Missing lenses, missing updates.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Luke Forrest Contributing Member • Posts: 506
Re: missing updates e.g. Noctiron 42.5

iano wrote:

Clearly, lots of people desire lenses beyond those already available, but I also hold back on some existing lenses because they lack features of newer lenses, even though there may be no newer equivalent.

There have been several technology updates that Panasonic and Olympus could trickle down to drive more sales. It should be far less expensive to tweak an existing lens than develop a new one from scratch.

An example is weather sealing. Some lenses have seen updates that introduce weather seal, but for example, the quite upmarket Noctiron 42.5mm. I have looked at buying this, but the lens is 5 years old starting to show its age in lacking weather sealing.

Yes the 42.5mm 1.2 and 15mm 1.7 Leica lenses should have weather sealing. They are premium lenses. The 25mm 1.4 and perhaps the 45mm 2.8 Leica lenses should have aperture rings and metal bodies like the other Leica lenses. Im a little surprised it hasn't been done yet. It seems like an easy way for Panasonic to resell older lenses. Optically they are already great, so don't even need to change that.

Now Panasonic has a lens with a manual focus clutch. I think this is another technology worthy of driving updates.

At one time Olympus had IBIS and Panasonic had IS lenses. Now both companies have both, but several Olympus lenses could be more appealing if they added IS.

Another interesting technology for m43 is the collapsible lens such as the much loved 12-32 ... why are there not more collapsible lenses? Several posts have mentioned a desire for lenses that are smaller at some focal lengths to enable a smaller carry size- but why not smaller at ALL focal lengths like the 12-32mm?

NextShowForSure Contributing Member • Posts: 765
Re: Missing lenses, missing updates.

iano wrote:

bdesj wrote:

At entry level I think Olympus desperately need an affordable compact lens wider than 28mm equivalent.

I could go for an economical 12mm prime. AF would be nice, but its really the size of the Chinese (Korean?) cine lenses that keep me away, rather than the MF. On the other hand, I am grateful that 12mm-bottomed zooms have so many options at all price points, so not a life and death situation.

If you want compact 12mm and it does not need to be fast then the 12-32mm panasonic could be suitable....not prime, but compact anyway

It would still be nice to be able to get an affordable Olympus body with a compact 12mm 3x zoom already on it with MF if you want it. They do seem out of kilter with the rest of the market in this respect.

Lars101x Regular Member • Posts: 343

I would like a 200mm f2 or possibly 200mm f1.8 by Olympus compatible with both 1.4x and 2x TC.

Lars101x's gear list:Lars101x's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +5 more
magnesus3 Regular Member • Posts: 415
Re: Missing lenses: wide angle autofocus prime

gary0319 wrote:

Luke Forrest wrote:

iano wrote:

Currently there are so many solutions for 12mm lenses it is crazy, but only a few quite large zooms that go any wider, plus some 3rd party manual focus lenses.

Who else would like a 6 or 7 or 8 mm prime with autofocus?

Don't really think you need autofocus on a lens that wide. The laowa 7.5mm f2 covers that range and is small and light. A 10mm f2 on the other hand would be nice.

I had high hopes for the Laowa 7.5mm, but unfortunately the copy I received was unable to get sharp focus on foreground objects. I suspect this was an individual copy problem, but I ended up swapping it for the Olympus 8mm 1.8 fisheye Pro, which is autofocus,

I'd quite like to see a new 20mm lens. I'd welcome a 1.4 version with better autofocus.

I'd also like to see something like a Leica 35-140mm 2.8-4. The Olympus 40-150 is too big and the Panasonic 35-100 2.8 range is a little short. It would make an excellent pairing with the 8-18.

Must have been your copy. I consider my Laowa 7.5 to be a bit better than my 7-14 Pro, less flare and a bit more uniform sharpness (worse vignetting though and the distortion isn't autocorrected). Love how small it is since I mostly do travel photography.

Belgarchi Senior Member • Posts: 1,696
10mm f/2.0 (n/t)

No text.

Belgarchi's gear list:Belgarchi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Leica D-Lux 7 Olympus PEN-F Fujifilm X-T20 Pentax KP +78 more
gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,056
Re: Missing lenses: wide angle autofocus prime

magnesus3 wrote:

gary0319 wrote:

Luke Forrest wrote:

iano wrote:

Currently there are so many solutions for 12mm lenses it is crazy, but only a few quite large zooms that go any wider, plus some 3rd party manual focus lenses.

Who else would like a 6 or 7 or 8 mm prime with autofocus?

Don't really think you need autofocus on a lens that wide. The laowa 7.5mm f2 covers that range and is small and light. A 10mm f2 on the other hand would be nice.

I had high hopes for the Laowa 7.5mm, but unfortunately the copy I received was unable to get sharp focus on foreground objects. I suspect this was an individual copy problem, but I ended up swapping it for the Olympus 8mm 1.8 fisheye Pro, which is autofocus,

I'd quite like to see a new 20mm lens. I'd welcome a 1.4 version with better autofocus.

I'd also like to see something like a Leica 35-140mm 2.8-4. The Olympus 40-150 is too big and the Panasonic 35-100 2.8 range is a little short. It would make an excellent pairing with the 8-18.

Must have been your copy. I consider my Laowa 7.5 to be a bit better than my 7-14 Pro, less flare and a bit more uniform sharpness (worse vignetting though and the distortion isn't autocorrected). Love how small it is since I mostly do travel photography.

Yes, I do believe it was my copy, only. However as would happen the Olympus trade up sale came on and I returned the Laowa to my dealer and popped for the Olympus 8mm for a couple of hundred more.

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +8 more
bdesj Junior Member • Posts: 26

NextShowForSure wrote:

iano wrote:

If you want compact 12mm and it does not need to be fast then the 12-32mm panasonic could be suitable....not prime, but compact anyway

It would still be nice to be able to get an affordable Olympus body with a compact 12mm 3x zoom already on it with MF if you want it. They do seem out of kilter with the rest of the market in this respect.

I could be wrong, but pretty sure that's the lowest priced lens currently available as part of any Lumix "kit" package.  Or do you mean that you would prefer to see it a little longer, to a full 3X rather than stop at 32mm?

OP iano Senior Member • Posts: 1,767

bdesj wrote:

NextShowForSure wrote:

iano wrote:

I could be wrong, but pretty sure that's the lowest priced lens currently available as part of any Lumix "kit" package. Or do you mean that you would prefer to see it a little longer, to a full 3X rather than stop at 32mm?

Or maybe he just wants Olympus to be offering a similar lens with their kits.

iano's gear list:iano's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +9 more
gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,056

iano wrote:

bdesj wrote:

NextShowForSure wrote:

iano wrote:

I could be wrong, but pretty sure that's the lowest priced lens currently available as part of any Lumix "kit" package. Or do you mean that you would prefer to see it a little longer, to a full 3X rather than stop at 32mm?

I have had both the Panny 12-33 and the Olympus 14-42EZ pancakes. I kept the Olympus because it has a focus ring (I use focus peaking a lot) , but I do miss the 12mm of the Panny. IQ is equal from what I experienced.

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +8 more
bdesj Junior Member • Posts: 26

iano wrote:

Aw, totally missed the Oly point there.  You're probably right.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads