Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Don_D
Don_D Forum Pro • Posts: 20,658
Flag Day

Flag Day

-- hide signature --

Don

Don_D's gear list:Don_D's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +3 more
jouni123 Senior Member • Posts: 2,246
Re: Flag Day

Activity that has lot of manners how to do it right, lift a flag in pole. When I was in scouting, it was important, flag will not touch land. This is nice memory, it's value will grow during years. Nice plus, the other flag on background, jouni

jouni123's gear list:jouni123's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +11 more
Kung Fu
Kung Fu Senior Member • Posts: 3,347

Don_D wrote:

Flag Day

I like this photo Don. Nice composition with the two flags, nice human element, and the rich golden hour light.

Kung Fu's gear list:Kung Fu's gear list
Nikon D750
Don_D
OP Don_D Forum Pro • Posts: 20,658
jouni and Kung Fu, thanks for the comments n/t
-- hide signature --

Don

Sony RX100 Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +3 more
SteveS58 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,650
Re: jouni and Kung Fu, thanks for the comments n/t

Don_D wrote:

This has a Norman Rockwell feel to it, the kind of scene that he would have painted.  A classic scene, well done.

Steve

-- hide signature --

Steve Schulman
Steve Schulman Photography

Don_D

SteveS58 wrote:

Don_D wrote:

This has a Norman Rockwell feel to it, the kind of scene that he would have painted. A classic scene, well done.

Hey Steve, much appreciated comment.  I enjoy Rockwell's illustrations: they're bringing higher and higher prices these days.  I live within driving distance of the Norman Rockwell Museum.

-- hide signature --

Don

SteveS58 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,650

Don_D wrote:

SteveS58 wrote:

Don_D wrote:

This has a Norman Rockwell feel to it, the kind of scene that he would have painted. A classic scene, well done.

Hey Steve, much appreciated comment. I enjoy Rockwell's illustrations: they're bringing higher and higher prices these days. I live within driving distance of the Norman Rockwell Museum.

Hey Don, I've been to the Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge too.  It's a gem.

Steve

-- hide signature --

Steve Schulman
Steve Schulman Photography

Zubu Barunda Senior Member • Posts: 2,928

Don_D wrote:

Flag Day

Hi Don. It is a beautiful photograph and I like it a lot. The colour and the composition are wonderful. Your photograph is a perfect example of the American Realism, it deserves to be printed and hanged on the wall. I would love to have it on the wall in my house, which is probably the best test how good a piece of art is.

fad
fad Forum Pro • Posts: 17,348

Don_D wrote:

SteveS58 wrote:

Don_D wrote:

Hey Steve, much appreciated comment. I enjoy Rockwell's illustrations: they're bringing higher and higher prices these days. I live within driving distance of the Norman Rockwell Museum.

I second (third?) the endorsement of the Rockwell museum.   My learned wife introduced me to the Clark Institute, but it was the Rockwell museum that opened my eyes to the depth of his vision, which I find influencing my thinking from time to time.

The odds are good that R would have not had much use for Trump, but there is something in the air now that embraces both of them.    Sullivan's take on the debates and on how gays are currently losing support among the young are part of the same story.

For me, growing up in marginal Manhattan and going to elite schools, discovering my American identity has been gradual -- living abroad makes one feel very American.  And, to be honest, the Rockwell museum had a similar effect.

-- hide signature --

Frank
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/
Photos look better in Original Size
Shot in downtown Manhattan, mostly

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +23 more
fad
fad Forum Pro • Posts: 17,348

Zubu Barunda wrote:

Don_D wrote:

Flag Day

Hi Don. It is a beautiful photograph and I like it a lot. The colour and the composition are wonderful. Your photograph is a perfect example of the American Realism, it deserves to be printed and hanged on the wall. I would love to have it on the wall in my house, which is probably the best test how good a piece of art is.

I completely agree.  This reminds me more of some photographs I have seen in museums of American postwar color photography than it does of Rockwell.  To be honest, a few years ago, I thought you could never make a photo of this quality.   I'm glad I was wrong, and that you persevered.   You should be very proud of yourself.

-- hide signature --

Frank
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/
Photos look better in Original Size
Shot in downtown Manhattan, mostly

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +23 more
Don_D

Zubu Barunda wrote:

Don_D wrote:

Flag Day

Thank you Zubu. Your comments mean a lot to me, especially coming from such a talented photographer as you.

I have to say that that I knew this was a pleasing image, but all of the comments posted have caused me to look more closely at the composition and see more clearly the verticals, horizontals, and the diagonals of the image as well as the obvious relationship of the flags wrt to one another, one pointing to the other, it’s echo.....and then there's the figures and the story....Thanks all.

-- hide signature --

Don

Don_D

fad wrote:

Zubu Barunda wrote:

Don_D wrote:

Flag Day

I completely agree. This reminds me more of some photographs I have seen in museums of American postwar color photography than it does of Rockwell. To be honest, a few years ago, I thought you could never make a photo of this quality.

LOL. This photo was taken in 2007, twelve years ago.

I'm glad I was wrong, and that you persevered.

You should be very proud of yourself.

Thank you Frank, I'm glad that you appreciate my image.

You know the old saying: "Even a blind squirrel sometimes finds a nut".

-- hide signature --

Don

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads