magical Venice

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
snappyden Veteran Member • Posts: 3,888
magical Venice
8

just a few from the most incredible place on earth!

 snappyden's gear list:snappyden's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Sony RX100
kaphinga
kaphinga Senior Member • Posts: 2,124
Re: magical Venice

I always love pictures of Venice, and it is indeed magical.  Your b&w ones are especially nice.  Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Marie

 kaphinga's gear list:kaphinga's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Apple iPhone 7 Plus Olympus OM-D E-M10 +16 more
OP snappyden Veteran Member • Posts: 3,888
Re: magical Venice

kaphinga wrote:

I always love pictures of Venice, and it is indeed magical. Your b&w ones are especially nice. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, I also really enjoy the B&W images.  If you like to read, there is an incredible author, who lives in Venice and writes mysteries set there where you feel like you're walking down the streets of Venice when you read her books.  Internationally acclaimed, Donna Leon.

Den

 snappyden's gear list:snappyden's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Sony RX100
pekored
pekored Regular Member • Posts: 210
Re: magical Venice

Yes, great shots.  Makes me want to go!

-- hide signature --
 pekored's gear list:pekored's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR
OP snappyden Veteran Member • Posts: 3,888
Re: magical Venice

pekored wrote:

Yes, great shots. Makes me want to go!

Thanks, I always want to go there!

Den

 snappyden's gear list:snappyden's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Sony RX100
tripleC
tripleC Senior Member • Posts: 1,637
Re: magical Venice

Great series. I like 1, 2 and 6. B/W are real nice.

 tripleC's gear list:tripleC's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G
sabrina81
sabrina81 Senior Member • Posts: 5,460
Re: magical Venice

In the final image, I like how the foreground has more contrast and definition than the foggy background, giving it a sense of depth. I experimented with exaggerating that difference a bit: a little more contrast and clarity in the foreground, a little more softness in the background. Very nice image as it is. Just experimenting.

Animated gif. View at original size for animation:

OP snappyden Veteran Member • Posts: 3,888
Re: magical Venice

sabrina81 wrote:

In the final image, I like how the foreground has more contrast and definition than the foggy background, giving it a sense of depth. I experimented with exaggerating that difference a bit: a little more contrast and clarity in the foreground, a little more softness in the background. Very nice image as it is. Just experimenting.

Animated gif. View at original size for animation:

Sabrina,

I'll have to view it longer before I can determine which I prefer, but I really appreciate you taking your time to do this.

Many thanks,

Den

 snappyden's gear list:snappyden's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Sony RX100
OP snappyden Veteran Member • Posts: 3,888
Re: magical Venice

tripleC wrote:

Great series. I like 1, 2 and 6. B/W are real nice.

Thanks, here are a few more B&W.

Den

 snappyden's gear list:snappyden's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Sony RX100
kaphinga
kaphinga Senior Member • Posts: 2,124
Re: magical Venice

snappyden wrote:

kaphinga wrote:

I always love pictures of Venice, and it is indeed magical. Your b&w ones are especially nice. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, I also really enjoy the B&W images. If you like to read, there is an incredible author, who lives in Venice and writes mysteries set there where you feel like you're walking down the streets of Venice when you read her books. Internationally acclaimed, Donna Leon.

Donna Leon is awesome! I have read about 2/3 of her books. There is also a German television series based on her novels.   Last time I was in Venice, we were staying in an apartment in an obscure location in San Polo.  As we were coming and going, we would notice a steady stream of people heading down a twisting Calle around the corner from our apartment.  Turns out that the apartment that was used as the setting for Brunetti's roof garden in the TV series was one block past our apartment.  I didn't realize it until after I got back to the States.

-- hide signature --

Marie

 kaphinga's gear list:kaphinga's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Apple iPhone 7 Plus Olympus OM-D E-M10 +16 more
OP snappyden Veteran Member • Posts: 3,888
Re: magical Venice

kaphinga wrote:

snappyden wrote:

kaphinga wrote:

I always love pictures of Venice, and it is indeed magical. Your b&w ones are especially nice. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, I also really enjoy the B&W images. If you like to read, there is an incredible author, who lives in Venice and writes mysteries set there where you feel like you're walking down the streets of Venice when you read her books. Internationally acclaimed, Donna Leon.

Donna Leon is awesome! I have read about 2/3 of her books. There is also a German television series based on her novels. Last time I was in Venice, we were staying in an apartment in an obscure location in San Polo. As we were coming and going, we would notice a steady stream of people heading down a twisting Calle around the corner from our apartment. Turns out that the apartment that was used as the setting for Brunetti's roof garden in the TV series was one block past our apartment. I didn't realize it until after I got back to the States.

Marie,

I sure wish I had been with you when you passed by Brunetti's apartment, so cool. Keep enjoying the books, as I do.

Best,

Den

 snappyden's gear list:snappyden's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Sony RX100
Nikita66 Contributing Member • Posts: 977
Re: magical Venice

sabrina81 wrote:

In the final image, I like how the foreground has more contrast and definition than the foggy background, giving it a sense of depth. I experimented with exaggerating that difference a bit: a little more contrast and clarity in the foreground, a little more softness in the background. Very nice image as it is. Just experimenting.

Excellent. Good job as always, Sabrina. I see the distinction more "distinctly."

sabrina81
sabrina81 Senior Member • Posts: 5,460
Re: magical Venice
1

snappyden wrote:

I'll have to view it longer before I can determine which I prefer,

Same here. My approach is that it is always more important to suspend judgment and experiment than to settle on a final outcome. I learn a lot more by creating alternative outcomes, and very little from choosing one above the others.

OP snappyden Veteran Member • Posts: 3,888
Re: magical Venice

sabrina81 wrote:

snappyden wrote:

I'll have to view it longer before I can determine which I prefer,

Same here. My approach is that it is always more important to suspend judgment and experiment than to settle on a final outcome. I learn a lot more by creating alternative outcomes, and very little from choosing one above the others.

Interesting philosophy, I like it!

Den

 snappyden's gear list:snappyden's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Sony RX100
RussellP Senior Member • Posts: 2,319
Re: magical Venice

Thanks they are great. We are heading there in October for a couple of days. Even have a personal photo tour organised with a local photographer.

Any tips on especially good places to take some pictures?

regards

Russell

-- hide signature --
 RussellP's gear list:RussellP's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon Coolpix A SeaLife DC2000 Sony RX100 VI Nikon 1 V1 +1 more
OP snappyden Veteran Member • Posts: 3,888
Re: magical Venice
1

RussellP wrote:

Thanks they are great. We are heading there in October for a couple of days. Even have a personal photo tour organised with a local photographer.

Any tips on especially good places to take some pictures?

regards

Russell

Russell,

You are going to be blown away by its beauty.  just wandering around and getting lost will be the best way to see Venice, IMHO.  One key is to get up early and roam the streets before all the tourists and inhabitants hit the streets.  So much nicer without hordes of people.

Example, here's San Marco in early morning and middle of day.

Den

 snappyden's gear list:snappyden's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Sony RX100
RussellP Senior Member • Posts: 2,319
Re: magical Venice

Thanks Den

Yes I had read that. We are staying about 2mins walk from St.Marks Square (on the Grand Canal) so intend some evening and morning visits.

Very much looking forward to visiting.

We have 1 1/2 days to ourselves to wander plus 2 nights and then a morning back street photo tour with this guy.

https://www.photowalkinvenice.com/about-me

cheers

Russell

-- hide signature --
 RussellP's gear list:RussellP's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon Coolpix A SeaLife DC2000 Sony RX100 VI Nikon 1 V1 +1 more
Sangster Contributing Member • Posts: 865
Re: magical Venice

5/7 is my fav. I find my eyes wandering the frame. The fog adds a sense of mystery. Is that fellow jogging in the fog?

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

 Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
jkjond
jkjond Veteran Member • Posts: 9,040
Re: magical Venice

Venice is a superb photo venue. You have to try really hard not to take something worthwhile.

It isn't large, there are photo ops everywhere, my advice is to walk and walk and walk and don't just take the usual shots. Getting up for sunrise and watching the city wake up is the way to go. Then back to bed for mid day until it starts to get dark again and the streets clear - unless you like taking pics of tourists in which case you will be spoilt for choice during daylight hours.

I read an interesting article recently about locals leaving Venice, the population is being swamped by tourists... much like any popular tourist place.

-- hide signature --

Wedding and fine art photographer www.johnleechstudio.co.uk

jkjond
jkjond Veteran Member • Posts: 9,040
Re: magical Venice
1

snappyden wrote:

just a few from the most incredible place on earth!

Superb photo location. You got quite a few back slaps, I'll add a few suggestions on each image.

First one, I'm not sure if my comment is worth adding as it should be really obvious - but wouldn't it have been better to take a step or two to either side so as not to obscure the cupola wiht the light? You have huge control over the alignment of foreground/background objects - move around and find the optimum.

Good to see you had some mist. Make the most of it, don't fight it. I find your crop a bit too tight at the top here.

The pattern and repetition is interesting but I'd have liked to see the full reflections of the boats in the canal - and though I'm no purist for architectural detail I find the distortions on the background make this too much of a snapshot. Take a bit more time and explore the subject to get the most out of it.

Good mist. I find the left hand light is way too tight to the border and feels compromised. This emphasises how central the jogger is and creates and odd tension in a photo that could easily have been more balanced.

Indecisive composition. The boats look great, from what I can see of them, but the background isn't so great and I can see too much of it. The reflections on the left are the most interesting part.

The haze is attractive but the composition lacks precision - the reflection is screaming out that it wants to be the subject but you've cropped it out. Venice is a city of reflections. My overall recommendation is to go back there and take more

-- hide signature --

Wedding and fine art photographer www.johnleechstudio.co.uk

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads