Upgrade to FF?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Jura S Senior Member • Posts: 1,975
Re: Upgrade to FF?

Garyster wrote:

Leigh A. Wax wrote:

I don't consider FF an "Upgrade"

Um... all things being equal, yes it is. That is why it costs more, gathers more light, more pleasing bokeh / DOF control, etc., etc......

...yes, yes. But ...

There are quite a few scenarios where FF doesn't offer any advantage or is even a detriment. I am talking both of technical and functional aspects.

OP FooHead Regular Member • Posts: 390

Jura S wrote:

FooHead wrote:

So for fun I rented a 6D for a weekend. I REALLY loved the images I could get with it, much more than what I get from my 80D. So I've been thinking about selling the 80D to help fund some kind of FF. This is what I've found. I'm in western Canada.

There are some important aspects that you didn't mention. What lenses do you use with 80D and what shooting scenarios are most common for you.

FF might not be always the preferred option.

18-135 stm, 50mm 1.8, 35mm f2, 100mm f2.8

Shooting landscapes, city scapes day and night time, architecture, portraits and outdoor indoor candids if kid and mom playing.

80D's a good Jack of all trades but when the light gets low The was a big difference in IQ vs the 6d.

FooHead's gear list:FooHead's gear list
Canon EOS 1100D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM +2 more
shuutrr Regular Member • Posts: 349

FooHead wrote:

Jura S wrote:

FooHead wrote:

So for fun I rented a 6D for a weekend. I REALLY loved the images I could get with it, much more than what I get from my 80D. So I've been thinking about selling the 80D to help fund some kind of FF. This is what I've found. I'm in western Canada.

There are some important aspects that you didn't mention. What lenses do you use with 80D and what shooting scenarios are most common for you.

Shooting landscapes, city scapes day and night time, architecture, portraits and outdoor indoor candids if kid and mom playing.

80D's a good Jack of all trades but when the light gets low The was a big difference in IQ vs the 6d.

I have a 70D and both 6Ds and I think you are exactly correct.

Outdoors and under good lighting the 6Ds IQ IMO is not remarkably better, but, when conditions darken they definitely are.

So, if you are out all day and night, you can crank up the iso on the 6Ds, keep shooting, and probably be happier with your results.

Is that worth the extra dollars you have to shell out for body and L lenses, it was for me because having more gear is "fun", as is actually shooting the gear and occasionally landing, IYO at least, a great photo.

If you can afford it, spend it, it's fun....

shuutrr

shuutrr's gear list:shuutrr's gear list
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Samsung NX20 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon 6D Mark II +9 more
Il Mostro Forum Member • Posts: 92

FooHead wrote:

Jura S wrote:

FooHead wrote:

I reached a similar conclusion as you. I dipped my toe in the FF water with a 5D (low shutter count, mirror replaced under warranty and freshly serviced by Canon) at a great price., With adequate light it does have a unique (and special) quality in my opinion.

I started adding lenses modestly with a Canon 24-105mm f/4 IS, (started with the 50mm f/1.8 STM & 40mm f/2.8 which i already had) then added an 85mm f/1.8 and 35mm f/2 IS. All very reasonable priced on the used market. For the average hobbyist, all three punch above their price points.

I then stalked the 6D market for a few months and found an absolutely mint body on eBay for $620.00 all-in. Checked the shutter count when it arrived and it came in at 4213, so loads of life left (in theory at least). I just added the Tamron SP 45mm Di VC USD on sale for even better low light potential with the 6D.

I will keep and use my 80D (with a fully fleshed out array of ASP-C lenses). For me it's not an either/or situation -- just different tools with different capabilities. For doing things on the cheap, I am a pretty happy camper.

Il Mostro's gear list:Il Mostro's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS 80D Fujifilm X-T2 +24 more
OP FooHead Regular Member • Posts: 390

CameraCarl wrote:

And then, of course, you've got mirrorless to consider, especially if you plan to replace both bodies and lenses. For photographers who are not committed to a particular system and have the flexibility to completely replace their camera and lenses, this is an exciting time to watch all the new announcements.

+1 !

The R an RP mkii's should have lots design and.feature improvement tweaks.

FooHead's gear list:FooHead's gear list
Canon EOS 1100D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM +2 more
ravi pratap Regular Member • Posts: 284

Since I m not a big fan of night photos I am getting a 80d after my nice 700d which is aging.  Not at hugely discounted price it superb camera far ahead or equal to pricier Mirrorless. Lucky you.

richardperson
richardperson Regular Member • Posts: 295

FooHead wrote:

CameraCarl wrote:

And then, of course, you've got mirrorless to consider, especially if you plan to replace both bodies and lenses. For photographers who are not committed to a particular system and have the flexibility to completely replace their camera and lenses, this is an exciting time to watch all the new announcements.

+1 !

The R an RP mkii's should have lots design and.feature improvement tweaks.

+2.  For what you are shooting, my 1DXii and 7Dii stay in the bag and the R comes out.

richardperson's gear list:richardperson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads