Quattro smooth and crispy control vs. Merrill look?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
OP chankosuto Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: Quattro smooth and crispy control vs. Merrill look?

Thanks for posting the links, very helpful, appreciated it. I've read some of your past comments and it seems like Merrill does sometimes renders inaccurately,would that be a fair assessment?

TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 8,355

chankosuto wrote:

Thanks for posting the links, very helpful, appreciated it. I've read some of your past comments and it seems like Merrill does sometimes renders inaccurately,would that be a fair assessment?

I would rather not pass a big overall judgement on Merrill in terms of 'render'. I have never owned one. IMO some people think of 'render' in highly subjective terms, so I avoid it.

I have made a post comparing Merrill raw output with DPR's benchmark camera and with the Quattro H sensor, at high magnification, link . You might have been thinking of that in relation to my comments about Merrill. Some of my comments there were by way of disproof to other posts claiming the Merrill has "way more detail". Sticking to technical descriptors, I would say the Quattro H wins on resolution, detail, realistic microcontrast, and colour, by being more like the medium format reference in that comparison.

I know you literally asked "Quattro + Detail Slider = Merrill?", and on that question, I would say no, it does not simulate the exaggerated microcontrast of the Merrill very closely at all. Also, it adds a lot of noise that isn't in the Merrill. Which is not to say it is unusable: but I think of it as an Output tool, when you know what the final image size will be and use it sensibly to get the right visual effect at that size.

cheers

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
OP chankosuto Junior Member • Posts: 36

makes sense, thanks!

krloz Regular Member • Posts: 464

Great thread.
I've downloaded a couple of RAW files from SD Quattro H last year and was not impressed by the results in comparison to my DP2M. I will try the suggestion here and see how it goes.

krloz's gear list:krloz's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Sigma DP2 Merrill Leica X Vario DxO One Leica M8.2 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads