dead zone

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Dave
Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 4,670
Re: dead zone

shuutrr wrote:

Apparently DSLRs will be following a similar path as carburetor V-8s, you love-um, fun to use, but they just aren't happening anymore..... recreational users are suffering melancholy, DSLRs are such marvels of design, engineering, and manufacturing....mirror less seem a little lifeless in comparison....

shuutrr

The carbureted V-8 is an apt analogy.  I would argue that that was the film SLR, while the digital SLF is the fuel-injected V-8.  Parallels can be drawn between GM's excellent "small-block" V-8 and any major camera brand's SLRs.  Adjacent timelines will show the trend of advancements and refinement.

Transmissions are similar.  Remember the manual?  I'd like another car with one, and I appreciate the ability to focus manually.  When I started with photography autofocus was still in the future.  Now it's de rigueur.

I can imagine a number of improvements that will enhance my shooting.  Of course they also can be applied to mirrorless cameras, so making them there - and only there - is probably the sensible thing to do business-wise.

Someday mirrorless for me?  Sure, though I'll keep shooting with what I already have until it wears out or no longer suits my needs.  By the time I make the jump (years away) mirrorless will have solved the EVF lag and, hopefully, will allow me to shoot while wearing my polarized sunglasses.

Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon PowerShot S20 Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS 80D +7 more
shuutrr Regular Member • Posts: 349

Dave wrote:

shuutrr wrote:

Apparently DSLRs will be following a similar path as carburetor V-8s, you love-um, fun to use, but they just aren't happening anymore..... recreational users are suffering melancholy, DSLRs are such marvels of design, engineering, and manufacturing....mirror less seem a little lifeless in comparison....

shuutrr

The carbureted V-8 is an apt analogy. I would argue that that was the film SLR, while the digital SLF is the fuel-injected V-8. Parallels can be drawn between GM's excellent "small-block" V-8 and any major camera brand's SLRs. Adjacent timelines will show the trend of advancements and refinement.

Transmissions are similar. Remember the manual? I'd like another car with one, and I appreciate the ability to focus manually. When I started with photography autofocus was still in the future. Now it's de rigueur.

I can imagine a number of improvements that will enhance my shooting. Of course they also can be applied to mirrorless cameras, so making them there - and only there - is probably the sensible thing to do business-wise.

Someday mirrorless for me? Sure, though I'll keep shooting with what I already have until it wears out or no longer suits my needs. By the time I make the jump (years away) mirrorless will have solved the EVF lag and, hopefully, will allow me to shoot while wearing my polarized sunglasses.

Yeah, it will all be good eventually, just rather pensive now....I actually have a Samsung NX 20 which is a good ML camera that I used for a couple of years, very happily I should add, Samsung unfortunately went sideways when I was about to buy an NX1, another great camera...then I got the DSLR bug and a yearn for that fancy Canon glass....I have controlled big purchases pretty well though and slowly acquire the L glass (I rent alot).....the R line is seriously confusing all of that though....not that it's a real problem, it's all recreation for me, including this reply 😊

shuutrr

shuutrr's gear list:shuutrr's gear list
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Samsung NX20 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon 6D Mark II +9 more
John Photo Contributing Member • Posts: 714

So that you will be able to use your lenses for a long time, maybe start to squirrel away a couple of new bodies and batteries for them in advance of that apocalyptic day:-D

OP 1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 7,235

John Photo wrote:

So that you will be able to use your lenses for a long time, maybe start to squirrel away a couple of new bodies and batteries for them in advance of that apocalyptic day:-D

LOL, yes John, that is the plan if my 5D and 40D have lasted this long and working just fine, i am sure my 1Dx and 1dmk4 with 2 batteries, each, will last a lot longer! and if i don't hear from canon about introducing a high rez. either a R or a DSLR camera real soon, i'll grab a 5DsR and then i won't need another camera for the rest of my natural life again but i consider your advice serious as far as stocking more batteries and necessary accessories! thanks for your response.

-- hide signature --

You miss 100 percent of the shots you didn't take!!! "Wayne Gretzky"

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads