Loving my new (to me) RX10 IV

Started 2 months ago | Photos
okgoldfish New Member • Posts: 8
Loving my new (to me) RX10 IV

I was between getting this (luxury) camera and a Canon sx50/sx70. I really just want to see animals up close. Obviously this camera can't compare to the reach of the Canons, but the quality and the focusing abilities are tremendous. Highly recommend (photos are straight out of camera JPEGS)

okgoldfish's gear list:okgoldfish's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Paul Barchilon
Paul Barchilon Junior Member • Posts: 38
Re: Loving my new (to me) RX10 IV

Terrific pics, I love mine too! Awesome cameras.

Bassy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,911

is that fishing line that i can see in the second shot, looks like you shoot the same stuff as i do, i have my rx10 set up like the video below, to me this means that i can be taking birds in trees sat down and shooting in flexible focus area and when i see the bird take off

i press the AEL button with my thumb and keep my thumb pressed in i am then in

wide focus area and using the settings that i have saved catching the bird in mid air all this is done in about 1 second and my eye never leaves the evf

i set my camera up like that from day one and it works perfectly for my needs its the same set up for the rx10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuzc98f-bZ4

Bryan
Bryan Senior Member • Posts: 2,390

So am I. Only had mine a few days but loving it. Ideal for an older person (me) and after my Ogston Reservoir visit this Thursday (weather permitting) it will be make your mind up time. My Canon 7D MkII as great as it is (see gear list) is now just too heavy for me. The RX10IV is excellent and I am more than happy with images, and especially the lack of weight: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmEqHt8L

I didn't even see the fly when photographing the plant, nor did I see all of the spiders webs around the Magpie area?

All hand held RAW images and processed in DxO PhotoLab2.

My set of cheap close-up lenses arrived this morning but it is like the Black Hole of Calcutta and raining heavily and certainly not lens testing weather I will update on Thursday (forecast looks good) and get my Canon kit boxed up for sale I feel?

-- hide signature --

Bryan
Box-Brownie and other stuff.
Still looking for a digital back for my Box Brownie.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bryang9/

Bryan's gear list:Bryan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Sony RX10 IV DxO Optics Pro Elite Samsung Galaxy S7 edge Apple iPhone XS Max +3 more
Suzatlarge Regular Member • Posts: 161

Bryan wrote:

My set of cheap close-up lensesarrived this morning but it is like the Black Hole of Calcutta and raining heavily and certainly not lens testing weather I will update on Thursday (forecast looks good) and get my Canon kit boxed up for sale I feel?

Nice images from both of you. I got my RX10iv as an open box buy from B&H a month ago. Pleasantly surprised by the quality of images I'm getting so far. It's not a featherweight camera but certainly smaller/lighter than my Sony A7Rii + a long lens.

Bryan, do you mind sharing the details of the close-up lenses you've bought? My stylish friends roll their eyes at my lack of interest in accessorizing when it comes to clothes. But camera gear - that's another thing altogether. 

Suzatlarge's gear list:Suzatlarge's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +9 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 42,805

The superior lens and sensor quality of the RX10iv holds up much better to cropping or digital CIZ zoom which negates the optical zoom advantage of the SX70.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
Horacecoker Senior Member • Posts: 2,452

Bassy wrote:

is that fishing line that i can see in the second shot, looks like you shoot the same stuff as i do, i have my rx10 set up like the video below, to me this means that i can be taking birds in trees sat down and shooting in flexible focus area and when i see the bird take off

i press the AEL button with my thumb and keep my thumb pressed in i am then in

wide focus area and using the settings that i have saved catching the bird in mid air all this is done in about 1 second and my eye never leaves the evf

i set my camera up like that from day one and it works perfectly for my needs its the same set up for the rx10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuzc98f-bZ4

Thanks for the video link. I've just set my RX10iv up to recall a set of custom setting by pressing the AEL button but I find there are limitations and an anomaly that has me baffled!

I'm peeved I can't have the exact setting I use for BIF when using Reg Cust Shoot Set.

In normal memory recall area 1 I have all my settings for perched birds and in mem 2 I have settings for BIF. For perched birds I have ISO AUTO Min SS set to Fast but for BIF I have it set to Faster. For perched birds I have IS (image stabilization) On but for BIF I prefer it to be Off. So if I'm photographing perched birds and press AEL button for the Custom Hold 1 setting (BIF), I don't get IS Off or ISO Min SS as Faster. I get my perched birds settings! There is no facility to set them differently in Reg Custom Shoot Set!!

The baffling anomaly is why the camera defaults to frame rate Hi (24 FPS) when I press the AEL button to recall my Custom Hold 1 settings. I don't want Hi, I prefer Mid (10 FPS).

So for me, there are limitations with this feature simply because Sony only allow you to alter nine individual settings for this feature whereas there are 21 pages of setting that can be applied to the normal memory recalls.

One thing that is very good is the fact that using this feature ignores what the focus mode switch is set on. So if you set AF-C in the settings for Reg Custom Shoot Set, it wouldn't matter if you had AF-S or AF-A set on the dail, it would be in AF-C all the time your finger is pressed on the button (AEL button in mine and your case).

David

Horacecoker's gear list:Horacecoker's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2
Bryan
Bryan Senior Member • Posts: 2,390

Suzatlarge wrote:

Bryan wrote:

My set of cheap close-up lensesarrived this morning but it is like the Black Hole of Calcutta and raining heavily and certainly not lens testing weather I will update on Thursday (forecast looks good) and get my Canon kit boxed up for sale I feel?

Nice images from both of you. I got my RX10iv as an open box buy from B&H a month ago. Pleasantly surprised by the quality of images I'm getting so far. It's not a featherweight camera but certainly smaller/lighter than my Sony A7Rii + a long lens.

Bryan, do you mind sharing the details of the close-up lenses you've bought? My stylish friends roll their eyes at my lack of interest in accessorizing when it comes to clothes. But camera gear - that's another thing altogether.

I hope this link is OK: (Not yet tested but they all look clean and clear

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JMLBA9I/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_3p_dp_1

-- hide signature --

Bryan
Box-Brownie and other stuff.
Still looking for a digital back for my Box Brownie.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bryang9/

Bryan's gear list:Bryan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Sony RX10 IV DxO Optics Pro Elite Samsung Galaxy S7 edge Apple iPhone XS Max +3 more
Suzatlarge Regular Member • Posts: 161

Bryan wrote:

I hope this link is OK: (Not yet tested but they all look clean and clear

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JMLBA9I/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_3p_dp_1

Thanks! I look forward to your report after you have tried them.

Suzatlarge's gear list:Suzatlarge's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +9 more
Bassy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,911

well explained david i don't know the answer  frame rate, and i dont fancy going back into the menu  to see if i could obtain what you are afters consider myself lucky that i could set up the AEL button  to what i wanted in the first place lol

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads