Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 11,172
Ich musste lächeln

Mackiesback wrote:

You asked Sony? when the word NIKON was printed boldly across the body?

[I had to smile]

<smile>

OP raymondg Contributing Member • Posts: 848
Re: Actually, Yes. I did not take a lot of notice ...

when it was handed to me and I still can't recall seeing the NIKON logo on it at all. It was handed to me back first. I did look at the lens though and saw the 24-70 markings.

-- hide signature --

======================
Warmest Regards - Ray
http://www.pbase.com/raymondg/galleries
http://www.500px.com/raymondg
http://www.1x.com/member/raymondg
“We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”
- Roald Dahl

raymondg's gear list:raymondg's gear list
Kodak DCS420 Nikon D1H Nikon D3 Nikon D3X Nikon D800E +16 more
Franglais91 Contributing Member • Posts: 958
People are usually delighted with the Z6

raymondg wrote:

So here I was at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin taking some photos with my D810 and 14-24. A guy walks up to me and hands me a camera and gestures for me to take a photo of he and his wife in front of the gate. I put the camera to my eye and immediately see that it is a mirrorless camera. Face detection was enabled so I frame and take a couple of shots.

I hand the camera back and ask; "SONY" and the reply (in German) "Nien; NIKON" I am stunned as I didn't expect that. "NIKON Z7 mit 24-70" was the next response.

So I compared the size of the two side by side and there is a noticeable difference. It did feel quite good in my hands and the controls felt familiar. However I was less that enamoured by the EVF.

This was the first time I have had the Z7 in my hands and maybe I need to spend more time with it but at the moment, my DSLR is still my preferred option.

I Don't know anyone who has switched from Nikon DSLR to the Z7. However I do know quite a few people who have switched to the Z6 and they are all delighted with it. The reasons vary:

- much better high ISO noise (ex-users of D700)

- much better auto-focus (ex-users of D600)

- much better video (ex-user of a D850)

The Z6 is identical to the Z7 apart from the sensor but it costs about half the price. If you're feeling tempted..

-- hide signature --
 Franglais91's gear list:Franglais91's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +16 more
BGD300V1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,757
Yeah, yeah, and besides that

raymondg wrote:

when it was handed to me and I still can't recall seeing the NIKON logo on it at all. It was handed to me back first. I did look at the lens though and saw the 24-70 markings.

it was written in German

-- hide signature --
 BGD300V1's gear list:BGD300V1's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon D500 +13 more
Could have been worse ...

BGD300V1 wrote:

raymondg wrote:

it was written in German

..It might have been written in Japanese!

BGD300V1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,757
Re: Could have been worse ...

David Lal wrote:

BGD300V1 wrote:

raymondg wrote:

it was written in German

..It might have been written in Japanese!

Aha, a grey market import.  That's a sure sign.

-- hide signature --
 BGD300V1's gear list:BGD300V1's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon D500 +13 more
lightandaprayer Senior Member • Posts: 3,168
Re: Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

In praise of crappy hardware. . .

A real eye-opener for me. . . I value Ming's perspective when it comes to photo gear as he is the antithesis of your typical photo gearhead.  His images are proof that it's the photographer behind the viewfinder that really matters.

Total cost for the camera/kit lens: around $300 via eBay.

This option is a step-up for not much more money:

Review: The Nikon D5500 (or, a solution to the compact 50-e problem)

My basic travel kit is a D200 with 2 zooms (DX/FX) covering 12-70mm (18-105mm FX equivalent) with a flash. Everything fits in a small fanny pack.  Small, light and inexpensive.  And if something should happen to my gear it isn't the end of the world.

Happy Trails to you. . .

bjn70 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,513
Re: Update: An unexpected opportunity.

There is a lot more difference than just size and weight but the first step is to get hands on and use one a bit.  I wonder how many people writing about them on this forum, both good and bad, have ever even held one.

calson Veteran Member • Posts: 9,866

A number of ways to save weight with a FX camera based kit. The Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5G lens with the 28-300mm f/5.6 lens makes for a very good kit and not a great deal of weight or bulk.

Beyond that the trick is to go to a 4/3 camera and lenses where f/2.8 constant aperture lenses weigh half of what their full frame counterparts weigh and are less than half the size.

-- hide signature --

"Today's public figures can no longer write their own speeches or books, and there is some evidence that they can't read them either." - Gore Vidal

windsprite
windsprite Senior Member • Posts: 2,707

calson wrote:

A number of ways to save weight with a FX camera based kit. The Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5G lens with the 28-300mm f/5.6 lens makes for a very good kit and not a great deal of weight or bulk.

Beyond that the trick is to go to a 4/3 camera and lenses where f/2.8 constant aperture lenses weigh half of what their full frame counterparts weigh and are less than half the size.

I also have both 4/3 and FX gear. Also a constant f/2.8 Panasonic FZ200. "f/2.8" is meaningless when comparing across formats.

Julie

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +45 more
mattspace
mattspace Regular Member • Posts: 390
Re: Update: An unexpected opportunity.

raymondg wrote:

So here I was at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin taking some photos with my D810 and 14-24. A guy walks up to me and hands me a camera and gestures for me to take a photo of he and his wife in front of the gate. I put the camera to my eye and immediately see that it is a mirrorless camera. Face detection was enabled so I frame and take a couple of shots.

This was the first time I have had the Z7 in my hands and maybe I need to spend more time with it but at the moment, my DSLR is still my preferred option.

I was in the same position, currently gearing up to travel to Japan, and also looked at the Z7, which I didn't like (EVF heat builup, and low framerate seasickness). Eventually decided to stay with my D800 &14-24, but to upgrade my tripod to lose 400gm, and get a better camerabag with a significantly better harness & waistbelt (mindshift firstlight).

I'm making some low-profile custom camera plates that should allow me to have the camera hung on a blackrapid strap under the backpack, so I can take the bag off / on without removing my camera, but which also allows a peak design capture clip plate to be attached while the blackrapid is still connected. So I can have the capture clip on my pack's waiststrap, and my camera holstered there, with no weight on my shoulders while walking around, but then unclip, and the blackrapid is still connected to shoot. Also the Peak Design plate is ARCA, so it works in my tripod as well.

-- hide signature --
 mattspace's gear list:mattspace's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +6 more
perrrob
perrrob Junior Member • Posts: 48

pekored wrote:

I realize this is not what you will want to hear, but if you don’t mind I will contribute an opinion. In the film days, I was a prime guy with Nikon ... and all the fastest versions of lenses: 105, 50, 35, and 24. At one time, I even had a Panasonic m4/3 to save space and weight. It sits in the cupboard and I refuse to use it as I have so much fun with my new camera. I am no spring chicken at 66 years of age.

My current gear? Just a Nikon D500 (upgraded from the D300) and one zoom lens: 16-80mm DX. This lens is tack sharp and covers a focal range that never leaves me wanting something else. I have thought about a 70-200mm but when I give it serious consideration ... I just do not have a high enough need at the high end. Again, this is for the photos I take.

I recently returned from a cruise of Italy, Greece and Malta (some photos in the link below). While not full frame, the D500 and one lens did it all. I created a ‘gallery’ wall of metal prints that sure give me a lot of pleasure.

You can never say ‘never’, but that combo could see me to my end. If I had the cash, I know I could travel the world with it, ha, ha.

All the best to you in any choice you make and it will work!

Regards, Peter

I concur, I used to travel with a lot of gear but now at 60 years old I much prefer a smaller and lighter kit. I enjoy my vacation a lot more this way.

These days, my travel kit is a Nikon D7100 (APS-C) with a 16-85mm DX zoom and a light 35mm f/1.8G DX prime (for low light and shallow DOF situations).

I rarely need a longer lens than 85mm (128 FF equiv.) and, for me, it's not worth carrying a heavy zoom during a whole week just for one or two pictures.

A few years ago, I briefly considered going to full frame DSLR's because of their advantages (ie. low light capabilities, DOF, etc) but decided against it because of the size and weight issues.

PS: I wish Nikon would sell a small and light 24mm DX (35mm FF equiv.) as I just love that focal length for street photography.

perrrob's gear list:perrrob's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
perrrob
Re: I think your weights are wrong

michaeladawson wrote:

Just read your post now. I posted the exact same thing further down The OP must be considering bringing 4 or 5 extra batteries, which I think is unnecessary.

Having read a few of the other posts however, I agree with some other thoughts as well. After years of traveling and hauling camera gear I stopped and thought about what I came home with. I rarely changed lenses. It was too much of a pain in the rear, especially traveling with a companion who gets tired of stopping and waiting.

I would bring wide, normal, and tele zooms. I would get home and find that 90% of my shots were taken at 24mm or longer and often times the tele zoom never came out of the bag. I often travel now with only the 24-120. Sometimes I pack a wide angle zoom or wide prime for the trip but it often stays in the hotel room when I go out for the day.

So lightening the travel kit doesn't necessarily mean switching to mirrorless.

^ This

Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
D750 and DX 16-85mm?

perrrob wrote:

A few years ago, I briefly considered going to full frame DSLR's because of their advantages (ie. low light capabilities, DOF, etc) but decided against it because of the size and weight issues.

Well, I was motivated into getting myself a D750 and I really enjoy it, especially because of its phenomenal low light capability. It is in fact lighter than my DX D300. Sometimes I mount my Nik 16-85mm on the D750 (in DX crop mode). It works really well.

perrrob
Re: D750 and DX 16-85mm?

David Lal wrote:

Well, I was motivated into getting myself a D750 and I really enjoy it, especially because of its phenomenal low light capability. It is in fact lighter than my DX D300. Sometimes I mount my Nik 16-85mm on the D750 (in DX crop mode). It works really well.

Hmmm ... never considered that option. Thanks for the head's up!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads