and 5DSR are fine with PS6... never underestimate just how good the recent versions of Canon DPP are. The best way is to either develop in DPP and then transfer to PS for layers etc, or convert with Adobe DNG converter and open in PS if the files are too recent. If you try the DPP route then after converting your file from RAW, just press CTRL+Shift+P ( or go to tools transfer to Photoshop ) and take your 16 bit tiff right into PS6 . THis way you avoid 8 bit banding processing further in PS. In fact Canon's XPS driver for the Pro 1000 is so good I never transfer to 8 bit, other than to send to a client as a finished file.

The 5DSR used with care and good lenses will give you more quality than you could want, that is unless you want over 800 iso, then try the 5D3. As a pair they work well because they are built on the same body and feel like twins.

Very good to know. A 5DSR may be in my future, perhaps when the new cameras are announced and the prices come down. I just got a 1D Mark IV on the used market. Arrives today.

Also have the 5D3 and love that camera. Do not intend to sell it, ever.

The Aussie Viking
The Aussie Viking Senior Member • Posts: 1,470

Julia Schott wrote:

Don Lacy wrote:

Use DPP4 to convert your Raw files and send them to PS6 as Tiff files if you really do not want to use CC. Or you could use one of the other programs out there beside PS I have a lot of friend using and liking On1.

I tried DPP4 and for some reason it would not open my version of PS - send images there. Must be a configuration glitch. Adobe has been good at messing up my registry entries.

There was a version or 2 that failed to do the link to Photoshop, but then it started working again. I suggest you try the latest version. If it asks for a serial number for verification I'd visit a Camera shop with a Biro and jot one down from a display DSLR. It's not like people will be using it on non-Canon printers!

-- hide signature --
 The Aussie Viking's gear list:The Aussie Viking's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +28 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads