DXO terrible upgrade policy

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
phil from seattle
phil from seattle Senior Member • Posts: 3,229
Re: DXO terrible upgrade policy

hectorsm wrote:

phil from seattle wrote:

I wouldn't count on AP being $49 forever. Their competitors, some with fewer features, are charging significantly higher prices. I wouldn't be surprised to see a $79 or $99 price for 2.0. And, frankly, I'd pay it (or at least the increased upgrade fee).

Even then, you are not force to pay for the update if you don't need it.

Not forced but I will stay current with them.  Plus, given the amount of features showing up in the 0.1 releases, I expect 2.0 will have lots of good stuff.

richdm Contributing Member • Posts: 670

phil from seattle wrote:

richdm wrote:

irv00 wrote:

jmelnikoff wrote:

Back on April 22, 2019, I purchased the Nik software bundle and integrated with my DXO Photolab 2 which was purchased about 2 months prior. My old computer died and decided to buy a new one. I also got tired of Adobe charging fees for "renting" their software which was the reason I stopped paying them. DXO PL2 seemed like a good alternative because it was a perpetual license and it updated their RAW converter seemingly on a regular basis. Purchasing a new camera and being a RAW shooter, I wanted a RAW editor that I didn't have to subscribe to. It's a very good solution. Finally, I was a prior Nik filter user even prior to the acquisition from Google. So I guess somewhere about 10-12 years. So, on June 22, I attended an online workshop where someone was demonstrating Nik version 2. I thought for sure I had V2, but I come to find out I do not. Being that my purchase was only 60 days old, I went to website to get the upgrade. No so fast! They wanted another $59 for the upgrade because my license was over 30 days old. I thought, that had to be a mistake, but that's not the case. After contacting their support via a post on their website, I was told there was nothing they could do as this is their management's policy. I then asked to send me one of their senior management's contact information so that I could express my concerns directly. No response! So...this should be a caution to anyone who decides to purchase anything from DXO, don't expect to be upgraded to another version if you purchased it over 30 days ago. It's a real shame that something which is pretty much common practice in the software industry (upgrades within the first year of purchase) has ruined my experience dealing with DXO. As a side note, the difference between V1 and V2 is fairly minor which is all the more reason I'm so surprised they wouldn't allow me to upgrade at no charge. BUYER BEWARE.

No, this is NOT DxO’s problem or fault. It’s yours for believing you can have the latest and greatest for free.

Whether you like it or not, you have to spend money every year for the rest of your life if you want those attractive new features. So, stop being irrational and look at Adobe with fresh, new, smart eyes.

There is no free lunch.

I purchased Affinity Photo almost 18 months ago now, and just got their latest and greatest for free. I imagine version 2.0 will a paid version (a whopping $49 full retail), but until then, they're continuing to work on fixes and some features for version 1.

Every company is different. Some have a liberal upgrade policy, some don't. My belief is that those who do will be rewarded in the end.

I wouldn't count on AP being $49 forever. Their competitors, some with fewer features, are charging significantly higher prices. I wouldn't be surprised to see a $79 or $99 price for 2.0. And, frankly, I'd pay it (or at least the increased upgrade fee).

Yeah, I agree, it's still worth it at $99.

richdm's gear list:richdm's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Nikon D3300 +2 more
Holger Bargen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,732

Zeee wrote:

It is not seemingly, DXO releases a new version annually and comes with a cost. Same thing happened to me with PL. A few months after getting it PL 2 came out and DXO wouldn't do anything for me. The main reason I got it was for Prime and they stated improvements where made to it in PL 2. I purchased PL as a plug-in for LR but haven't used it for quite a while.

PL is not the only one that does this.

This was the reason why I left DxO years ago.

If you buy a new camera it may not be supported with your DxO version and you have to do the upgrade - even though the latest version is almost same (in my opinion even worse) compared your version which may be just 1 year old.

Holger Bargen's gear list:Holger Bargen's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +6 more
RebDovid2 Regular Member • Posts: 127

richdm wrote:

I purchased Affinity Photo almost 18 months ago now, and just got their latest and greatest for free. I imagine version 2.0 will a paid version (a whopping $49 full retail), but until then, they're continuing to work on fixes and some features for version 1.

Every company is different. Some have a liberal upgrade policy, some don't. My belief is that those who do will be rewarded in the end.

I, too, purchased Affinity Photo 1.6 and received a free upgrade to 1.7. But people who bought the original version of DxO PhotoLab 2 likewise have received free in-version upgrades.

RebDovid2's gear list:RebDovid2's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II Google Pixel 3
Lacko Regular Member • Posts: 406

Holger Bargen wrote:

If you buy a new camera it may not be supported with your DxO version and you have to do the upgrade - even though the latest version is almost same (in my opinion even worse) compared your version which may be just 1 year old.

Cameras (lenses) are supported with DXO Optics modules which can be downloaded into any DXO version.

Lacko's gear list:Lacko's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 8,874

Lacko wrote:

Holger Bargen wrote:

Cameras (lenses) are supported with DXO Optics modules which can be downloaded into any DXO version.

No, optics modules only work with versions of the software released after the module was released. You can't use a new module with an older version of the software.

That's why the release notes for new dot releases list the cameras and lenses newly supported. You have to download and install the new software version before you can use any of the new modules. That's free within one release series, but requires a paid-for upgrade to the next series. Some people complain that, with PhotoLab, DxO isn't adding enough significant new features to justify the upgrade cost.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +18 more
phil from seattle
phil from seattle Senior Member • Posts: 3,229

Digital Nigel wrote:

Lacko wrote:

Holger Bargen wrote:

No, optics modules only work with versions of the software released after the module was released. You can't use a new module with an older version of the software.

That's why the release notes for new dot releases list the cameras and lenses newly supported. You have to download and install the new software version before you can use any of the new modules. That's free within one release series, but requires a paid-for upgrade to the next series. Some people complain that, with PhotoLab, DxO isn't adding enough significant new features to justify the upgrade cost.

I believe you meant "only work with current and later versions of the software released after when the module was released"

I don't think it's unreasonable for them.  Though, more prompt release of new lens and camera support would make it go down easier.

Holger Bargen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,732

Lacko wrote:

Holger Bargen wrote:

Only the lenses can be loaded and there seems to be no limit. But if you try to process a RAW file from a camera that is not on the list of the old DxO version you can't do nothing with that file. It is not just about the support of certain camera-lens combinations which I would accept to be only available for the latest program version - it is even about basic processing steps where no special modules are needed.

Holger Bargen's gear list:Holger Bargen's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +6 more
BillyBobSenna
BillyBobSenna Senior Member • Posts: 2,007

jmelnikoff wrote:

Back on April 22, 2019, I purchased the Nik software bundle and integrated with my DXO Photolab 2 which was purchased about 2 months prior. My old computer died and decided to buy a new one. I also got tired of Adobe charging fees for "renting" their software which was the reason I stopped paying them. DXO PL2 seemed like a good alternative because it was a perpetual license and it updated their RAW converter seemingly on a regular basis. Purchasing a new camera and being a RAW shooter, I wanted a RAW editor that I didn't have to subscribe to. It's a very good solution. Finally, I was a prior Nik filter user even prior to the acquisition from Google. So I guess somewhere about 10-12 years. So, on June 22, I attended an online workshop where someone was demonstrating Nik version 2. I thought for sure I had V2, but I come to find out I do not. Being that my purchase was only 60 days old, I went to website to get the upgrade. No so fast! They wanted another $59 for the upgrade because my license was over 30 days old. I thought, that had to be a mistake, but that's not the case. After contacting their support via a post on their website, I was told there was nothing they could do as this is their management's policy. I then asked to send me one of their senior management's contact information so that I could express my concerns directly. No response! So...this should be a caution to anyone who decides to purchase anything from DXO, don't expect to be upgraded to another version if you purchased it over 30 days ago. It's a real shame that something which is pretty much common practice in the software industry (upgrades within the first year of purchase) has ruined my experience dealing with DXO. As a side note, the difference between V1 and V2 is fairly minor which is all the more reason I'm so surprised they wouldn't allow me to upgrade at no charge. BUYER BEWARE.

Do you really think I should be able to get a free upgrade if a new version comes out 364 days after I bought it? I don't think Microsoft or Apple does this.

-- hide signature --

Bill - Beverly Hills, MI
Motorsports Photography
www.billgulkerphotography.com

BillyBobSenna's gear list:BillyBobSenna's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads