RX10 IV - Perfect Yellowstone Camera?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
RobbieV
RobbieV Contributing Member • Posts: 526
RX10 IV - Perfect Yellowstone Camera?

It was for me! I was fretting over camera and lens choice for a trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton that I just got back from.  I wanted great quality for landscape to Wildlife and I want to be able to hike for miles with it.  I couldn't be happier with the way the RX10 handled almost all situations.  Of course, there were times when I could've used more reach and I took my A7iii with 16-35 for when I wanted to be more creative with the wide angle, but it stayed in the car most of the time.  I've got shots here that go up to ISO 6400 and I see no problem with it.  The Sigma 150-600 stayed home and I have no regrets.

-- hide signature --

Robbie
www.flickr.com/rvaughn
www.robvaughnphoto.com

RobbieV's gear list:RobbieV's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a7 III Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE
Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 39,576
Re: RX10 IV - Perfect Yellowstone Camera?

All Nice shots. Been there 4 or 5 times and never saw a wolf!

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
RobbieV
OP RobbieV Contributing Member • Posts: 526

Bill Borne wrote:

All Nice shots. Been there 4 or 5 times and never saw a wolf!

Thanks!  I got lucky one morning and saw 5 wolves trying to get at a dead calf, but momma bison kept fighting them off!

-- hide signature --

Robbie
www.flickr.com/rvaughn
www.robvaughnphoto.com

AlwynS Senior Member • Posts: 2,340

Very nice selection.  The bursting mud bubble is my favourite

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

AlwynS's gear list:AlwynS's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Sony RX10 IV
Rodger1943
Rodger1943 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,776

Great looking results. The RX10 M4 certainly did the job well and you didn't have to worry about which lens to use.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ1000 FZ200 Sony RX10 iv

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 +2 more
Stephen Ingraham Senior Member • Posts: 1,815

Wonderful set!

Stephen Ingraham's gear list:Stephen Ingraham's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony RX10 III Sony RX10 IV Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Olympus OM-D E-M10 +4 more
Dirkvd001
Dirkvd001 Junior Member • Posts: 33

Nice pictures. I concur that it is a perfect travel camera

Coyote near Storm Point Trail Yellowstone NP

Squirrel near Pelican Creek Yellowstone NP

Elk at the Wraith Falls

Bison at Hayden Valley Yellowstone NP

Regards,

Dirk

-- hide signature --

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it. - Confucius

Dirkvd001's gear list:Dirkvd001's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 1,004

Very true, many posts about what to take and it can be overwhelming.

Yes, depends on itinerary and who all is traveling together and when you do certain types of trips at a location you just do not want to be changing lenses too much and second guessing.

It is actually less stressful when you have a camera that the user thinks will take care of what they need. This can be a RX-10 or A73 with lens or other p&s or X100f whatever.

If you see a shot you want to grab it not look away and miss it. Sometimes I will keep my eye on the viewfinder ready to go using it as my eyes and just a part of my body.

Sometimes one just does not want to be bogged down with a heavy camera bag and sometimes the location dictates common sense safety to the non photographer who may just recognize a brand name.

Most locals just know where to go and not go.

Even locally where I live I would never ever ever bring a camera into areas even during day light hours.

The caveat is some local public events where it is normal to see cameras is different be aware and put your camera away or know when to stop

Trips like this is completely different where I was going with people type photography in public

If I had a big trip planned I have the RX-10 IV or RX-100 VI on my radar.

DUTCH van Atlanta Senior Member • Posts: 1,642

LenRivers wrote:

If I had a big trip planned I have the RX-10 IV or RX-100 VI on my radar.

Just back from a trip where both of those were used. One where I didn’t need the extra long reach, and one where I did.

RX10IV

RX100VI

DUTCH van Atlanta's gear list:DUTCH van Atlanta's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI +2 more
georgehakim
georgehakim Regular Member • Posts: 239

Excellent photos. I was also fretting over camera and lens choice for an African safari later this year and finally purchased the RX10IV. I haven't used it much yet, but seeing your photos I believe I made the right decision. Thanks for posting.

-- hide signature --

~George

georgehakim's gear list:georgehakim's gear list
Ricoh GR II Sony RX10 IV Pentax KP Sony a7 III Sony a7R II +21 more
LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 1,004

cool thanks

LynnObie
LynnObie Regular Member • Posts: 274

Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos you took in Yellowstone!  Makes me want to go back tomorrow!

LynnObie's gear list:LynnObie's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Apple iPhone XS Max
RobbieV

AlwynS wrote:

Very nice selection. The bursting mud bubble is my favourite

I hear ya! The mud pots are so interesting and always one of my favorite things at Yellowstone!

-- hide signature --

Robbie
www.flickr.com/rvaughn
www.robvaughnphoto.com

RobbieV

Dirkvd001 wrote:

Thank you and great coyote picture!

-- hide signature --

Robbie
www.flickr.com/rvaughn
www.robvaughnphoto.com

RobbieV

georgehakim wrote:

Excellent photos. I was also fretting over camera and lens choice for an African safari later this year and finally purchased the RX10IV. I haven't used it much yet, but seeing your photos I believe I made the right decision. Thanks for posting.

If you want to free yourself from big lenses and changing lenses, I don't see how you can go wrong with the RX10iii on safari!

-- hide signature --

Robbie
www.flickr.com/rvaughn
www.robvaughnphoto.com

Dirkvd001
Dirkvd001 Junior Member • Posts: 33

RobbieV wrote:

Dirkvd001 wrote:

Thank you and great coyote picture!

Thank you. He was very intrigued to see us as we were only 10 yards away and he was watching my wife and daughter closely to see what they were up to. That gave me the opportunity to take pictures from a different angle.

-- hide signature --

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it. - Confucius

Dirkvd001's gear list:Dirkvd001's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
mhwarner Senior Member • Posts: 1,132

georgehakim wrote:

I took the RX10IV to Africa last September and came back with wonderful photos, as well as a large number of excellent videos. I did take a Canon 70D with 18-400 Tamron zoom but it became a backup only and I never used it. The Sony made it so easy to switch from stills to video and the 600mm reach really came in handy. I was limited on weight due to small plane flights between camps but had no issues without the long heavy lenses and tripods. Handholding in a safari vehicle was not a problem. I also used a Canon G7X II for night shots around the camp and a few Milky Way shots.

SONY DSC-RX10M4 ISO 800 1/250 600 mm (EQ35mm)

SONY DSC-RX10M4 ISO 500 1/400 485 mm (EQ35mm)

-- hide signature --
georgehakim
georgehakim Regular Member • Posts: 239

mhwarner wrote:

georgehakim wrote:

I took the RX10IV to Africa last September and came back with wonderful photos, as well as a large number of excellent videos. I did take a Canon 70D with 18-400 Tamron zoom but it became a backup only and I never used it. The Sony made it so easy to switch from stills to video and the 600mm reach really came in handy. I was limited on weight due to small plane flights between camps but had no issues without the long heavy lenses and tripods. Handholding in a safari vehicle was not a problem. I also used a Canon G7X II for night shots around the camp and a few Milky Way shots.

SONY DSC-RX10M4 ISO 800 1/250 600 mm (EQ35mm)

SONY DSC-RX10M4 ISO 500 1/400 485 mm (EQ35mm)

Wow!! I am now glad I got the RX10iv for my upcoming African Safari (Tanzania). I hope I can get shots like that with it. Thanks for posting.

-- hide signature --

~George

georgehakim's gear list:georgehakim's gear list
Ricoh GR II Sony RX10 IV Pentax KP Sony a7 III Sony a7R II +21 more
Dodge_Rock
Dodge_Rock Senior Member • Posts: 2,138

It sure looks like it was the perfect Y-S camera for you.  Nice weather & fantastic setting, plus perfect timing to catch all you did during your visit window.  Really like the low cloud/mist rolling in from the right at the edge of the grand canyon of Y-S.

Well done.

Luis Gabriel Photography
Luis Gabriel Photography Senior Member • Posts: 2,086

Great job.

I used to bring my main gear but an rx10 IV will be my choice to Yellowstone next year for my 4th visit. The ability to quickly change focal length while getting good quality photos is too good specially since I am doing it with my wife for vacation not for a paid job.

For wide angle I will just use my Mate 20x which has a 16mm lens. More than good enough for IG and Facebook. 😁

I may even try the p1000 for super far away animals to see how it does

Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list:Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a6500 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art Sony FE 12-24mm F4 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads