Missing lenses, missing updates.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Auf Reisen Contributing Member • Posts: 600
Re: Missing lenses, missing updates.

burritosandbeer wrote:

Auf Reisen wrote:

A variable aperture, weather-sealed 12-100 under 300g. The 14-150 is not wide enough at the short end and the 12-200 too heavy.

done and done.

panasonic 14-140 II

not quite 12 wide, but longer than 100 long. Variable aperture, weather sealed, and 265g

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1469487-REG/panasonic_h_fsa14140_lumix_g_vario_14_140mm.html

Well, all of that also applies to the Oly 14-150, which I mentioned.

I have the Tamron 14-150. Which isn't weather-sealed, but balances better on small bodies. The only problem I have with it, except for the lack of weather-sealing, is that it is not wide enough. Especially for travel, having that wide a FoV is really important. I constantly run into situations where 14mm simply doesn't cut it.

My argument is that one doesn't need the 150 at the long end as often as the 12 on the short end. The lens is too slow for action anyway, and even 150 is too short for most wildlife. 12-100 is a perfect range, but Oly's pro version is too large and heavy to be a good travel companion.

Auf Reisen's gear list:Auf Reisen's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Tamron 14-150mm F/3.5-5.8 Di III Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
burritosandbeer Regular Member • Posts: 162

I'd love to see a few more pancake options.  I have an EPL6 that I love to use with small lenses, but outside the powered 14-42s or the 12-32 and a few others (20mm, 14mm) I think there's definitely room for some more pancake lenses for the smaller rangefinder bodies....

Would love a 40mm fast prime pancake, or the like

burritosandbeer's gear list:burritosandbeer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
Walt_A Senior Member • Posts: 2,099
Re: For wildlife

Chris R-UK wrote:

I would like to go the other way and, like the Canon L series, have a second rank of telephoto lenses, smaller and slower, but still with high quality optics. A 300 mm f/5.6 for example or an M4/3 version of the Canon 70-300mm L.

I'd like to see something like that. I'm not sure about the 5.6 though, I have the Pentax 300 F4.5 which is around 935g and 160mm long (from https://www.opticallimits.com/pentax/131-pentax-smc-fa-300mm-f45-ed-if-review--lab-test-report). It's sharp on my M43 but of course lacks AF in all but native mount. I know the argument that it could take away sales from the olympus 300 F4 or Panasonic 200 F2.8 but I think those who want to spend that money on larger lenses have done so already. Just leave out the fancy stuff like image stabilisation and extra buttons etc and deliver a smaller, lighter lower cost solution. I'm even happy to give up closer focusing as I could use extension tubes if this brings down cost, size an weight.

Or at least as you've mentioned give us a better optical quality 100-300/75-300 lens.

I would also like a macro lens longer than the 60mm, but don't go overboard and design a mammouth size and weight lens. The 60 is a lovely lens just use the same design principle for a longer one.

drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,058

Messier Object wrote:

a long prime lens not held back by the "Micro Fourthirds must be small" mindset

And yes, IMO the announced 150-400 mm F4.5, besides being a zoom, is too slow to qualify.

Peter

Olympus has patented a 400mm f4 and a 500mm f4, but they may never actually manufacture either since they are making the 150-400mm f4.5

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
Photo Pete Veteran Member • Posts: 4,804
compact pro image quality tele zoom

we’ve got 100-300 and 70-300 range small max aperture zooms which don’t really cut it with regard to speed or absolute image quality at 300mm

We’ve got a 100-400 which is slow at 400 and in which quality drops off at focal lengths longer than 300. It is relatively compact for a 400mm due to it extending as it zooms, but you pay a weight penalty for that less than optimum IQ in the 300-400 range

We’re getting the new Olympus 150-400 F4.5 zoom, which no doubt will be excellent in terms of image quality. But it doesn’t extend whilst zooming so you are effectively carrying a full length 400mm lens around with you.

What I would like to see is a 100-300 f4 or f4.5 lens with stellar image quality at 300mm (so that TCs can be used if needed.... And one which extends when zooming so that the size in your bag is kept to a minimum. Effectively, do what Olympus did with the 12-100, but in the 100-300 range.

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,855
20/1.7 update + small, super wide rectilinear prime
  1. 20/1.7 update with faster & silent AF.  Retain its pancake size.  
  2. 8, 9 or 10mm AF prime with fast aperture...f/2 or faster.  But keep it small.
400trix
400trix Contributing Member • Posts: 626

Messier Object wrote:

Chris R-UK wrote:

I would like to go the other way and, like the Canon L series, have a second rank of telephoto lenses, smaller and slower, but still with high quality optics. A 300 mm f/5.6 for example or an M4/3 version of the Canon 70-300mm L.

IMO MFT already has the smaller and slower lenses, eg the 300mm F4. What I want to see is 350mm F2.8 or 400mm F3.5.

peter

A 350/2.8? Whatever could you be thinking about?

-- hide signature --

Archer in Boulder
God loves the noise just as much as the signal.

400trix's gear list:400trix's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
OP iano Senior Member • Posts: 1,767

400trix wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

Chris R-UK wrote:

IMO MFT already has the smaller and slower lenses, eg the 300mm F4. What I want to see is 350mm F2.8 or 400mm F3.5.

peter

Even a 300mm f2.8 is a big ask. They certainly exist for 35mm FF, and could be a tad easier to make for a smaller image circle, but the Sigma costs over 5k and the Canon and Nikon are around 10k.

I wonder how big the market would be?

Given Olympus has announced the 150-400 4.5 with in built tele to give equivalent of 1000mm on 35mm, there is a quite impressive long tele option in the wings.   The question is how the IS will work on Panasonic bodies.

Perhaps the logical rival to offer would be a slightly shorter but faster similar lens by Panasonic?

iano's gear list:iano's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +9 more
bdesj Junior Member • Posts: 26

At entry level I think Olympus desperately need an affordable compact lens wider than 28mm equivalent.

I could go for an economical 12mm prime. AF would be nice, but its really the size of the Chinese (Korean?) cine lenses that keep me away, rather than the MF. On the other hand, I am grateful that 12mm-bottomed zooms have so many options at all price points, so not a life and death situation.

kcdogger Senior Member • Posts: 2,355
Re: compact pro image quality tele zoom

Photo Pete wrote:

What I would like to see is a 100-300 f4 or f4.5 lens with stellar image quality at 300mm (so that TCs can be used if needed.... And one which extends when zooming so that the size in your bag is kept to a minimum. Effectively, do what Olympus did with the 12-100, but in the 100-300 range.

yeah.  I'd save for that one.

Peace.

John

kcdogger's gear list:kcdogger's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Nikon Coolpix P610 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS100 +21 more
Eric Nepean
Eric Nepean Veteran Member • Posts: 4,366
Compact Tele Prime

Both Canon and Nikon have designed compact telephoto primes using a Fresnel type lens.

A compact 300 or 500mm Fresnel lens would seem a natural fit in the M43 portfolio.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Eric

Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 19,579

iano wrote:

400trix wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

Chris R-UK wrote:

peter

Even a 300mm f2.8 is a big ask. They certainly exist for 35mm FF, and could be a tad easier to make for a smaller image circle, but the Sigma costs over 5k and the Canon and Nikon are around 10k.

Canon, Nikon and Sony all have 400mm f/2.8 lenses.  So, even though they are big and expensive, such lenses are possible.

There is also the huge Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +4 more

bdesj wrote:

At entry level I think Olympus desperately need an affordable compact lens wider than 28mm equivalent.

I could go for an economical 12mm prime. AF would be nice, but its really the size of the Chinese (Korean?) cine lenses that keep me away, rather than the MF. On the other hand, I am grateful that 12mm-bottomed zooms have so many options at all price points, so not a life and death situation.

If you want compact 12mm and it does not need to be fast then the 12-32mm panasonic could be suitable....not prime, but compact anyway

Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +9 more
Messier Object
Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 8,378

iano wrote:

400trix wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

Chris R-UK wrote:

peter

I wonder how big the market would be?

Given Olympus has announced the 150-400 4.5 with in built tele to give equivalent of 1000mm on 35mm, there is a quite impressive long tele option in the wings. The question is how the IS will work on Panasonic bodies.

Perhaps the logical rival to offer would be a slightly shorter but faster similar lens by Panasonic?

As for the 300mm F2.8, Olympus made one for the 4/3 system and no doubt they could use the same optical formula but with new AF motors, stabilisation and lightweight materials. Sure it would be expensive, but no more expensive than the CanonNikon versions.

Regardless, if you are concerned about size and cost then such lenses are not for you.

Peter

bdesj Junior Member • Posts: 26

iano wrote:

If you want compact 12mm and it does not need to be fast then the 12-32mm panasonic could be suitable....not prime, but compact anyway

I have a 12-32 and I like it : )

Still wouldn't mind a 12mm prime just because I enjoyed shooting one so much in pre-digi days.  Honestly, the little zoom works plenty well for me, so I am not willing to spend the price of even a used 12-2.0 just for grin factor.

DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 13,858
Look at the Current Olympus Lens Roadmap

Several lenses are coming.  Mostly Pro lenses.  The only non-Pro lens is a 100-400 lens.  There are numerous Pro lenses.  The zoom zpro lenses are a 9-25, 11-40, 50-220, 60-250 and the 150-400/4.5.  Plus a bar from 12 to 60 for prime lenses.  These lenses are supposed to be released in 2019 and 2020.

I do wish for a fast rectangle ultra wide angle for milky way photography.   Something like a 9 or 10mm f1.8.   A tilt lens would be great.

Anyhow, exciting times ahead.  Only lens on the roadmap that has been released was the 12-200.  So expect couple more lenses this year.

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +38 more
jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 9,432

Long Macro Lens… something like a classic 105mm f2.8 or a 150mm f2.8.

The current Oly 60mm is okay, but not enough working distance for flying bugs.

I use a couple of adapted Nikon AI-S macro lenses for that… 105mm f2.8 and 200mm f4 IF. Both excellent.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 +32 more
Marty4650
Marty4650 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,397
About that 75mm lens

MatLD wrote:

-Drop in price for 75 f1.8 (so that I can afford to buy a lens I will not use much ).

This is the ideal lens to buy used.

Many people bought it because it really is an outstanding lens that got spectacular reviews, then they discovered they weren't using it very much. So they sold it off to some lucky person who wants the lens but cannot justify the full list price of $899.

I bought mine used several years ago for $600, and I have seen them on ebay and Craigslist going for as low as $450 lately. And I am glad I have the lens.

This is really a specialty lens in every sense of the word. Outstanding at what it does, but you might find that you don't use it often enough to justify the cost. But if you need the speed at this focal length, then nothing else will do.

You might feel differently if you snagged one at half the original price.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +14 more
jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 9,432

Weather-sealed 15mm f1.7.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 +32 more
missing updates e.g. Noctiron 42.5

Clearly, lots of people desire lenses beyond those already available, but I also hold back on some existing lenses because they lack features of newer lenses, even though there may be no newer equivalent.

There have been several technology updates that Panasonic and Olympus could trickle down to drive more sales.  It should be far less expensive to tweak an existing lens than develop a new one from scratch.

An example is weather sealing.  Some lenses have seen updates that introduce weather seal, but for example, the quite upmarket Noctiron 42.5mm.  I have looked at buying this, but the lens is 5 years old starting to show its age in lacking weather sealing.

Now Panasonic has a lens with a manual focus clutch.  I think this is another technology worthy of driving updates.

At one time Olympus had IBIS and Panasonic had IS lenses.  Now both companies have both, but several Olympus lenses could be more appealing if they added IS.

Another interesting technology for m43 is the collapsible lens such as the much loved 12-32 ... why are there not more collapsible lenses?  Several posts have mentioned a desire for lenses that are smaller at some focal lengths to enable a smaller carry size- but why not smaller at ALL focal lengths like the 12-32mm?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads