Any Sony HX99 owners?

Started Jul 3, 2019 | Discussions
NorCal Jim
NorCal Jim Regular Member • Posts: 456
Any Sony HX99 owners?

I'm looking for comments from any Sony HX99 owners since I am interested in the feedback from those who have used this camera.

I realize that I am asking this in a forum filled with enthusiasts who are using RX10/RX100 series cameras and have high standards for photo quality.  My reason for asking about the Sony HX99 is connected to my choice of an RX100M5.

I should explain.  I am making some changes to my camera gear.  I'll skip the long story and just say that I am invested in two ILC formats (Sony APS-C & MFT).  I originally chose a Sony a6000 due to its PDAF and have invested in additional cameras and lenses since.  Although I really like the Sony equipment, I have much more enjoyment from my Olympus MFT equipment.  I particularly enjoy the 5-axis IBIS and the direct control capability of my EM5ii & Pen-F.  I finally admitted to myself that the Sony equipment will just continue to sit on the shelf unused and it's time to make a change.  I didn't want to give up Sony's PDAF and see that I don't have to if I got an RX100M5.

So how does the Sony HX99 fit with my plans?  I have spent hours reading/watching reviews on the RX100M5 & M6 trying to decide which to choose.  I have had plenty of experience with the RX100M3 in the past and do not want to give up any low light performance and the f/1.8 - f/2.8 max aperture range.  Video is also important and I do not want to give up the ND filter nor do I want a work-around filter attachment.  The touch to focus and 200mm reach of the the M6 is attractive but not worth sacrificing the brighter lens and ND filter.

Spending hours studying the M6 and thinking about its focal length left me wondering about alternatives.  Yesterday morning while making breakfast, I had my iPad on the counter playing a YouTube video that showed an older video with one of the RX100 series cameras (think it was the M4) paired with a Sony HX90 (30x zoom). It took awhile, but the thought of a super zoom compact (720mm optical zoom & 1400mm with digital zoom) in a camera with a similar form factor as the RX100 series with a Zeiss lens and loaded with features (including 4K video), started to appeal to me the more I thought about it.  This camera has Sony's newer sensor and processor technology and includes eye AF.

I've watched some YouTube videos and seen some sample photos and video and the quality looks very good (not great, but perfectly acceptable).  I see the prospect of acquiring the Sony HX99 as giving me comparable quality with a good cell phone camera but with a 24-720mm optical focal length.  I also see this potential acquisition as a specialty camera like a Go Pro or drone camera.  Unlike the Sony HX90, the HX99 can shoot RAW and has a control ring like the RX100 series.

Frequently, I find myself presented with a photo or video opportunity requiring a greater range than my phone can provide (like a gathering of wild turkeys that would have dispersed at a closer approach).  This would be a perfect application for the HX99.

Thanks!

Jim

NorCal Jim's gear list:NorCal Jim's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX99 Sony a5100 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F +14 more
Canon EOS M6 Olympus PEN-F Sony a6000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX99 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
NorCal Jim
OP NorCal Jim Regular Member • Posts: 456
Re: Any Sony HX99 owners?

I'm not really surprised with no responses so far--asking about the HX99 was definitely a long shot! 

I did get the answers that I was looking for from Jay SonyAlphaLabs on YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMf-myyn7iY&t=2243s

Instead of just choosing between the RX100M5 & M6, I will be getting two cameras (M5 & HX99).  I want a long zoom reach and 720mm is very appealing and getting these two cameras allows me to keep the f/1.8 to f/2.8 max apertures and ND filter on one camera while supplementing these functions with a compact superzoom.

Jim

Sony RX100 V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX99 Sony a5100 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F +14 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 19,519

NorCal Jim wrote:

I'm not really surprised with no responses so far--asking about the HX99 was definitely a long shot!

Not such a long shot; but 6 hours might not be sufficient time for HX99 owners to visit, read, and respond.

I did get the answers that I was looking for from Jay SonyAlphaLabs on YouTube...

If you have all the answers you need, that's good. I've owned an HX90v and RX100III for more than a year. They both serve well, with different strengths and weaknesses. If any additional questions arise that I might help with, ask.

Unlike the Sony HX90, the HX99 can shoot RAW and has a control ring like the RX100 series.

See, you already missed something. The HX90v has a control ring like the RX100 series.

John McCormack
John McCormack Veteran Member • Posts: 6,532

NorCal Jim wrote:

Instead of just choosing between the RX100M5 & M6, I will be getting two cameras (M5 & HX99). I want a long zoom reach and 720mm is very appealing and getting these two cameras allows me to keep the f/1.8 to f/2.8 max apertures and ND filter on one camera while supplementing these functions with a compact superzoom.

Jim

I'm considering the HX99 also. I have the HX80, but the HX99 adds some bells and whistles, including RAW, that make it attractive and the price is decent.

I usually travel with the HX80 and RX100 IV; they cover low light and long shots like this young hawk and puffins that would have been impossible with RX100 IV.

NorCal Jim

sybersitizen wrote:

NorCal Jim wrote:

Not such a long shot; but 6 hours might not be sufficient time for HX99 owners to visit, read, and respond.

If you have all the answers you need, that's good. I've owned an HX90v and RX100III for more than a year. They both serve well, with different strengths and weaknesses. If any additional questions arise that I might help with, ask.

Unlike the Sony HX90, the HX99 can shoot RAW and has a control ring like the RX100 series.

See, you already missed something. The HX90v has a control ring like the RX100 series.

Thanks for your reply!  Nice to know there are other combining the RX100 series camera with an HX9x 30x zoom.  I read a comparison between the HX95 & HX99 concerning the control wheel and incorrectly assumed that it applied to the HX90 as well--good catch!

I know it was only 6 hours, but I was shocked and pleasantly surprised to see two replies. I'm hoping to pick up my HX99 tomorrow.

Jim

NorCal Jim

John McCormack wrote:

NorCal Jim wrote:

Instead of just choosing between the RX100M5 & M6, I will be getting two cameras (M5 & HX99). I want a long zoom reach and 720mm is very appealing and getting these two cameras allows me to keep the f/1.8 to f/2.8 max apertures and ND filter on one camera while supplementing these functions with a compact superzoom.

Jim

I'm considering the HX99 also. I have the HX80, but the HX99 adds some bells and whistles, including RAW, that make it attractive and the price is decent.

I usually travel with the HX80 and RX100 IV; they cover low light and long shots like this young hawk and puffins that would have been impossible with RX100 IV.

Very nice!  Hopefully, I will have my HX99 tomorrow!  I think I will wait until the fall to get the RX100M5 (in case a M7 is released with features that entice me to choose it over the M5).

Jim

NorCal Jim

Well, I picked up an HX99 earlier this afternoon at Fry's Electronics.  It's now charged up and I've been combing the menus and have tried some test shots indoors and somewhat low light, zooming in on my wife's Pooh chat pals (inserted the "Tigger" photo as a sample).  Low light qualifies as adverse conditions for this camera so I'm looking forward to getting some photos in good lighting conditions.

Jim

Tigger

lomoapontaechuta Regular Member • Posts: 273

hi

Don't take the following in the wrong way.

But since you have the hx99,and just for curiosity, can it do better than this? Can it push the limits a bit further than this?

(when you are more fluent with your brand new camera and only if you want to. RAW included or not, as you want).

I was in S mode in all of these.

And how is the sun flare of the hx99? Better than this?

thank you

lomoapontaechuta's gear list:lomoapontaechuta's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V
NorCal Jim

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

hi

Don't take the following in the wrong way.

But since you have the hx99,and just for curiosity, can it do better than this? Can it push the limits a bit further than this?

(when you are more fluent with your brand new camera and only if you want to. RAW included or not, as you want).

I was in S mode in all of these.

And how is the sun flare of the hx99? Better than this?

thank you

Thanks for the samples from your earlier HX model.  I'm looking forward to exploring the HX99's capabilities.  I'm recovering from some back troubles and have been looking for some photo opportunities around the house and in the backyard.  I took my first outdoor photos this morning along with some indoor photos with better light.  I haven't moved the new photos to my computer yet, but they look pretty good on the small LCD display.

Hopefully, I will be ready for my first local excursion about the time my battery order arrives. 

I like your samples and hope to make some of my own.

Jim

NorCal Jim

I just moved the photos I took this morning from the HX99 to my computer.  I had the mode dial set to program and images set to JPEG (fine).  The neighbor's crepe myrtle was in bloom and it looked like a chance to try zoom and compare color accuracy.  Although still morning when taken, the sun was really bright.  The color is accurate but the sky was blown out.

Neighbor's Crepe Myrtle

The glare inspired me to try a photo from my wife's art room since the sun created a glare that has washed out a photo taken weeks ago with an EM10ii.  Here is the HX99 stepping up to the challenge...

My wife transformed this machinist chest into paint tube storage.

While still in the art room, I noticed a Vincent Van Gogh self-portrait taken from a calendar some years back and had to wrap my hands around an easel and stretch forward in an awkward position to capture this photo...

Vincent self-portrait removed from an old calendar

Overall, I see some potential for my new HX99 and look forward to some short local excursions to further assess its capabilities.

Jim

juvdm
juvdm Forum Member • Posts: 78

HI ! I don't have myself the Sony HX99, but here is what I found on a very good french website who test many cameras:

According to Lesnumeriques: Sony HX99:

Image quality of the Sony HX99 (lesnumeriques): The HX99 uses the 1 / 2.3 "and 18 Mpx Cmos BSI sensor from its predecessor. Unfortunately, while we were able to judge the results acceptable in 2014, our quality requirements keep increasing as the quality of the devices increases. The introduction of a new LSI chip and a more recent processor does nothing: the images of the HX99 suffer from a very pronounced noise from ISO 400. At ISO 800, the rendering of details suffers greatly. like the dynamics of the images and the rendering of the colors which lose very strongly in saturation.

If the average quality of the images is mainly due to the use of a very small sensor, let us also note the mediocre performance of the lens which struggles to discriminate the details of the images, at wide angle as at telephoto. Its low sliding aperture, which goes from a maximum of f / 3.5 at wide-angle to f / 6.3 at telephoto, does not make things any easier since it requires increasing sensitivity to achieve sharp images, with the quality that we know this device in high sensitivity. In short, it's a vicious circle and it seems very difficult to achieve sharp, detailed and richly colored images with this device.

In addition, our few shots in sunny weather showed great sensitivity to flare and parasitic reflections. We have never had such a kaleidoscope effect when the sun comes in from the front!

(But I would like to do my own tests (Juvdm)

Sony HX90+v has also a control ring

I saw that someone put some photos of the HX50v, I had this one, it was doing good photos but also some more glare that I did not have with the HX60-80-90...

Can I share a page I did tests with many compacts ? :

http://divine-mercy-institute.org/juvdm/2019/sony-rx100-hx90v/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads