DXO terrible upgrade policy

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
jmelnikoff Forum Member • Posts: 58
DXO terrible upgrade policy

Back on April 22, 2019, I purchased the Nik software bundle and integrated with my DXO Photolab 2 which was purchased about 2 months prior.  My old computer died and decided to buy a new one.  I also got tired of Adobe charging fees for "renting" their software which was the reason I stopped paying them.  DXO PL2 seemed like a good alternative because it was a perpetual license and it updated their RAW converter seemingly on a regular basis.  Purchasing a new camera and being a RAW shooter, I wanted a RAW editor that I didn't have to subscribe to.  It's a very good solution.  Finally, I was a prior Nik filter user even prior to the acquisition from Google.  So I guess somewhere about 10-12 years.  So, on June 22, I attended an online workshop where someone was demonstrating Nik version 2.  I thought for sure I had V2, but I come to find out I do not.  Being that my purchase was only 60 days old, I went to website to get the upgrade.  No so fast!  They wanted another $59 for the upgrade because my license was over 30 days old.  I thought, that had to be a mistake, but that's not the case.  After contacting their support via a post on their website, I was told there was nothing they could do as this is their management's policy.  I then asked to send me one of their senior management's contact information so that I could express my concerns directly.  No response!  So...this should be a caution to anyone who decides to purchase anything from DXO, don't expect to be upgraded to another version if you purchased it over 30 days ago.  It's a real shame that something which is pretty much common practice in the software industry (upgrades within the first year of purchase) has ruined my experience dealing with DXO.  As a side note, the difference between V1 and V2 is fairly minor which is all the more reason I'm so surprised they wouldn't allow me to upgrade at no charge.  BUYER BEWARE.

Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 18,892
Re: DXO terrible upgrade policy

It is not seemingly, DXO releases a new version annually and comes with a cost. Same thing happened to me with PL. A few months after getting it PL 2 came out and DXO wouldn't do anything for me. The main reason I got it was for Prime and they stated improvements where made to it in PL 2. I purchased PL as a plug-in for LR but haven't used it for quite a while.

PL is not the only one that does this.

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +5 more
OP jmelnikoff Forum Member • Posts: 58

It creates ZERO customer loyalty!  And also they just brushed it off as "management policy".  Bad news travels faster than good news.  Buyers need to know what they are getting into before making the purchase.

pixelgenius
pixelgenius Senior Member • Posts: 2,487

I'm not too happy with them either after just purchasing (first time) PhotoLab 2 elite (on sale) but the day before they offered the NIK filter with a different version. I wasn't sure I really wanted the lesser options just to get the filters but wanted to see if they would even let me return the elite package for the one with the bundle. Answer: No. even though I purchased less than 48 hours earlier. I like the product, but the company isn't very helpful and yet, people continue to complain about Adobe (which I also use). At least they provide 30 day refund after starting a subscription.

jmelnikoff wrote:

It creates ZERO customer loyalty! And also they just brushed it off as "management policy". Bad news travels faster than good news. Buyers need to know what they are getting into before making the purchase.

I don't think it will hurt them very much but is good to make people aware. This goes for any perpetual license because DXO is not the only one that does this.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +5 more
dinoSnake Veteran Member • Posts: 3,215

Terribly sorry to hear, but thank you for the information

irv00 Senior Member • Posts: 1,431

jmelnikoff wrote:

Back on April 22, 2019, I purchased the Nik software bundle and integrated with my DXO Photolab 2 which was purchased about 2 months prior. My old computer died and decided to buy a new one. I also got tired of Adobe charging fees for "renting" their software which was the reason I stopped paying them. DXO PL2 seemed like a good alternative because it was a perpetual license and it updated their RAW converter seemingly on a regular basis. Purchasing a new camera and being a RAW shooter, I wanted a RAW editor that I didn't have to subscribe to. It's a very good solution. Finally, I was a prior Nik filter user even prior to the acquisition from Google. So I guess somewhere about 10-12 years. So, on June 22, I attended an online workshop where someone was demonstrating Nik version 2. I thought for sure I had V2, but I come to find out I do not. Being that my purchase was only 60 days old, I went to website to get the upgrade. No so fast! They wanted another $59 for the upgrade because my license was over 30 days old. I thought, that had to be a mistake, but that's not the case. After contacting their support via a post on their website, I was told there was nothing they could do as this is their management's policy. I then asked to send me one of their senior management's contact information so that I could express my concerns directly. No response! So...this should be a caution to anyone who decides to purchase anything from DXO, don't expect to be upgraded to another version if you purchased it over 30 days ago. It's a real shame that something which is pretty much common practice in the software industry (upgrades within the first year of purchase) has ruined my experience dealing with DXO. As a side note, the difference between V1 and V2 is fairly minor which is all the more reason I'm so surprised they wouldn't allow me to upgrade at no charge. BUYER BEWARE.

No, this is NOT DxO’s problem or fault. It’s yours for believing you can have the latest and greatest for free.

Whether you like it or not, you have to spend money every year for the rest of your life if you want those attractive new features. So, stop being irrational and look at Adobe with fresh, new, smart eyes.

There is no free lunch.

Sagittarius Veteran Member • Posts: 6,170

irv00 wrote:

No, this is NOT DxO’s problem or fault. It’s yours for believing you can have the latest and greatest for free.

Whether you like it or not, you have to spend money every year for the rest of your life if you want those attractive new features. So, stop being irrational and look at Adobe with fresh, new, smart eyes.

There is no free lunch.

Topaz Labs just gave for free Topaz Adjust AI to the existing owners of the Adjust 5 and Topaz Denoise AI which includes Clear to the existing owners of the Denoise 6, no matter when it was bought.

And I am a subscriber for LR/PS

-- hide signature --

Best regards

Sagittarius's gear list:Sagittarius's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
DenWil
DenWil Veteran Member • Posts: 3,921

irv00 wrote:

jmelnikoff wrote:

Back on April 22, 2019, I purchased the Nik software bundle and integrated with my DXO Photolab 2 which was purchased about 2 months prior. My old computer died ....... V1 and V2 is fairly minor which is all the more reason I'm so surprised they wouldn't allow me to upgrade at no charge. BUYER BEWARE.

There is no free lunch.

Actually over 30 million Americans get a free lunch most every day so depending on age the OP might actually have a realistic expectation. Free lunch, free child care, free health care , free wi-fi...is it any wonder someone expects free software updates?  It's insidious.

-- hide signature --

dw

robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 6,046

DenWil wrote:

irv00 wrote:

jmelnikoff wrote:

Back on April 22, 2019, I purchased the Nik software bundle and integrated with my DXO Photolab 2 which was purchased about 2 months prior. My old computer died ....... V1 and V2 is fairly minor which is all the more reason I'm so surprised they wouldn't allow me to upgrade at no charge. BUYER BEWARE.

There is no free lunch.

Actually over 30 million Americans get a free lunch most every day so depending on age the OP might actually have a realistic expectation. Free lunch, free child care, free health care , free wi-fi...is it any wonder someone expects free software updates? It's insidious.

"Free lunches" are available for software as well. It is not at all uncommon to have a window for free upgrades, sometimes for those who bought even quite a while ago. For example, Photo Mechanic noted in their forum a while ago:

When you purchase a license of Photo Mechanic, you're entitled to free upgrades to any new major version that comes out within a year of your purchase date. Of course you also have access to all the build updates along the way as well. As of now, if you go past the one year the license upgrade price is $90.

And if you're familiar with PM you'd realize PM 6 was due any day now for about a year, so that policy made sense if they wanted any new customers.

A prudent consumer might avoid say the non "free lunch" developers (not sure which ones we're talking about) or the short interval ones like DxO.

DxO is to my mind an example of software hamstringed by it's own reluctance to do subscriptions. They need to continue to test cameras and lenses in order to make not only raw conversion possible, but also their lens corrections. The software is more or less useless with non conforming combos. Obviously they have ongoing costs. Yet rather than release incremental updates for just the lens correction, say, they bundle it into the new version and charge an upgrade fee. I prefer Adobe's more transparent subscription, which is why I went the other direction and dropped DxO to use just Lr/Ps/ACR. Ultimately you've gotta pay for that development, either with parsimonious DxO, greedy Adobe, or even the more generous Photo Mechanic.

-- hide signature --

“Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.”
— Edgar Degas

robgendreau's gear list:robgendreau's gear list
Pentax K-1 II Pentax FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW

irv00 wrote:

jmelnikoff wrote:

Back on April 22, 2019, I purchased the Nik software bundle and integrated with my DXO Photolab 2 which was purchased about 2 months prior. My old computer died and decided to buy a new one. I also got tired of Adobe charging fees for "renting" their software which was the reason I stopped paying them. DXO PL2 seemed like a good alternative because it was a perpetual license and it updated their RAW converter seemingly on a regular basis. Purchasing a new camera and being a RAW shooter, I wanted a RAW editor that I didn't have to subscribe to. It's a very good solution. Finally, I was a prior Nik filter user even prior to the acquisition from Google. So I guess somewhere about 10-12 years. So, on June 22, I attended an online workshop where someone was demonstrating Nik version 2. I thought for sure I had V2, but I come to find out I do not. Being that my purchase was only 60 days old, I went to website to get the upgrade. No so fast! They wanted another $59 for the upgrade because my license was over 30 days old. I thought, that had to be a mistake, but that's not the case. After contacting their support via a post on their website, I was told there was nothing they could do as this is their management's policy. I then asked to send me one of their senior management's contact information so that I could express my concerns directly. No response! So...this should be a caution to anyone who decides to purchase anything from DXO, don't expect to be upgraded to another version if you purchased it over 30 days ago. It's a real shame that something which is pretty much common practice in the software industry (upgrades within the first year of purchase) has ruined my experience dealing with DXO. As a side note, the difference between V1 and V2 is fairly minor which is all the more reason I'm so surprised they wouldn't allow me to upgrade at no charge. BUYER BEWARE.

There is no free lunch.

It is funny how this turned from not getting an update within a few months of getting new product to a year. There was an example of 48 hrs. Of course there are annual updates that you have pay for if you want the new offerings. This has nothing to do with annual updates.

Pov2 Contributing Member • Posts: 841

The subject says "terrible upgrade policy". To me DxO has pretty good upgrade policy because the upgrade price is significantly lower than the new product price. Maybe even better than if it were a subscription. And I think 30 days is reasonable. If you buy hardware and the next day a new version is released you can't "upgrade".

phil from seattle
phil from seattle Senior Member • Posts: 3,229

Sorry you feel shafted by DxO. They are pretty much midstream in the SW world on upgrades.  For what it's worth, they were in the French equivalent of "Chapter 11" not that long ago so it's not surprising that they are hard core about it.  I like PhotoLab and want them to be around for the long haul.

Too bad Affinity Photo doesn't meet your needs.  They been churning out .1 releases for quite a while (more than a year) with significant feature additions and not charged an upgrade fee. Given that I (and everyone else) paid almost nothing for it in the first place, I'd say they are at the far end of the upgrade spectrum. When they roll over to 2.0, I will gladly pay for the upgrade.

Lacko Regular Member • Posts: 406

jmelnikoff wrote:

... the difference between V1 and V2 is fairly minor ...

so why are you so upset when not getting V2 for free?

Lacko's gear list:Lacko's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
jcwy
jcwy Junior Member • Posts: 32

jmelnikoff wrote:

Thank you for sharing your DXO experience.  If you like the software then just be happy and continue to use it, if not then vote with your wallet and be done with DXO.  I say this with full respect, there are more pressing issues in life than being denied a free software upgrade - think of people with terminal illness, people who work hard with multiple jobs but still can not always have food on the table for their family ...  Be grateful you have the time and money for this hobby, because sadly not everyone could afford a hobby.

jcwy's gear list:jcwy's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a7R III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more

jmelnikoff wrote:

Despite what everyone is saying you got burned. It is not like you are asking for a free upgrade 8 months after you purchased the software. Somehow everyone seems to be ignoring the timing of your purchase. I don't think it should be free but when that close to time of purchase it should be considered and prorated. What if it had been 32 days after purchase. Same thing applies?

When that happened to me I was thinking they would help me out with a reduced charge but nope. Members here encouraged me to contact them, which I did with no results.

Austinian
Austinian Veteran Member • Posts: 8,475

Pov2 wrote:

The subject says "terrible upgrade policy". To me DxO has pretty good upgrade policy because the upgrade price is significantly lower than the new product price. Maybe even better than if it were a subscription.

Yes, and unlike subscription s/w you don't HAVE to pay for upgrades periodically; I've skipped a version and still paid only an upgrade price later when the next version had a feature I wanted.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Sony FE 28mm F2 Samyang 135mm F2.0 +3 more
richdm Contributing Member • Posts: 670

irv00 wrote:

jmelnikoff wrote:

There is no free lunch.

I purchased Affinity Photo almost 18 months ago now, and just got their latest and greatest for free.   I imagine version 2.0 will a paid version (a whopping $49 full retail), but until then, they're continuing to work on fixes and some features for version 1.

Every company is different. Some have a liberal upgrade policy, some don't. My belief is that those who do will be rewarded in the end.

richdm's gear list:richdm's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Nikon D3300 +2 more
phil from seattle
phil from seattle Senior Member • Posts: 3,229

richdm wrote:

irv00 wrote:

jmelnikoff wrote:

There is no free lunch.

I purchased Affinity Photo almost 18 months ago now, and just got their latest and greatest for free. I imagine version 2.0 will a paid version (a whopping $49 full retail), but until then, they're continuing to work on fixes and some features for version 1.

Every company is different. Some have a liberal upgrade policy, some don't. My belief is that those who do will be rewarded in the end.

I wouldn't count on AP being $49 forever. Their competitors, some with fewer features, are charging significantly higher prices. I wouldn't be surprised to see a $79 or $99 price for 2.0. And, frankly, I'd pay it (or at least the increased upgrade fee).

hectorsm Regular Member • Posts: 216

phil from seattle wrote:

richdm wrote:

irv00 wrote:

jmelnikoff wrote:

There is no free lunch.

I purchased Affinity Photo almost 18 months ago now, and just got their latest and greatest for free. I imagine version 2.0 will a paid version (a whopping $49 full retail), but until then, they're continuing to work on fixes and some features for version 1.

I wouldn't count on AP being $49 forever. Their competitors, some with fewer features, are charging significantly higher prices. I wouldn't be surprised to see a $79 or $99 price for 2.0. And, frankly, I'd pay it (or at least the increased upgrade fee).

Even then, you are not force to pay for the update if you don't need it.

hectorsm's gear list:hectorsm's gear list
Nikon D600
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads