How do I achieve high speed continuous shooting in Live View (80D)?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Bill_Edmunds Forum Member • Posts: 63
How do I achieve high speed continuous shooting in Live View (80D)?

When I'm in Live View and try to use high speed continuous shooting with my 80D, pressing the shutter results in one shutter release and a black screen until I lift my finger off the shutter button. I've tried different lenses, different f-stop settings, turning off IS, using manual focus, etc. I'm clearly doing something wrong. Can anyone help?

On a related note, can anyone recommend a LCD viewfinder for the 80D?

Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
FooHead Regular Member • Posts: 374
Re: How do I achieve high speed continuous shooting in Live View (80D)?

Bill_Edmunds wrote:

When I'm in Live View and try to use high speed continuous shooting with my 80D, pressing the shutter results in one shutter release and a black screen until I lift my finger off the shutter button. I've tried different lenses, different f-stop settings, turning off IS, using manual focus, etc. I'm clearly doing something wrong. Can anyone help?

On a related note, can anyone recommend a LCD viewfinder for the 80D?

When in live view, press the 'drive' button on the top by the top LCD and select high speed continous.

FooHead's gear list:FooHead's gear list
Canon EOS 1100D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM +2 more
Lemming51
Lemming51 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,037

Bill_Edmunds wrote:

When I'm in Live View and try to use high speed continuous shooting with my 80D, pressing the shutter results in one shutter release and a black screen until I lift my finger off the shutter button. ...

Sounds like you have Silent LV Shooting Mode 2 enabled - p. 272 of the 80D instruction manual.  To do continuous high speed shooting set to Mode 1 or Disable.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more
1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 6,877

Lemming51 wrote:

Bill_Edmunds wrote:

When I'm in Live View and try to use high speed continuous shooting with my 80D, pressing the shutter results in one shutter release and a black screen until I lift my finger off the shutter button. ...

Sounds like you have Silent LV Shooting Mode 2 enabled - p. 272 of the 80D instruction manual. To do continuous high speed shooting set to Mode 1 or Disable.

like they say, when all else fails, read the manual

-- hide signature --

You miss 100 percent of the shots you didn't take!!! "Wayne Gretzky"

OP Bill_Edmunds Forum Member • Posts: 63
Problem solved

That was it! Thanks!

rmexpress22 Contributing Member • Posts: 867

Lemming51 wrote:

Bill_Edmunds wrote:

Sounds like you have Silent LV Shooting Mode 2 enabled - p. 272 of the 80D instruction manual. To do continuous high speed shooting set to Mode 1 or Disable.

Pressing the shutter button really, really, really fast, continuously, would have also worked.

rmexpress22's gear list:rmexpress22's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads