dead zone

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 7,471
dead zone

hello everyone,

i don't know if you guys have noticed, but any forum related to DSLR is just about dead, there is no debate, discussion or interest and that applies to aps-c and FF cameras, and just about all of the lenses as well! so what do you think, is canon in the process of killing DSLRs slowly by not introducing any new DSLR camra or lenses to entice new enthusiasm in DSLR camp or no ones has any clue (including canon) as to what is going on. of course i do see some activity in R/RS forum, which is understandable because it is the newest shiny toy! so, what do you think may happen, does anyone think we may see some new activity in DSLR camp, because it desperately needs it? would like to have your comments and opinion. thanks.

-- hide signature --

You miss 100 percent of the shots you didn't take!!! "Wayne Gretzky"

Distinctly Average Contributing Member • Posts: 500
Re: dead zone

Many forums, not just photography, have gone quieter in the last year or so. With more choice posts are also spread more thinly. I don’t think we can read much into the future of DSLRs into that. It has been a while since Canon or Nikon launched a DSLR so there is even less to talk about. Idle speculation based on rumours is just boring and often attracts the trolls.

-- hide signature --
ace_planephotos Forum Member • Posts: 51

1Dx4me wrote:

hello everyone,

i don't know if you guys have noticed, but any forum related to DSLR is just about dead, there is no debate, discussion or interest and that applies to aps-c and FF cameras, and just about all of the lenses as well! so what do you think, is canon in the process of killing DSLRs slowly by not introducing any new DSLR camra or lenses to entice new enthusiasm in DSLR camp or no ones has any clue (including canon) as to what is going on. of course i do see some activity in R/RS forum, which is understandable because it is the newest shiny toy! so, what do you think may happen, does anyone think we may see some new activity in DSLR camp, because it desperately needs it? would like to have your comments and opinion. thanks.

It is a gear website after all, and with mirrorless being pushed as the future and released at a faster rate, it makes sense that's where the discussion is. However, if looking at a forum such as the Micro Four Thirds forum, the bleakness of the Canon forums in comparison is betraying, since Canon has a much larger market share, former and current, than MFT (we also talk a lot less about equivalence here).

Canon could entice more interest back to DSLR with their next new release. However, it may well be their last APSC DSLR, so I would expect it to be a generational update that makes users happy for the near future (at least 3 yrs post release). I think mirrorless is the future though, and that's eventually what most of us will be using. If we have any hope of seeing smartphone computational imaging tricks in dedicated cameras, mirrorless needs to be the future because it is the best platform for those advancements (based on the fact that every smartphone camera is mirrorless).

In the meantime, my 80D is reliable, takes great images, and is more than capable enough for my uses of it. There are also more than enough produced and in-production EF lenses for myself and millions of others to not worry about being forced into a new system due to lack of supplies/compatibility.

-- hide signature --

Ben
Wildlife Photos (mostly birding) https://www.flickr.com/photos/156645688@N02/

ace_planephotos's gear list:ace_planephotos's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Tamron 100-400mm F4.5-6.3 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 2,731

1Dx4me wrote:

hello everyone,

Not just the DSLR forums - the M forum has been quieter than usual as well. The R forum is active, but not as lively as it was a few months ago. Canon hasn't released anything for some time, so (as a gear forum) less to talk about.

Wait until next month when the rumoured "90D" and M5 ii arrive and things will take off again. It is mostly (all) about new gear, so when there isn't any, things go quiet.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +3 more
benjilafouine Senior Member • Posts: 2,125

1Dx4me wrote:

hello everyone,

First, maybe the DSLR generation is getting older? It is my case and I am satisfied with my older gear. I have enough for the next 10 years unless something breaks.

And second, I rarely see anyone with serious gear anymore, they seem to settle with smartphones (I do that too).

So I think these forums have been a bit deserted in the past years. Maybe we should focus more on the pictures than the gear itself?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
There is always something to shoot/snap, you just have to know how to do it and have the right gear.
Benji

benjilafouine's gear list:benjilafouine's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot SX110 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon EOS 40D +12 more
Neil Schofield Contributing Member • Posts: 616

This was my take on a recent DPR forum re Canon moving forward

Canons position on a 7D2 upgrade might be :-

its not on a regular cycle for replacement, if it was it would be 5 year so it should be out this autumn

Were too busy with R and RF

We can’t yet match the D500

We still have Herberts like me buying 7D2s in order to replace knackered worn out ones(at a very good price too I might add)

Its frustrating and may slow sales as togs wonder which way Canon are going to jump

No 600 DO and not even a sniff of a 500L f5.6 IS

They can’t even put a preset A size crop in their DPP 4 software, but still manage to crank out new A size printers

Logical or not, I do hope that there is a 7D3 and a1DX3, however I too would like a return of the 1D ASPH fast action camera”

My real suspicion though is that canon wants to migrate fully to the RF lens system and hasn’t quite worked out how to do it without losing customers

The extra electrical contacts on the R system cause me concern, because whilst I am heavily invested in the EF system and would like to stay there, potential future performance of the R system because of improved AF and Tele extender performance might dictate otherwise

I can envisage that if RF Tele extenders were introduced with RF super teles, alongside R action Pro bodies, then the EF/DSLR line may be left to expire quietly by obsolescence and eventual non support”

RF is probably going to be the way forward which is disappointing because RF lenses can’t be used on current or potential mirror slappers with with OVFs

Dave
Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 4,743
Re: Dead Zone

benjilafouine wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

hello everyone,

First, maybe the DSLR generation is getting older? It is my case and I am satisfied with my older gear. I have enough for the next 10 years unless something breaks.

And second, I rarely see anyone with serious gear anymore, they seem to settle with smartphones (I do that too).

So I think these forums have been a bit deserted in the past years. Maybe we should focus more on the pictures than the gear itself?

The "DSLR generation" is an interesting concept.  How do you define it?  I used a film SLR (a hand-me-down from my father, who had gotten the Nikon of his dreams) for about 15 years, switched to "point-and-shoots" (first film and then digital) for about 20, and then got a DSLR.  I shoot a fair amount with my smartphone.  They've gotten pretty good.

Camera gear depends where you are and who you're with.  Half or more of the people on expedition cruises and safaris seem to have DSLRs, and most know to use them.  And I'm rarely the only DSLR shooter at high school tennis matches.

As for focusing more on pictures than gear, why not join the challenges?  There's one in progress, and I look forward to seeing your contributions.

Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot S20 Canon EOS 80D +7 more

As for focusing more on pictures than gear, why not join the challenges? There's one in progress, and I look forward to seeing your contributions.

I do, although not as often as I would want.

Last challenge was there (I won): https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62368884

I also contribute on a weekly basis there:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62843218

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62710873

-- hide signature --

Regards,
There is always something to shoot/snap, you just have to know how to do it and have the right gear.
Benji

Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot SX110 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon EOS 40D +12 more

The "DSLR generation" is an interesting concept. How do you define it? I used a film SLR (a hand-me-down from my father, who had gotten the Nikon of his dreams) for about 15 years, switched to "point-and-shoots" (first film and then digital) for about 20, and then got a DSLR. I shoot a fair amount with my smartphone. They've gotten pretty good.

I forgot to answer this question

I started in 2003 with digital cameras and got my first DSLR in 2005. Before 2003, I was using compact 35 mm cameras and didn't have much interest in the results (they were souvenirs/memories but nothing to frame on the wall). Digital era changed all that.

Fast forward in 2019, I own so many cameras (point and shoot, DSLR and even digital HD video cameras) that I do not see myself buying another camera for several more years unless my 7D breaks. I am now past 55 years old and I just retired and I can take good pictures with all my cameras (depending on what I want to shoot of course). Even my old S5 IS still does the job (I even have add-on lenses, wide and telephoto).

So when I refer to the "DSLR generation", I mean people who have jumped on the digital bandwagon since the early days of digital cameras and who are more than satisfied with what they already own. Of course, I do not consider myself as a professional photographer although I flirted with the idea 10 years ago. I can understand why pros would want an even better and faster camera.

This is what I consider to be the "DSLR generation" and I have no need to buy a more fancy things. This generation has enough cameras for years to come, hence I believe less attraction for new stuff.

Just my personal opinion.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Benji

Dave

benjilafouine wrote:

As for focusing more on pictures than gear, why not join the challenges? There's one in progress, and I look forward to seeing your contributions.

I do, although not as often as I would want.

Last challenge was there (I won): https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62368884

I also contribute on a weekly basis there:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62843218

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62710873

Nice work. There are also challenges associated with this forum.

Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot S20 Canon EOS 80D +7 more
Dave

benjilafouine wrote:

The "DSLR generation" is an interesting concept. How do you define it? I used a film SLR (a hand-me-down from my father, who had gotten the Nikon of his dreams) for about 15 years, switched to "point-and-shoots" (first film and then digital) for about 20, and then got a DSLR. I shoot a fair amount with my smartphone. They've gotten pretty good.

I forgot to answer this question

I started in 2003 with digital cameras and got my first DSLR in 2005. Before 2003, I was using compact 35 mm cameras and didn't have much interest in the results (they were souvenirs/memories but nothing to frame on the wall). Digital era changed all that.

Fast forward in 2019, I own so many cameras (point and shoot, DSLR and even digital HD video cameras) that I do not see myself buying another camera for several more years unless my 7D breaks. I am now past 55 years old and I just retired and I can take good pictures with all my cameras (depending on what I want to shoot of course). Even my old S5 IS still does the job (I even have add-on lenses, wide and telephoto).

So when I refer to the "DSLR generation", I mean people who have jumped on the digital bandwagon since the early days of digital cameras and who are more than satisfied with what they already own. Of course, I do not consider myself as a professional photographer although I flirted with the idea 10 years ago. I can understand why pros would want an even better and faster camera.

This is what I consider to be the "DSLR generation" and I have no need to buy a more fancy things. This generation has enough cameras for years to come, hence I believe less attraction for new stuff.

Just my personal opinion.

Thanks for the answer.  I also have an S5IS (though I never got the add-on lenses).  It is wonderfully compact and produced memorable results for me in Alaska and the Galapagos Islands. I still have it and all the digital cameras that led me to my 80D, which I can shooting with happily for years to come.  Part of the reason I got it was to shoot high school tennis.  While next year will likely be my last, I have discovered other uses for it.

I jumped from 350D to 40D to 7D while having concurrently point and shoot from A70 to G16 with several more along the way.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Benji

JPAlbert Contributing Member • Posts: 637

My off-the-wall prediction:

Canon will release one more APS-c DSLR (other than perhaps a Rebel or two).
That'll be it for the APS-c side of things.

They'll release one but not more than two more full-frame DSLR's.
And that will be "the end" for them, as well.

And from that point on... everything will be... mirrorless.

If I can’t use my EF lenses anymore then I’ll die with a DSLR in my hands!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Benji

shuutrr Regular Member • Posts: 349

IMO we are all gear heads to various extents, translating, to various aspirations of having the newest and best toys, even if only romantically, often....... I think the mirror less bodies and R lenses offered by Canon, are more expensive than exciting, the cost of the accompanying lenses verges on ridiculous, it is confusing, should I purchase a 24 - 105 or an R 24 -105, which costs twice as much and can only be used on a less than exciting body, hmm .....they need to make a "reverse adapter" at the least, come on Canon we want to follow along but there used to be a fairly clear path, now you're making this game a little harder to swallow, and so far, not as exciting....I think everyone might be in collective quandary...a little confused and perhaps standing on the sidelines doing some head scratching....yes Dear, it is all obsolete...:-|....worth 2 cents, maybe?

shuutrr

shuutrr's gear list:shuutrr's gear list
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 6D Canon 6D Mark II Samsung NX20 +9 more
Jozef M Senior Member • Posts: 1,308

I think these fora goes the same way as the Kodak forum.

Advanced amateurs and pros will go all eventually mirrorless, the mass market goes mirrorless and iPhone.
Canon has no market no more for the 'soccer moms', and will go all pro, which means very expensive and very good gear (with no mirror).

The Canon pro market is slowly changing ...

Jozef.

Jozef M's gear list:Jozef M's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 30D Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
photosen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,216

1Dx4me wrote:

hello everyone,

There's no relation between forums and brands, for some of us it might just be a case of having learned a lot on such forums, having contributed, but the medium has not evolved so they remained cesspools of misinformation, trolling, opinions, in other words less relevant; the home / front pages are even worse in their peddling of gossip and scandals. Others might even be lucky enough to be shooting instead of participating in forums.

If you look at canonrumors you can see Canon has been producing many products, even if they might not immediately of interest to each of us (in my case video and g series), and cameras in particular have reached a plateau: there's still room for improvement but it's not as dramatic as a few years ago. For instance while R cameras seem fine, the only thing I'm looking forward to is an RF UWA lens, and even then I might be perfectly content just with an EF UWA and whichever FF EF camera I can afford.

And then you have Canon's deliberate or ponderous market strategy: not very exciting but very reliable, which is a plus when you're out there actually taking photos.

-- hide signature --

The best bokeh goes unnoticed, grasshopper.

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +3 more
OP 1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 7,471

photosen wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

hello everyone,

There's no relation between forums and brands, for some of us it might just be a case of having learned a lot on such forums, having contributed, but the medium has not evolved so they remained cesspools of misinformation, trolling, opinions, in other words less relevant; the home / front pages are even worse in their peddling of gossip and scandals. Others might even be lucky enough to be shooting instead of participating in forums.

i agree with most of your points, my post wasn't really about "brand" but rather activity in canon's DSLR camp, which there are millions of units in use as we speak! one thing that has bothered me over the years is that we have many pundits in our DSLR forums, regardless of brands, that haven't posted a single photo, which is their prerogative by the way, just to add some credibility to their expressing "knowledge" and opinion to others. that is what has turned most of these forums into a "cesspools" of misinformation, IMO!

If you look at canonrumors you can see Canon has been producing many products, even if they might not immediately of interest to each of us (in my case video and g series), and cameras in particular have reached a plateau: there's still room for improvement but it's not as dramatic as a few years ago. For instance while R cameras seem fine, the only thing I'm looking forward to is an RF UWA lens, and even then I might be perfectly content just with an EF UWA and whichever FF EF camera I can afford.

well, although DSLR is considered a "mature" product, it still has room as far as implementation of newer technologies, such as more models with higher resolution, better DR, noise control in higher ISO and so on! i for me, am waiting for a higher resolution DSLR with better noise control than 5DsR! also, i have i am invested heavily in canon optics and cameras as of now and it'll be prohibitively expensive to jump to another format or brand! and i truely like DSLR format and feel comfortable with it. if canon doesn't introduce another high resolution DSLR, my 1D bodies will last me for many years to come! i have some of canon's finest lenses that i adore so i am not hurting for any more lenses. believe me, the more lenses you have the worst your situation will get because there isn't that much time to try all of them so naturally many of them will be collecting dust

And then you have Canon's deliberate or ponderous market strategy: not very exciting but very reliable, which is a plus when you're out there actually taking photos.

yeah, here i agree with your sentiment!

peace.

-- hide signature --

OP 1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 7,471

Jozef M wrote:

I think these fora goes the same way as the Kodak forum.

Advanced amateurs and pros will go all eventually mirrorless, the mass market goes mirrorless and iPhone.
Canon has no market no more for the 'soccer moms', and will go all pro, which means very expensive and very good gear (with no mirror).

The Canon pro market is slowly changing ...

Jozef.

mirror-less is not too bad, just new approach, IMO. my concern has more to do with obsolescence of my lenses that i have invested a lot $$$ in, and they are very fine optics. i am afraid the stability that use of DSLR gives me, i am afraid i won't be able to feel that with R/RF cameras!!!

surprisingly, there are millions of DSLRs are being used and purchased as we speak and it'll be around for a while. the purpose of my post was that the enthusiasm of discussion for DSLRs have quieted down considerably and that is not a good sign

-- hide signature --

shuutrr Regular Member • Posts: 349

Apparently DSLRs will be following a similar path as carburetor V-8s, you love-um, fun to use, but they just aren't happening anymore..... recreational users are suffering melancholy, DSLRs are such marvels of design, engineering, and manufacturing....mirror less seem a little lifeless in comparison....

shuutrr

shuutrr's gear list:shuutrr's gear list
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 6D Canon 6D Mark II Samsung NX20 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads