EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
dbelling Contributing Member • Posts: 545
EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom

I realize that this topic has been raised before, but I found this Graham Houghton video on the subject to be of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwBFTAnMGsI

If I understand him correctly, he is saying that i.zoom is superior to EX zoom and that both are better than regular digital zoom (which is probably right). But it surprised me that he believes that i.zoom is superior to EX zoom. I would have thought it would be the other way around. There is also this post from evetsf:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59402207

I have to admit that it is hard for me to tell the difference in quality between the test shots. Opinions would be very welcome. Thanks.

Regards, Dave

Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 1,371
Re: EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom

dbelling wrote:

I realize that this topic has been raised before, but I found this Graham Houghton video on the subject to be of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwBFTAnMGsI

If I understand him correctly, he is saying that i.zoom is superior to EX zoom and that both are better than regular digital zoom (which is probably right). But it surprised me that he believes that i.zoom is superior to EX zoom. I would have thought it would be the other way around. There is also this post from evetsf:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59402207

I have to admit that it is hard for me to tell the difference in quality between the test shots. Opinions would be very welcome. Thanks.

Regards, Dave

The camera's lower-resolution modes are scaling full-size sensor data down.  EX zoom scales sensor data down from a crop.  i.Zoom scales data up in connection with edge enhancement (which is i.Resolution when not scaling up at the same point of time).  That gives you a higher resolution not backed by optical resolution while EX zoom gives you a lower resolution than the optical resolution.  Digital zoom does not do simultanous edge enhancement.

i.Zoom is worse at the pixel level than EX zoom but has more pixels.  Fully extended EX zoom is just a central crop to the final resolution.

I'd not call i.Zoom superior to EX zoom but you'll find people swearing by it, sometimes not even using the result on devices showing more pixels than a plain crop would deliver.  Personally I just use raw and retain the option to use whatever level of edge anhancement and cropping/scaling I find appropriate, even though either operation does not happen in-camera.

Personally, I very much like my images to look good at the pixel level even when having less nominal resolution so I refrain from using more pixels than the sensor delivers.

 Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 17,149
Re: EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom

dbelling wrote:

I realize that this topic has been raised before, but I found this Graham Houghton video on the subject to be of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwBFTAnMGsI

If I understand him correctly, he is saying that i.zoom is superior to EX zoom and that both are better than regular digital zoom (which is probably right). But it surprised me that he believes that i.zoom is superior to EX zoom. I would have thought it would be the other way around. There is also this post from evetsf:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59402207

I have to admit that it is hard for me to tell the difference in quality between the test shots. Opinions would be very welcome. Thanks.

Regards, Dave

I am with you, Dave.

I've owned plenty of FZ's since 2004....and when they started using EX Zoom...I liked it.

I never did like I.zoom...and feel EX Zoom is for sure better than I.zoom

EX Zoom doesn't interpolate back up to full resolution....nor  does it sharpen or smooth out areas that I.zoom does.

Only lower resolution is what one looses with EX Zoom.

What one gains is metering and AF on the subject..and of course an in camera crop to gain a bit more zoom reach.

Back in the day 5 to 8MP was all the resolution we ever had

😍

ANAYV

Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 4,347
Re: EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom

Dak on cam wrote:

dbelling wrote:

I realize that this topic has been raised before, but I found this Graham Houghton video on the subject to be of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwBFTAnMGsI

If I understand him correctly, he is saying that i.zoom is superior to EX zoom and that both are better than regular digital zoom (which is probably right). But it surprised me that he believes that i.zoom is superior to EX zoom. I would have thought it would be the other way around. There is also this post from evetsf:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59402207

I have to admit that it is hard for me to tell the difference in quality between the test shots. Opinions would be very welcome. Thanks.

Regards, Dave

The camera's lower-resolution modes are scaling full-size sensor data down. EX zoom scales sensor data down from a crop....

EX Zoom does not "... scales sensor data down ...".

Just a simple 10MP or 5MP central crop of the sensor's area.

.. i.Zoom is worse at the pixel level than EX zoom but has more pixels ...

True when using i.Zoom with full 20MP; you can use i.Zoom with the 10MP and 5MP EX.

... I'd not call i.Zoom superior to EX zoom but you'll find people swearing by it, ...

The main advantage of i.Zoom if for users that do NOT want to spend the time PP images.

i.Zoom provides a simple OOC solution just as in-camera Pano vs. taking multiple shots and stitching together into a pano.

 Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic ZS100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D +18 more
GeraldW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,488
Re: EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom
1

Dave,

I find that what works best depends a lot on the camera.  I have the FZ200, and FZ1000,  Canon G7X II, and until recently had a Canon SX50HS.

On the FZ200, I prefer to use iZoom, if I need more reach; but in lowish light and higher ISO it doesn't give great shots.  The FZ300 was no better.

On the FZ1000 if I want maximum reach my preference is to set EX 10MP and then add some iZoom.  That works very well out to around 800 mm EFL, and is decent at 2x iZoom for 1124 mm EFL.  I keep the EX 10MP and iZoom set up on the C1 Mode setting; but have iZoom on in the regular set up.

On the G7X II Canon has regular DZ and a 1.6x Multiplier setting.  I have the 1.6x Multiplier set up on the C1 Mode setting.  It gives 8 MP and very nice images to 160 mm EFL, even in lowish light and is very useful for my grandkid's plays and other stage productions.  Canon's Digital Multiplier settings multiply all focal lengths by 1.6x, so 24 mm becomes 38.4 mm; but still at f/1.8.  8 MP is enough for nice looking prints to 8.5" x 11", even at ISO 800.

Canon uses a lot of processing to get better images at ISO 1600 in the SX50HS.  Adding DZ or Digital Multiplier just doesn't work very well in low light because of the small sensor and slow lens.

I made my decisions by using the side by side comparison tool in FastStone Viewer.   It takes the images and shows them at 100%, so you see the per pixel sharpness, and you can adjust the magnification to get near equal size subjects in both panels.  I find that important in side by side comparisons.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

 GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 70D
Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 1,371
Re: EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom

Jon_T wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

dbelling wrote:

I realize that this topic has been raised before, but I found this Graham Houghton video on the subject to be of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwBFTAnMGsI

If I understand him correctly, he is saying that i.zoom is superior to EX zoom and that both are better than regular digital zoom (which is probably right). But it surprised me that he believes that i.zoom is superior to EX zoom. I would have thought it would be the other way around. There is also this post from evetsf:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59402207

I have to admit that it is hard for me to tell the difference in quality between the test shots. Opinions would be very welcome. Thanks.

Regards, Dave

The camera's lower-resolution modes are scaling full-size sensor data down. EX zoom scales sensor data down from a crop....

EX Zoom does not "... scales sensor data down ...".

Just a simple 10MP or 5MP central crop of the sensor's area.

That's what its equivalent "Smart zoom" on my DSC-R1 with its mechanically linked zoom does.  It's either on, in which case it takes the crop corresponding to the selected JPEG resolution, or off, in which case the full sensor data is scaled down to the JPEG resolution.

However, on the motor-only zooms of the Panasonic FZ models, EX zoom covers the range from the end of the optical zoom, where the full sensor data is scaled down to the JPEG resolution, to the end of EX zoom, where just the crop corresponding to the selected JPEG resolution is taken.  Everything in between scales down from a larger-than-JPEG but smaller-than-full-sensor crop.  The only time EX zoom does not scale down but only crops is when the range of EX is exhausted and i.Zoom and/or digital zoom may be stacked on top, scaling up an even smaller crop.

.. i.Zoom is worse at the pixel level than EX zoom but has more pixels ...

True when using i.Zoom with full 20MP; you can use i.Zoom with the 10MP and 5MP EX.

... I'd not call i.Zoom superior to EX zoom but you'll find people swearing by it, ...

The main advantage of i.Zoom if for users that do NOT want to spend the time PP images.

i.Zoom provides a simple OOC solution just as in-camera Pano vs. taking multiple shots and stitching together into a pano.

I don't see the problem i.Zoom solves.  People complain when one "pixel-peeps" at i.Zoom images, but where is the point in generating pixels of a size you are not supposed to look at?  Basically, it's the same as using digital zoom first and i.Resolution afterwards so that it does not scale up the i.Resolution artifacts.  If you don't care for i.Resolution, it is just digital zoom up, and it's usually a better idea to leave digital zooming up to the final display or printing device which knows the resolution it is working with.

 Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 4,347
Re: EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom

dbelling wrote:

I realize that this topic has been raised before, but I found this Graham Houghton video on the subject to be of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwBFTAnMGsI

If I understand him correctly, he is saying that i.zoom is superior to EX zoom and that both are better than regular digital zoom (which is probably right). But it surprised me that he believes that i.zoom is superior to EX zoom. ...

Been awhile since watching the video, but as other have already posted i.Zoom still a 'type' of digital and cannot not be superior to actual optical image IQ.

.. I would have thought it would be the other way around. ...

You thought correct.

There is also this post from evetsf:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59402207

I have to admit that it is hard for me to tell the difference in quality between the test shots. Opinions would be very welcome. ...

That's due to the "Large" images on evetsf's "Gallery Page" are small 1,600px × 1,067px size images.

When doing any type of IQ comparisons need to confirm you're viewing camera's image full size resolution.

If click on the first posted image in evetsf's it will open the DPreview Gallery ...

... and be able to see the full sized image uploaded, with images evetsf's he uploaded full size images; some users do not upload full size images.

From the above gallery can click on the "100 %" to view image at its full uploaded size noted at the "Dimensions:"

For example images below the 2nd image in evetsf's post you linked.

1600 x 1607 "Large" image from evetsf's Gallery

5472 x 3648 image from DPreview Gallery shown above

If using a tab-browser click on the "original size" to open in new tab to compare images by switching tabs while viewing full size to see:

Cheers,
Jon

 Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic ZS100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D +18 more
OP dbelling Contributing Member • Posts: 545
Re: EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom

GeraldW wrote:

Dave,

On the FZ1000 if I want maximum reach my preference is to set EX 10MP and then add some iZoom. That works very well out to around 800 mm EFL, and is decent at 2x iZoom for 1124 mm EFL. I keep the EX 10MP and iZoom set up on the C1 Mode setting; but have iZoom on in the regular set up.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I am seriously considering the FZ1000 ii and was wondering what I should do in those few instances when I want more than 400mm (efl). Your suggestion is what I was considering. That is, use EX zoom at 10mp and use a bit of i.zoom if needed after that. Thanks.

Regards, Dave

OP dbelling Contributing Member • Posts: 545
Re: EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom

Thanks for the sugestion about viewing evetsf's gallery. Good to know.

Regards, Dave

Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 4,347
Re: EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom
1

dbelling wrote:

GeraldW wrote:

Dave,

On the FZ1000 if I want maximum reach my preference is to set EX 10MP and then add some iZoom. That works very well out to around 800 mm EFL, and is decent at 2x iZoom for 1124 mm EFL. I keep the EX 10MP and iZoom set up on the C1 Mode setting; but have iZoom on in the regular set up.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I am seriously considering the FZ1000 ii and was wondering what I should do in those few instances when I want more than 400mm (efl). Your suggestion is what I was considering. That is, use EX zoom at 10mp and use a bit of i.zoom if needed after that. Thanks.

I use the 10MP i.Zoom similar to Gerald noted.

At least with my FZ1000 the overall the 1124mm EFL IQ results seem to look better than the 20MP 800mm EFL i.Zoom.

What I've found to get best IQ from using FZ1000 10MP i.Zoom is to:
• Get as close as you can to subject (bird, etc.) so subject 'fills' the image area.
• Good daylight lighting conditions (to keep lower ISO)
• Use base ISO setting, as lighting conditions will allow.

Basically 10mp i.Zoom 1124mm EFL IQ quality good enough for posting images for sharing online and small snapshot print sizes.

Some FZ1000 10mp i.Zoom 1124mm EFL images:

Cheers,
Jon

 Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic ZS100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D +18 more
OP dbelling Contributing Member • Posts: 545
Re: EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom

Jon_T wrote:

I use the 10MP i.Zoom similar to Gerald noted.

At least with my FZ1000 the overall the 1124mm EFL IQ results seem to look better than the 20MP 800mm EFL i.Zoom.

What I've found to get best IQ from using FZ1000 10MP i.Zoom is to:
• Get as close as you can to subject (bird, etc.) so subject 'fills' the image area.
• Good daylight lighting conditions (to keep lower ISO)
• Use base ISO setting, as lighting conditions will allow.

Cheers,
Jon

Very interesting. If I understand you correctly, you get better IQ by using EX at 10mp + 2x i.zoom than just the 2x i.zoom alone? I wonder why that would be, unless a 10mp image works better with i.zoom than a 20mp image? Thanks for the information.

Regards, Dave

Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 1,371
Re: EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom

Jon_T wrote:

dbelling wrote:

GeraldW wrote:

Dave,

On the FZ1000 if I want maximum reach my preference is to set EX 10MP and then add some iZoom. That works very well out to around 800 mm EFL, and is decent at 2x iZoom for 1124 mm EFL. I keep the EX 10MP and iZoom set up on the C1 Mode setting; but have iZoom on in the regular set up.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I am seriously considering the FZ1000 ii and was wondering what I should do in those few instances when I want more than 400mm (efl). Your suggestion is what I was considering. That is, use EX zoom at 10mp and use a bit of i.zoom if needed after that. Thanks.

I use the 10MP i.Zoom similar to Gerald noted.

At least with my FZ1000 the overall the 1124mm EFL IQ results seem to look better than the 20MP 800mm EFL i.Zoom.

What I've found to get best IQ from using FZ1000 10MP i.Zoom is to:
• Get as close as you can to subject (bird, etc.) so subject 'fills' the image area.
• Good daylight lighting conditions (to keep lower ISO)
• Use base ISO setting, as lighting conditions will allow.

Basically 10mp i.Zoom 1124mm EFL IQ quality good enough for posting images for sharing online and small snapshot print sizes.

Some FZ1000 10mp i.Zoom 1124mm EFL images:

[...]

So it is a bit tricky to guess, but from the size of the highlights it is my guess that focus should be close to the head of the left goose. Here is a 1:1 crop of that:

One sees a ragged outline with a halo (which is somewhat typical for the kind of edge enhancement i.Zoom or i.Resolution do even if everything goes according to plan). One also sees at the black/white borders that the lens is starting to fight with chromatic aberration (actually, I am surprised that the JPEG processor does not compensate/defringe more, but then this is quite outside of the center of the image). According to the EXIF data, this is at ISO125 and using F5.6 (one stop less than the maximum of F4 at this length). It also indicates use of Adobe Photo Elements but I don't know just what kind of editing has been done.

At any rate, I don't really see that providing that many pixels at this resolution is adding significant value. It doesn't help that the kind of edge enhancement i.Zoom does warrants good data to work with and the lens is at the limit of its impressive optical capabilities at full zoom. You may think it unfair to view this at 1:1, but the only use of digital zooms including i.Zoom is to cater for high viewing resolutions. For viewing on, say, webpages or laptop screens, you can just crop from the actual sensor resolution.

 Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 1,371
Re: EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom

dbelling wrote:

Jon_T wrote:

I use the 10MP i.Zoom similar to Gerald noted.

At least with my FZ1000 the overall the 1124mm EFL IQ results seem to look better than the 20MP 800mm EFL i.Zoom.

What I've found to get best IQ from using FZ1000 10MP i.Zoom is to:
• Get as close as you can to subject (bird, etc.) so subject 'fills' the image area.
• Good daylight lighting conditions (to keep lower ISO)
• Use base ISO setting, as lighting conditions will allow.

Cheers,
Jon

Very interesting. If I understand you correctly, you get better IQ by using EX at 10mp + 2x i.zoom than just the 2x i.zoom alone? I wonder why that would be, unless a 10mp image works better with i.zoom than a 20mp image? Thanks for the information.

i.Zoom does crop, digital magnification and edge enhancement.  EX just crops at its full extent (and only then does i.Zoom kick in).  If you afterwards reduce to some smaller viewing resolution, the precropped variant does its edge enhancement at a resolution closer to the viewing resolution.  Since edge enhancement does not add information but gives the existing information more visual impact at the pixel level, being closer to the pixel size of the viewing device may very well give the intended effect better leverage.

 Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 4,347
Re: EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom

dbelling wrote:

Jon_T wrote:

I use the 10MP i.Zoom similar to Gerald noted.

At least with my FZ1000 the overall the 1124mm EFL IQ results seem to look better than the 20MP 800mm EFL i.Zoom.

What I've found to get best IQ from using FZ1000 10MP i.Zoom is to:
• Get as close as you can to subject (bird, etc.) so subject 'fills' the image area.
• Good daylight lighting conditions (to keep lower ISO)
• Use base ISO setting, as lighting conditions will allow.

Cheers,
Jon

Very interesting. If I understand you correctly, you get better IQ by using EX at 10mp + 2x i.zoom than just the 2x i.zoom alone? I wonder why that would be, unless a 10mp image works better with i.zoom than a 20mp image? Thanks for the information.

From casual shooting observations (i.e., have not done detailed IQ tests) the "1124mm EFL IQ results seem to look better than the 20MP 800mm EFL i.Zoom."

Some users in the weekly "New Wildlife Thread" made similar comments.

I had some sample shot I did back when I first bought the FZ1000, but could not fine on my hard; apparently archived to a backup external drive or deleted.

Cheers,
Jon

 Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic ZS100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D +18 more
Sranang Boi Senior Member • Posts: 1,833
Re: EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom

I prefer to have iZOOM on at 20MP, instead of using 9MP  with iZOOM on. iZOOM kicks in when the optical lens has reached its longest focal length. So for shots taken at less than 400mm iZOOM doesn't kick in, and you get 20MP. But when you do need more reach, and you have just seconds to make a decision about pressing the shutter button, then iZOOM will be there and then at your finger tip.

 Sranang Boi's gear list:Sranang Boi's gear list
Leica V-LUX 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +1 more
Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 4,347
Re: EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom

Dak on cam wrote:

Jon_T wrote:

dbelling wrote:

GeraldW wrote:

Dave,

On the FZ1000 if I want maximum reach my preference is to set EX 10MP and then add some iZoom. That works very well out to around 800 mm EFL, and is decent at 2x iZoom for 1124 mm EFL. I keep the EX 10MP and iZoom set up on the C1 Mode setting; but have iZoom on in the regular set up.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I am seriously considering the FZ1000 ii and was wondering what I should do in those few instances when I want more than 400mm (efl). Your suggestion is what I was considering. That is, use EX zoom at 10mp and use a bit of i.zoom if needed after that. Thanks.

I use the 10MP i.Zoom similar to Gerald noted.

At least with my FZ1000 the overall the 1124mm EFL IQ results seem to look better than the 20MP 800mm EFL i.Zoom.

What I've found to get best IQ from using FZ1000 10MP i.Zoom is to:
• Get as close as you can to subject (bird, etc.) so subject 'fills' the image area.
• Good daylight lighting conditions (to keep lower ISO)
• Use base ISO setting, as lighting conditions will allow.

Basically 10mp i.Zoom 1124mm EFL IQ quality good enough for posting images for sharing online and small snapshot print sizes.

Some FZ1000 10mp i.Zoom 1124mm EFL images:

[...]

So it is a bit tricky to guess, but from the size of the highlights it is my guess that focus should be close to the head of the left goose. Here is a 1:1 crop of that:

Really? Who cares.

Just some quick shots I did with i.Zoom.

I explained to MANY times i.Zoom images are NOT for 100% pixel peeping scrutiny, I'm VERYwell aware of the Pro's and Con's with using i.Zoom.

ONLY posted the full 10MP size so Dave could see what the 10MP 1124mm EFL IQ looks like. NOT for others to do 100% Pixel Peeping image analysis.

As I also explained to you MANY times I mainly shoot RAW and accomplish what i.Zoom does when PP RAW images.

I share with others that i.Zoom can be easy solution for users who do not want to PP images to achieved what i.Zoom does.  Apparently by your replies this appears too difficult for you to understand.

Can only assume you must have memory problems, or just to in trying to impress others with how much you think you know.

Yes, I occasionally use i.Zoom for the ease of getting a 'quick' shot to share with others via online and/ or email downsized to image to 1920 x 1280.

As usually just another one of your wordy posts that nothing worth reading for reason the  images were posted.

 Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic ZS100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D +18 more
Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 1,371
Re: EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom

Sranang Boi wrote:

I prefer to have iZOOM on at 20MP, instead of using 9MP with iZOOM on. iZOOM kicks in when the optical lens has reached its longest focal length. So for shots taken at less than 400mm iZOOM doesn't kick in, and you get 20MP. But when you do need more reach, and you have just seconds to make a decision about pressing the shutter button, then iZOOM will be there and then at your finger tip.

And the seconds spent thinking about and fiddling with i.Zoom will give you exactly zero more sensor pixels to work with. Actually less. If you overzoom using i.Zoom, the missing pixels can't be extrapolated while the "gained" pixels are digitally interpolated, a procedure that could equally well be done on a computer afterwards (at least when working with raw).

This is actually reflected by the dimensions of the raw file if you save it in parallel with the JPEG: if you i.Zoom by a factor of 2 on the 12MP FZ200, the raw file only saves 3MP worth of pixels.  So with regard to the raw file, i.Zoom ends up being a pure framing help for choosing your crop, without actually scaling anything up or down.

So saving JPEG+raw you end up getting a 4.8MB JPEG and a 4.2MB raw file (for example).  Which is almost funny.

 Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 1,371
Re: EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom

Jon_T wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

Jon_T wrote:

dbelling wrote:

GeraldW wrote:

Dave,

On the FZ1000 if I want maximum reach my preference is to set EX 10MP and then add some iZoom. That works very well out to around 800 mm EFL, and is decent at 2x iZoom for 1124 mm EFL. I keep the EX 10MP and iZoom set up on the C1 Mode setting; but have iZoom on in the regular set up.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I am seriously considering the FZ1000 ii and was wondering what I should do in those few instances when I want more than 400mm (efl). Your suggestion is what I was considering. That is, use EX zoom at 10mp and use a bit of i.zoom if needed after that. Thanks.

I use the 10MP i.Zoom similar to Gerald noted.

At least with my FZ1000 the overall the 1124mm EFL IQ results seem to look better than the 20MP 800mm EFL i.Zoom.

What I've found to get best IQ from using FZ1000 10MP i.Zoom is to:
• Get as close as you can to subject (bird, etc.) so subject 'fills' the image area.
• Good daylight lighting conditions (to keep lower ISO)
• Use base ISO setting, as lighting conditions will allow.

Basically 10mp i.Zoom 1124mm EFL IQ quality good enough for posting images for sharing online and small snapshot print sizes.

Some FZ1000 10mp i.Zoom 1124mm EFL images:

[...]

So it is a bit tricky to guess, but from the size of the highlights it is my guess that focus should be close to the head of the left goose. Here is a 1:1 crop of that:

Really? Who cares.

Just some quick shots I did with i.Zoom.

I explained to MANY times i.Zoom images are NOT for 100% pixel peeping scrutiny,

So what are they for?  Why generate pixels you are not supposed to look at?

I share with others that i.Zoom can be easy solution for users who do not want to PP images to achieved what i.Zoom does.

What does it achieve when you are not supposed to look at the additional pixels it generates?

Yes, I occasionally use i.Zoom for the ease of getting a 'quick' shot to share with others via online and/ or email downsized to image to 1920 x 1280.

Why do you need to inflate it using i.Zoom in order to downsize it afterwards?

 Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
kkardster
kkardster Veteran Member • Posts: 9,372
Re: EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom

dbelling wrote:

I realize that this topic has been raised before, but I found this Graham Houghton video on the subject to be of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwBFTAnMGsI

If I understand him correctly, he is saying that i.zoom is superior to EX zoom and that both are better than regular digital zoom (which is probably right). But it surprised me that he believes that i.zoom is superior to EX zoom. I would have thought it would be the other way around.

I believe this is only true for 1" and larger sensor models. For smaller-sensored models i.Zoom doesn't offer much.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

 kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic ZS100 +5 more
GeraldW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,488
Re: EX zoom, i.zoom and digital zoom
1

Jon,

Nice shots and a really good reason to use the EX 10MP/iZoom combo.  A lot of the other alternative plans seem to fall apart in low light and low contrast light.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

 GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 70D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads