85 or the 105 1.4's for Landscape?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
mbrphoto Regular Member • Posts: 100
85 or the 105 1.4's for Landscape?

Hey all - I have been eyeing up the 105 for the obvious portrait reasons but am wondering if anyone has any experience with it,or the 85,  for landscapes?  One of the use cases is for multi-row panoramas at F8/11 etc..

Thanks!

mbrphoto's gear list:mbrphoto's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 13,394
Re: 85 or the 105 1.4's for Landscape?

mbrphoto wrote:

Hey all - I have been eyeing up the 105 for the obvious portrait reasons but am wondering if anyone has any experience with it,or the 85, for landscapes? One of the use cases is for multi-row panoramas at F8/11 etc..

Thanks!

Unless you want to omit the foreground in your panos or don't mind a blurry foreground, you'll need to focus stack a lot at either of those two focal lengths.  Focus stacking adds a huge amount of work and doesn't work well much of the time.  The D850 does about a 1-2 GB tiff pano with everything in focus from roughly 20mm to 50 in a single row.

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
OP mbrphoto Regular Member • Posts: 100

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Unless you want to omit the foreground in your panos or don't mind a blurry foreground, you'll need to focus stack a lot at either of those two focal lengths. Focus stacking adds a huge amount of work and doesn't work well much of the time. The D850 does about a 1-2 GB tiff pano with everything in focus from roughly 20mm to 50 in a single row.

Was thinking more for distance photos, cityscape type pano.  Thx

Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +2 more
MrWinnieThePooh Regular Member • Posts: 167

I often use the 85mm f/1.8G  for landscape purposes - normally in situations where I want compressed perspective. It is significantly smaller and lighter than the 85mm f/1.4G  and, for this purpose, the maximum aperture is normally irrelevant.

I haven't tried the 105mm f/1.4G, but it might also be a useful option, although the size and weight are a detraction.

MrWinnieThePooh's gear list:MrWinnieThePooh's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +5 more
mbecke Senior Member • Posts: 1,049

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

mbrphoto wrote:

Hey all - I have been eyeing up the 105 for the obvious portrait reasons but am wondering if anyone has any experience with it,or the 85, for landscapes? One of the use cases is for multi-row panoramas at F8/11 etc..

Thanks!

Unless you want to omit the foreground in your panos or don't mind a blurry foreground, you'll need to focus stack a lot at either of those two focal lengths. Focus stacking adds a huge amount of work and doesn't work well much of the time. The D850 does about a 1-2 GB tiff pano with everything in focus from roughly 20mm to 50 in a single row.

I have not done well with the Nikon 85 f1.4G as there is a lot of CA.  But it was not a focal length issue.

Art Jacks Veteran Member • Posts: 3,015

On my recent visit to Switzerland I used my 105 for approx 90% of my images, the remaining 10% were taken with my 58, I prefer a more detailed landscape image rather than the wide approach but that is just a personal thing, a few images below.

-- hide signature --

No introductions, no explanations, no justifications, all I ask is that you give each image a little of your time.

GoBucks
GoBucks Regular Member • Posts: 217

You know...I don't use it often...but I find the 85 useful wide or nearly wide open at times in my landscape work...

Not the 1.4...but I use the 105 2.8 on occasion too..very sharp...I assume the 1.4 is even sharper

GoBucks's gear list:GoBucks's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +22 more
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 5,120

mbrphoto wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Was thinking more for distance photos, cityscape type pano. Thx

Since you will be using them at distance hopefully someone will tell you how those lenses are optimized for distance sharpness vs. up closer as in portraits.  I would think the 85 might be optimized for portrait distances for example.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
"I bet we'll find hints of extraterrestrial life before 2030" - Jamie Shreeve, Popular Science

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
RBFresno
RBFresno Forum Pro • Posts: 12,672
105 1.4 for Landscape (Pics!)

mbrphoto wrote:

Thanks!

Hi!

I find that the 105 1.4 works fine for landscapes

This pic of San Francisco is from two stitched images (hence the screwy exposure time and focal length in the EXIF courtesy of PTGUI ):

Merced River in the lower Yosemite Valley:

Sunset in Cambria, on the Central California Coast:

Boats at f/1.4:

Same scene at f/8:

Landscape at f/1.4:

Same scene at f/16:

Lily pads and Flower

Autumn Leaves in Yosemite Valley (note lack of CA with branches):

California; East Slope of Sierra Nevada Mounatains , looking toward direction of Lake Sabrina:

And, as you stated, the 105 1.4 is nice for portraits, even casual ones:

Best Regards,

RB

http://www.dpreview.com/members/2305099006/challenges
https://www.nikonimages.com/member-photos/532

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D4 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +17 more
OP mbrphoto Regular Member • Posts: 100

That's what I was thinking, wanted to make sure there wasn't significant degradation getting towards f8 etc...

RBFresno
RBFresno Forum Pro • Posts: 12,672
Re: 105 1.4 for "distance" subjects

Ernie Misner wrote:

mbrphoto wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Was thinking more for distance photos, cityscape type pano. Thx

Since you will be using them at distance hopefully someone will tell you how those lenses are optimized for distance sharpness vs. up closer as in portraits. I would think the 85 might be optimized for portrait distances for example.

Hi!

The 105 1.4 is excellent at "distance". Superb for portraits.

In my experience ("my experience" being just a gestalt rather than as skilled lens tester!), the 105 1.4 is just slightly softens a bit near minimum focusing distance if used wide open (f/1.4). But it's still very usable even close up at f/1.4. Just very narrow DOF to deal with,

The 105 1.4 does a lot of things very well, although it's not the fastest focusing lens. Certainly not just limited to portrait use.

RB

http://www.dpreview.com/members/2305099006/challenges
https://www.nikonimages.com/member-photos/532

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D4 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads