Upgrade to FF?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
FooHead Regular Member • Posts: 396
Upgrade to FF?

So for fun I rented a 6D for a weekend.  I REALLY loved the images I could get with it, much more than what I get from my 80D.  So I've been thinking about selling the 80D to help fund some kind of FF.  This is what I've found.  I'm in western Canada.

New 6D + 24-105 is about $1600

Used 6D + lens...people try to sell them for what I can get a new one!

New 6dmkII + 24-105 about is $ 2800, body only $1600

Used 5Dmkiii + 24-105 is about $2500, body only about $1500

Used 5Dmkiv body $3000

Only thing I didn't like about the 6D was the focusing system and lack of focus points.  The 80D is much much better here.  As much as I loved the 6D I'm not sure I could take a step backwards and learn to like the 6D's focusing.

I don't think the 6dmkii is enough of an upgrade to spend $3k.  I've never tried a 5Dmkiii, but apparently 6D has better iq and focuses better in poor light.....and I don't want to spend that kind of $ on a 12 year old body.

So in the end I don't think I'll go FF just yet.  Maybe play the wait and see what happens game and spend my $$ on some kinda of fast zoom?

I just don't see a FF in my near future...dang!

FooHead's gear list:FooHead's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 1100D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +2 more
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 7,431
Re: Upgrade to FF?

i have no doubt that the 80D can take a photo just as good as a FF camera, keeping in mind the cropping factor! i would spend the money on a nice lens instead. i am pretty sure when you eventually get your FF camera, you'll find out it is not gonna be a big deal after a few days you use it

-- hide signature --

You miss 100 percent of the shots you didn't take!!! "Wayne Gretzky"

J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 15,042

You did not say which lens you are using on your 80D.

Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 2,730

FooHead wrote:

So for fun I rented a 6D for a weekend. I REALLY loved the images I could get with it, much more than what I get from my 80D. So I've been thinking about selling the 80D to help fund some kind of FF. This is what I've found. I'm in western Canada.

Used 5Dmkiv body $3000

Only thing I didn't like about the 6D was the focusing system and lack of focus points. The 80D is much much better here. As much as I loved the 6D I'm not sure I could take a step backwards and learn to like the 6D's focusing.

I don't think the 6dmkii is enough of an upgrade to spend $3k. I've never tried a 5Dmkiii, but apparently 6D has better iq and focuses better in poor light.....and I don't want to spend that kind of $ on a 12 year old body.

So in the end I don't think I'll go FF just yet. Maybe play the wait and see what happens game and spend my $$ on some kinda of fast zoom?

Perhaps consider spreading the pain, and buy a 24-105L ii now, and use it with your 80D, and then buy a 6D ii (which is essentially a FF 80D) or 5D iv (or even R/RF) later on.

I used a 24-105L on a 600D, and then 70D for several years before I eventually bought a FF 6D ii.

Maybe sell whatever your 80D equivalent to the 24-105L is to partially fund the new lens, and then sell the 80D to partially fund the body when you get it - then you are taking two smaller hits instead of one large one.

While I very much like my 6D ii + 24-105L ii, I am not sure that I would it takes much better images than my 70D did (unless it is mainly for high ISO, very wide angle or shallow DoF shots) - it is a nice upgrade though.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +3 more
nail33 Contributing Member • Posts: 758

Whatever Canon camera you decide to upgrade to, consider buying it refurbished. They're just like new with the same guarantee, and will probably save you a few hundred dollars. You also might want to consider the Canon RP..........currently around $1300 new, and often including an adapter for your current lens for free. The RP has roughly the same sensor as the 6DII.

Leigh A. Wax Senior Member • Posts: 1,129

I don't consider FF an "Upgrade"

I have a 7D2, & a 6D, & they both serve a particular purpose; the 7D2 for BIF, & wildlife, for the "reach".

The 6D for Landscape's, typically used with Manual Focus, in Live-view.

J A C S

Leigh A. Wax wrote:

In the OP case, it will be.

I have a 7D2, & a 6D, & they both serve a particular purpose; the 7D2 for BIF, & wildlife, for the "reach".

Leigh A. Wax wrote:

+1

very well put! however, when people only have a aps-c camera, they have this mythical dreams that FF camera MUST be better than their aps-c camera in performance and i don't blame them in most cases if they haven't had a FF camera. but when they have both, they realize the myth to be just that, a myth the only difference is the crop factor!

-- hide signature --

J A C S

1Dx4me wrote:

very well put! however, when people only have a aps-c camera, they have this mythical dreams that FF camera MUST be better than their aps-c camera in performance and i don't blame them in most cases if they haven't had a FF camera. but when they have both, they realize the myth to be just that, a myth the only difference is the crop factor!

Cars with smaller engines are not any different, they just have smaller engines!

OP FooHead Regular Member • Posts: 396

1Dx4me wrote:

Leigh A. Wax wrote:

+1

I don't do wildlife or anything so the crop factor isn't a real bonus for me. I did however really enjoyed how my primes felt wider. I also liked the high ISO capeabilities of the 6D and messing with depth of field was fun too.

Looking back at the images, I can't tell the ff apart from my apsc ones I took that same day to test.

I'd still like to go ff...one day...

FooHead's gear list:FooHead's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 1100D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +2 more
CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 6,657

And then, of course, you've got mirrorless to consider, especially if you plan to replace both bodies and lenses.  For photographers who are not committed to a particular system and have the flexibility to completely replace their camera and lenses, this is an exciting time to watch all the new announcements.

CameraCarl wrote:

And then, of course, you've got mirrorless to consider, especially if you plan to replace both bodies and lenses. For photographers who are not committed to a particular system and have the flexibility to completely replace their camera and lenses, this is an exciting time to watch all the new announcements.

i am glad we have more choices now but both systems have their weak/strong points! mirror-less doesn't excite me as it is right now, hopefully it makes lots of compelling progress in the future, just like DSLRs made in the past!

-- hide signature --

J A C S wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

Cars with smaller engines are not any different, they just have smaller engines!

hm, seems like you have keen eyes for obvious,  and your point being?

-- hide signature --

pcrc11 Regular Member • Posts: 311

1Dx4me wrote:

Leigh A. Wax wrote:

+1

So you are saying FF has no better light capturing ability? Also aren't the lenses you can get for FF better? I have an 80d now I am on the fence about getting a 6Dmk2. Have watched a ton a youtube videos comparing both and am not expecting a world of difference but can see where the jump to FF would give me some improvements with landscape, astro and also allow me to get all the benefits of the lenses I already have that are ef and ef-s compatible

pcrc11's gear list:pcrc11's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 90D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 +2 more
J A C S

1Dx4me wrote:

J A C S wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

hm, seems like you have keen eyes for obvious, and your point being?

Well, my point was that there are more obvious things in this thread.

pcrc11 wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

Leigh A. Wax wrote:

+1

So you are saying FF has no better light capturing ability? Also aren't the lenses you can get for FF better? I have an 80d now I am on the fence about getting a 6Dmk2. Have watched a ton a youtube videos comparing both and am not expecting a world of difference but can see where the jump to FF would give me some improvements with landscape, astro and also allow me to get all the benefits of the lenses I already have that are ef and ef-s compatible

i am not attempting to put down FF cameras, they are great to have, yes, theoretically FF sensor may collect more light but to me, using a aps-c or FF cameras have not handicapped me photographing anything i wanted, nothing that i could tell the difference! you may go to FF camera by all means but that is not an upgrade, IMO, just a different format.

i wouldn't putting stock into utube or opinions too much as much as your own experience. you can always rent a FF camera for a week and try it side by side with your 80D and see if you see compelling difference between the 2.

i have never owned an ef-s lens, my lenses are all "L" and have used them with my aps-c, aps-H and ff cameras and enjoyed the result. to sum it up, my point was not to buy into the hype, i haven't reached any definitive conclusion that any one of those 3 format is better than the other ones when it come to IQ.

-- hide signature --

J A C S wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

J A C S wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

hm, seems like you have keen eyes for obvious, and your point being?

Well, my point was that there are more obvious things in this thread.

ok, that is good enough for me

-- hide signature --

zman2596 Forum Member • Posts: 98

FooHead wrote:

So for fun I rented a 6D for a weekend. I REALLY loved the images I could get with it, much more than what I get from my 80D. So I've been thinking about selling the 80D to help fund some kind of FF. This is what I've found. I'm in western Canada.

Used 5Dmkiv body $3000

Only thing I didn't like about the 6D was the focusing system and lack of focus points. The 80D is much much better here. As much as I loved the 6D I'm not sure I could take a step backwards and learn to like the 6D's focusing.

I don't think the 6dmkii is enough of an upgrade to spend $3k. I've never tried a 5Dmkiii, but apparently 6D has better iq and focuses better in poor light.....and I don't want to spend that kind of $ on a 12 year old body.

So in the end I don't think I'll go FF just yet. Maybe play the wait and see what happens game and spend my $$ on some kinda of fast zoom?

The 6D is a great camera and I have one.  The focus system is lacking a bit, but using focuse and recompose with centerpoint isn't bad.  Honestly though, Full frame is a nice upgrade for low light photography.  If you're outdoors in great light, crop should be more than fine.  I don't notice a huge difference when I'm using my 6D outdoors versus "playing around" with my SL1 casually and/or with family, vacations, etc.

I recently got a 5D mark III because I shoot weddings and I need two card slots.  Honestly, the IQ is on par with the 6D for the most part.  The 5D mark III doesn't have banding in shadows that are pushed too much, so that's annoying.  The focus system is better in that it has many more points, more cross type points and the thumb joystick for selecting them.  The big downer is low light focusing.  It's only -2EV whereas the 6D has -3EV for the centerpoint.  I do notice this during receptions when they turn down lights for dancing.  However, I used my grid system during dancing and nobody really noticed because of all the DJ lights going anyways.

I'm really happy with my 5d Mark III though because its a true pro camera.  I got a great deal on it in near perfect condition for $1200 US.  It was a way better deal for my humble business compared to spending $2600+ or so for a nice condition 5d Mark IV.  Back to your delimma, If you shoot outdoors, stick to crop.  If you need two slots for professional use, 5D mark III or IV is the way to go.  Otherwise, I'd consider the 6D mark II. At least in the US, the 6d Mark I is a huge price savings used and is totally worth it.  If it's not that way in Canada, I'd definitely consider the 6D mark II.

zman2596's gear list:zman2596's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 Di II VC +7 more
Jura S Senior Member • Posts: 1,975

FooHead wrote:

There are some important aspects that you didn't mention. What lenses do you use with 80D and what shooting scenarios are most common for you.

FF might not be always the preferred option.

Garyster Forum Member • Posts: 56

Leigh A. Wax wrote:

Um... all things being equal, yes it is.  That is why it costs more, gathers more light, more pleasing bokeh / DOF control, etc., etc......

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads