How I Got my $3500 Camera Kit Stolen on KitSplit for $70

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
donmarse Regular Member • Posts: 349
Re: How I Got my $3500 Camera Kit Stolen on KitSplit for $70
SmilerGrogan Contributing Member • Posts: 633
Re: 1 in 50, not 1 in 5,000

As you’re one of the few trustworthy voices in the world of photography, you’re not allowed to retire until you’ve apprenticed enough junior metrologists to carry on your work into at least the 22nd century...

If it was 1 in 5,000 I'd have retired 6 years ago.

YohahN
OP YohahN Regular Member • Posts: 137
KitSplit has not reimbursed me yet

Hi everyone,

OP here. I just want to make it clear that KitSplit has not reimbursed me yet. We are currently discussing their terms & conditions in order for the reimbursement to take place. Hopefully this will resolve itself soon.

Thanks,

Yohahn

-- hide signature --

- YK

YohahN's gear list:YohahN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
Lightcycle
Lightcycle Regular Member • Posts: 126
Re: Agreed; the stretched police force has more to do than to help

Agreed, stupidity and greed are mostly on the same level. To trust such a non-transparent service I consider grossly negligent!

-- hide signature --

Questions? Ask Chris Dotskin, the man with the dotted face!
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." - George Orwell

Lightcycle's gear list:Lightcycle's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
abe4652 Senior Member • Posts: 2,262
Re: KitSplit has not reimbursed me yet

YohahN wrote:

Hi everyone,

OP here. I just want to make it clear that KitSplit has not reimbursed me yet. We are currently discussing their terms & conditions in order for the reimbursement to take place. Hopefully this will resolve itself soon.

Thanks,

Yohahn

To me, the only interesting part of this whole debacle is that KitSplit has not long ago made this go away by just giving you the damn money.

It would be difficult to estimate just how much business is lost each passing day by this remaining alive as an issue to people who have not heard of it before.

JakeJY Senior Member • Posts: 3,370

abe4652 wrote:

YohahN wrote:

Hi everyone,

OP here. I just want to make it clear that KitSplit has not reimbursed me yet. We are currently discussing their terms & conditions in order for the reimbursement to take place. Hopefully this will resolve itself soon.

Thanks,

Yohahn

To me, the only interesting part of this whole debacle is that KitSplit has not long ago made this go away by just giving you the damn money.

It would be difficult to estimate just how much business is lost each passing day by this remaining alive as an issue to people who have not heard of it before.

I remembered reading about a similar case a long while back and had to check if this thread was a repost. After checking, it's actually a different case, but from the same company. In that case, after a lot of outrage from the online community, the company finally just paid for the loss and promised they were making improvements to their polices to address this.

https://petapixel.com/2018/10/29/how-i-lent-my-4500-camera-kit-for-95-and-had-it-legally-stolen/

So I'm surprised they let almost the exact same thing happen and seem to have approached the issue in the exact same way (basically not take any responsibility and wait for online outrage before addressing it). At least this time they did finally release a new waiver program.

Contrast this with a different company Fat Llama, which had a claims progress that eventually led to replacement of the lost equipment.

https://petapixel.com/2019/03/20/how-i-had-over-5000-in-camera-gear-stolen-through-fat-llama/

JakeJY's gear list:JakeJY's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S9300 Nikon D5000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR +4 more
BrentSchumer
BrentSchumer Senior Member • Posts: 1,005

Leswick II wrote:

I have nothing against women start-ups. It appears that we've been warned here (on DPR) several months back when some yeyhoo rented $4500 kit from a NYC photographer....in exactly same manner. Yes, the photo of the offender did appear and not much could be done (?). Don't get why this sort of company doesn't sift people....similarly to applying for a rental space....or even stricter. Sure, I feel bad for the 'tog who lost its eq, tho I'm quite sure I wouldn't go this route to make $70.

Vetting people takes money.  Proper insurance reduces margins.

Slick marketing to a community that is used to professional trust is cheap.

BrentSchumer's gear list:BrentSchumer's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6400 Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
threw the lens
threw the lens Senior Member • Posts: 1,095

YohahN wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Yohahn

When there is a thread several pages long about it on possibly the biggest internet photography forum they are playing for time?

KitSplit sounds like trying to catch eels in the river with bare hands.

BrentSchumer wrote:

Leswick II wrote:

I have nothing against women start-ups. It appears that we've been warned here (on DPR) several months back when some yeyhoo rented $4500 kit from a NYC photographer....in exactly same manner. Yes, the photo of the offender did appear and not much could be done (?). Don't get why this sort of company doesn't sift people....similarly to applying for a rental space....or even stricter. Sure, I feel bad for the 'tog who lost its eq, tho I'm quite sure I wouldn't go this route to make $70.

Vetting people takes money. Proper insurance reduces margins.

I sit here still incredulous that The Business Model of one photographer handing over his equipment to another was not insured for by the company.

BrentSchumer

abe4652 wrote:

BrentSchumer wrote:

Leswick II wrote:

Vetting people takes money. Proper insurance reduces margins.

I sit here still incredulous that The Business Model of one photographer handing over his equipment to another was not insured for by the company.

That's the whole point of the business model!  Gear rental without shipping, vetting, or insurance allows you to capture the profit and shift off the risk.

Sony RX100 III Sony a6400 Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
Doug Haag Senior Member • Posts: 1,853
Re: Viral Post

WarrenPeas wrote:

I'm unaware of how the KitSplit company is viewed among its peers. In business, perception is everything. I look at the OP's original post, and I would make me feel like I got mugged in a Craigslist exchange while the repeat perpetrator watched on in the distance. The simple fact that the owner of the company literally created an account (her first post was the reply to OP and this thread) for the purpose of addressing this matter shows the significance of this misstep to the company. They may be taking a step in the right direction, and I certainly hope that KitSplit addresses the matter towards its audience in a proper fashion. The lack of foresight in how to address incidents that can lead towards a downward trend of the company bottom line is eye brow raising to say the least.

I found it interesting that LisbethK's profile indicates that she joined DPReview on June 14, 2016.  Yet, as you say, her first ever post was in this thread 3 years later.  So if the account was "created for the purpose of addressing this matter" (your words), she anticipated the issue three years ago.

YohahN
OP YohahN Regular Member • Posts: 137
The End of the KitSplit Saga

UPDATE (07.12.19):

I’m happy to share that KitSplit has made the effort to make things right by reimbursing me for my stolen gear on their platform.

But more importantly, KitSplit is making changes in order to prevent this from happening again, which no other rental platform is currently offering but I hope they do as well — protecting equipment owners who opt in for volunteer parting.

Their first step towards this promise is announcing the “KitSplit Theft Protection Owner Guarantee” policy.

Obviously, this policy may not be a perfect end-all solution right away, but at least they are trying, and that’s all I could ask for.

It became apparent after talking to KitSplit that this policy has been in the works for a while. But it’s also undeniable to say the least that it was the collective voice of the community that helped bring this decision into fruition, and so for that, both KitSplit and I thank you all for driving this change.

Please feel free to email KitSplit with any feedback you may have in regards to improving their platform since they would love to hear from you and be kept accountable, in order to truly be a marketplace for filmmakers by filmmakers.

You can read about KitSplit’s initiative to protect future owners with their new policy here:

https://blog.kitsplit.com/announcing-kitsplit-theft-protection-owner-guarantee/

P.S. sorry things took so long to wrap up. I asked KitSplit to grant me the title of “Breaker of Chains” but they kept insisting that it was taken already so we just settled with the original title of “The Yohahn” given by Lisbeth, Founder/CEO, KitSplit.

-- hide signature --

- YK

YohahN's gear list:YohahN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
BrentSchumer
Re: The End of the KitSplit Saga

Good update.  Theft coverage should be mandatory.  The End.

Graham Meale
Graham Meale Senior Member • Posts: 2,763

Good result. I only just came across this thread and spent an interesting half hour reading it. I must say, insurance or not, I would never hire my gear out under any circumstances.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +7 more
threw the lens
threw the lens Senior Member • Posts: 1,095

Did KitSplit reimburse you 100%, on the condition that they write the wording of your follow up post?

That post looks unusually generous to KitSplit.

mdmarqphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 515

threw the lens wrote:

That post looks unusually generous to KitSplit.

I got the same feeling.

FluidKnowledge Regular Member • Posts: 293

So is no one actually going to try to track down the thief?

Aaron801 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,060

That's great! Good that those folks ended up doing the right thing. It seems incredibly naive (to put it generously) that they ever assumed that they didn't need some sort of guarantee for exactly this kind of issue, but at least they eventually figured it out.

I like hearing about good things happening to good people, but I also like hearing about really bad things happening to rotten people which is why I'm curious about the thief? I'd love to hear that this guy is busted for this and hopefully for other of the same. At the very least, I have to wonder if there's a better way to get info and screen these folks so that a guy like that isn't able to rent in the first place and then if he does and ends up stealing stuff that there's a good way to track and of course nab him...

-- hide signature --

my flickr:
www.flickr.com/photos/128435329@N08/

Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more

I'm sure I'm missing something, but:

" For owners who opt in, we are pledging to cover the costs if a renter disappears with the gear and refuses to return it. For the renter, there’s no additional cost."

1) Why would an owner not "opt-in" to be covered in case someone takes his camera? Is it because it costs extra?

2) I guess when they say for the renter there's no additional cost, it means that it costs more for the owner if he "opts in."

Still rather poor. This should be automatic, and built in.

Aaron801 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,060

abe4652 wrote:

I'm sure I'm missing something, but:

" For owners who opt in, we are pledging to cover the costs if a renter disappears with the gear and refuses to return it. For the renter, there’s no additional cost."

1) Why would an owner not "opt-in" to be covered in case someone takes his camera? Is it because it costs extra?

2) I guess when they say for the renter there's no additional cost, it means that it costs more for the owner if he "opts in."

Still rather poor. This should be automatic, and built in.

I agree, if there's not enough of a profit incentive to rent out your gear after you've paid the fees and extra on top of that for their insurance/guarantee/whatever then it seems like the whole model this is built on is doomed to fail...

-- hide signature --

my flickr:
www.flickr.com/photos/128435329@N08/

Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads