How much is the XF 16-80mm f/4 going to cost?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
concorde 1954 Forum Member • Posts: 61
Re: How much is the XF 16-80mm f/4 going to cost?

What is  GAS?

 concorde 1954's gear list:concorde 1954's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon D80 Sigma 18-50mm F2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM
Adamant Contributing Member • Posts: 751
Re: How much is the XF 16-80mm f/4 going to cost?

OfDaniel wrote:

I’m excited about this lens. I’m just not interested in the 16-55 2.8, it’s huge, no IS and 2.8 is still not fast enough for the lower light work I do. The excellent primes I have cover those areas.

I certainly understand your argument, but I must say: 16-55 + X-H1 is a wonderful combination. It's so easy to get tack sharp images that it comes as a shock when one isn't crystal clear.  It's a boring combo, for sure. The 16-55 has been around for a while, and nobody views the X-H1 as the "sexy" Fuji camera, but man do they sing when paired together.

That said, I'd love to have the extra 55-80 range for a travel lens, as I'm still cropping my 16-55 a bit on the long end. The question is whether Fuji can deliver a lens that is sharper than the 18-135, which I've always found wanting.

Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 13,781
Re: How much is the XF 16-80mm f/4 going to cost?

lewiedude2 wrote:

Yet it hasn't been labeled a Red Badge lens. I would think that the price would be around that of the 10-24. Currently at $899 on BandH.com, after the "permanent" $100 price reduction...list was $999. So, I will say $900. And, I don't need it or want it.

Yup, +1 for me as well.  I think for many who don't already have a favorite lens for travel, this might be the "pick of the litter."  However, for me, the 16-55 checks every box.  I like the constant aperture both for low light, and occasionally, a bit of subject isolation at the longer end of its FL range (though the latter is more rare in my case).  I also appreciate the superb IQ throughout the range.  I suspect if I had more use for the 55-80 range, then this would be an excellent choice for my kit, however, I would continue to opt for the 16-55 even if the 16-80 had been available at the time I bought it.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

 Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
holashobby Regular Member • Posts: 315
Re: How much is the XF 16-80mm f/4 going to cost?

Cagey75 wrote:

For those looking forward to this lens, great! I just hope it isn't $1K or more or I feel you are being taken to the bank. I can see why those not using an XH1 are interested, but for those of us who are benefiting from IBIS, it's not all that exciting. The 16-55 is the better option by far IMO. You can get this lens for a lot less than $1K used, if you look hard enough.

The lens has merit even for some H1 users like myself, as a walk-around lens, its smaller size, more useful 16-80 range. Its smaller aperture is less of an issue in good light. In addition, its OIS works even better due to Fuji's cooperative control on H1 making this potentially a very good video lens. For these reasons, I suspect I may prefer it to the 16-55.

 holashobby's gear list:holashobby's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Veteran Member • Posts: 9,272
Re: How much is the XF 16-80mm f/4 going to cost?

BillGarrett wrote:

I sure hope the 16-80 launches with a price point well below $1000US as some here have predicted, though my own prediction is that it will be $999 street at first. It's definitely a lens I'm interested in... though if it's $1k I might have to figure out how to do without it.

Fuji seems to be quite proud of their constant aperture lenses.  Their variable aperture lenses are about half to 2/3 the price of the fixed aperture lenses - with the exception of the 100-400.  The 16-80 is slow - especially for a mid-range lens.

The most expensive Fuji zooms are the 50-140 and 100-400.  The 50-140 is an internal zoom lens - that is the front of the lens does not extend when you zoom.  The 100-400 is expensive because it is a long zoom.  However, since it has a lock to prevent zoom creep, I assume it is external zoom like the remainder of the Fuji zooms.  One thing that makes the 50-140 expensive is the internal zoom.  I much prefer internal to external zoom but you will pay for it.  The 16-80 is an external zoom lens.

So I would expect the same price range as the 16-55 f2.8 at least initially.

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

 Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +9 more
DangerouslyCheesey Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: How much is the XF 16-80mm f/4 going to cost?
1

Cagey75 wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

Cagey75 wrote:

If that is the case I don't see why anyone would want it over the already excellent 16-55 2.8? Sure, it's shorter, but give me the 2.8 over a bit of extra reach any day of the week.

It’s not hard to see. Longer reach and OIS.

It is hard to see for me otherwise I wouldn't have posted. For XH1 users like me ois is insignificant, and a bit of extra reach is doing what exactly? Because at f4 it's not great for portraiture, it's too short for wildlife, what exactly is the region between 55 and 80 at f4 doing for you that people are so excited for? At that price I think I'd much rather have the 18-55 and a 90 f2 but hey, let people spend their money how they like. I just can't see the excitement.

People seem to think it's going to be a lot smaller and lighter than the 16-55, I doubt it. If it's longer and also has ois, then it's not going to be small, lighter perhaps if its mostly plastic. Even if I needed the ois I'd find this hard to get exited about. The 18-135 already exists.

That's fine, but they are not building lenses around the needs of owners of the only Fuji camera with in body stabilization lol.  For the 98% of Fuji shooters not using an X-H1, the lack of OIS lenses is arguably one of Fuji's biggest holes.

steviewonder20 Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: How much is the XF 16-80mm f/4 going to cost?

Cagey75 wrote:

FTOG wrote:

Wouldn't be surprised if it cost ~1,000 EUR.

If that is the case I don't see why anyone would want it over the already excellent 16-55 2.8? Sure, it's shorter, but give me the 2.8 over a bit of extra reach any day of the week.

Smaller, lighter, more reach and has OIS. It’s a perfect travel lens with hopefully better IQ than the 18-135. Paired with a fast prime, your kit is complete.

holashobby Regular Member • Posts: 315
Re: How much is the XF 16-80mm f/4 going to cost?
1

Cagey75 wrote:

A_Mist wrote:

Cagey75 wrote:

If that is the case I don't see why anyone would want it over the already excellent 16-55 2.8? Sure, it's shorter, but give me the 2.8 over a bit of extra reach any day of the week.

It’s not hard to see. Longer reach and OIS.

It is hard to see for me otherwise I wouldn't have posted. For XH1 users like me ois is insignificant, and a bit of extra reach is doing what exactly? Because at f4 it's not great for portraiture, it's too short for wildlife, what exactly is the region between 55 and 80 at f4 doing for you that people are so excited for? At that price I think I'd much rather have the 18-55 and a 90 f2 but hey, let people spend their money how they like. I just can't see the excitement.People seem to think it's going to be a lot smaller and lighter than the 16-55, I doubt it. If it's longer and also has ois, then it's not going to be small, lighter perhaps if its mostly plastic. Even if I needed the ois I'd find this hard to get exited about. The 18-135 already exists.

This XF lens is wider and longer than the 18-55 and real-life mock-ups show that it will be smaller than the 18-135 and much smaller than the 16-55 with a larger aperture than the 18-135 for most of its focal range

16-80 vs 18-135

16-80 on an X-T3

 holashobby's gear list:holashobby's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
steviewonder20 Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: How much is the XF 16-80mm f/4 going to cost?
1

concorde 1954 wrote:

What is GAS?

Gear acquisition syndrome.

concorde 1954 Forum Member • Posts: 61
Re: How much is the XF 16-80mm f/4 going to cost?

Thank you for that,I would hate to think how much  I have spent on gear over the last 40 years but not collected gear just sold it as  I have  moved on.

Cheers  David

 concorde 1954's gear list:concorde 1954's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon D80 Sigma 18-50mm F2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads