what causes the poor quality

Started 2 months ago | Questions
acktown
acktown Contributing Member • Posts: 505
Re: what causes the poor quality

I haven't had much luck adapting any lenses to the Fuji X system. I get similar results to this no matter what the lens or adapter. I just recently switched to the Sony mirrorless system, bought an adapter for a lens that performs just "okay" on the Fuji X-T2, put it on my new Sony a7ii and BOOM, sharpest lens I have in my bag. A Soligor 200mm f/3.5 MD mount.

acktown's gear list:acktown's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Apple iPhone 8 Plus +1 more
Sjak
Sjak Senior Member • Posts: 4,576

acktown wrote:

I haven't had much luck adapting any lenses to the Fuji X system. I get similar results to this no matter what the lens or adapter. I just recently switched to the Sony mirrorless system, bought an adapter for a lens that performs just "okay" on the Fuji X-T2, put it on my new Sony a7ii and BOOM, sharpest lens I have in my bag. A Soligor 200mm f/3.5 MD mount.

Myself, I've had no issues with most lenses on my X-T1, although I never used any Canon-lenses.

More in general: EOS-lenses usually seem to work just fine on Fuji with the correct adapter. There's plenty of happy users of the Fringer-adapter on the Fuji-board, including a fashion-pro.

In this specific case, there's still plenty of potential issues, that have not been ruled out.

Sjak's gear list:Sjak's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sigma DP2 Ricoh Caplio GX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Fujifilm X-T1 +3 more
OP ocean76 Regular Member • Posts: 453

moedius wrote:

ocean76 wrote:

fferreres wrote:

ocean76 wrote:

fferreres wrote:

Sjak wrote:

fferreres wrote:

It looks really muddy. Is this adapter having glass in between or is it just hollow? I can't fanthom what could cause such a muddy 100% crop. it's not normal. What part of the picture was cropped, center, mid or corner?

That's why I also asked whether a tripod was used: look at the shutter speeds.

yes, something is wrong. Either some horrible glass is in between, or some problem with stabilization on the lens, or bad calibration of AF. But I see no shake direction. I really looks as if a mist of oil of a bad TC is in between. I also think the TC idea will not work out very well. There are some very cheap manual 300mm from Canon, maybe that's a better idea.

using tc might not be a good idea as you said but even without the tlc it looks soft and muddy.
And another thing is: although it's been a long time since I have last used this very same canon 70-2000mm lens on my canon eos 6d, I don't remember having any lack of sharpness problems like this at all..

so all of the things you have mentioned make me think that my fotasy adapter is faulty, am I wrong?

I have to make another final test: fujixt2+fotasy adapter+ my another canon lens; if that shot is muddy also,then I'l be 100% sure that the problem is with the fotasy adapter..

and probably buy another adapter, can you recommend me one if you know?

Try a dumb $15 adapter, all manual. If it is sharp, then you know it’s something else. Otherwise, you have less things to troubleshoot. My opinion is it is the extender.

I dont think the problem is bec of the extender because when I remove the extender the result is again horrible: soft and muddy (see my example photo #2)

I'm sure it's not the extender, but I would just remove that from the equation all together until you work out the underlying issue. It just magnifies the problem and complicates the troubleshooting.

yes you are right.

I might have missed it if you'd already posted in the thread, but is there a filter on the lens, and are they shot in raw or jpg?

no filters on the lens. They were all shot in raw and the examples are jpegs out of camera.

I don't see how it could be the glassless adapter, unless you were testing by focusing to infinity in your test shots and the adapter prevented reaching it, thereby misfocusing everything.

yes the adapter has no glass.I was manually focusing at the most far distance and while I was lookin through the viewfinder, I adjsuted the focusing ring on the lens until I was sure that the focus point was sharp. Then with the remote I took the shot but the result is so bad quality.

It looks most like haze or a bad filter to me, but you probably need to do more controlled testing to narrow it down.

there was no haze in the air , the weather was so nice and even more I did some other tests also  for a couple of days on different times and the result is always the same-poor quality if the adapter is on.

But what I cant understand is how can a glassless adapter can be the problem?

-- hide signature --

"Banal ideas cannot be rescued by beautiful execution" - Sol Lewitt

Stacey_K
Stacey_K Veteran Member • Posts: 8,944

ocean76 wrote:

the aperture is f8 (I lose 2 stops) I believe if the sigma extender is on, if not, then the aperture is f4 I think.

So you are using a f4 zoom wide open at the end of the zoom range with a 3rd party 2X converter pixel peeping on a crop sensor body... Try at the very least stopping the lens itself down to f8.

-- hide signature --

Stacey
"Maybe it's time for people to start thinking about upgrading the photographer rather than new gear every year."

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony a7 Nikon D4 +19 more
moedius
moedius Regular Member • Posts: 430

ocean76 wrote:

moedius wrote:

ocean76 wrote:

I'm sure it's not the extender, but I would just remove that from the equation all together until you work out the underlying issue. It just magnifies the problem and complicates the troubleshooting.

yes you are right.

I might have missed it if you'd already posted in the thread, but is there a filter on the lens, and are they shot in raw or jpg?

no filters on the lens. They were all shot in raw and the examples are jpegs out of camera.

I don't see how it could be the glassless adapter, unless you were testing by focusing to infinity in your test shots and the adapter prevented reaching it, thereby misfocusing everything.

yes the adapter has no glass.I was manually focusing at the most far distance and while I was lookin through the viewfinder, I adjsuted the focusing ring on the lens until I was sure that the focus point was sharp. Then with the remote I took the shot but the result is so bad quality.

It looks most like haze or a bad filter to me, but you probably need to do more controlled testing to narrow it down.

there was no haze in the air , the weather was so nice and even more I did some other tests also for a couple of days on different times and the result is always the same-poor quality if the adapter is on.

Yeah, I was referring more to haze in the lens itself, like condensation or something.

But what I cant understand is how can a glassless adapter can be the problem?

I don't think it is the adapter. Like someone else mentioned, there could be reflections if the adapter isn't well flocked\blackened, but I don't think that's the culprit unless the inside of the adapter is white, or chrome, or something crazy.

I would bet money that you'll still have the same issue with another similar 'dumb' adapter.  I think Stacey_K's comment pretty much hit it on the head.  You really need a smart adapter that allows communication with the body so you're not using putting the lens in its worst configuration.

-- hide signature --

"Banal ideas cannot be rescued by beautiful execution" - Sol Lewitt

moedius's gear list:moedius's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7 II Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +25 more
Letsgokoulos
Letsgokoulos Senior Member • Posts: 2,320

Stacey_K wrote:

ocean76 wrote:

the aperture is f8 (I lose 2 stops) I believe if the sigma extender is on, if not, then the aperture is f4 I think.

So you are using a f4 zoom wide open at the end of the zoom range with a 3rd party 2X converter pixel peeping on a crop sensor body... Try at the very least stopping the lens itself down to f8.

I think you are right. Most zoom lenses are pretty soft wide open, and the 2x converter and the adapter only add to the softness.

Marc

Belgarchi Senior Member • Posts: 1,696

ocean76 wrote:

Hi,

I hope this is the right forum for my problem.

I want to use my Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM with my fujifilm XT2 so I bought a fotasy adaptor. But I ve got poor results although this lens works great on my canon eos 6d.

is this lack of sharpness that I have (when the fotasy is on) because of the brand or do all the adaptors in the market happen to cause these kind of unsharp results..

I also have a sigma 2x extender and I cant take a sharp photo with the combination of

fujixt2+fotasy adaptor+sigma 2x extender+canon 70-200 f4...

below is a comparison of 3 different cases:

you can easily see that the first 2 photos are very soft while the 3rd one is sharp because the 3rd one is shot with the native fujinon 55-200mm lens..

setup: fujixt2+fotasy adaptor+sigma 2x extender+canon 70-200mm f4 @200mm, (%100 cropped view)

this is fujixt2+fotasy adaptor+ canon 70-200mm f4 @200mm, (%100 cropped view)

the reason I want to use my canon 70-200mm although I have the native 55-200mm is because I want to reach a higher zoom and the only way to do that is by using my sigma 2x extender (for canon mount) and I have to use that with the fotasy adaptor of course.With that setup I can reach to 600mm (in 35mm format) while with just the native fujinon 55-200mm I can only reach to 300mm (in 35mm format) so the difference is huge..But the quality is not good at all and I dont know what causes this problem, is it related with the fotasy or do all the simple adaptors are the same?

With an adapter, no image stabilization. You must work at higher shutter speed.

The Fuji zoom has an integrated image stabilization system.

Belgarchi's gear list:Belgarchi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Leica D-Lux 7 Pentax KP Fujifilm X-T20 Olympus PEN-F +78 more
Sjak
Sjak Senior Member • Posts: 4,576

Belgarchi wrote:

With an adapter, no image stabilization. You must work at higher shutter speed.

Worse, an adapter without aperture control, so shots wide open.

The Fuji zoom has an integrated image stabilization system.

With an electronic adapter, the OIS of the Canon lens (if it has) will also work. However, these shots were made on a tripod so ideally, IS should be disabled.

Sjak's gear list:Sjak's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sigma DP2 Ricoh Caplio GX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Fujifilm X-T1 +3 more
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 38,244

Stacey_K wrote:

ocean76 wrote:

Good stuff Stacey, this is a setup made to fail, and we might wonder why the images are not perfect ....

If all other advice fails then there is nothing left to check but the actual optico-mechanical components used.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

chaimav Contributing Member • Posts: 963

acktown wrote:

I haven't had much luck adapting any lenses to the Fuji X system.

I have had no issue with my X-T20

Hexanon 52mm f1.8

Helios 44-2

Helios 44-2

chaimav's gear list:chaimav's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
acktown

The last one looks okay, but the others look soft, hazy, cloudy. Those were typical results for me with pretty much any adapted lens on the Fuji system. The same lenses that produced those results on the Fuji system are now unbelievably tack sharp on a Sony a7ii. They shouldn't be, but they are. A Tokina made Soligor 200mm f/3.5 and a Minolta 55mm f/1.7 are razor sharp on the a7ii but not the Fuji X-T2. I've also tried various brands of adapters and they all don't have any glass elements within them either to cause issues. I find it bizarre and it makes no sense to me, but it's just my observations.

acktown wrote:

The last one looks okay, but the others look soft, hazy, cloudy.

If anything, I would have classified it the other way around. But that is because the Helios is a soft lens. The Hexanon is very sharp.

Here is a crop of  SOOC I just took yesterday. Sorry, for privacy reasons I don't want to share the original.

acktown

Looks good there!

fferreres Senior Member • Posts: 1,846

chaimav wrote:

acktown wrote:

If anything, I would have classified it the other way around. But that is because the Helios is a soft lens. The Hexanon is very sharp.

Here is a crop of SOOC I just took yesterday. Sorry, for privacy reasons I don't want to share the original.

Which Helios? M7 is so uber sharp it cuts your eyelashes just zoom on pics.

SiFu
SiFu Veteran Member • Posts: 5,918
looks out of focus to me

Hello!

The first two look out of focus to me, which could be due to various reasons:

1/ you are having a hard time manually focussing your camera - how do you focus? zoom into the scene, rely on blinkies, a combination etc?

Please post the full frames and maybe the RAWs for the first two; might help assess the situation more precisely;

2/ a problem with your connection of camera/adapter/lens causing the resulting assembly not being completely level but rather giving a tilt-effect; judging by the image defects in the first image especially (and my own experience with this effect done on purpose) my bet would be on this playing a role;

3/ your lens being knocked out of alignement - this can happen astoundingly easily; can you post a full frame of the Canon lens on a Canon body for reference purposes?

On a personal note, I have been adapting all kinds of lenses to all kinds of cameras and have never had any issue whatsoever with any of my Fuji bodies (on focal reducers and dumb adapters alike).

Looking forward to the full frame shots (in full size please).

Best,

Alex

-- hide signature --

carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

fferreres wrote:

chaimav wrote:

acktown wrote:

Here is a crop of SOOC I just took yesterday. Sorry, for privacy reasons I don't want to share the original.

Helios 44-2 58mm f2. I got it for the bokeh, not optical perfection.

fferreres Senior Member • Posts: 1,846

chaimav wrote:

fferreres wrote:

chaimav wrote:

acktown wrote:

Helios 44-2 58mm f2. I got it for the bokeh, not optical perfection.

I know, 44-2. But the higher the number after the minus sign, the higher the sharpness or other aberrations. So I was differentiating Helios 44-2 from 44-7.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads