Cant decide if a speed booster or the 35mm 1,4

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
solamnus
solamnus Senior Member • Posts: 1,568
Cant decide if a speed booster or the 35mm 1,4

Just pondering over what lens to get at this moment. I have been looking for a used 35 for some time now, but a good copy have not showed up here. Might get a hold of one in middle of july from a guy selling one then. Otherwise i have seen a Nikon to Fuji X speed booster on sale that i have been quite keen on. have some great vintage lenses like the 28mm 2,8 Ai-s and the 105mm 2,5 Ai-s from nikon that would be cool to try on the Fuji X-T3.

So kind of deciding which would bring me most fun at this point in time. I DO think the AF( even if not that fast! ) would come in handy for my baby photography so the vintage lenses from Nikon would be more of a fun thing perhaps, not sure

solamnus's gear list:solamnus's gear list
Nikon Df Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +4 more
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
G River
G River Regular Member • Posts: 106
Re: Cant decide if a speed booster or the 35mm 1,4

I have both..the 35mm 1.4 is awesome but truthfully i use my vintage glass waaaaay more as i'm coming from the Sony A7 series i wanted to have that full frame for all my vintage glass and with exception of Konica hexanon or m39/ltm mounts you''ll have more versatility from the different lenses especially with that extra stop gained..at some point you could always get the 35mm 1.4 anyway.

G River's gear list:G River's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a7 II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM +47 more
solamnus
OP solamnus Senior Member • Posts: 1,568

G River wrote:

I have both..the 35mm 1.4 is awesome but truthfully i use my vintage glass waaaaay more as i'm coming from the Sony A7 series i wanted to have that full frame for all my vintage glass and with exception of Konica hexanon or m39/ltm mounts you''ll have more versatility from the different lenses especially with that extra stop gained..at some point you could always get the 35mm 1.4 anyway.

Ok interesting  😊

and you find that the booster also works great on your cameras with the lenses mounted etc?

Nikon Df Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +4 more
markusw
markusw Senior Member • Posts: 1,387

Do you need AF? If not, I would go for the Fuji and a cheap adaptor.

Otherwise... if you have a choice, get both

-- hide signature --
 markusw's gear list:markusw's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
a_c_skinner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,129

The 35mm 1.4 AF is excellent, don't fall for the reviews.  A good speedbooster is not cheap, get the 35 1.4

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
jjcpa Regular Member • Posts: 327

a_c_skinner wrote:

The 35mm 1.4 AF is excellent, don't fall for the reviews. A good speedbooster is not cheap, get the 35 1.4

I agree this. Get 35mm 1.4AF. I don't have speedbooster but have lens turbo II Nikon to Fuji and several AI/AI-s/Pre-AI lenses.  I like 35mm/1.4 AF.

SiFu
SiFu Veteran Member • Posts: 5,905

Hello!

I have been into adapting my old lenses ever since entering digital in the early 2000s - doing so on the Fuji X cameras is a lot of fun and uncomplicated (I do come from an all manual background though). I have never owned a dedicated lens for any of my Fuji bodies (or my MFT bodies either), but invested in a couple of Metabones Speedbooster. These are brilliant pieces of equipment in my opinion.

On the Fuji X cameras I have also tried a Lens Turbo II for the first time (for M42 lenses) and have to say I really like it as well.

Paired with a 58mm f/2.0 Helios you get some nice swirly bokeh (for example). I also like to use the Speedbosters/LensTurbo for dyi pinhole shooting - also loads of fun.

Best,

Alex

-- hide signature --

carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

solamnus

markusw wrote:

Do you need AF? If not, I would go for the Fuji and a cheap adaptor.

Otherwise... if you have a choice, get both

Well, yes and no hehe. I think in the end i WILL get them both at some point. Bot the 35 and some kind of adapter. Just think it would be fun, on the other hand i use my nikkors on my Nikon Df which is fun and a great combo as well. Just thought the extra focus peaking and everything else on the X-T3 could be fun and useful that the DF don't. Also even though the Df is smaller than the average DSLR the Fuji with those lenses would be a great little street shooting package to walk around with. Only thing is ofc sometimes its great with AF. The 35 would be used a lot for my 8 months old baby, i currently use the 56 and 16 for that but find the 16 a bit too wide for his features at times and almost preferred shooting him with the 56 or my Nikon DF and the 58 there for some nice environmental portraits.

I only have 2 older manual Nikkor lenses, the 28 f28 and the 105 f2,5 which i could use with an adaptor on the Fuji in that case.

solamnus

A guy is selling one now for around 300 EU which is a little better than the original price at least, but yeh...i can also get the 35 for that;)

SiFu
SiFu Veteran Member • Posts: 5,905

Hello!

Just a thought, but doesn't it depend on whether or not you want to add a ~50mm (equiv.) to your lineup? If you really want and use that focal range, the 35 might be a good choice. If you want specific bokeh qualities you might still go the adapted route for that as well though.

If, on the other hand, you don't care for the 50mm look, a Speedbooster would add more flexibility. I for one have never liked the 40-60mm range all that much (although I still like my Noct Nikkors, also on X bodies, for night snaps) and preferrably see the world through my cameras in tele (starting in the 85-105mm range).

So, is the 50mm range what you want and like to shoot in?

Best,

Alex

-- hide signature --

carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

Craig268
Craig268 Senior Member • Posts: 1,083

Speed boosters are terrific tools to adapt  manual lenses. However, be mindful that not all manual lenses will fit well with all speed boosters. This is because some of the aperture pins on some manual lenses will catch on some speed boosters.

This causes either a very tight fit and/or makes it so the aperture ring cannot be turned. That said, some speed boosters do fit well with manual lenses but there are exceptions. The usual remedy is to file down the aperture pin so it doesn't catch on the speed booster.

Due to the variety of speed boosters which exist and the enormous variety of lenses which exist, it's difficult to say whether or not there'll  be a problem with any particular matchup.

Craig268's gear list:Craig268's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +9 more
G River
G River Regular Member • Posts: 106

Yes they work very well with most of my lenses ,i know my nikkor 105mm does have vignetting so does the nikkor 50mm 1.4 but most of my other lenses work exceptionally well..for your kid i think a balance of maybe a cheaper speedbooster or focal reducer and your vintage lenses will give a more timeless look..for that speedbooster price i'd get the 35mm and try a much much cheaper speedbooster,they're usually around 75-80 bucks.

G River's gear list:G River's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a7 II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM +47 more
solamnus

Good question and something i ponder and not sure i have a great answer for

I shoot my 58mm 1,4G a lot on my DF. And with my Fuji i lack something in between the 16mm the 56mm and the 90 mm. Either a zoom that ties it together like the 16-55 or the 35 mm prime as i see it. However, its true that i think the 50 is quite "boring" as a focal length. On my Nikon i always sold my 50 mm lenses after  awhile, had the sigma art and the 50 f1,2 etc. But sold that too. Not sure but i almost always went with wider like 24 or longer like 85 plus.

But i know the 35 is a little bit more fun than the ordinary 50 lens because of its rendering which puts it in a better spot for using than the others i mentioned in my meaning.

So yeh...its something i DO need, but I'm not sure how often it would get used. Maybe the best environmental portrait lens for my newborn for example would be the 23mm 1,4. That IS a great lens but something i sold in the past as well because i then had the 10-24 which i used more.

/martin.

notchy
notchy Regular Member • Posts: 272

a_c_skinner wrote:

The 35mm 1.4 AF is excellent, don't fall for the reviews.

Besides which, as I discovered yesterday, the 35mm f1.4 on the X-T3 (which I see from the OP's gear list he possesses) really does focus noticeably quicker than on the X-T2, even with the latest firmware on the latter. The reports to this effect are entirely accurate as far I'm concerned.

There's less chatter from the focussing motor and focus acquisition is not only significantly faster, but is more decisive as well. I compared the 35mm f1.4 with the 35m f2, and on the X-T3 the 1.4 is now almost as quick to focus as the slower lens ['slower' as in aperture, of course]. Not quite as quick perhaps, but it's close. At least this is the case for static subjects, I haven't tested it in AF-C mode. The X-T3 is also noticeably faster to focus with the 18mm f2 and the 56mm f1.2 as well. (Although the gains for the 56mm, while noticeable, aren't quite as dramatic as for the 35mm).

One of the nicest improvements is that all three seem noticeably quieter. I can't quite tell if this is because the volume is actually lower or the focussing is much quicker and therefore the noise of the motors is less noticeable. I presume the latter must be the case, but my brain is fooled into thinking that they are quieter on the X-T3.

I don't know where Fujifilm's engineers found this extra performance, but found it they have.

[Edited for grammar]

notchy's gear list:notchy's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads