Need a opinion on this picture.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
kickoff3pm
kickoff3pm Regular Member • Posts: 322
Re: Need a opinion on this picture.

Typing without reading responses and not as anywhere near an expert.
Composition - too much sky, I would have tries to get higher, if not possible I would have lost the water. ISO - 200 seems a surprise, I thought it was higher more like 600, perhaps it's a filter. It's the kind of picture I take
From the last few days.

-- hide signature --

Look forward to more great days in the future. We owe that much to those no longer able to share our great days !

kickoff3pm's gear list:kickoff3pm's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Fujifilm X-T10 Canon EOS 60D +15 more
kickoff3pm
kickoff3pm Regular Member • Posts: 322

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

thank you all for your input, I'm very appreciated.

your critics were or will be taken in consideration in the right time. But, for now, the main reason I request your assistance is about another thing.

there's nothing wrong with my d90, I'm just a bit nostalgic, that's all.

When I edit I was aware that it was incomplete, but before I went any further and risk ruining all, I reached for more eyes (yours) to see if I'm going in the right direction.

I didn't want to say much at the time, but when I asked, What's the first thing that comes into your mind? I hoped the answer would be film. But the simple fact that wasn't clear for you means that I didn't succeed (despite some of you nailed the nail on the head, bullseye )

Plus I tried to go for a generic film look since I haven't yet some old photos to guide me through, so my memory/imagination is all that I have for now, so , i'll take way of date film with expired chemicals :), at least is a start.

I think i manage to do this with my sony. I'm pretty happy with the overall result, despite not being quite a photo but it's closer to an add in a 60's or 70's magazine.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Here's one from film

Here's the negative

-- hide signature --

Look forward to more great days in the future. We owe that much to those no longer able to share our great days !

kickoff3pm's gear list:kickoff3pm's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Fujifilm X-T10 Canon EOS 60D +15 more
Smaug01
Smaug01 Senior Member • Posts: 2,607
It's very noisy

Looks like it was shot in low light and the ISO was cranked way up.

You might try some noise-reduction strategies to clean it up.

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ +16 more
DMKAlex
DMKAlex Veteran Member • Posts: 4,739

It is extremely noisy. At ISO 200? With a Nikon? Something is wrong.

DMKAlex's gear list:DMKAlex's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +3 more
BrownieVet Senior Member • Posts: 1,834

fferreres wrote:

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Guys, anyone has a good recommendation on how to make a photo look old like this above?

As evident from the post preceding mine, special effects are now very much standard in many post-processing software. Even the lowly FREE Picasa (discontinued) has special effect for film-like output. Presets makes it just ONE CLICK operation. Pictorial and Luminar are two INEXPENSIVE (under $40 one time payment) software available on-line.  Affinity Photo is about $56 but may (now) be on-sale for about $45.

OP,

To the poster about film, he said film but also shares a photo that looks with browned paper, as it was old, not just current film.

I am not the OP nor the poster you are addressing.  Special effects I mentioned above includes brown paper bag, wrinkled look, shrilled look, elongated, Picasso effect,  high-key, low-key, and much more.
I electrd not to post  samples.

tassienick Contributing Member • Posts: 989

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

My last film incursion didn't go well.

I got my hands on a 90's Minolta Dynax , all seemed well at first, but when I put the batteries in, the camera went mad, starting to do burst mode all over the place, several times until it started to smell burnt, in the screen was written HELP and that was it.

Which is why I suggested a SRT101 (or any manual, mechanical body).

Electronic plastic-fantastic bodies from the 90's are a disaster waiting to happen...

Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 32,322
Daguerrotype

D Cox wrote:

Yes, it is black and white. You can't tone a Daguerrotype.

Thanks, didn't know what they looked like. So the PaintShop Pro version is a romanticised version being auto toned to make a mock "old" look. Next time I'll take the PSP results and make it grey scale. If there is a next time, as I normally don't wish to make good images look awful and old.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL1 +4 more
nicodimus22
nicodimus22 Senior Member • Posts: 2,992
Distracting amount of grain/noise.

The second thing I think when I look at it is how much better it would have looked if taken with golden hour light, or a stormy looking sky, or at night with some lights on.

nicodimus22's gear list:nicodimus22's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Nikon 24mm F1.8G ED +7 more
bosjohn21
bosjohn21 Forum Pro • Posts: 22,014

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

Feel free to comment at this picture, what do you think? What's the first thing that comes into your mind when looking at it?

this is just the beginning  While your simple composition is fine you need to do a lot more work in post.

first and very important for your work flow is to set up your flow and stick to it. On possible work flow which works for me is after opening the image in Pshop I consider the image for any  noise work cropping and straightening of verticals and or horisontals. Your image needed lots of noise reduction and straightening and coplor and contrast work.

first straighten it. Most of this can be done with the lens correction then a touch of work in warp under the warp menu which you access in Pshop by making sure there are no layers open then choosing layers then new layer then layer via copy then go to the edit menu and choose transform and then warp. this tool will allow you to hand straighten many image with very little loss of image area.

then you should establish a black and white point by choosing the layers menu then levels. With the levels box open move the center slider all the way to the right until the brightest spot is obvious. this might also require moving the white poinnter a tad towards the center to get it to show up better. then choose the white eye droper and click oh the brightest spot  for the black point move the center slider all the way towards the left and you should easily see the darkest spot and using the black eye droper sample this spot

now you will have all the tonalites available to you that are in your file.  Tbere is no law that says evey final image will have a perfedt white or black point and as a manter of fact  this will have to have the highlights brought down slightly so the detail in the walls are visible.  using the white slider to bring down the white to just the right point for this image and play around with the center slider till you see how bright or dark you feel the image might be.

With this image there is not a great dael more to do other then a touch of vignetting which will help give it more shape.

you really did not do any post on this by the look of it

many are scared to do that but its lossless if your using raw you will never alter your

if you like the more sunset and warmer coler look you can easily work that in pshop.

original file. so you  are free to try what ever you want

bottom line this making images involves a great deal more that just shooting and saving a jpeg

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

EvelynGorfram
EvelynGorfram Junior Member • Posts: 26

Image quality of the castle picture reminded me of an old printed color postcard.

Second image looks like a bad 1970's-era magazine photo. (In the old days of of film photography, snapshots sometimes came back from the drugstore film developer/printer looking like that. When that happened, you threw them out.)

EvelynGorfram's gear list:EvelynGorfram's gear list
Apple iPhone 7
embie
embie Senior Member • Posts: 1,244
Re: A picture of a newspaper picture...

That's the first thing that came into my mind when I saw this.

A reproduction of  newspaper picture.

eMBie

-- hide signature --

"Travel is fatal...for prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" (Mark Twain) - "The world...is our home" (eMBie)
https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/7430788190

embie's gear list:embie's gear list
Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus TG-5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR
OP lomoapontaechuta Regular Member • Posts: 270

First of all, sorry about the delay. I've got a frenetic week at work and I didn't have the time to respond.

I've got to say, I'm no pp, I look at pictures like they are presented to me I never look at them with a magnifying glass, until now.

I'm trying to reverse engineer that 70's and 60's consumer level look, the textures, colour pallets, highlights, blacks, (the red will be difficult) are my main concern right now.

Meanwhile I'm trying to find pictures that my dad took before I was born and when I was very little, he did what I'm looking for with a Pentax and he did that effortless. But I didn't find them yet.

Once I find them, i'll know what type of film to go after.

So to those that posted some film and film alike examples, thank you so much.

lomoapontaechuta's gear list:lomoapontaechuta's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V

tassienick wrote:

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

My last film incursion didn't go well.

I got my hands on a 90's Minolta Dynax , all seemed well at first, but when I put the batteries in, the camera went mad, starting to do burst mode all over the place, several times until it started to smell burnt, in the screen was written HELP and that was it.

Which is why I suggested a SRT101 (or any manual, mechanical body).

Electronic plastic-fantastic bodies from the 90's are a disaster waiting to happen...

I did went to my father for advice before I went for the dynax.

I ask for his opinion about a Pentax Spotmatic  (he used a Pentax back in the day), to this day he is a fan of Pentax despite shooting with other cameras in this day and age.

the answer was.

Don't buy that... blip.

So the camera is still there for sale.

I went for the Dynax because it was one of the last film cameras, it has "training wheels" features, that was my logic.

I could use my digital cameras to read the scene and put  that  in a film camera, a safety net to not waste a roll. At least at the beginning.

So I didn't discard that option just yet. I just want to try with digital first, because I got a littlecold feet after the Dynax.

I heard, read and saw that  film has an  equivalent resolution of 3 MP.

I'm PP your colour shot for several days now to have a benchmark next time I go out.

thank you

Yes I need to put more  work into, my attempt is incomplete, your is incomplete too.

One of the problems I have done this with no example to follow, only with a idea of what's the film looks like, by memory or imagination.

And what you say about work flow it's true, but I'm still trying to find out what will be to be able to stick with it, not only that but I have to find a way to put all of this (what is in this topic) working together. Before the last resort (shooting film)

When I posted the picture I was aware that was way too digital looking.

your is too but mainly because of elements in the frame, the subject, I think, is spot on .

I like it very much. I think the tower is much closer to film than mine

I used a jpeg only because is a try out but I have the raw, I always shoot both.

I'll try your advice.

Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 32,322

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

I heard, read and saw that film has an equivalent resolution of 3 MP.

That figure is a bit low. From my experience with 35mm film and experiments comparing film to early digital cameras, I came to the conclusion that at about 10MP digital equalled film. Olympus later said 10 to 12MP was the target to beat 35mm film.

In practice (usually then printing for camera club competitions) it worked out that at 8MP digital looked better than film due to the cleaner result. But digital files when printing definitely have a hard size limit where they just looked "empty" if printed too large, while film printed too large had all that lovely grain to hide the fact that the resolution wasn't there.

I'm PP your colour shot for several days now to have a benchmark next time I go out.

thank you

Frankly, it's beyond me why anyone would want to mess up a digital image to make it as bad as film.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL1 +4 more

Guy Parsons wrote:

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

I heard, read and saw that film has an equivalent resolution of 3 MP.

That figure is a bit low. From my experience with 35mm film and experiments comparing film to early digital cameras, I came to the conclusion that at about 10MP digital equalled film. Olympus later said 10 to 12MP was the target to beat 35mm film.

In practice (usually then printing for camera club competitions) it worked out that at 8MP digital looked better than film due to the cleaner result. But digital files when printing definitely have a hard size limit where they just looked "empty" if printed too large, while film printed too large had all that lovely grain to hide the fact that the resolution wasn't there.

thank you

Frankly, it's beyond me why anyone would want to mess up a digital image to make it as bad as film.

Regards.... Guy

Digital it's great, don't get me wrong, and I'm not a hipster, I like definition and resolution as much as the next man.

but sometimes there are subjects that digital with 4k or HD just don't get, and there are other subjects that digital with all resolution in the world just miss the point. Like in those cases when you don't want to capture the real thing and or a person but the memory/idea of the thing and or a person. And for that Digital stills can trails behind

Bobthearch
Bobthearch Veteran Member • Posts: 8,228

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

Or that.

Looks more like an add or a picture on a cardboard where the product is in.

here is the originals, SOOC. One cold, one warm

Feel free to play around.

There are many software programs with film emulation filters and presets.

Here are some examples:

Analog Efex from the Nik Collection (free)

Kodachrome preset in the DxO Filmpack (free)

On1 Effects (free).  Started with a film preset then played with sliders.

The most comprehensive set of film emulators is the G'Mic plugin for GIMP, which I don't happen to have installed at the moment.

-- hide signature --

Personal non-commercial websites with no ads or tracking:
Local photography: http://ratonphotos.com/
Travel and photography: http://placesandpics.com/
Special-interest photos: http://ghosttowns.placesandpics.com/

Bobthearch's gear list:Bobthearch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR +2 more
Bobthearch
Bobthearch Veteran Member • Posts: 8,228

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

Feel free to play around.

I don't know if this has the vintage character you're looking for, but if it were my image I'd do something like this:  Re-crop.  Delete the distracting people (and their reflections).  A slight distortion correction.  Add a vignette.  And play with the exposure sliders.

Nearly all of this was done with On1 Effects 2018 (free from promotion).

-- hide signature --

Personal non-commercial websites with no ads or tracking:
Local photography: http://ratonphotos.com/
Travel and photography: http://placesandpics.com/
Special-interest photos: http://ghosttowns.placesandpics.com/

Bobthearch's gear list:Bobthearch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR +2 more
Alex Ridgway Regular Member • Posts: 474

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

Feel free to comment at this picture, what do you think? What's the first thing that comes into your mind when looking at it?

noise, distortion

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads