How I Got my $3500 Camera Kit Stolen on KitSplit for $70

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
FluidKnowledge Regular Member • Posts: 299
Re: Revised: KitSplit and I have made Peace

YohahN wrote:

If you read my blog, there’s a screenshot of KitSplit replying back to my email saying “Thanks so much for getting back to me, and for providing those invoices/proof of purchase.”

And yet in your posts you say KitSplit was just giving you canned responses like with everyone else.

So why didn't you call up where you bought your camera gear from and get the serial numbers if you threw away all the boxes and other documents? I say if you don't provide evidence of serial numbers, then your claim should be denied.

InkedMarie
InkedMarie Senior Member • Posts: 1,025

Ever hear the term “quit while you’re behind”? You should do just that.

InkedMarie's gear list:InkedMarie's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P510 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +1 more
Smaug01
Smaug01 Senior Member • Posts: 2,625
Thanks for the heads-up

KitSplit is stonewalling you. The thief got away with your gear. It's all legal, though shady and buried.

Here are a couple of ideas:

• I didn't read the whole correspondence, but did you eventually file the police report? That's key, in my opinion. A detective should be able to track him down via internet history, IP address, etc.
  • How about signing up for a new account rent something else to him and setting up a sting? Get him on camera, if nothing else. Ideally, have the police ready to nab him when he shows up and you can identify him? 
  • Do you have the serial #s for your gear recorded somewhere? That could go in the police report and possibly get it recovered from ebay.
  • Check ebay and craigslist history
  • Check into hiring a lawyer. Have that lawyer talk to KitSplit's lawyer. If nothing else, they may rather settle with you than spend their time with it. 
  • If you're American, go to the Better Business Bureau's site and report them. Remember to check there before trusting any other similar business with your gear. If you're not American, your country may have a similar site.
  • Spread the word on Facebook on their site and sites that link to them. (think of where you found them)

Again, sorry to hear about the loss of your gear. I was thinking of renting a motorcycle through a similar service and I don't think I will. I certainly will not rent mine out. I could see it coming back crashed and the guy getting away with it.

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength."

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ +16 more
BrentSchumer
BrentSchumer Senior Member • Posts: 1,029
Re: Thanks for the heads-up

Smaug01 wrote:

Here are a couple of ideas:

• I didn't read the whole correspondence, but did you eventually file the police report? That's key, in my opinion. A detective should be able to track him down via internet history, IP address, etc.
  • How about signing up for a new account rent something else to him and setting up a sting? Get him on camera, if nothing else. Ideally, have the police ready to nab him when he shows up and you can identify him?
  • Do you have the serial #s for your gear recorded somewhere? That could go in the police report and possibly get it recovered from ebay.

Unless you're in a tiny town, no police department is going to use resources on tracking down individual camera thieves.  At best if the guy is eventually caught for something more serious they may tack on charges.

BrentSchumer's gear list:BrentSchumer's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6400 Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
abe4652 Senior Member • Posts: 2,263

YohahN wrote:

I’d appreciate it if you did not insinuate anything. I never once refused to share the serial numbers you’ve asked for, perhaps this is my first time seeing your comment since I haven’t even read half these responses on DPReview yet.

Simply put, I wish I could share the serial numbers because it is important for people to know if they are carrying stolen gear but unfortunately I don’t have them anymore due to an error that I’ve made.

And let me guess.

You inherited your camera equipment, because your never had any documentation of the serial number right?

I'll assume that you forgot from which store you bought the equipment, right? Becasue they would have a record of the serial numbers.

EE-TV
EE-TV Senior Member • Posts: 1,480

This whole thing reads like a PR stunt.

A previously unheard of company is exposed for wrong-doing. Supposed victim ends up singing them praises in an eccentric manner. Hence, now we all know about this company. And we are somewhat admonished for backing up his initial misfortunes as now this "victim"'s tune has changed.
---------------------------------------------------
Bringing to light, Exposing what is
---------------------------------------------------

EE-TV's gear list:EE-TV's gear list
Nikon D5500 Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D40 Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +4 more
Aaron801 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,083

YohahN wrote:

I’d appreciate it if you did not insinuate anything. I never once refused to share the serial numbers you’ve asked for, perhaps this is my first time seeing your comment since I haven’t even read half these responses on DPReview yet.

Simply put, I wish I could share the serial numbers because it is important for people to know if they are carrying stolen gear but unfortunately I don’t have them anymore due to an error that I’ve made.

Hmmm... I don't really like to get caught up in blaming the victim, even if I'm not sure that there really is a victim (who know's as other have said, there could be some sort of scam in place). Still, it seems very odd that someone who is renting out very expensive gear wouldn't have written down serial numbers. Even if that's the case though that they wouldn't be able to get the serial numbers from the place that they purchased the gear. Without jumping to any particular conclusion it does seem odd to me that the serial numbers aren't documented.

I might assume that the service renting out the gear would have something in their literature that urges folks to document serial numbers before renting the stuff out. They might even have something in their paperwork that requires serial numbers of anything that's rented through them.

Do rental car companies not have the VIN numbers of the cars they rent out? I don't get it...

-- hide signature --

my flickr:
www.flickr.com/photos/128435329@N08/

Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads