Traveling to China, need to backup my files, any suggestions?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
nbirkett Senior Member • Posts: 1,578
Re: Traveling to China, need to backup my files, any suggestions?

Jimfastcar wrote:

I upload my pictures to iPad very day and as soon as I have good internet, I upload to DropBox. I don't delete SD cards, so I have 3 copies of every picture I take.

Thanks but being picky - how do you connect your SD card (or camera) to the iPad?  How much RAM does you iPad have?  What would you do it you filled up the internal RAM of the iPad?

I also do my editing on a copy so I have the original for some future date when I become more skilled at post processing , right now i am a rank novice in this area.

Good idea.

-- hide signature --

Nick

nbirkett's gear list:nbirkett's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +6 more
Jimfastcar
Jimfastcar Regular Member • Posts: 409

nbirkett wrote:

Jimfastcar wrote:

I upload my pictures to iPad very day and as soon as I have good internet, I upload to DropBox. I don't delete SD cards, so I have 3 copies of every picture I take.

Thanks but being picky - how do you connect your SD card (or camera) to the iPad? How much RAM does you iPad have? What would you do it you filled up the internal RAM of the iPad?

I also do my editing on a copy so I have the original for some future date when I become more skilled at post processing , right now i am a rank novice in this area.

Good idea.

Apple sells an SD card reader either USB C or lightning depending on your iPad vintage   My iPad is 256 GB of which 90 is pictures but with upcoming IOS 13 I will be able to offload to external drive if I wish   Internet can be dicey outside Europe and NA but you would eventually find enough speed to use something like DropBox or Google Drive    I use DropBox and pay I think around $5 per month for 1 TB which I use for all kinds of things not just pics

Jimfastcar's gear list:Jimfastcar's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +2 more
ZeBebito
OP ZeBebito Regular Member • Posts: 430

Jimfastcar wrote:

nbirkett wrote:

Jimfastcar wrote:

Thanks but being picky - how do you connect your SD card (or camera) to the iPad? How much RAM does you iPad have? What would you do it you filled up the internal RAM of the iPad?

Good idea.

Apple sells an SD card reader either USB C or lightning depending on your iPad vintage My iPad is 256 GB of which 90 is pictures but with upcoming IOS 13 I will be able to offload to external drive if I wish Internet can be dicey outside Europe and NA but you would eventually find enough speed to use something like DropBox or Google Drive I use DropBox and pay I think around $5 per month for 1 TB which I use for all kinds of things not just pics

This sounds as an excellent solution.

-- hide signature --

Focus on what's important

ZeBebito's gear list:ZeBebito's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Leica M8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Leica M Typ 240 Sony a7R II +12 more

Jimfastcar wrote:

nbirkett wrote:

Jimfastcar wrote:

Good idea.

Apple sells an SD card reader either USB C or lightning depending on your iPad vintage My iPad is 256 GB of which 90 is pictures but with upcoming IOS 13 I will be able to offload to external drive if I wish Internet can be dicey outside Europe and NA but you would eventually find enough speed to use something like DropBox or Google Drive I use DropBox and pay I think around $5 per month for 1 TB which I use for all kinds of things not just pics

Thanks.  That's helpful.

-- hide signature --

Nick

Nikon D90 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +6 more
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 2,459

nbirkett wrote:

sd cards cost more than portable USB HDD's:: about $0.40/GB compared to $0.25/GB).

I like to have back-ups on a different type of media. Likely sd cards are safe a secure. But, having the back-up on an SSD or HDD provides slightly more confidence.

I hear arguments about per GB pricing all the time. First off you get what you pay for. A SSD drive at 15% less cost still comes with the disadvantage of size, weight, transfer times, verifying your data transferred etc...

Secondly .30 cents a GB without even looking for a deal...

Thirdly there is no advantage to having a backup on a different media, unless you're worried about some threat that would destroy one media while not the other, I don't know of any threats that would take out an SD card while the HD survives, especially being that the SD card has the highest track record for data safety of any media, so putting a backup on any media besides it means you're stepping down a tier in protection. I can see a theoretical advantage to having a back up on a separate media so it get stored elsewhere compared to having 20 SD cards containing originals and back up bundled together as a single package, you lose the one item and you lose originals and back ups.

Obviously you can do this however you want, and I'm not trying to force you to do anything, just clarify some of the points you have which are a bit unfounded.

Personally I just think you haven't yet wrapped your head around how good you have it with a dual slot camera and are still stuck in a mindset of harddrive, must be a harddrive back up.

Personally I will enjoy the simple and safe ability of my camera to instantly backup my images onto another set of SD cards, because unfortunately the trend is these dual slots in cameras are going away. So I will definitely enjoy and take advantage of it while I can. I love the ability to travel with 2-3 TB of storage that basically could fit in my wallet.

mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
phil from seattle
phil from seattle Senior Member • Posts: 3,230

nbirkett wrote:

mfinley wrote:

nbirkett wrote:

Another option that I just discovered - on my Nikon D7200, I can have the camera copy all of the images on my main SD card to a back-up SD put into the second card slot. That provides a full back-up and can be done using sd cards, that are light, small and relatively inexpensive. Of course, you need a camera with two card slots and the appropriate software.

If people have specific details on how to do the other methods, could they post the specific hardware/software that would be needed (or that they use)? It would help to more fully understand the options. Thanks.

What more would you need to know if you have a dual slot camera? That's the simplest, fastest, most secure and cheapest solution there is. Why would you go about it any other way?

Using an in camera method may be easy (since you don't need to bring other hardware) but I'm not sure about the other feature you suggest.

I wrote most of that post before I realized that my camera could do SD card copying (I added the copying paragraph as an 'edit' after my initial post).

sd cards cost more than portable USB HDD's:: about $0.40/GB compared to $0.25/GB).

I like to have back-ups on a different type of media. Likely sd cards are safe a secure. But, having the back-up on an SSD or HDD provides slightly more confidence.

[edit - Finley beat me to it by 2 minutes!]

That's a false confidence. As long as you store the backups - whatever the actual media - separately you are well ahead of the game. And, spinning media (HDD) is never as reliable as solid state (SSD or SD Cards). I'd opt for the lightest/smallest solution - SD Cards.

On the point of what's cheapest - look at minimum overall cost as well. While cost per GB of spinning media (HDD) is low, you can't buy "just enough".

Also, consider your "in-field workflow". Are you doing any editing or posting on SM? If so, think about incorporating your backup strategy into the workflow. That's why a tablet with lots of storage (1/4 TB SD card) works well for me. Even if the tablet fails, the card is still usable. Copy photos onto the tablet each evening. Review, edit and post if needed. And with a USB cable, I don't even need a reader.

phil from seattle
phil from seattle Senior Member • Posts: 3,230

mfinley wrote:

nbirkett wrote:

Secondly .30 cents a GB without even looking for a deal...

Yes, indeed.  And SD Card prices are dropping faster than HDD or even SSD. Plus, your backup media doesn't need to be super fast so you don't need to pay a premium for the higher speed stuff.

Tim Lawson
Tim Lawson Junior Member • Posts: 29

A few people have mentioned the Apple connector for iPhone and iPad. See photo below for those who are unsure what this is.

I use this when travelling to backup my images to the iPad. I have a 128gb model so usually plenty of room. I also have a 128gb iPhone so could also use that if I run out of space.

The images are added to the normal iOS photo collection but i copy them into a separate album in order to be able to easily delete them when i get home and have successfully copied the originals to my Mac.

Note that iOS allows RAW to be copied via this method and does not destroy the file structure in any way.

Like many of the others here, I am concerned about backups when travelling. My camera does to have a dual SD card facility.

The RAVPower FileHub which is also mentioned in this thread sounds interesting and i may look at getting one of these as well. You can never have too many backups! 

Tim Lawson's gear list:Tim Lawson's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM
larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,899
dual slot backup?

nbirkett wrote:

mfinley wrote:

nbirkett wrote:

Another option that I just discovered - on my Nikon D7200, I can have the camera copy all of the images on my main SD card to a back-up SD put into the second card slot. That provides a full back-up and can be done using sd cards, that are light, small and relatively inexpensive. Of course, you need a camera with two card slots and the appropriate software.

If people have specific details on how to do the other methods, could they post the specific hardware/software that would be needed (or that they use)? It would help to more fully understand the options. Thanks.

What more would you need to know if you have a dual slot camera? That's the simplest, fastest, most secure and cheapest solution there is. Why would you go about it any other way?

Using an in camera method may be easy (since you don't need to bring other hardware) but I'm not sure about the other feature you suggest.

I wrote most of that post before I realized that my camera could do SD card copying (I added the copying paragraph as an 'edit' after my initial post).

But, the main reason for the last paragraph that you quote was to assist others to evaluate the options. Without specific details (or concrete examples) it is hard to evaluate the various suggestions for their cost and implications for travel weight and volume of 'stuff''. For example, if a phone based back-up process requires an Android phone, that method would require buying a new phone if you use an iPhone. And some people may like a method that would allow them to view or share images while traveling.

Could you elaborate on how Nikon uses the dual slots for backup? If I understand it correctly, it can be configured so that when you take a photo, it is immediately written to both cards in the slots. That provides a backup in case one of the cards gets corrupted but it doesn't address a common scenarios of image loss: if your camera gets stolen or lost, both cards are gone.

On the other hand, if it works by allowing you to use a single card (A), and then at the end of the day you can slip another card (B) into the second slot and copy everything from card A onto card B, then I can see that as being a decent option because it allows your backup to be separate from your camera.

phil from seattle wrote:

On the point of what's cheapest - look at minimum overall cost as well. While cost per GB of spinning media (HDD) is low, you can't buy "just enough".

You actually bring up one of the biggest points totally lost or ignored by most of us when it comes to HD back ups with travel.

There is a reason that a RAID system of multiple hard drives in an array is safer than one big hard drive. Using SD cards mimics that idea a bit, where you are breaking up the entire lump of data into multiple cards, so your backup gets even safer, instead of one card or one HD going down and killing all your data, you're segmenting the loss.

In reality the 64gb SD card I showed pricing wise isn't my first choice.

I actually prefer 32gb cards, reason being it takes too long to fill a 64gb card for me, which means I have my originals and backups sitting in one place - in the camera for too long. I prefer the 32s because with those I will be changing out cards about every 3 days or so and getting the backs up separated to another location other than carrying them around in the camera.

Which brings up the one disadvantage that I find with using the dual slot backup. With a HD being a laptop or tablet or a stand alone HD, I would be in the habit of backing up each days shooting that night, with the SD cards, like I said I'm backing up as I shoot but location wise, I'm carrying around my backups with the originals in camera for 3 day stretches. I suppose if I have something I consider exceptional that I've capture I can always transfer that series right away.

-- hide signature --
Re: dual slot backup?

larsbc wrote:

Could you elaborate on how Nikon uses the dual slots for backup? If I understand it correctly, it can be configured so that when you take a photo, it is immediately written to both cards in the slots. That provides a backup in case one of the cards gets corrupted but it doesn't address a common scenarios of image loss: if your camera gets stolen or lost, both cards are gone.

On the other hand, if it works by allowing you to use a single card (A), and then at the end of the day you can slip another card (B) into the second slot and copy everything from card A onto card B, then I can see that as being a decent option because it allows your backup to be separate from your camera.

See my above post where I address this in detail. But essentially the really simple answer is to buy smaller sized SD storage cards, (which are cheaper anyway). Or simply not waiting till a card is filled to switch to a new card. SD cards are really cheap, especially if you are buying 32s or 16s and get them in bulk or on sale.

This picture shows how I used to travel with an SD wallet to keep everything and a 1/2 dozen SD cards. Now that I've switched up to a EM-1 camera with dual slots I will add about 10 more cards and a 2nd wallet, one for originals and one for backups.

The SD adapter is for the micro SD card in a Gopro and the micro USB is 256GB by itself, acts as a 2nd hard drive for the laptop if needed.

-- hide signature --
larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,899

nbirkett wrote:

Phone transfers: I use an iPhone. I don't think that an iPhone can transfer from an SD card to a USB drive. The next version of iOS may help make that possible but you would still needed adpaters to connect the SD card and USB drive to the phone. Are Android phones able to do this already and do they make it easy?

Most of the Android phones I'm familiar with support USB OTG (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go) which allows them to act as hosts for other USB devices. So you can combine the Android device with a USB hub or USB hub with built-in card reader to do your backups. The only other thing required is your USB storage device (I use 2.5" drive enclosures filled with whatever ex-laptop drive I have available...these days, most of them contain solid state drives from laptops that I've upgraded to larger sizes). You'll also need a file manager app but they're fairly common.

Here's an example of an OTG USB hub that also has a card reader (I have not personally tried this one): https://www.amazon.com/Rocketek-Adapter-MacBook-Smartphones-Function/dp/B07MJ61TJV/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=otg+usb+hub&qid=1562865100&s=gateway&sr=8-14

I mentioned in another post that it can be fussy to get it all working together. Typically, the trouble occurs when I have the card and USB drive attached to the hub at the same time. Usually, it works, but sometimes the drive isn't detected. But what always works is if I put the micro SD card directly into my phone or tablet's slot and just connect a single drive to the USB hub. NOTE: I have standardized on micro USB for my mobile devices & cameras. My cameras have SD card slots so I use the SD card <-> micro SD card adapters.

What 'tablet' are people talking about? Again, AFIK, ipads can not do that transfer with the current iOS. Are their windows-based tablets that are light and able to do this?

This would be trivial with a Windows Surface but I wouldn't exactly call them light.

Copying from an SD card directly to another SD card likely would need a computing device to interconnect them. I know that, for some cameras, you could use the second card slot to store a back-up. But, it would still be nice to have a back-up on a separate type of device.

Backing up to the cloud requires an Internet connection. On many trips (e.g. cruises) connectivity can be hard, slow and expensive. You also still need to be able to read the SD cards into a device that will be able to access the Internet.

When I was in China about 4 yrs ago, hotel Internet quality was spotty. Personally, I wouldn't want to rely on it since you can't depend on the Great Firewall giving you access to your cloud. I couldn't even access some of my university's servers.

I prefer keeping my backups in a small, discreet form factor; something that won't be targeted by thieves.  That's why I don't keep my backups on my laptop.  A USB HDD enclosure kind of fits that bill in that it is small and not flashy.  But backing up onto SD cards or USB sticks gives you an even smaller and less conspicuous format.

Jimfastcar wrote:

Going to the cloud is always a great option if you can access it with enough bandwidth. Travelling domestically in the USA high speed internet is almost a given, but internationally it depends on where you are.

I spent 6 weeks in New Zealand and was amazed at the lack of high speed internet available, in 18 different places I stayed I think at most 3 of them had great internet, the rest were slow, spotty,  throttled or limited the amount of data uploads.

-- hide signature --
Grumpy002 Forum Member • Posts: 57

I have one of the Ravpower file hubs. It was a bit of a nightmare to set up initially (download the manual rather than relying on the minimalist instructions in the box) but once over that hurdle it works well. Backup SD cards to USB sticks or a portable hard drive using your phone to control it.

Small and light and has a built in power bank which might be useful now and again

Re: dual slot backup?

larsbc wrote:

You can do it both ways. The first way 'automates' the process of getting two copies.  But, until you remove the second sd card from the camera, you have the back-up in the same physical place as the original.

The other way can be done at the end of the day, copying the contents of the primary sd to a second card you install just for the back-up. Then, you can store that back-up sd in a separate place.

-- hide signature --

Nick

mfinley wrote:

nbirkett wrote:

First, there was a typo. The comparison should have been $0.40/GB vs $0.05/GB (not $0.25). A TB of back-up capacity with sd cards would be around $600, based on your price of $20/32GB. A 1TB external SSD USB-3 drive is around $140. Both can do back-ups but the USB has other uses and is 25% of the price. The case is more complex than just this comparison but my comments are not misleading.

Thirdly there is no advantage to having a backup on a different media, unless you're worried about some threat that would destroy one media while not the other, I don't know of any threats that would take out an SD card while the HD survives, especially being that the SD card has the highest track record for data safety of any media, so putting a backup on any media besides it means you're stepping down a tier in protection. I can see a theoretical advantage to having a back up on a separate media so it get stored elsewhere compared to having 20 SD cards containing originals and back up bundled together as a single package, you lose the one item and you lose originals and back ups.

I still don't trust sd cards. Sorry. I had one card get destroyed due to static electricity. I hear reports of cards having their connectors damaged and becoming unreadable. Yes, I know that HHD and SSD can fail. But, I have more confidence in them than in SD. Maybe that is misplaced and based on an 'old mindset' but part of backing up is peace of mind.

I have several portable USB-3 drives, both HHD and SSD. They are light and don't take up much space. These are convenient and not expensive to use. I don't have enough sd cards to use as back-ups. And, I find sd cards to be easy to lose and 'fiddly'.

Obviously you can do this however you want, and I'm not trying to force you to do anything, just clarify some of the points you have which are a bit unfounded.

I don't think that my content is unfounded. You may disagree with the interpretation of what the information means but that is different. And, my main message to folks is to be explicit in what they are proposing so that readers can access the viability of the proposed methods in their use scenario.

Personally I just think you haven't yet wrapped your head around how good you have it with a dual slot camera and are still stuck in a mindset of harddrive, must be a harddrive back up.

If I were really stuck in a old mindset, I'd be suggesting back-ups on DVD's, CD's or even magnetic tape

Personally I will enjoy the simple and safe ability of my camera to instantly backup my images onto another set of SD cards, because unfortunately the trend is these dual slots in cameras are going away. So I will definitely enjoy and take advantage of it while I can. I love the ability to travel with 2-3 TB of storage that basically could fit in my wallet.

As you say - to each your own. Any back-up is better than no back-up. The method you use should be something that you are comfortable with.

-- hide signature --

Nick

nbirkett wrote:

I don't think that my content is unfounded.

I was referring mostly to your pricing per GB for SD cards not so much anything else. As I think we agree with each other that there are many ways to skin the cat. 

-- hide signature --
ZeBebito
OP ZeBebito Regular Member • Posts: 430

Tim Lawson wrote:

A few people have mentioned the Apple connector for iPhone and iPad. See photo below for those who are unsure what this is.

I use this when travelling to backup my images to the iPad. I have a 128gb model so usually plenty of room. I also have a 128gb iPhone so could also use that if I run out of space.

The images are added to the normal iOS photo collection but i copy them into a separate album in order to be able to easily delete them when i get home and have successfully copied the originals to my Mac.

Note that iOS allows RAW to be copied via this method and does not destroy the file structure in any way.

Like many of the others here, I am concerned about backups when travelling. My camera does to have a dual SD card facility.

The RAVPower FileHub which is also mentioned in this thread sounds interesting and i may look at getting one of these as well. You can never have too many backups!

Tim, definitely this will be my solution. Glad to know it supports RAW transfer since my XR phone has 256GB so there is plenty of space. Anyway, I won't delete anything until I get back home. Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Focus on what's important

ZeBebito's gear list:ZeBebito's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Leica M8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Leica M Typ 240 Sony a7R II +12 more

mfinley wrote:

nbirkett wrote:

I don't think that my content is unfounded.

I was referring mostly to your pricing per GB for SD cards not so much anything else. As I think we agree with each other that there are many ways to skin the cat.

Understood.  Sorry I went off on a tangent.

-- hide signature --

Nick

Tim Lawson
Tim Lawson Junior Member • Posts: 29
RAVPower FileHub

All,

Found a really good review of the RAVPower FileHub if anyone is looking at this device for backup.

Be aware that you will need a separate portable drive to connect to the RAVPower when backing up SD cards.

Think I will try one of these devices. Will post an update on it when I do.

https://thetechnologyman.com/review-ravpower-filehub-newest-model-inexpensive-wireless-storage-for-your-tablet-or-smartphone/#comment-54831

Tim Lawson's gear list:Tim Lawson's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads