Travel camera feedback (LX7 vs LX100 II vs Fuji X70)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
eidetic_photog Regular Member • Posts: 103
Travel camera feedback (LX7 vs LX100 II vs Fuji X70)

My wife and I are headed to England and Scotland for two weeks in September, and while I will always have my iPhone Xs with me, I am trying to decide what "pocket" camera I should take if any. I will also be taking my Nikon Z6 for days that I intend to do a lot of shooting, but I do not feel like carrying it around everyday.

I currently own a Panasonic LX7 and a Fuji X70, and I have traveled with both. I can honestly say that I have been impressed and satisfied with the images from both. I even have printed a 24"x36" image on canvas from a CROP of a photo in Venice taken with my LX7 that everyone that comes to my house seems to love, but I am thinking about upgrading to the LX100 II for the additional resolution.

My question to any of the LX100 II users here is whether you think that it is a big enough step up from both the LX7 and X70. What other pros and cons can you think of compared to the other cameras I mentioned?

Thanks in advance.

eidetic_photog's gear list:eidetic_photog's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
Nikon Z6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic LX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 17,345
Re: Travel camera feedback (LX7 vs LX100 II vs Fuji X70)

eidetic_photog wrote:

My wife and I are headed to England and Scotland for two weeks in September, and while I will always have my iPhone Xs with me, I am trying to decide what "pocket" camera I should take if any. I will also be taking my Nikon Z6 for days that I intend to do a lot of shooting, but I do not feel like carrying it around everyday.

I currently own a Panasonic LX7 and a Fuji X70, and I have traveled with both. I can honestly say that I have been impressed and satisfied with the images from both. I even have printed a 24"x36" image on canvas from a CROP of a photo in Venice taken with my LX7 that everyone that comes to my house seems to love, but I am thinking about upgrading to the LX100 II for the additional resolution.

My question to any of the LX100 II users here is whether you think that it is a big enough step up from both the LX7 and X70. What other pros and cons can you think of compared to the other cameras I mentioned?

Thanks in advance.

Resolution is not a huge gain, if main reason for  moving up to the LX100.

I think it takes 4x the pixel count to double the resolution.

(20MP is twice as much as 5MP , not 4x, for instance. )

In lower light conditions the LX100II will be much better.

I owned the LX3 and LX7..but not the LX100/II.

ANAYV

OP eidetic_photog Regular Member • Posts: 103

ANAYV wrote:

eidetic_photog wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Resolution is not a huge gain, if main reason for moving up to the LX100.

I think it takes 4x the pixel count to double the resolution.

(20MP is twice as much as 5MP , not 4x, for instance. )

In lower light conditions the LX100II will be much better.

I owned the LX3 and LX7..but not the LX100/II.

ANAYV

That's a great point. The resolution of the LX100 II is not that far ahead of the LX7 (17MP vs 10.1MP) but its sensor is much bigger giving it better low light performance and dynamic range, Compared to the X70, it is trickier. The X70 has comparable resolution (16MP vs 17MP) with an even larger sensor. The downside to the X70 is the lack of a zoom lens since there are times when using your feet to get closer or farther is not practical or not possible.

I think that this is why the LX100 II is so attractive to me. It seems like the best of both of these cameras or at least a nice compromise between the two.

Nikon Z6 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
123dy Regular Member • Posts: 176

I bought an lx100 to replace my lx3. Apart from being much quicker, the biggest difference was that it had a viewfinder.

A year later i bought a ZS/TZ200, and that really did feel like a big step forward in terms of functionality and ease of use.

Lx100 mostly stays at home nowadays or comes along as a spare. For me the TZ200 is far superior as a travel cam.

123dy wrote:

I bought an lx100 to replace my lx3. Apart from being much quicker, the biggest difference was that it had a viewfinder.

A year later i bought a ZS/TZ200, and that really did feel like a big step forward in terms of functionality and ease of use.

Lx100 mostly stays at home nowadays or comes along as a spare. For me the TZ200 is far superior as a travel cam.

I had not thought of that camera. I will look into it. Thanks!

HPNAviator
HPNAviator Junior Member • Posts: 47

I use my D-Lux 7 as my travel camera. Was recently in Montreal, Toronto and Niagara Falls and it worked very well for me for both pictures and video. I plan to take on my next trip to Europe in a few weeks. Too me it is the right combination of size, weight and capability.

HPNAviator's gear list:HPNAviator's gear list
Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D300S Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 +5 more
snappyden Veteran Member • Posts: 3,918

eidetic_photog wrote:

Thanks in advance.

The LX7 is a quite capable camera.  I still take it as my backup camera every time we travel and its never let me down.  Here are a few B&W from Venice.

Have a great trip,

Den

snappyden's gear list:snappyden's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15
Gerry Siegel
Gerry Siegel Senior Member • Posts: 2,394

I really like the ZS 100 as a travel camera.  It is marvelously small for a full featured device..I have no quarrel with the resolution from a 1" sensor for any shooting I do, so far.... But I will soon, and before next trip,  get an LX 100 M2 after having handled it in  in the store. It has a real serious viewfinder that is so so much better than the smaller camera.

One cannot optimize everything, although twould be sweet if we could....these little guys are great for just toting around.  And they can yield serious fulfilling  images...So I found.

I do not know how your existing models do for EVF and I do not plan to research that...but any carry camera has to have a decent EVF for me henceforth.. Indoors no problem. iN sun, the ZS 100 is barely decent. ( I am led to believe the 200 model has only marginal improvement in that factor)

But then my eyes are not super eagle sharp. Maybe not pigeonsharp... If you can afford one, treat yourself. You can never own too many cameras, sir. Compare it to the costs entailed in travel..no better wait until the credit card bills, just kidding..

Tell them I said that is an axiom in this forum ....

Gerry Siegel's gear list:Gerry Siegel's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Panasonic ZS100 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +3 more

snappyden wrote:

eidetic_photog wrote:

Thanks in advance.

The LX7 is a quite capable camera. I still take it as my backup camera every time we travel and its never let me down. Here are a few B&W from Venice.

Have a great trip,

Den

Love the photos!

I agree that the LX7 is a great and very capable camera. I love the different aspect ratios and manual controls.

Thanks for your input. I will put you in the "take the LX7" category.

Gerry Siegel wrote:

I really like the ZS 100 as a travel camera. It is marvelously small for a full featured device..I have no quarrel with the resolution from a 1" sensor for any shooting I do, so far.... But I will soon, and before next trip, get an LX 100 M2 after having handled it in in the store. It has a real serious viewfinder that is so so much better than the smaller camera.

One cannot optimize everything, although twould be sweet if we could....these little guys are great for just toting around. And they can yield serious fulfilling images...So I found.

I do not know how your existing models do for EVF and I do not plan to research that...but any carry camera has to have a decent EVF for me henceforth.. Indoors no problem. iN sun, the ZS 100 is barely decent. ( I am led to believe the 200 model has only marginal improvement in that factor)

But then my eyes are not super eagle sharp. Maybe not pigeonsharp... If you can afford one, treat yourself. You can never own too many cameras, sir. Compare it to the costs entailed in travel..no better wait until the credit card bills, just kidding..

Tell them I said that is an axiom in this forum ....

The advantages of the viewfinder is an interesting point I had not considered. My vision is not great, and I often have troubles seeing the LCD screens even in good conditions. I also sometimes preview an image on the LCD and later discover that the focus, etc. was not as good as I had thought at the time.

My Z6 has shown me that a really good EVF is very helpful, and I can see the preview image much better with my one good eye (my right eye is useless from Keratoconus).

Thanks, again. This is an excellent point. And, as you say, you can never have too many cameras.

Here is the photo from Venice that we printed at 24" x 36". This is not the final version. This was simply cropped. I adjusted the colors and contrast a little and rotated it to level before printing, but I cannot find that version right now.

edhume
edhume Contributing Member • Posts: 799

I use my LX7 in low-light situations and times when I can carry it (see https://camerasize.com/). I find I carry my LF1 because it is a true pocket camera and has a moderate zoom (I would say the LX7 has only a mild zoom).  Neither camera is made now. But, the LX 10 and the LX100 II are nice replacements for the LX7. However, you really need a tele for touristing, IMO, and the LX7 is not enough.

edhume's gear list:edhume's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 DxO Optics Pro Elite Silkypix Developer Studio Pro Corel Aftershot Pro +8 more
snappyden Veteran Member • Posts: 3,918

eidetic_photog wrote:

Here is the photo from Venice that we printed at 24" x 36". This is not the final version. This was simply cropped. I adjusted the colors and contrast a little and rotated it to level before printing, but I cannot find that version right now.

Funny, how everyone takes that shot!

Den

snappyden's gear list:snappyden's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15
akluiber Regular Member • Posts: 102

edhume wrote:

However, you really need a tele for touristing, IMO, and the LX7 is not enough.

Interesting you say that. I guess it depends on the location, type of travel and/or your type of shooting. Probably all of the above.

It got me wondering so I looked and I found that when I went to Paris and the Benelux countries a few years ago, I rarely used the long end of the 18-135 I had on my Pentax DSLR at the time (~120 of 5000 photos). My wife and are traveling to Bavaria and Bohemia his Fall, so I’ve opted for the LX100ii this time around for a more compact package. I don’t think I’ll desperately miss the long end of the zoom on this trip. Incidentally my wife has the ZS100, so I suppose we have it covered if I do.

joecan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,980

I do have both cameras. The LX7 is a great camera, with the tilting  EVF is still a good value making really nice photographs.

The LX100 mk 2 is a step higher. The images are just better, and the videos are fantastic.

I did try the iZoom, and is fine to 150 mm equivalent .  It is also one more thing to consider : uploading in iPad or laptop via WiFi. It is in todays world for some people a plus.

Joe

joecan's gear list:joecan's gear list
Sony RX10 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D700 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +3 more
Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 4,454

I have the LX100 MKI.

I really the LX100 MKI for its hands-on operation. However I would not consider the LX100 a "pocketable" compact; in fact I find it too bulky (overall body/ lens depth) to comfortably carry in a belt-type case.

Also for myself I find the 75mm EFL too short for travel, hence I got the ZS100 to complement the LX100 as the ZS100 is pocketable and can be carried in a belt-type case, and the ZS100 uses the same battery as the LX100.

CameraSize.com

If you truly want a "pocketable" travel compact, IMHO its hard to beat the RX100 VI with its f/2.8-4.5 24-200mm EFL if you don't mind the $1,198.00 price.
DPR RX100 VI Review HERE.

Below a screen-shot of the DPR Studio Scene Comparison Tool HERE:

You can easily do you own quick comparisons.

The ZS100 probably the current best 'bang-for-the-buck', but IMHO to get optimum IQ need to shoot RAW.
DPR ZS100 Review HERE.
Imaging-Resource.com ZS100 Review HERE. Has a lot of JPG/ RAW images.

Right now you can get the ZS100 with the Panasonic DMW-BLG10 Li-Ion Battery & Charger Travel Bundle from B&H Photo for $497.99 (includes free shipping) HERE .

ZS100 —— LX100 II

Cheers,
Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS 6D Canon 6D Mark II +18 more
rolandb
rolandb Senior Member • Posts: 2,813

snappyden wrote:

eidetic_photog wrote:

Den

I've never taken it Den Although I'd love to go and try,,

Roland.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rolandb52/

"" I'm a snap-shooter! I shoot anything that interest me. Sometimes, I get lucky and some of my snap-shots turn into a photograph.""

rolandb's gear list:rolandb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Olympus TG-5
edhume
edhume Contributing Member • Posts: 799

akluiber wrote:

edhume wrote:

Interesting you say that. I guess it depends on the location, type of travel and/or your type of shooting. Probably all of the above.

It got me wondering so I looked and I found that when I went to Paris and the Benelux countries a few years ago, I rarely used the long end of the 18-135 I had on my Pentax DSLR at the time (~120 of 5000 photos). My wife and are traveling to Bavaria and Bohemia his Fall, so I’ve opted for the LX100ii this time around for a more compact package. I don’t think I’ll desperately miss the long end of the zoom on this trip. Incidentally my wife has the ZS100, so I suppose we have it covered if I do.

Do the camera size compare (https://camerasize.com/0. The LX100 II is much thicker than the LX7.

edhume's gear list:edhume's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 DxO Optics Pro Elite Silkypix Developer Studio Pro Corel Aftershot Pro +8 more

snappyden wrote:

eidetic_photog wrote:

Den

It is such a great location. I am envious of the clear day you had. It was cloudy and hazy most of the time we were there.

edhume wrote:

akluiber wrote:

edhume wrote:

Do the camera size compare (https://camerasize.com/0. The LX100 II is much thicker than the LX7.

The LX100 II is significantly thicker than the LX7, but I never found the LX7 to be a truly pocketable camera. I usually carry mine in a case on my belt.

I appreciate your comment about the telephoto being kind of short, but that rarely bothered me on my LX7.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads