Best low light FF Canon DSLR

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
steks New Member • Posts: 11
Best low light FF Canon DSLR

Is there somewhere info to be found to figure out which camera is most light sensitive? I am thinking of buying a secondhand 5D/5Dii of 6D to use indoors with a 50mm prime. For other situations my 77D is more than enough for my use.

Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 77D / EOS 9000D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
BAK Forum Pro • Posts: 24,777
What is your deliverable?

I don't think you'll see better 8 x 12 low light prints than the ones you get from your current camera.

BAK

Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 4,455
Re: Best low light FF Canon DSLR

Welcome to the forum.

IMO since you're using the 77D the 6D would be a good 'choice' for its low light abilities, and its size/ weight closest to APC-S DSLR's like your 77D.

Just note if you have EF-S lenses, you cannot mount a EF-S lens to FF DSLR.

If you have not already done, read the DPR "Canon EOS 6D In-Depth Review" HERE .

FYI some 6D RAW PP images; EXIF data in images:

4000 ISO

6400 ISO

12800 ISO

Cheers,
Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic ZS100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D +18 more
Waldemar Senior Member • Posts: 1,567

I think you´d need something like a Nikon D750 to get visibly (in print!) cleaner high ISO shots than from your 77D.  Canon´s current APS-C sensor is pretty good.

-- hide signature --

Waldemar
www.pbase.com/haak

OP steks New Member • Posts: 11

Thank you for the reactions, maybe a bit more info from me would be nice. I have a few lenses, Yongnuo 35mm f/2, Yongnuo 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 and Some lenses with a smaller aperture. Indoors and in low light situations I primarely use the YN 35 to shoot pictures of my kids, even with the aperture wide open I often need an relative high ISO with a shutterspeed of around 1/50.  Because of that i only have a small percentage of keepers an even those aren’t really perfect. I could use an external flash, but rather I do without.

Now I am thinking of buying a faster 30/35mm prime like the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art, or Yongnuo 35mm f/1.4, but then I thought maybe i get a better result with a secondhand FF camera and a 50mm f/1.8 (the one i have, or a better one).

Morvegil
Morvegil Contributing Member • Posts: 689

Id' get the EOS R honestly.

-- hide signature --

Only pros shoot with Canon.

Morvegil's gear list:Morvegil's gear list
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +1 more
CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 6,630

The 6D has by far better low light capabilities than any of the 5D- series through the III, and, some say high ISO images are cleaner than even the 5D Mark IV.

OP steks New Member • Posts: 11

Morvegil wrote:

I am also thinking about the EOS RP, but than i want tot wait for about a year to save some money and see id there will be affordable RF lenses.

Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 2,641

steks wrote:

Thank you for the reactions, maybe a bit more info from me would be nice. I have a few lenses, Yongnuo 35mm f/2, Yongnuo 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 and Some lenses with a smaller aperture. Indoors and in low light situations I primarely use the YN 35 to shoot pictures of my kids, even with the aperture wide open I often need an relative high ISO with a shutterspeed of around 1/50. Because of that i only have a small percentage of keepers an even those aren’t really perfect. I could use an external flash, but rather I do without.

Now I am thinking of buying a faster 30/35mm prime like the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art, or Yongnuo 35mm f/1.4, but then I thought maybe i get a better result with a secondhand FF camera and a 50mm f/1.8 (the one i have, or a better one).

I have a M5 (same sensor as 77D) and a 6D ii, and the M5 is generally limited to around ISO1600 before noise intrudes to much for my likely, whereas the 6D ii is about ISO6400, so FF is probably better by around 2 stops IMO.

I have no idea whether the Yongnuo lenses you have are FF compatible, but the Sigma 17-50mm is not - it will vignette.

I would suggest a 6D if you are budget constrained, or a 6D ii. The R is probably better, but significantly more $. The RP has the same sensor as the 6D ii, but obviously needs an adapter for non-RF lenses.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +3 more
J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 14,924

steks wrote:

Is there somewhere info to be found to figure out which camera is most light sensitive? I am thinking of buying a secondhand 5D/5Dii of 6D to use indoors with a 50mm prime. For other situations my 77D is more than enough for my use.

Of those you listed, the 6D, definitely. The newer ones do not offer any/much low light improvements.

KiloHotelphoto Regular Member • Posts: 206

I've found the 1DX2 does a great job in low light, but can only compare it to a 7D2 and 5dsr.

KiloHotelphoto's gear list:KiloHotelphoto's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III +2 more
MarshallG
MarshallG Veteran Member • Posts: 7,242

J A C S wrote:

steks wrote:

Of those you listed, the 6D, definitely. The newer ones do not offer any/much low light improvements.

Yup. The FF definitely beat the 80D but they're pretty similar to each other:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison?attr18=lowlight&attr13_0=canon_eos6d&attr13_1=canon_eos5dmkiv&attr13_2=canon_eos6dmkii&attr13_3=canon_eos7dii&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=25600&attr16_1=25600&attr16_2=25600&attr16_3=25600&normalization=full&widget=1&x=-0.8745494505494505&y=0.1300839789225718

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 14,736

Let me give you a different answer.

You said you had problems with high noise when shooting pictures of your children with the Yongnuo 35mm f/2. I assume this is with ambient lighting only or with the built-in flash.

My suggestion is that you buy yourself a good TTL hot-shoe flash and learn to bounce the light off the ceiling or a wall to give you good light on your subjects. One of these hot-shoe flash units will be several times brighter than the 77D's built-in flash.

Using a bounced flash will let you reduce your ISO sufficiently to reduce the noise problem. Increasing the in-camera noise reduction a small amount will give you clean Straight Out Of Camera (SOOC) JPGs, or you can do the noise reduction in post if you preferre.

Bounce Flash Secrets – Bouncing Your Way to Better Photography

You should consider the Godox flash units sold by Adorama under their Flashpoint house brand. You get a real warrantee that Adorama honors vs a worthless piece of paper (if you even get that) from the Chinese suppliers on Amazon/eBay.

The Zoom TTL R2 uses four AA batteries while the Zoom Li-Ion R2 TTL uses a LI-Ion battery for more shots from a single charge.

The Zoom-Mini TTL R2 also uses only 2 AA batteries but it is only half as powerful as the other two flash units.

Buying two sets of batteries plus an intelligent charger makes the total cost of the Zoom TTL R2 about the same as buying the Zoom Li-Ion R2 TTL flash.

I recommend the Zoom LI-Ion R2 TTL flash as the best overall buy at $179.

Adorama Flashpoint Zoom TTL R2 Flash With Integrated R2 Radio Transceiver - Canon (TT685C)

Adorama Flashpoint Zoom Li-ion R2 TTL On-Camera Flash Speedlight for Canon FP-LF-SM-ZLCA-V2 (V860)

FLASH HAVOC - GODOX – V860II-C – Canon TTL Radio Speedlite – (Flashpoint Zoom Li-Ion R2 TTL)

Adorama Flashpoint Zoom-Mini TTL R2 Flash for Canon Compact Cameras (Godox TT350)

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 5DS R & 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX +9 more
John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 22,161

MarshallG wrote:

J A C S wrote:

steks wrote:

It comes down in real world to what optics you are using.

If you don't get the bigger lens with the larger entrance pupil with shallower DOF, for the same angle of view, the larger-sensor camera does not deliver, noise-wise, above base ISO.

It just so happens that DPReview "accidentally" tested the 5D4 at ISO 32000, which it usually doesn't do, but this is convenient for comparing in "equivalence" of angle of view, DOF, photon noise, and diffraction, which you would get with the same entrance pupil size and similar pricing in a lens.  When you compare the 7D2 to the 5D4 that way (12800 vs 32000), noise is about the same in daylight mode, and the 7D2 is slightly cleaner in incandescent mode.  This would carry over to cropping from the 5D4 vs using the 7D2, and in that case, the resolution ranking would flip, with the 7D2 then having the most resolution.

Larger sensor sizes do not give better high ISO performance by themselves; they absolutely require larger lenses to do the same angle of view, and get that extra light.  There is no automatic magic in larger sensor size in isolation, except for using Av mode at base ISO, where you simply fill all the photosites on the larger center near capacity, regardless of whether you're using an f/0.9 lens or a pinhole cap.

John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 22,161

steks wrote:

The 1Dx series has the least noise at high ISOs.  They are a bit expensive, though, and if you don't go with one of those, you have the 5D4 and 6D (original "mark I") as the next runner-ups, with the 6D being much less expensive, but it has no EC available in auto-ISO + M mode, if that is important to you.

The AF in the 6D can be very accurate, even in low light, but it is fairly slow, compared to the other cameras mentioned.

MarshallG
MarshallG Veteran Member • Posts: 7,242

John Sheehy wrote:

MarshallG wrote:

J A C S wrote:

steks wrote:

If you don't get the bigger lens with the larger entrance pupil with shallower DOF, for the same angle of view, the larger-sensor camera does not deliver, noise-wise, above base ISO.

It just so happens that DPReview "accidentally" tested the 5D4 at ISO 32000, which it usually doesn't do, but this is convenient for comparing in "equivalence" of angle of view, DOF, photon noise, and diffraction, which you would get with the same entrance pupil size and similar pricing in a lens. When you compare the 7D2 to the 5D4 that way (12800 vs 32000), noise is about the same in daylight mode, and the 7D2 is slightly cleaner in incandescent mode. This would carry over to cropping from the 5D4 vs using the 7D2, and in that case, the resolution ranking would flip, with the 7D2 then having the most resolution.

Larger sensor sizes do not give better high ISO performance by themselves; they absolutely require larger lenses to do the same angle of view, and get that extra light. There is no automatic magic in larger sensor size in isolation, except for using Av mode at base ISO, where you simply fill all the photosites on the larger center near capacity, regardless of whether you're using an f/0.9 lens or a pinhole cap.

It’s a little difficult to follow you sometimes, but are you saying that a FF camera is equal or worse than a crop camera if you crop the image you shot with the FF camera?   I understand that’s very meaningful in stuff like bird and maybe sports photography. If my most expensive lens was a 100-400 and I didn’t have 500-600mm glass (which is incredibly heavy and expensive), then I see your point.

There aren’t many small fast APS-C lenses, except Fuji ($$$). In Canon, I think every fast lens is a FF lens anyway.

I think that’s your point, and if so, it make sense to me.

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Dr_Jon Veteran Member • Posts: 6,108

It depends on what you mean, if you mean the best DR then above ISO 1000 they are basically all the same. (At the image level, a 5Dsr won't do so well at the pixel level...)
At low ISO the 5D4 just edges it from the 1Dx2 and R.

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon%20EOS%201D%20X%20Mark%20II,Canon%20EOS%205D%20Mark%20IV,Canon%20EOS%205DS%20R,Canon%20EOS%206D,Canon%20EOS%206D%20Mark%20II,Canon%20EOS%20R

Adapting Canon glass onto an A7-3 or A7r-3 may give a better result though.

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +29 more
J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 14,924

John Sheehy wrote:

MarshallG wrote:

J A C S wrote:

steks wrote:

He said a 50mm prime, so that pretty much settles it. Hard to get the same light with crop unless he meant the old 50/2.5 macro.

It just so happens that DPReview "accidentally" tested the 5D4 at ISO 32000, which it usually doesn't do, but this is convenient for comparing in "equivalence" of angle of view, DOF, photon noise, and diffraction, which you would get with the same entrance pupil size and similar pricing in a lens. When you compare the 7D2 to the 5D4 that way (12800 vs 32000), noise is about the same in daylight mode, and the 7D2 is slightly cleaner in incandescent mode.

This is an interesting academic example but where people normally shoot, the 5D4 is 1 stop+ better than the 7D2 at the same ISO.

expro Senior Member • Posts: 1,813

It is the body that matters the most otherwise you simply have dof problems and also subjects moving!

from your list never get the 5d as now it’s low light is prehistoric. 5d2 was much better and 6d better still.

if for can find second hand then 5div or maybe r if you don’t require fast fps but want good portrait focus ?

expro's gear list:expro's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +7 more
Morvegil
Morvegil Contributing Member • Posts: 689

steks wrote:

Morvegil wrote:

I am also thinking about the EOS RP, but than i want tot wait for about a year to save some money and see id there will be affordable RF lenses.

Yeah, and use the adapter and use all the EF and EF-S lenses...

-- hide signature --

Only pros shoot with Canon.

Morvegil's gear list:Morvegil's gear list
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads