It's July 2019. Too close to the next release cycle to buy a Canon camera?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
MisterBG Veteran Member • Posts: 6,697
Re: It's July 2019. Too close to the next release cycle to buy a Canon camera?

DotCom Editor wrote:

MisterBG wrote:

You should always wait for the next model to come out.

That way you'll never take any pictures and you'll never buy a camera, thereby saving much time and much money.

That's pure genius!

I always wait until after the first permanent price cut, usually about a year after the product debut. Not only do I save some money, I avoid all the problems associated with being an early adopter. But, your strategy is excellent.

Gee thanks!
Now if I could only find a way to practice what I preach...

MisterBG's gear list:MisterBG's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a6000 Olympus PEN-F Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +14 more
Tannin Senior Member • Posts: 1,182

Chances are that there will be a new 1DX fairly soon. It's harder to feel confident about the timing of a 5DSR replacement. This suggests that, of the two, a purchase of the 5DSR now would make more sense.

However, my take is the reverse: resolution aside, the 1DX II remains pretty much a perfect camera of its type, where the 5DSR could really use an update. So in your shoes, buying today, I'd be more likely to want a 1DX II.

All that said, what is your aim here? The 5DSR and the 1DX II are very, very different cameras, used for very different things. Neither is really an all-rounder and neither is remotely cheap. Perhaps you'd do better to look at a camera which has most of the advantages of both, and costs less than either. I'm talking about, of course, the superb 5D IV, which may or may not be replaced sometime soon, but certainly won't be improved on all that much as it's already very nearly perfect. Wonderful image quality, superb handling, there is very little they could do to make it better. And it won't break the bank.

PS: another poster mentioned the 6D II. No way that will be replaced soon, it's only just out.

Tannin's gear list:Tannin's gear list
Canon G9 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +11 more
Morvegil
Morvegil Contributing Member • Posts: 689

id wait

-- hide signature --

Only pros shoot with Canon.

Morvegil's gear list:Morvegil's gear list
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +1 more
gaul Contributing Member • Posts: 850

Julia Schott wrote:

threw the lens wrote:

If you don't have any professional work to earn money with these cameras and you already have something to shoot with, you don't need to buy them. It would be a luxury.

If you do need them to earn money with right now, you wouldn't be asking the question would you?

Basically, if you don't want or need new cameras, then don't buy them. That's the easiest advice in the world to give, too.

I'm not sure how this answers my question. My mother used to say, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Do mothers not teach that anymore?

Hello Julia,

If you take aside the tone of the message, it's quite right.

An amateur myself, I cannot see how these huge prices can last for long for what is seen by some as 'old tech'

As discussed before, if you purchase one of this body mid-2019, don't be surprised if their prices are heavily slashed in the next months or couple of years to the point where you won't recoup anything if you wee to sell them

MarshallG
MarshallG Veteran Member • Posts: 7,242

Julia Schott wrote:

threw the lens wrote:

If you don't have any professional work to earn money with these cameras and you already have something to shoot with, you don't need to buy them. It would be a luxury.

If you do need them to earn money with right now, you wouldn't be asking the question would you?

Basically, if you don't want or need new cameras, then don't buy them. That's the easiest advice in the world to give, too.

I'm not sure how this answers my question. My mother used to say, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

You’re my new favorite photographer!

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,892
It all depends upon what you want and need

The beginning of a cycle is a great time to buy if you need the latest and greatest and can pay the premium for being among the first.

The middle of a cycle is a great time to buy because the camera is out there, well known, and leveled off at it standard pricing.

The end of a cycle is a great time to buy when you don't necessarily need the latest tech, but the cost has plummetted. For example, Canon recently sold a refurb 80D combo with the 18-55 and 55-250 for just $690. A Refurb 1DXII was under $3K. Both are still "current" cameras, and those prices are half (or less) what they were upon first release.

Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
RickyJred2057 Junior Member • Posts: 44
Re: It all depends upon what you want and need

Do you think Canon will release Another 5 series Dlsr? I am sure A  1 Series Dlsr is on its way. MLS not ready for Sports birding yet.

RickyJred2057's gear list:RickyJred2057's gear list
Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 G2 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
BlueCosmo5050
BlueCosmo5050 Senior Member • Posts: 1,589

Depends... I think it'd be fine to get a 1DX Mark ii or a 5D Mark IV right now.

I wouldn't get the 5DSR though, simply because it has the dynamic range of the 5D Mark III basically and the DR in the 5D mark IV proved to be a big deal.

The higher you go up in Megapixels the less you can tell. You can see a big difference in 50 megapixels and 15 megapixels, it's huge. Even against 20 megapixels it's noticeable...against 30 megapixels it's just not much of a difference and you lose all the dynamic range of the 30 megapixel camera.

Resolution doesn't go by megapixel count. For example, 60 Megapixels is not double the resolution of a 30 megapixel camera. It's double the megapixels but not double the resolution. You can google how to calculate all of that.

BlueCosmo5050's gear list:BlueCosmo5050's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +1 more
1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 7,235
Re: It all depends upon what you want and need

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

The beginning of a cycle is a great time to buy if you need the latest and greatest and can pay the premium for being among the first.

The middle of a cycle is a great time to buy because the camera is out there, well known, and leveled off at it standard pricing.

The end of a cycle is a great time to buy when you don't necessarily need the latest tech, but the cost has plummetted. For example, Canon recently sold a refurb 80D combo with the 18-55 and 55-250 for just $690. A Refurb 1DXII was under $3K. Both are still "current" cameras, and those prices are half (or less) what they were upon first release.

+1

very well put

-- hide signature --

You miss 100 percent of the shots you didn't take!!! "Wayne Gretzky"

maiaibing Veteran Member • Posts: 4,942
Wait: Canon has said their next high MPIX camera is coming 2019

No need to rush. Canon has clearly said a 5DS/R replacement is coming out this year. Time will tell if its worth getting. Meanwhile the 5DS/R remains a superb camera - also after Christmas. May even drop in price due to the new arrival.

maiaibing's gear list:maiaibing's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III +5 more
KariP
KariP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,165
Re: It's July 2019. Are the next new models really better...

Julia Schott wrote:

Have my eye on both the 5DSR and the 1DX II.

Both, though, have been out, what, a few years?

What's the likely release cycle on these things? I'd hate to purchase one and see a successor released next month or two.

Anyone in a similar boat? What are your thoughts?

I'm not really an engineer and I cannot make real prophecies ...

Cameras get new "gadgets" - especially in the video department. If you are a photographer and have no interest in video the new cameras are not getting better really fast.

If you want a camera with EVF there are new models coming. IF OVF works better for you the existing  cameras are already quite good .

I bought a 5DMkIV some months ago knowing, that it is more than 3 years old model - but I knew what it IS. Very good camera for my needs !

We do not know how much better the new models will be. 6D was a nice camera - MkII did not give better image quality, but better video and other useful stuff. 6DMkII never became very popular.... I had a 6D and never bought the Mk II. Now it is cheap...

And there are still many features I cannot even use in my new 5DMkIV... a lot to learn still.

-- hide signature --

Kari
I started SLR photography in 1968, first DSLR was Canon 40D in 2007. Now Fujifilm X-E3 is my favourite traveling camera - also NEW! 5DMkIV for landscapes, BIF/nature .

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-E3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +14 more
Marek M Contributing Member • Posts: 994
Re: It's July 2019. Are the next new models really better...

KariP wrote:

Julia Schott wrote:

What's the likely release cycle on these things? I'd hate to purchase one and see a successor released next month or two.

I'm not really an engineer and I cannot make real prophecies ...

Cameras get new "gadgets" - especially in the video department. If you are a photographer and have no interest in video the new cameras are not getting better really fast.

If you want a camera with EVF there are new models coming. IF OVF works better for you the existing cameras are already quite good .

I bought a 5DMkIV some months ago knowing, that it is more than 3 years old model - but I knew what it IS. Very good camera for my needs !

We do not know how much better the new models will be. 6D was a nice camera - MkII did not give better image quality, but better video and other useful stuff. 6DMkII never became very popular....

Well, 6D was the first really affordable full frame and sales took off like crazy. 6D mkll  was launched when relatively inexpensive  full frame was common. Consequently, there was no rush. I have both.

I had a 6D and never bought the Mk II. Now it is cheap...

And there are still many features I cannot even use in my new 5DMkIV... a lot to learn still.

-- hide signature --

Kari
I started SLR photography in 1968, first DSLR was Canon 40D in 2007. Now Fujifilm X-E3 is my favourite traveling camera - also NEW! 5DMkIV for landscapes, BIF/nature .

gaul Contributing Member • Posts: 850
Best time ever to buy Canon.. 2nd hand

Myself, bought in 2018 a Canon dSLR embarking 2012 tech but still full-frame, with the obvious of a competitive price..

My only regret: Buying new rather than 2nd hand for even less (with the difference going on lenses)

PhotoKhan Forum Pro • Posts: 11,007

Julia Schott wrote:

threw the lens wrote:

Yes, they do.

Mine, for instance, once said: "Don't ask for information that's only privy to a manufacturer"

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.humbertoborgesfotografia.com/
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 4,580
5DS(R) is cheap right now ...

Julia Schott wrote:

5DS(R) is cheap right now. The 5DS and 5DSR can both be found at great prices on ebay right now if you're OK with a grey market import. I got a 5DS for $1240. I think the R is about $300 more. This may be a short time deal. I'm guessing Canon is trying to get rid of the stock of these ahead of the rumored high MP RF camera.

I doubt the 1Dx will move much in price anytime soon, but that is just my guess. Rumors are of a new model for next years Olympics but that is a ways off.

I'm thinking the 5DS is on the way out with the new high MP RF camera. There is really no demand for DSLRs in the $3k+ range. 1Dx might be an exception, but even there mirrorless cameras are catching up and in some aspects passing it.

I'd recommend getting a 5DSR cheap while you can as they are not likely to be around much longer.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

Re: 5DS(R) is cheap right now ...

jwilliams wrote:

Julia Schott wrote:

5DS(R) is cheap right now. The 5DS and 5DSR can both be found at great prices on ebay right now if you're OK with a grey market import. I got a 5DS for $1240. I think the R is about $300 more.

1,240$ for a 5DS with Canon's best image files must be the best value offer in the camera industry right now on a pure picture iq/$ ratio (I'd still wait however, these offers will still be around for Christmas).

Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III +5 more
jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 4,580
Don't wait ...

maiaibing wrote:

jwilliams wrote:

Julia Schott wrote:

5DS(R) is cheap right now. The 5DS and 5DSR can both be found at great prices on ebay right now if you're OK with a grey market import. I got a 5DS for $1240. I think the R is about $300 more.

1,240$ for a 5DS with Canon's best image files must be the best value offer in the camera industry right now on a pure picture iq/$ ratio (I'd still wait however, these offers will still be around for Christmas).

Don't wait. I think the last 5DS(R) has already been made and their selling out stock. The new high MP mirrorless will be out soon and that will probably be the only high MP body going forward. This will help sell the new big $$$ RF lenses. If you want a 5DS(R) on the cheap, better buy it now.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

Re: Don't wait ...

jwilliams wrote:

Don't wait. I think the last 5DS(R) has already been made and their selling out stock. The new high MP mirrorless will be out soon and that will probably be the only high MP body going forward. This will help sell the new big $$$ RF lenses. If you want a 5DS(R) on the cheap, better buy it now.

Very unlikely a problem.

It would be a first - ever - for Canon, if an old model was not available long after a new model took over.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads