Travel camera feedback (LX7 vs LX100 II vs Fuji X70)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
OP eidetic_photog Regular Member • Posts: 103
Re: Travel camera feedback (LX7 vs LX100 II vs Fuji X70)

joecan wrote:

I do have both cameras. The LX7 is a great camera, with the tilting EVF is still a good value making really nice photographs.

The LX100 mk 2 is a step higher. The images are just better, and the videos are fantastic.

I did try the iZoom, and is fine to 150 mm equivalent . It is also one more thing to consider : uploading in iPad or laptop via WiFi. It is in todays world for some people a plus.

Joe

It is good to hear that you have both and that you think that the LX100 II is that much better.

Thanks for your input!

 eidetic_photog's gear list:eidetic_photog's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
OP eidetic_photog Regular Member • Posts: 103
Re: Travel camera feedback (LX7 vs LX100 II vs Fuji X70)
1

Jon_T wrote:

I have the LX100 MKI.

I really the LX100 MKI for its hands-on operation. However I would not consider the LX100 a "pocketable" compact; in fact I find it too bulky (overall body/ lens depth) to comfortably carry in a belt-type case.

Also for myself I find the 75mm EFL too short for travel, hence I got the ZS100 to complement the LX100 as the ZS100 is pocketable and can be carried in a belt-type case, and the ZS100 uses the same battery as the LX100.

CameraSize.com

If you truly want a "pocketable" travel compact, IMHO its hard to beat the RX100 VI with its f/2.8-4.5 24-200mm EFL if you don't mind the $1,198.00 price.
DPR RX100 VI Review HERE.

Below a screen-shot of the DPR Studio Scene Comparison Tool HERE:

You can easily do you own quick comparisons.

The ZS100 probably the current best 'bang-for-the-buck', but IMHO to get optimum IQ need to shoot RAW.
DPR ZS100 Review HERE.
Imaging-Resource.com ZS100 Review HERE. Has a lot of JPG/ RAW images.

Right now you can get the ZS100 with the Panasonic DMW-BLG10 Li-Ion Battery & Charger Travel Bundle from B&H Photo for $497.99 (includes free shipping) HERE .

ZS100 —— LX100 II

Cheers,
Jon

Thanks for all of the thought you put into this and all of the detail. Perhaps I should buy my wife a ZS100 to compliment whatever I end up carrying.

I looked at the ZS100 and the Sony RX100 IV, but I really love the manual controls of the LX100 series and to a lesser extent the LX7. I had an LX3 before the LX7, so I find the ergonomics very natural now.

Thanks again for the input.

 eidetic_photog's gear list:eidetic_photog's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
grsnovi
grsnovi Regular Member • Posts: 398
Re: Travel camera feedback (LX7 vs LX100 II vs Fuji X70)

Maybe you need to ask yourself: "Am I just struggling with a bout of G.A.S.?" I know I am...

Like you, I'm headed out on a trip. Like you, I have a perfectly good larger rig with a lot of glass. Like you I also have a great small camera.

My most recent exposure to cameras started with the LX7 which was purchased for me to use at work. When the LX100 came out, I bought one for myself and find that I typically take that with me when my wife and I travel (she takes the Olympus Tough). I usually end up thinking to myself that the 70mm on the LX100 just isn't enough reach but I also end up pretty happy with the shots I end up with one they're printed.

You have both a large and small rig - you have the spectrum covered. What is it that you feel you'd gain by adding yet another into the mix?

 grsnovi's gear list:grsnovi's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Sony SLT-A65 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +9 more
Mike Wrob Regular Member • Posts: 383
Re: Travel camera feedback (LX7 vs LX100 II vs Fuji X70)
4

I have both the LX100 II and the ZS100.  The Lx is definitely not pocketable, but it works just fine for me in a belt case.  When travelling I take the ZS100 for the smaller size, longer zoom, and it's better suited to automatic operation (which I use a lot when taking quick travel shots).  However, I enjoy the LX100 II more and try to use it as much as possible in most other situations, ie. hiking etc.

 Mike Wrob's gear list:Mike Wrob's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic LX100 II Apple iPhone X
Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 4,454
Re: Travel camera feedback (LX7 vs LX100 II vs Fuji X70)
1

eidetic_photog wrote:

Jon_T wrote:

I have the LX100 MKI.

I really the LX100 MKI for its hands-on operation. However I would not consider the LX100 a "pocketable" compact; in fact I find it too bulky (overall body/ lens depth) to comfortably carry in a belt-type case.

Also for myself I find the 75mm EFL too short for travel, hence I got the ZS100 to complement the LX100 as the ZS100 is pocketable and can be carried in a belt-type case, and the ZS100 uses the same battery as the LX100.

CameraSize.com

If you truly want a "pocketable" travel compact, IMHO its hard to beat the RX100 VI with its f/2.8-4.5 24-200mm EFL if you don't mind the $1,198.00 price.
DPR RX100 VI Review HERE.

<SNIP>

Thanks for all of the thought you put into this and all of the detail. ...

You're welcome.

... but I really love the manual controls of the LX100 series ...

Same reasons I bought the LX100 MK1, but as I noted ".. If you truly want a "pocketable" travel compact ..."  the LX100 overall depth size too large to be "pocketable" compact.

Good Luck!; and post some pics when you get back home.

Jon

 Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS 6D Canon 6D Mark II +18 more
Cpljacko Regular Member • Posts: 458
Re: Travel camera feedback (LX7 vs LX100 II vs Fuji X70)
4

eidetic_photog wrote:

My question to any of the LX100 II users here is whether you think that it is a big enough step up from both the LX7 and X70. What other pros and cons can you think of compared to the other cameras I mentioned?

Know nothing of the X70 but I had the LX7 which was super camera with the add-on EVF. I now have the LX100ii and reasons I would commend are that it has a viewfinder, is fun to use, and allows you to get exactly the result you are looking for. As others have said, it is not a pocket camera and nor was the LX7. My suggestion would be to use your phone as your pocket camera and the LX100 for things that you regard as important to get right. Hang it round your neck on your travels and when you suddenly find yourself in the shadow-filled great hall of a Tudor manor house, viewing ancient hills in twilight, or contemplating the dimly lit nave of a 12th century village church you'll be able to capture the feeling of what you see in a way your phone just won't. In most situations it will give you great results.

 Cpljacko's gear list:Cpljacko's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic LX100 II Panasonic LX10 Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II
edhume
edhume Contributing Member • Posts: 799
Re: Travel camera feedback (LX7 vs LX100 II vs Fuji X70)

If you like the LX7, consider the LX10

LX10 vs LX7

 edhume's gear list:edhume's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 DxO Optics Pro Elite Silkypix Developer Studio Pro Corel Aftershot Pro +8 more
kbarni Regular Member • Posts: 159
Re: Travel camera feedback (LX7 vs LX100 II vs Fuji X70)
2

First, the iPhone is a very capable photography tool. It's also really pocketable and easy to use. Dedicated photo cameras have two advantages over a smartphone: optical zoom and low-light sensibility. Oh, and one more thing: they require to stop and think more about your photo. With the smartphone you just shoot without worrying.

It's up to you to see which one of these features fits your shooting style.

If you need zoom range (generally this is the case of travel photography), a Lumix TZ (ZS) camera would be the best.

If you really need an excellent image quality and don't care about zoom, go with a Lumix LX.

The LX7 has the advantage of being pocketable; and that you already own it. I think the LX100II has only a marginal advantage over it in terms of image quality (slightly higher resolution and better low light sensitivity). On the other hand the LX100II not really pocketable.

I own an LX100II, and IMHO its biggest advantage is that it encourages manual mode shooting (even more than a DSLR) with all the dials at your fingertip. So I'm taking better pictures simply because it forces me to think about the photo while I set up everything. However when you are traveling (especially with a family) spending a lot of time taking photos is not the first thing you want to do.

So to sum up:

  1. enjoy your trip and worry less about photography
  2. use the gear you have, know and enjoy using
  3. if you need more reach, buy a TZ(ZS)100
  4. the LX100II is not really a travel camera and has little advantage over the LX7.
 kbarni's gear list:kbarni's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D
Escaping Senior Member • Posts: 1,176
Re: Travel camera feedback (LX7 vs LX100 II vs Fuji X70)

Since you will be taking a Z6 with you to this trip, my suggestion is to take the LX7 with you, instead of the LX100 (either Mk1 or Mk2). The ability to carry with you the smaller and more pocket friendly LX7 while enjoying the pleasure of the vacation is the primary reason. The LX100 is not really a P&S to drop into your pocket. If photography is the focus of the moment, you would have the Z6 anyway. The LX7 complements the Z6 better.

I have quite a few P&S, including the LX3-LX5-LX7, the LX100, the ZS70, ZS100, Nikon Coolpix A (similar in size to the Fuji X70), Sony HX80. I also have a few different DSLR and MLC's. When I travel for a vacation I tend to find the combination of cameras that are complementary to cover the broad range of purposes. My user cases are for somewhat serious photography (like landscape or landmarks), environmental street photography, low light (evening and inside museums), to casual (when photography is secondary) like a good evening at a restaurant. There is no camera that covers every situation. My standard "set in the bag" is (1) an IQ camera with an all purpose lens such as a Nikon D7500 + 16-80, (2) UWA on a 2nd body (recently that is the Fuji 10-24 on the XT20), (3) an all purpose P&S (used to be the LX7, now the ZS100), plus a fast prime for low light (Fuji 35/1.4 or Nikon 35/1.8 DX) and a telephoto zoom for reach (70-300). I tend to bring along also a mini small flash that can bounce (SB400). I find that the flash and the telephoto were not taken out of the bag too often (the ZS100 telephoto reach is often enough) as I dont like change lenses. I enjoy to just capture the images at the moment.

-- hide signature --

Esc (CT, USA) www.pbase.com/cvanlang
Z6 / Df / D810 / D750 / D500 / D7500 / D5500 / K-5 / X-T2 / X-E3 / GX85 / V1-V2-V3 / LX100 / X30 / Coolpix A / ZS100 / HX80

 Escaping's gear list:Escaping's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic LX100 Fujifilm X30 +81 more
123dy Regular Member • Posts: 176
Re: Travel camera feedback (LX7 vs LX100 II vs Fuji X70)
1

Interesting post. Just on point 1, for a solo traveller especially, having a camera with you can be very important. Earlier this year i went to portugal for 2 weeks and for a reason that made sense at the time put my camera in my hold luggage. The luggage didn't arrive and until it did, 3 or 4 days later, my travel experience lacked something.

Also on point 3, the TZ100 has been joined for well over a year by the TZ200. I don't know exactly what the price difference is, but seriously why would anyone buy an older obsolescent superseded model just to save a few dollars (or pounds or euros etc)?

OP eidetic_photog Regular Member • Posts: 103
Re: Travel camera feedback (LX7 vs LX100 II vs Fuji X70)

grsnovi wrote:

Maybe you need to ask yourself: "Am I just struggling with a bout of G.A.S.?" I know I am...

Like you, I'm headed out on a trip. Like you, I have a perfectly good larger rig with a lot of glass. Like you I also have a great small camera.

My most recent exposure to cameras started with the LX7 which was purchased for me to use at work. When the LX100 came out, I bought one for myself and find that I typically take that with me when my wife and I travel (she takes the Olympus Tough). I usually end up thinking to myself that the 70mm on the LX100 just isn't enough reach but I also end up pretty happy with the shots I end up with one they're printed.

You have both a large and small rig - you have the spectrum covered. What is it that you feel you'd gain by adding yet another into the mix?

I definitely struggle with G.A.S. Just ask my wife.

I also suffer from FOMO, more specifically fear of missing out on a once in a lifetime shot because I am either 1) not carrying a camera other than my phone or 2) not carrying a camera that is "good enough" for that shot. I know that it is unnecessary, especially as a hobbyist, but that is an issue for me.

 eidetic_photog's gear list:eidetic_photog's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
OP eidetic_photog Regular Member • Posts: 103
Re: Travel camera feedback (LX7 vs LX100 II vs Fuji X70)

Cpljacko wrote:

eidetic_photog wrote:

My question to any of the LX100 II users here is whether you think that it is a big enough step up from both the LX7 and X70. What other pros and cons can you think of compared to the other cameras I mentioned?

Know nothing of the X70 but I had the LX7 which was super camera with the add-on EVF. I now have the LX100ii and reasons I would commend are that it has a viewfinder, is fun to use, and allows you to get exactly the result you are looking for. As others have said, it is not a pocket camera and nor was the LX7. My suggestion would be to use your phone as your pocket camera and the LX100 for things that you regard as important to get right. Hang it round your neck on your travels and when you suddenly find yourself in the shadow-filled great hall of a Tudor manor house, viewing ancient hills in twilight, or contemplating the dimly lit nave of a 12th century village church you'll be able to capture the feeling of what you see in a way your phone just won't. In most situations it will give you great results.

My thoughts exactly. It is nice to hear that you have both. Thanks!

 eidetic_photog's gear list:eidetic_photog's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
OP eidetic_photog Regular Member • Posts: 103
Re: Travel camera feedback (LX7 vs LX100 II vs Fuji X70)

edhume wrote:

If you like the LX7, consider the LX10

LX10 vs LX7

That is an interesting point and something to consider. I always considered the LX100 as the spiritual successor to the LX7 even though the LX10 is more likely the true logical successor.

To me, the LX100 was everything that I always wanted in my LX7 with the additional manual controls, but the LX10 does appear to be a great camera.

 eidetic_photog's gear list:eidetic_photog's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
OP eidetic_photog Regular Member • Posts: 103
Re: Travel camera feedback (LX7 vs LX100 II vs Fuji X70)

kbarni wrote:

First, the iPhone is a very capable photography tool. It's also really pocketable and easy to use. Dedicated photo cameras have two advantages over a smartphone: optical zoom and low-light sensibility. Oh, and one more thing: they require to stop and think more about your photo. With the smartphone you just shoot without worrying.

It's up to you to see which one of these features fits your shooting style.

If you need zoom range (generally this is the case of travel photography), a Lumix TZ (ZS) camera would be the best.

If you really need an excellent image quality and don't care about zoom, go with a Lumix LX.

The LX7 has the advantage of being pocketable; and that you already own it. I think the LX100II has only a marginal advantage over it in terms of image quality (slightly higher resolution and better low light sensitivity). On the other hand the LX100II not really pocketable.

I own an LX100II, and IMHO its biggest advantage is that it encourages manual mode shooting (even more than a DSLR) with all the dials at your fingertip. So I'm taking better pictures simply because it forces me to think about the photo while I set up everything. However when you are traveling (especially with a family) spending a lot of time taking photos is not the first thing you want to do.

So to sum up:

  1. enjoy your trip and worry less about photography
  2. use the gear you have, know and enjoy using
  3. if you need more reach, buy a TZ(ZS)100
  4. the LX100II is not really a travel camera and has little advantage over the LX7.

Very well reasoned. Thanks for your feedback!

 eidetic_photog's gear list:eidetic_photog's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
kbarni Regular Member • Posts: 159
Re: Travel camera feedback (LX7 vs LX100 II vs Fuji X70)

123dy wrote:

Also on point 3, the TZ100 has been joined for well over a year by the TZ200. I don't know exactly what the price difference is, but seriously why would anyone buy an older obsolescent superseded model just to save a few dollars (or pounds or euros etc)?

Well, any TZ model (100, 200, 90 etc...) Just choose the one that fits you best. TBH I didn't use TZ cameras.

Here's my reasoning: I recently bought my new camera and I wanted a decent image quality in a more compact package than my DSLR. I was thinking about the TZ100/200 and the LX100. I preferred the TZ100 over the 200, because I thought that I'll be fine with its image quality, zoom range,for almost half of the price of the newer model. But finally I chose the LX100II because I preferred the manual control approach over the extended zoom range.

But it really depends on your style and needs.

 kbarni's gear list:kbarni's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D
OP eidetic_photog Regular Member • Posts: 103
Re: Travel camera feedback (LX7 vs LX100 II vs Fuji X70)

Escaping wrote:

Since you will be taking a Z6 with you to this trip, my suggestion is to take the LX7 with you, instead of the LX100 (either Mk1 or Mk2). The ability to carry with you the smaller and more pocket friendly LX7 while enjoying the pleasure of the vacation is the primary reason. The LX100 is not really a P&S to drop into your pocket. If photography is the focus of the moment, you would have the Z6 anyway. The LX7 complements the Z6 better.

I have quite a few P&S, including the LX3-LX5-LX7, the LX100, the ZS70, ZS100, Nikon Coolpix A (similar in size to the Fuji X70), Sony HX80. I also have a few different DSLR and MLC's. When I travel for a vacation I tend to find the combination of cameras that are complementary to cover the broad range of purposes. My user cases are for somewhat serious photography (like landscape or landmarks), environmental street photography, low light (evening and inside museums), to casual (when photography is secondary) like a good evening at a restaurant. There is no camera that covers every situation. My standard "set in the bag" is (1) an IQ camera with an all purpose lens such as a Nikon D7500 + 16-80, (2) UWA on a 2nd body (recently that is the Fuji 10-24 on the XT20), (3) an all purpose P&S (used to be the LX7, now the ZS100), plus a fast prime for low light (Fuji 35/1.4 or Nikon 35/1.8 DX) and a telephoto zoom for reach (70-300). I tend to bring along also a mini small flash that can bounce (SB400). I find that the flash and the telephoto were not taken out of the bag too often (the ZS100 telephoto reach is often enough) as I dont like change lenses. I enjoy to just capture the images at the moment.

This is a very interesting deep dive into a full travel kit, and it is good to hear your opinion as a another advanced P&S enthusiast.

 eidetic_photog's gear list:eidetic_photog's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
Gerry Siegel
Gerry Siegel Senior Member • Posts: 2,394
Re: Travel camera feedback (LX7 vs LX100 II vs Fuji X70)
2

Some discussions beg for a marginal comment or two. 1) Pocketable means no extra bother in carrying a photographic device. A phone or tablet will do but both have other more over riding functions. One stil cannot get a quart into a pint bottle. 2) A serious compact is not cheap because it has the features of a full size camera compressed into a smaller package with a fixed lens. To get the lens to be worthy of the total price means the total price will not be cheap. And the package will likely require a small bag to attach to the belt. ( Think of all those things women have to carry in a bag and feel blessed) 3) One can't optimize everything. A manufacturer who sells many models will offer a choice. So it is like a matchmaking proposition. You decide what is most important and set aside the secondary "wants." and Last : Everyone should have at least three or four cameras...What happened to the full blooded camera lovers in DPR. Have the smart phone lobbies driven them out of town? Respectfully, signed Helium filled Gasbaggers International.

PS. Someone will assert that traveling means that viewing scenery, washing underwear in a sink,  buying trinkets, and keeping a diary and chatting with interesting locals is more important than making a photographic record of that journey is more important.  i say for shame.  In five  years , what will be left of that cruise down the Danube.  Just sea stories of the hangovers and lost luggage... get it all on a hard drive. NOW.

 Gerry Siegel's gear list:Gerry Siegel's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Panasonic ZS100 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +3 more
OP eidetic_photog Regular Member • Posts: 103
Re: Travel camera feedback (LX7 vs LX100 II vs Fuji X70)
1

I hate to revive an old thread, but I wanted to thank everyone for their feedback and give you all my initial impressions on the LX100 II.

Spoiler alert, I did buy the LX100 II before my two week trip to the UK. I used it as my everyday travel camera on days where I did not carry my Z6.

My thoughts on the Z6 here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63186096

I carried the LX100 II in a Lowepro Dashpoint 20 camera bag. I wore it both on my belt and with the shoulder strap. I found that the shoulder strap was better.

A few thoughts in no particular order:

1) The jpegs OOTB from the LX100 II appear significantly better to me than the LX7 which I loved. The overall look of the images is very similar, but the increased detail is apparent.

2) The ergonomics and the abundance of external controls is fantastic WITH ONE EXCEPTION - the exposure compensation wheel. I understand why it does not have a button to prevent it from turning, but I wish that it either had one or had stronger "clicks" to prevent the wheel from being changed by accident. It took me far too long to realize that the exposure compensation had been adjusted, and it took me even longer to figure out that it was due to putting the camera into and taking it out of the case. I should have clued in quickly that the dark images on the display were not due to the brightness of the display nor to wearing sunglasses on bright days, but was due to the exposure compensation settings. Once I figured out what was happening, I made a habit to reset the dial each time I took the camera out of the bag. Perhaps a bigger bag would have prevented this, but I liked the fit of this bag.

3) I don't think I used the EVF once. The camera felt so much like my LX7 that it was perfectly natural to use the rear screen exclusively.

4) I love the different aspect ratios. There is something more inspirational about being able to change the aspect ratio at the time of capturing the image than figuring it out after the fact on a computer. I don't know if it leads to better composition or photos, but it is just plain fun.

5) Low light performance is significantly better than with the LX7, not surprisingly.

Here are a few of my favorite images from the trip either OOTB or with minor editing for brightness and contrast:

 eidetic_photog's gear list:eidetic_photog's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
Gerry Siegel
Gerry Siegel Senior Member • Posts: 2,394
Re: Travel camera feedback (LX7 vs LX100 II vs Fuji X70)
1

eidetic_photog wrote:

I hate to revive an old thread, but I wanted to thank everyone for their feedback and give you all my initial impressions on the LX100 II.

Spoiler alert, I did buy the LX100 II before my two week trip to the UK. I used it as my everyday travel camera on days where I did not carry my Z6.

My thoughts on the Z6 here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63186096

I carried the LX100 II in a Lowepro Dashpoint 20 camera bag. I wore it both on my belt and with the shoulder strap. I found that the shoulder strap was better.

A few thoughts in no particular order:

1) The jpegs OOTB from the LX100 II appear significantly better to me than the LX7 which I loved. The overall look of the images is very similar, but the increased detail is apparent.

2) The ergonomics and the abundance of external controls is fantastic WITH ONE EXCEPTION - the exposure compensation wheel. I understand why it does not have a button to prevent it from turning, but I wish that it either had one or had stronger "clicks" to prevent the wheel from being changed by accident. It took me far too long to realize that the exposure compensation had been adjusted, and it took me even longer to figure out that it was due to putting the camera into and taking it out of the case. I should have clued in quickly that the dark images on the display were not due to the brightness of the display nor to wearing sunglasses on bright days, but was due to the exposure compensation settings. Once I figured out what was happening, I made a habit to reset the dial each time I took the camera out of the bag. Perhaps a bigger bag would have prevented this, but I liked the fit of this bag.

3) I don't think I used the EVF once. The camera felt so much like my LX7 that it was perfectly natural to use the rear screen exclusively.

4) I love the different aspect ratios. There is something more inspirational about being able to change the aspect ratio at the time of capturing the image than figuring it out after the fact on a computer. I don't know if it leads to better composition or photos, but it is just plain fun.

5) Low light performance is significantly better than with the LX7, not surprisingly.

Here are a few of my favorite images from the trip either OOTB or with minor editing for brightness and contrast:

Look good to me.  I still plan to get one before my next trip which will be to Maui.  When and if I take my GX 8 and zoom lenses as well will depend on my mood.  Sounds like Panasonic made a winner and deserves some respect.  It is not inexpensive, so I will await the next promotion.  Settings can surprise one true.   I am a die hard eyeball EVF user, and I guess that habit means I like to isolate my attention if at all possible.  I have had a brief look at the EVF in store and it seems a big leap over my ZS 100 which is a fine critter as well...never too many cameras.  Too many bags, yes, but cameras are like a harem. One needs variety.. 

 Gerry Siegel's gear list:Gerry Siegel's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Panasonic ZS100 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +3 more
Cyril Catt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,919
Re: Travel camera feedback (LX7 vs LX100 II vs Fuji X70)

I use a ClearViewer attachment on my cameras without built in EVFs. They fold out to use the LCD screen as a virtual EVF, to allow eyelevel framing and cut out screen glare.

-- hide signature --

Cyril

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads