Sony/Minolta shoe adapter

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
TonyNC
TonyNC Regular Member • Posts: 210
Sony/Minolta shoe adapter

I'm trying to locate an adapter from the Sony/Minolta show to the MIS shoe that retains full TTL communication. Trying to use Godox 860 on an A77. The shoe I have works for connection, but has no TTL, only manual flash control. Any help is appreciatd - TIA!

TonyNC's gear list:TonyNC's gear list
Sony FE 35mm F2.8
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
toughluck Veteran Member • Posts: 3,374
Re: Sony/Minolta shoe adapter

TonyNC wrote:

I'm trying to locate an adapter from the Sony/Minolta show to the MIS shoe that retains full TTL communication. Trying to use Godox 860 on an A77. The shoe I have works for connection, but has no TTL, only manual flash control. Any help is appreciatd - TIA!

Look for Sony ADP-AMA or something similar. Make sure to check that there are connectors visible underneath the front lip of the MIS hot shoe.

toughluck's gear list:toughluck's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 35mm F1.4 G Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* +5 more
EXX Contributing Member • Posts: 987

Don't mess around, get the original Sony ADP-AMA.

I use it on my Sony A55 and even on my ancient Konica-Minolta DiMAGE A2, to operate a Nissin Di700A flash in TTL mode. Works perfectly.

EXX's gear list:EXX's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Sony SLT-A55 Sony a77 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +19 more
TonyNC
OP TonyNC Regular Member • Posts: 210

Thanks for your replies but nope...The ADP-AMA won't do it. With the Godox it will fire but not in TTL. Firing flash with remote gets a weak, pre-flash style flash in TTL. It works only with Manual flash control.

There is a Vello version of the ADPAMA - has anyone tried that?

THX

Sony FE 35mm F2.8
SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 7,580

TonyNC wrote:

Thanks for your replies but nope...The ADP-AMA won't do it. With the Godox it will fire but not in TTL. Firing flash with remote gets a weak, pre-flash style flash in TTL. It works only with Manual flash control.

THX

I have the Sony version that I use with an HVL-F20M on an A900, Maxxum 7, and 7D, and it supports wireless, TTL, and even HSS of remote Minolta flashes.

Sounds like a Godox problem, not an adapter problem.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Nikon D200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 +16 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 13,441

TonyNC wrote:

Trying to use Godox 860 on an A77 ... The ADP-AMA won't do it. With the Godox it will fire but not in TTL. Firing flash with remote gets a weak, pre-flash style flash in TTL. It works only with Manual flash control.

If the Sony adapter won't work with your specific setup, the Vello won't either.

TonyNC
OP TonyNC Regular Member • Posts: 210

I'm starting to feel that way but for $18 I'm willing to give it a shot. Looking for any possible Godox FW soluton, too. Thanks for all your replies/

Sony FE 35mm F2.8
Massao Senior Member • Posts: 1,372

TonyNC wrote:

Search Ebay for the brand "pixel" They are cheaper than Sony's and work perfectly. I have two of those for my use

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony SLT-A37 Pentax K-30 Sony SLT-A58 A3000 +44 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 43,187

TonyNC wrote:

THX

Sounds like the problem is with your Godox flash so you might be out of luck.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
EXX Contributing Member • Posts: 987

If with the original Sony ADP-AMA adapter, it does not work, then end of story. It is most probably a Godox problem.

Recently,  I bought a Meike MK-320 flash. On the A77II, it works in TTL. On the A55 + ADP-AMA adapter, TTL did not work. There was a pre flash, but no proper flash during exposure, resulting in a dark photo. Tried instead a Nissin Di700A flash on TTL: worked fine.  So I concluded that it was a flash problem an returned the flash.

EXX's gear list:EXX's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Sony SLT-A55 Sony a77 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads