Need a opinion on this picture.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 4,648
Re: Need a opinion on this picture.

This looks like a photo of a fading old photo shot on film.

Also weird....1/4000 at f3.5.

CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G7 X II Nikon D700 Nikon D5600 +14 more
Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 11,754

CMCM wrote:

Agreed.

Not really according to the “Sunny 16 rule” at ISO 200:

f/16 1/200th

f/11 1/400th

f/8 1/800th

f/5.6 1/1600th

f/4 1/3200th

f/2.8 1/6400th

Still, that is not an f-stop and shutter-speed combination I would have used for an architectural subject.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
To see my work please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on Instagram @therealellisv

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Nikon D850 +1 more
dmanthree
dmanthree Veteran Member • Posts: 7,921

Instamatic.

Sorry, it just looks like an old film shot scanned.

-- hide signature --

---enjoys shooting with inferior gear---

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Apple iPhone 11 Apple iPhone 11 Pro +2 more
dmanthree
Re: Need a opinion on this picture: regarding the look of this photo

Ellis Vener wrote:

As I remarked to Craig

It looks like the photographer used some sort of digital filter meant to mimic the look of way-out-of-date high-speed E6 transparency film that was stored in an overheated room and then cross-processed in nearly expired C-41 chemistry.

I hate that I know what all that means.

-- hide signature --

dmanthree

CMCM wrote:

Minox B? Except for the high shutter speed, I guess.

-- hide signature --

OP lomoapontaechuta Regular Member • Posts: 270

thank you all for your input, I'm  very appreciated.

your critics were or will be taken in consideration in the right time. But, for now, the main reason I request your assistance is about another thing.

there's nothing wrong with my d90, I'm just a bit nostalgic, that's all.

When I edit I was aware that it was incomplete, but before I went any further and risk ruining all, I reached for more eyes (yours) to see if I'm going in the right direction.

I didn't want to say much at the time, but when I asked, What's the first thing that comes into your mind? I hoped the answer would be film. But the simple fact that wasn't clear for you means that I didn't succeed (despite some of you nailed the nail on the head, bullseye )

Plus I tried to go for a generic film look since I haven't yet some old photos to guide me through, so my memory/imagination is all that I have for now, so , i'll take way of date film with expired chemicals :), at least is a start.

I think i manage to do this with my sony. I'm pretty happy with the overall result, despite  not being quite a photo but it's closer to an add in a 60's or 70's magazine.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

lomoapontaechuta's gear list:lomoapontaechuta's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V
BodkinsBest
BodkinsBest Regular Member • Posts: 336

Excessive noise.

After that, excessive shutter speed for the subject.

BodkinsBest's gear list:BodkinsBest's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2
tassienick Senior Member • Posts: 1,012

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

I didn't want to say much at the time, but when I asked, What's the first thing that comes into your mind? I hoped the answer would be film.

The issue (for me) is that you haven't made it look like film, you've made it look like really, really badly shot and processed film...

Plus I tried to go for a generic film look since I haven't yet some old photos to guide me through,

There is no 'generic film look', just a look that the digital photography community seems to have decided film should look like...

I think i manage to do this with my sony. I'm pretty happy with the overall result, despite not being quite a photo but it's closer to an add in a 60's or 70's magazine.

Again, not film, just bad white balance...

If you genuinely want to go for a film look why not just pick up something like a Minolta SRT101 and go shoot some film?

BrownieVet Senior Member • Posts: 1,872
No Kidding !

If not for the EXIF,  the photograph could pass for one taken with a Brownie by a 9-year old.

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

Feel free to comment at this picture, what do you think? What's the first thing that comes into your mind when looking at it?

fferreres Senior Member • Posts: 2,309

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

thank you all for your input, I'm very appreciated.

your critics were or will be taken in consideration in the right time. But, for now, the main reason I request your assistance is about another thing.

When I edit I was aware that it was incomplete, but before I went any further and risk ruining all, I reached for more eyes (yours) to see if I'm going in the right direction.

I didn't want to say much at the time, but when I asked, What's the first thing that comes into your mind? I hoped the answer would be film. But the simple fact that wasn't clear for you means that I didn't succeed (despite some of you nailed the nail on the head, bullseye )

Plus I tried to go for a generic film look since I haven't yet some old photos to guide me through, so my memory/imagination is all that I have for now, so , i'll take way of date film with expired chemicals :), at least is a start.

I think i manage to do this with my sony. I'm pretty happy with the overall result, despite not being quite a photo but it's closer to an add in a 60's or 70's magazine.

Guys, anyone has a good recommendation on how to make a photo look old like this above? OP, do you have the original? Or did you take the photo like that you posted and this upload was without any changes? It’s best to do the vintage look always after post procession.

To the poster about film, he said film but also shares a photo that looks with browned paper, as it was old, not just current film.

My last film  incursion didn't go well.

I got my hands on a 90's Minolta Dynax , all seemed well at first, but when I put the batteries in, the camera went mad, starting to do burst mode  all over the place, several times until it started to smell burnt, in the screen was written HELP and that was it.

Or that.

Looks more like an add or a picture on a cardboard where the product is in.

here is the originals, SOOC. One cold, one warm

Feel free to play around.

fferreres Senior Member • Posts: 2,309

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

Or that.

Looks more like an add or a picture on a cardboard where the product is in.

here is the originals, SOOC. One cold, one warm

Feel free to play around.

Have you ever used Rawtherapee? It has a film simulation feature and if you search for “haldclut” you will find a larger number of actual past film profiles that will give you joy, happiness, wonder and actually, great results.

Maybe a kind soul can play with some examples to make it look old but not “instagram-like” old (yuk).

Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 32,491

fferreres wrote:

Maybe a kind soul can play with some examples to make it look old but not “instagram-like” old (yuk).

How about this.....

The Daguerreotype filter in PaintShop Pro.

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 +4 more
markyboy81 Senior Member • Posts: 2,295

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

Feel free to comment at this picture, what do you think? What's the first thing that comes into your mind when looking at it?

Grainy

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 +12 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 24,080

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

your critics were or will be taken in consideration in the right time. But, for now, the main reason I request your assistance is about another thing.

When I edit I was aware that it was incomplete, but before I went any further and risk ruining all, I reached for more eyes (yours) to see if I'm going in the right direction.

I didn't want to say much at the time, but when I asked, What's the first thing that comes into your mind? I hoped the answer would be film. But the simple fact that wasn't clear for you means that I didn't succeed (despite some of you nailed the nail on the head, bullseye )

Plus I tried to go for a generic film look since I haven't yet some old photos to guide me through, so my memory/imagination is all that I have for now, so , i'll take way of date film with expired chemicals :), at least is a start.

There isn't really such a thing as a "generic film look". Films can be monochrome or colour, negative or positive, any size from 8mm cine up to 10x8 inch sheet film. They all look different. Films from different makers look different.

Kodak even made a colour film for photographing babies.

This shot from 1964 was taken on Kodak Tri-X film in available light, handheld, so with a slow shutter speed.

This was shot on 5x4 inch transparency (positive) film with the camera on a tripod, and scanned with an Epson desktop scanner. A bit more PP would improve the colours.

fferreres wrote:

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

Guys, anyone has a good recommendation on how to make a photo look old like this above? OP, do you have the original? Or did you take the photo like that you posted and this upload was without any changes? It’s best to do the vintage look always after post procession.

That's just badly printed in a magazine.

To the poster about film, he said film but also shares a photo that looks with browned paper, as it was old, not just current film.

It is not the case that all old prints were sepia toned; and you can make a print in the darkroom today and sepia tone it. The main advantage of sepia toning is that the print becomes less likely to fade -- but generally, prints fade only if they were not thoroughly washed.

Some people found straight B&W looked "cold" and sepia toning warms the print to suit these viewers.

You could also print on plain white paper, or on cream-tinted paper. Warm tone paper is still on sale for inkjet printers today.

lomoapontaechuta wrote:

My last film incursion didn't go well.

I got my hands on a 90's Minolta Dynax , all seemed well at first, but when I put the batteries in, the camera went mad, starting to do burst mode all over the place, several times until it started to smell burnt, in the screen was written HELP and that was it.

Get a fully mechanical camera with no batteries. Less to go wrong.

Guy Parsons wrote:

fferreres wrote:

How about this.....

The Daguerreotype filter in PaintShop Pro.

Scan of a real Daguerrotype, original taken in London around 1860. This is one half of a stereo pair. (Where are the high resolution stereo digital cameras ?)

Yes, it is black and white. You can't tone a Daguerrotype.

Gary Martin
Gary Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 4,527

Does this somehow lead to a Rick Astley video?

-- hide signature --
 Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Ricoh GR III Olympus PEN-F Pentax K-1 Pentax KP Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads