magical Venice

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
OP snappyden Veteran Member • Posts: 3,925
Re: magical Venice

jkjond wrote:

snappyden wrote:

just a few from the most incredible place on earth!

Superb photo location. You got quite a few back slaps, I'll add a few suggestions on each image.

First one, I'm not sure if my comment is worth adding as it should be really obvious - but wouldn't it have been better to take a step or two to either side so as not to obscure the cupola wiht the light? You have huge control over the alignment of foreground/background objects - move around and find the optimum.

Good to see you had some mist. Make the most of it, don't fight it. I find your crop a bit too tight at the top here.

The pattern and repetition is interesting but I'd have liked to see the full reflections of the boats in the canal - and though I'm no purist for architectural detail I find the distortions on the background make this too much of a snapshot. Take a bit more time and explore the subject to get the most out of it.

Good mist. I find the left hand light is way too tight to the border and feels compromised. This emphasises how central the jogger is and creates and odd tension in a photo that could easily have been more balanced.

Indecisive composition. The boats look great, from what I can see of them, but the background isn't so great and I can see too much of it. The reflections on the left are the most interesting part.

The haze is attractive but the composition lacks precision - the reflection is screaming out that it wants to be the subject but you've cropped it out. Venice is a city of reflections. My overall recommendation is to go back there and take more

Morning,

thanks for taking the time to review and suggest ways to improve mh photography.  While I don't agree with all of your suggestions, I do appreciate them.  Also, in a place like Venice, its not often easy, or even possible to move back or sideways to create a more appropriate frame for the image without falling off a bridge or into a canal.

Best,

Den

snappyden's gear list:snappyden's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Sony RX100
sabrina81
sabrina81 Senior Member • Posts: 5,565
Just for fun

The Lone Runner

Nikita66 Contributing Member • Posts: 984
Re: Just for fun

sabrina81 wrote:

The Lone Runner

Yes, excellent. Get rid of the other people. I like it.

Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 13,480

Very nice set, Den!

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
Re: Just for fun

sabrina81 wrote:

The Lone Runner

Sabrina,

I love it!

Den

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Very nice set, Den!

Thanks Reilly, glad you enjoyed them.

Den

jkjond
jkjond Veteran Member • Posts: 9,097

snappyden wrote:

Morning,

thanks for taking the time to review and suggest ways to improve mh photography. While I don't agree with all of your suggestions, I do appreciate them.

No probs, it is all opinion in the end.

Also, in a place like Venice, its not often easy, or even possible to move back or sideways to create a more appropriate frame for the image without falling off a bridge or into a canal.

Ah, but as is so often is the case, photography is the art of compromise - the real art is not showing any compromise in the finished shots. You don't want to end up with a load of fisherman's tales 'if only I'd have had my...'.

There is something to be said for taking a single prime lens on a photo shoot so that you have to learn to cope with limitations and work harder to find the optimum viewpoint for what you have with you. It is too easy to view the world through a zoom rather than look for the perfect viewpoint before raising a camera to your eye.

it would take confidence to leave most of your kit at home when going to a place like Venice. Then again, why not? A change of mindset and fresh challenge can sharpen up an approach.

Best,

Den

-- hide signature --

Wedding and fine art photographer www.johnleechstudio.co.uk

jkjond wrote:

snappyden wrote:

Morning,

thanks for taking the time to review and suggest ways to improve mh photography. While I don't agree with all of your suggestions, I do appreciate them.

No probs, it is all opinion in the end.

Also, in a place like Venice, its not often easy, or even possible to move back or sideways to create a more appropriate frame for the image without falling off a bridge or into a canal.

Ah, but as is so often is the case, photography is the art of compromise - the real art is not showing any compromise in the finished shots. You don't want to end up with a load of fisherman's tales 'if only I'd have had my...'.

There is something to be said for taking a single prime lens on a photo shoot so that you have to learn to cope with limitations and work harder to find the optimum viewpoint for what you have with you. It is too easy to view the world through a zoom rather than look for the perfect viewpoint before raising a camera to your eye.

it would take confidence to leave most of your kit at home when going to a place like Venice. Then again, why not? A change of mindset and fresh challenge can sharpen up an approach.

Best,

Den

Agree, and have recently been thinking about buying a Fuji x-t30 with just one prime lens and challenging myself.

I will add that as a traveler, I visit places primairly to enjoy the different architectures, cultures, foods, etc., and photography is just a hobby.  So I really don't want to spend any more time thinking about and finding the best position for each shot, which would reduce the finite time we have at any travel site to enjoy why we visited.  To me, that certainly plays into having a zoom lens and not one constant focal length.

Best,

Den

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads