Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Dismayed Contributing Member • Posts: 672
Re: Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

Ditch the zooms and carry a few small prime lenses.

-- hide signature --

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

 Dismayed's gear list:Dismayed's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +1 more
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 11,068
Also ...
1

Dismayed wrote:

Ditch the zooms and carry a few small prime lenses.

A 23" monitor to check picture quality, diesel generator to power the monitor, two tripods in case one breaks, some reflectors and flash umbrellas?

michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 13,387
Re: Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.
2

I don't mean to quibble about the weight calculations, but my data sources indicate

  • Z7 is 415 g lighter than a D800E
  • 14-30 is 515 g lighter than the 14-24
  • 24-70 is 210 g lighter than the 24-120
  • The FTZ adapter will add 165 g
  • Batteries are 80 g each

Did I miss any equipment here?

So before taking batteries into account the Z7 kit is 975 g lighter than the D800E.  That is over 2 pounds.

So on to batteries.  How many extra batteries do you need?  To get down to your 600g difference you would need to be traveling with 4 extra batteries over what you carry for you DSLR.  Is your purpose to get through an entire vacation without recharging?  Or do you recharge at the end of the day?  The Z7 battery life is not that bad.  How many shots do you take in one day?

Having quibbled now   I would agree with the general premise that buying into the mirrorless option is an expensive proposition simply for 2 pounds of weight savings.  I use both DSLR and mirrorless and weight was the last thing on my list of reasons for buying a Z7.  It's an advantage, just not high on my list.

Also, don't dismiss bulk.  While perhaps not hugely lighter, the mirrorless package will fit in a smaller bag.

But if I were you I would probably stick with the D800E and see about changing your lens sections.  Buy into the Z line only if you really want to start shooting mirrorless.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

 michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon D7200 +30 more
bjn70 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,444
Re: Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.
2

If 2 pounds is significant a person could change their food for a week and lose that much or more, at no cost.

michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 13,387
Re: I think your weights are wrong
3

Just read your post now.  I posted the exact same thing further down The OP must be considering bringing 4 or 5 extra batteries, which I think is unnecessary.

Having read a few of the other posts however, I agree with some other thoughts as well.  After years of traveling and hauling camera gear I stopped and thought about what I came home with.  I rarely changed lenses.  It was too much of a pain in the rear, especially traveling with a companion who gets tired of stopping and waiting.

I would bring wide, normal, and tele zooms.  I would get home and find that 90% of my shots were taken at 24mm or longer and often times the tele zoom never came out of the bag.  I often travel now with only the 24-120.  Sometimes I pack a wide angle zoom or wide prime for the trip but it often stays in the hotel room when I go out for the day.

So lightening the travel kit doesn't necessarily mean switching to mirrorless.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

 michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon D7200 +30 more
Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 6,816
Re: Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.
3

bjn70 wrote:

If 2 pounds is significant a person could change their food for a week and lose that much or more, at no cost.

If the two pounds was hanging around my neck on a strap I would do just that.

My Z6 and 24/70 is exponentially more enjoyable to carry all day than my 810 24/70 was.

 Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D100 Nikon Df Nikon D50 Nikon Z6 +17 more
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 32,040
Re: I think your weights are wrong

michaeladawson wrote:

Just read your post now. I posted the exact same thing further down The OP must be considering bringing 4 or 5 extra batteries, which I think is unnecessary.

Having read a few of the other posts however, I agree with some other thoughts as well. After years of traveling and hauling camera gear I stopped and thought about what I came home with. I rarely changed lenses. It was too much of a pain in the rear, especially traveling with a companion who gets tired of stopping and waiting.

I would bring wide, normal, and tele zooms. I would get home and find that 90% of my shots were taken at 24mm or longer and often times the tele zoom never came out of the bag. I often travel now with only the 24-120. Sometimes I pack a wide angle zoom or wide prime for the trip but it often stays in the hotel room when I go out for the day.

So lightening the travel kit doesn't necessarily mean switching to mirrorless.

Agreed, but it obviously it depends on what you are doing, what kit you are taking and what you are prepared to sacrifice. I would still rather the Z7 + 24-70 f4S or Z7 + 24-70 f2.8S than my larger and heavier D850 + 24-70 f2.8E VR.

D850 = 915gms

24-70 f2.8E VR = 1070gms

Total = 1985gms

Z6/7 = 585gms

24-70 f2.8 = 805gms

Total = 1390gms.

Saving = 595gms

Is it a saving? Well, it is still over half a kg and much smaller physically.

Or

24-70 f4S = 500gms

Z7 + 24-70 f4S = 1085gms

Saving = 900gms.

Almost 1kg saving. This can be quite a bit if you really want to go light and small.

The other thing is the unobtrusiveness of the Z system.

What ever the case, I decided that the smaller system was worth it and the future is probably going to be ML anyway so, why not get in early and get it now and save the weight and size now. Now that I have, I am supremely happy. Others can make up their own mind as to what compromises they endure.

The thing is, I just wanted to make sure the weights posted here were correct.

 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR +16 more
bjn70 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,444
Re: I think your weights are wrong

I would bring wide, normal, and tele zooms. I would get home and find that 90% of my shots were taken at 24mm or longer and often times the tele zoom never came out of the bag.

My most recent trips have been with 2 bodies so I would be ready with a wider range of focal lengths.  This does add some weight though.

toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 12,798
Re: Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.
8

Dismayed wrote:

Ditch the zooms and carry a few small prime lenses.

No No, a thousand times No.  Just carry one small zoom that covers the primes' focal lengths.

Dismayed Contributing Member • Posts: 672
Re: Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

toomanycanons wrote:

Dismayed wrote:

Ditch the zooms and carry a few small prime lenses.

No No, a thousand times No. Just carry one small zoom that covers the primes' focal lengths.

I disagree.

-- hide signature --

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

 Dismayed's gear list:Dismayed's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +1 more
Ronan_M
Ronan_M Senior Member • Posts: 1,526
Re: Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

Dismayed wrote:

toomanycanons wrote:

Dismayed wrote:

Ditch the zooms and carry a few small prime lenses.

No No, a thousand times No. Just carry one small zoom that covers the primes' focal lengths.

I disagree.

Because....?

calson Veteran Member • Posts: 9,791
Re: Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.
3

Dismayed wrote:

Ditch the zooms and carry a few small prime lenses.

How will carrying around a 24mm, 35mm, 85mm, and 105mm set of primes save weight as compared to carrying the Sigma 24-105mm f/4 IS lens?

I have macro primes and super telephoto primes and a DC prime and a fisheye prime and several tilt-shift prime lenses that provide functionality not available in my zoom lenses.

Simply going to ordinary prime lenses would accomplish nothing other than necessitating more lens changes and more dirt inside the camera and more time spent cleaning the sensor in hotel rooms.

-- hide signature --

"The Puritans left England for America not because they couldn't be Puritans in their mother country, but because they were not allowed to force others to become Puritans; in the New World, of course, they could and did." - Gore Vidal

michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 13,387
Re: Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

calson wrote:

Dismayed wrote:

Ditch the zooms and carry a few small prime lenses.

How will carrying around a 24mm, 35mm, 85mm, and 105mm set of primes save weight as compared to carrying the Sigma 24-105mm f/4 IS lens?

I have macro primes and super telephoto primes and a DC prime and a fisheye prime and several tilt-shift prime lenses that provide functionality not available in my zoom lenses.

Simply going to ordinary prime lenses would accomplish nothing other than necessitating more lens changes and more dirt inside the camera and more time spent cleaning the sensor in hotel rooms.

Don't forget the camera bag you need to carry around to hold those primes. 

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

 michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon D7200 +30 more
OP raymondg Contributing Member • Posts: 843
Re: Here is the final decision...
1

My final selection is the D800E, 24-120 F4 VR, 14-24 F2.8 and 70-200 F4 VR, spare battery and bits and bobs in a Lowepro Pro Runner 350AW . All up, just under the carry-on limit of 7kg. For general walking around; an original Lowepro passport sling, BlackRapid strap (yes I know, but I have used this since 2012 with no problems HOWEVER I also use a small security strap as well just-in-case), 14-24 F2.8 with the D800E and 24-120 F4 on the strap.

I have used this combination on many trips to may countries over the past 7 years and apart from adding a TC17E II (not this time) for extra reach in Alaska, this has been my 'goto' setup.

I have read every response on this thread and considered every comment. My current level of thinking is that if I did decide to make a change and spend some money it would not be a (any) FF ML. I would probably go micro four thirds for travel and medium format for portraits and landscapes. If i was going to change I want to see some realistic advantage.

Until that time I am very happy with my current arrangement.

Thanks to all who responded.

-- hide signature --

======================
Warmest Regards - Ray
http://www.pbase.com/raymondg/galleries
http://www.500px.com/raymondg
http://www.1x.com/member/raymondg
“We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”
- Roald Dahl

 raymondg's gear list:raymondg's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D3 Nikon D3X Nikon D810 Nikon D1H +16 more
starbase218 Regular Member • Posts: 480
Re: Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

Maybe this has already been suggested. But if your goal is to save weight, why not get a 24-85/3.5-4.5 G VR instead of the 24-120? You already have overlapping range with your 70-200. And if you sold the 24-120 you probably wouldn’t lose any money.

 starbase218's gear list:starbase218's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +4 more
Dismayed Contributing Member • Posts: 672
Re: Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

High-quality prime lenses are lighter, less complex, and usually lower cost than zoom lenses.  Often a stop faster, too.  And a camera with a small prime seems a bit lees obtrusive.

-- hide signature --

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

 Dismayed's gear list:Dismayed's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +1 more
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 12,798
OK, so your original kit is just fine after all
2

raymondg wrote:

My final selection is the D800E, 24-120 F4 VR, 14-24 F2.8 and 70-200 F4 VR, spare battery and bits and bobs in a Lowepro Pro Runner 350AW . All up, just under the carry-on limit of 7kg. For general walking around; an original Lowepro passport sling, BlackRapid strap (yes I know, but I have used this since 2012 with no problems HOWEVER I also use a small security strap as well just-in-case), 14-24 F2.8 with the D800E and 24-120 F4 on the strap.

I have used this combination on many trips to may countries over the past 7 years and apart from adding a TC17E II (not this time) for extra reach in Alaska, this has been my 'goto' setup.

I have read every response on this thread and considered every comment. My current level of thinking is that if I did decide to make a change and spend some money it would not be a (any) FF ML. I would probably go micro four thirds for travel and medium format for portraits and landscapes. If i was going to change I want to see some realistic advantage.

Until that time I am very happy with my current arrangement.

Thanks to all who responded.

Glad we all could go on and on with suggestions when, in reality, you had no intention of changing anything.   You should have stressed that fact with your first post.

OP raymondg Contributing Member • Posts: 843
Re: On the contrary, I was quite prepared to change but...
1

Just could not see any great benefit from spending money to achieve very little benefit. If you reread my original post, the only item I originally considered changing was the 14-24F2.8 but options were limited; so I then looked at what ML could offer, and that was very little.

Please accept that this was a bone fide investigation into where I may go next with my travel gear, but the outcome will be based on quantum benefits not fashion (latest and greatest) or perceived value

As I said in my previous post, I read all the responses and weighed up the options before coming to my final conclusion. I was thankful for all those that posted and there was a fantastic range of ideas and alternatives. That alone was worth the post.

-- hide signature --

======================
Warmest Regards - Ray
http://www.pbase.com/raymondg/galleries
http://www.500px.com/raymondg
http://www.1x.com/member/raymondg
“We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”
- Roald Dahl

 raymondg's gear list:raymondg's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D3 Nikon D3X Nikon D810 Nikon D1H +16 more
OP raymondg Contributing Member • Posts: 843
Re: Update: An unexpected opportunity.

So here I was at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin taking some photos with my D810 and 14-24. A guy walks up to me and hands me a camera and gestures for me to take a photo of he and his wife in front of the gate. I put the camera to my eye and immediately see that it is a mirrorless camera. Face detection was enabled so I frame and take a couple of shots.

I hand the camera back and ask; "SONY" and the reply (in German) "Nien; NIKON" I am stunned as I didn't expect that. "NIKON Z7 mit 24-70" was the next response.

So I compared the size of the two side by side and there is a noticeable difference. It did feel quite good in my hands and the controls felt familiar. However I was less that enamoured by the EVF.

This was the first time I have had the Z7 in my hands and maybe I need to spend more time with it but at the moment, my DSLR is still my preferred option.

-- hide signature --

======================
Warmest Regards - Ray
http://www.pbase.com/raymondg/galleries
http://www.500px.com/raymondg
http://www.1x.com/member/raymondg
“We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”
- Roald Dahl

 raymondg's gear list:raymondg's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D3 Nikon D3X Nikon D810 Nikon D1H +16 more
Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 6,816
Re: Update: An unexpected opportunity.
1

raymondg wrote:

So here I was at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin taking some photos with my D810 and 14-24. A guy walks up to me and hands me a camera and gestures for me to take a photo of he and his wife in front of the gate. I put the camera to my eye and immediately see that it is a mirrorless camera. Face detection was enabled so I frame and take a couple of shots.

I hand the camera back and ask; "SONY" and the reply (in German) "Nien; NIKON" I am stunned as I didn't expect that. "NIKON Z7 mit 24-70" was the next response.

So I compared the size of the two side by side and there is a noticeable difference. It did feel quite good in my hands and the controls felt familiar. However I was less that enamoured by the EVF.

This was the first time I have had the Z7 in my hands and maybe I need to spend more time with it but at the moment, my DSLR is still my preferred option.

You asked Sony? when the word NIKON was printed boldly across the body?

 Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D100 Nikon Df Nikon D50 Nikon Z6 +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads