Just took the plunge with 55-200

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
afwares Regular Member • Posts: 150
Re: Just took the plunge with 55-200

@third son, how much PP is built into those shots?   I'm looking at photos I've taken at 200mm on my lens, and all the sharpness test shots I've done, and either you got the best copy of this lens that Fuji ever produced or I got a dud.   I'm thinking of doing a separate thread and posting some test shots to gauge consensus from the group...

afwares's gear list:afwares's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Pentax K100D Fujifilm X-T20 Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +3 more
fpessolano
fpessolano Veteran Member • Posts: 3,189

Honestly, after I bought the 55-200 I sold my 90/2 and lost any interest in the 50-140.

Sure they other two are better, but this zoom is light, small enough and performs very well. At least for a non-pro family guy

-- hide signature --

https://500px.com/fpessolano
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fpessolano/
PS: No reply from me, I guess you are in my ignore list

fpessolano's gear list:fpessolano's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Z7 Fujifilm X-T3 +1 more
third son
third son Senior Member • Posts: 2,413

afwares wrote:

Wow, nice shots. I guess that's what we'd call getting a good copy. Nothing at all wrong with that one. Kudos on some seriously good shots, especially the peacock vaping.

Thanks!

third son's gear list:third son's gear list
Sony a7 II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +16 more
third son

Thanks Jerry. I also have the 100-400 when not traveling. The 55-200mm is just so convenient!

Sony a7 II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +16 more
third son

afwares wrote:

@third son, how much PP is built into those shots? I'm looking at photos I've taken at 200mm on my lens, and all the sharpness test shots I've done, and either you got the best copy of this lens that Fuji ever produced or I got a dud. I'm thinking of doing a separate thread and posting some test shots to gauge consensus from the group...

Nothing is 'built in' . I am not even sure what that means:-|  I used capture one to develop the raw files. Nothing fancy.

By "built in" I was asking if those shots had a lot of post-processing added to them, i.e. sharpening, texture enhancement, etc. or if they were SOOC pix.   They're really good, so good that my first gut response to myself was "why don't my pix look that good!?"

Fujifilm X30 Pentax K100D Fujifilm X-T20 Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +3 more
third son

afwares wrote:

By "built in" I was asking if those shots had a lot of post-processing added to them, i.e. sharpening, texture enhancement, etc. or if they were SOOC pix. They're really good, so good that my first gut response to myself was "why don't my pix look that good!?"

I always shoot raw. I process with Capture One 11. I sharpen with NIK free output sharpener. Oh and I purchased my lens used. I  don't spend a lot of time on processing.

third son wrote:

afwares wrote:

By "built in" I was asking if those shots had a lot of post-processing added to them, i.e. sharpening, texture enhancement, etc. or if they were SOOC pix. They're really good, so good that my first gut response to myself was "why don't my pix look that good!?"

I always shoot raw. I process with Capture One 11. I sharpen with NIK free output sharpener. Oh and I purchased my lens used. I don't spend a lot of time on processing.

Interesting...I have the whole NIK suite, but haven't made good use of the sharpening module yet.   I'll work on that.   Glad I ran into your post.

Mikegee Regular Member • Posts: 152

Truman Prevatt wrote:

The 50-140 f2.8 is all anyone could want from in a lens.

It is a fixed aperture zoom

It is fast for a zoom in that range

All the zooming is completely internal - the lens does not extend.

All the things I look for in a zoom. On the other hand it is heavy and not the type of lens I would consider throwing in a bag and walking around with. My 50-140 I use a lot but I often don't take it along because of the size and weight. Lugging that thing around on a hike would require either renting a Sherpa or buying a Yak

I have looked at the 55-200 a couple of times. The faults I find with this lens are

Variable aperture

It is slower than molasses - outside on a cold day in Maine

The zooming is external - namely the lens grows as you zoom out.

All three of these I detest in a lens.

However, I just got mine and tried it out. The huge benefit of this lens is it is about the size of my 90 f2 - even the same filter size. From what I seen here and in testing of it is sharp enough (maybe not to the standards of the 50-140 but still very good) and has a nice rendering (for a slow lens). This lens I will throw in my bag and take it with me a lot more often.

I took a shot of the light switch indoors at 1/10s using my H1 and the OIS/IBIS combination works quite well. Outdoor shots were sharp with good contrast.

Given the price at B&H I decided to take a risk with it. I'm quite pleased and I don't have to worry about what to feed a Yak

You have seemed to forget it's on sale for $499.00 and sharp as a tac @ 200mm. Big bang for the buck IMHO.

Mikegee's gear list:Mikegee's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Truman Prevatt
OP Truman Prevatt Veteran Member • Posts: 9,264

Mikegee wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

The 50-140 f2.8 is all anyone could want from in a lens.

It is a fixed aperture zoom

It is fast for a zoom in that range

All the zooming is completely internal - the lens does not extend.

All the things I look for in a zoom. On the other hand it is heavy and not the type of lens I would consider throwing in a bag and walking around with. My 50-140 I use a lot but I often don't take it along because of the size and weight. Lugging that thing around on a hike would require either renting a Sherpa or buying a Yak

I have looked at the 55-200 a couple of times. The faults I find with this lens are

Variable aperture

It is slower than molasses - outside on a cold day in Maine

The zooming is external - namely the lens grows as you zoom out.

All three of these I detest in a lens.

However, I just got mine and tried it out. The huge benefit of this lens is it is about the size of my 90 f2 - even the same filter size. From what I seen here and in testing of it is sharp enough (maybe not to the standards of the 50-140 but still very good) and has a nice rendering (for a slow lens). This lens I will throw in my bag and take it with me a lot more often.

I took a shot of the light switch indoors at 1/10s using my H1 and the OIS/IBIS combination works quite well. Outdoor shots were sharp with good contrast.

Given the price at B&H I decided to take a risk with it. I'm quite pleased and I don't have to worry about what to feed a Yak

You have seemed to forget it's on sale for $499.00 and sharp as a tac @ 200mm. Big bang for the buck IMHO.

In fact when I checked the weight out on B&H, I noticed the sale price of 499 compared to the approximate 3 times that for the 50-140.  That was a big reason I decided to give it a try.  It is half the weight of the 50-140 (about the same size as the 90) and 1/3 the price.

Couldn't go wrong there.  It's not the 50-140 but it is damn good for good light and you don't care that it is slow. From my limited experience so far - it is well worth the investment.  I can't remember when I have ever had the need shoot at 200 on an APS-C.  The longest lens I had on my Nikon 135 format was 180.  Even if soft at 200 - I probably won't ever notice.

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +9 more

After seeing some of the photos other posters took with the 55-200mm, I ran some sharpness tests of my own at 200mm, both indoors and outdoors, at both MFD and about 15ft.   It's plenty sharp at f4.8 and 5.6, but the sweet spot (at least on mine) at 200mm is at f6.4.

Truman Prevatt
OP Truman Prevatt Veteran Member • Posts: 9,264

afwares wrote:

third son wrote:

afwares wrote:

I always shoot raw. I process with Capture One 11. I sharpen with NIK free output sharpener. Oh and I purchased my lens used. I don't spend a lot of time on processing.

Interesting...I have the whole NIK suite, but haven't made good use of the sharpening module yet. I'll work on that. Glad I ran into your post.

Nik's output sharpening module is awesome!  For printing it is my last step.  It has defined sharpening based on the paper type (matt vs. glossy vs. semigloss) on print DPI and even viewing distance.  All come with sliders to fine tune.

The display sharpening is similar.

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +9 more

I will spend more time with it.   If I run up against something I don't understand, I may come back and ask for some help.  Clearly, I'm missing the boat here.   TIA.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads