If you had about $650

Started 3 months ago | Questions
OP burritosandbeer Regular Member • Posts: 165
Re: Glass is always a better investment

Martin Ocando wrote:

A new lens, especially if is a focal length that you don't have will always be better than a new camera. Unless you definitively need a new camera, because the one you currently have has been damaged or lacks features that you definitively need. A new lens will widen your options (pun intended).

Another option is to save the money and get a G9 in the future, or a Leica 8-18mm which is a more modern design than the 7-14mm.

The reasons the G85 looks so attractive are

1.  Newer shutter (I do see shutter shock on my 100-300II)\

2.  IBIS and Dual IS would get me better stailization with the lenses I currently use

3.  Weatherproofing A kit 12-60 and the 100-300 I already have would give me a solid MM coverage range that can stand up to the weather well

4.  Better E-shutter than my G7 and the option of EFC shutter

After some research the Lowa 7.5mm F2 is looking pretty attractive as well.

burritosandbeer's gear list:burritosandbeer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,866
Re: If you had about $650

burritosandbeer wrote:

Would you buy a used Panasonic 7-14mm f/4, or nab a new G85?

I liove my G7, but the better shutter and ibis of the G85 makes it an awfully tempting item. Or keep my G7 another year and nab an UWA lens as it's one of the gaps in my lens collection.

If you had a limited budget and had to pick one, which would you get?

Normally I'd recommend glass (and I've been doing that these past couple of years) but I find that stabilization is a very useful feature to have.  Which would you get more benefit from?  A wider FoV or stabilization?

I wouldn't get it just because you don't have anything covering the super wide range.  Not everyone needs something wider than 12mm.

Lepewhi Senior Member • Posts: 1,269

I Don't have a wide angle this wide, so am not sure how often you'd use it.  But, if it's Something you want, I'd keep the G7 and get the lens.  You might find the camera even cheaper on the Black Friday sales.  New cameras are always fun to have, but there will Always be new cameras. By Black Friday, you might have decided on a different body, or just keeping the G7.  It's really no slouch.

-- hide signature --

Slippery when wet.

Lepewhi's gear list:Lepewhi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,558

burritosandbeer wrote:

3. Weatherproofing A kit 12-60 and the 100-300 I already have would give me a solid MM coverage range that can stand up to the weather well

I assume you know, but just in case you didn't.  The original version of the 100-300mm was not splash proof.  The mark II version is splash proof.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +20 more
Peadingle
Peadingle Senior Member • Posts: 1,135

Why not a used G85 and Rokinon 7.5 fisheye. That shouldn't break your budget, and removes the decision from the process.

-- hide signature --

"https://www.flickr.com/photos/6pix/"

Peadingle's gear list:Peadingle's gear list
Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Jorginho Forum Pro • Posts: 14,841
G7 has a better EVF. Swivle screen.

So it depend son what you shoot as Always when cams are quite different. What the G7 might have going for it are the ergonomics (just from the look of it), batterylife (??), Swivle screen and for sure EVF,

Downside: it does have an AAF and it does have shuttershock on occasion. But so does my GH4 and I actually have NEVER noticed it. May be G7 is somehow worse?

IBIS is something I persoanlly would miss with my non stabilised lenses. But I am used to Em1.2 IBIS and I am quite sure the GX85 is not nearly as good…

I think I personally feel the G7 is a great cam, certainly at the price with no real downsides other than the occasional shuttershock. DFD AF is in there too, so that is pretty good as well.

7-14 Panny would be my choice.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +8 more
Jorginho Forum Pro • Posts: 14,841
UWA and landscapes are not that ideal.

Many people think it. I have the 7,5 mm LAowa and I rarely use it for landscapes. To me the problem with such a wide angle is that you try to suck it all in and no real subject standsout. It is what many people are doing: they see all the landscape and its beauty and think that it woul dbe a nice photo. May be it is, just most of the time not for me.

The FL I use most (or lenses) currently are the 20 mm f1.7 and 56 mm f1.4. Also the 35-100 f2.8 was used a whole lot prior to 56 mm f1.4 especially.

On the Nikon D800e is is the 70-200 f2.8 rather than the 24-70...

But like Always: to each their own.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +8 more
LightCameraAction Regular Member • Posts: 151

burritosandbeer wrote:

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Lens>camera. My hesitation would be whether you'll actually use a UWA zoom, because it's a specialty lens. I like my 7-14 but it took awhile to learn how to take advantage of its unique qualities.

Cheers,

Rick

I'll add a bit of information I omitted earlier. Near the end of summer I will be taking a kayaking trip to isle royale and was looking at more landscapes.

That's sounds like a ton of fun. I am from Michigan (live in Virginia now), but I have unfortunately never made it to isle royale. From what I've have heard, make sure you are not going during biting fly season.

Here is my input. I am not terribly familiar with Panasonic camera models, but I don't think upgrading the body is going to get you much improvement for this trip. I suspect most shots will be landscape shots in reasonable light (and I hope you are bringing a light tripod... otherwise get a tripod).

The lens may or may not be useful depending on what you are shooting. I gave been on a couple trips where I was sad I didn't have anything wider than 14mm (I now have the Panasonic 7 to 14). However, I feel like 12 mm may be adequate for a place like isle royale. Also keep in mind that ultra wide angle must really be used carefully from a composition standpoint. Otherwise everything in the frame looks tiny and unimpressive.

Michael Meissner wrote:

burritosandbeer wrote:

3. Weatherproofing A kit 12-60 and the 100-300 I already have would give me a solid MM coverage range that can stand up to the weather well

I assume you know, but just in case you didn't. The original version of the 100-300mm was not splash proof. The mark II version is splash proof.

Yup, when I bought mine, I bought the Mark II for this reason, and dual IS if I were to go to a later body.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
LightCameraAction Regular Member • Posts: 151

burritosandbeer wrote:

Martin Ocando wrote:

A new lens, especially if is a focal length that you don't have will always be better than a new camera. Unless you definitively need a new camera, because the one you currently have has been damaged or lacks features that you definitively need. A new lens will widen your options (pun intended).

Another option is to save the money and get a G9 in the future, or a Leica 8-18mm which is a more modern design than the 7-14mm.

The reasons the G85 looks so attractive are

1. Newer shutter (I do see shutter shock on my 100-300II)\

2. IBIS and Dual IS would get me better stailization with the lenses I currently use

4. Better E-shutter than my G7 and the option of EFC shutter

After some research the Lowa 7.5mm F2 is looking pretty attractive as well.

I would be a bit reluctant to recommend the Lowa 7.5mm unless you want to try some star field shots (or other low light work). The reason  is that 7.5mm is very wide. There is a big difference between 7mm and 10mm. Unless you know that is what you want, a zoom provides extra flexibility to explore the world of ultra-wide angle photography (and I typically prefer prime lenses).

gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,093

burritosandbeer wrote:

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Lens>camera. My hesitation would be whether you'll actually use a UWA zoom, because it's a specialty lens. I like my 7-14 but it took awhile to learn how to take advantage of its unique qualities.

Cheers,

Rick

I'll add a bit of information I omitted earlier. Near the end of summer I will be taking a kayaking trip to isle royale and was looking at more landscapes.

With my E-M10 II and Rokinon $200 fisheye. .Lake Superior Picture Rocks NLS.

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +8 more
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,558
Re: G7 has a better EVF. Swivle screen.

Jorginho wrote:

So it depend son what you shoot as Always when cams are quite different. What the G7 might have going for it are the ergonomics (just from the look of it), batterylife (??), Swivle screen and for sure EVF,

Downside: it does have an AAF and it does have shuttershock on occasion. But so does my GH4 and I actually have NEVER noticed it. May be G7 is somehow worse?

IBIS is something I persoanlly would miss with my non stabilised lenses. But I am used to Em1.2 IBIS and I am quite sure the GX85 is not nearly as good…

Ummm, the OP asked about the G85, not the GX85.  The G85 has an OLED electronic viewfinder, swivel screen, being splash proof and it has an external microphone jack.  The GX85 has the smaller field sequential viewfinder, tilting rear screen, it is not splash proof, and it doesn't have the microphone jack.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +20 more
Gary Waugh Senior Member • Posts: 1,773

burritosandbeer wrote:

I liove my G7, but the better shutter and ibis of the G85 makes it an awfully tempting item. Or keep my G7 another year and nab an UWA lens as it's one of the gaps in my lens collection.

Maybe look into renting the lens for the trip.

-- hide signature --

Gary in PA

Pete_W
Pete_W Senior Member • Posts: 1,083

burritosandbeer wrote:

The 7-14mm lens, no question about it. Excellent lens.

And then get the G95 once the price has come down.

-- hide signature --

Pete

Pete_W's gear list:Pete_W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 +3 more
Eric Nepean
Eric Nepean Veteran Member • Posts: 4,377

Still not clear if you should prioritise the lens or the camera, but if you are looking at a UWA there are a number of options, its not clear the 7-14/4 is the best choice.

• Panny 7-14/4
  • Oly 7-14/2.8
  • Panny 8-18/2.8-4
  • Laowa 7.5/2 rectalinear
  • Laowa 9/2.8

Quite a number of poster have said that they like their 8-18 much better than the 7-14F/4.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Eric

Eric Nepean wrote:

Quite a number of poster have said that they like their 8-18 much better than the 7-14F/4.

I had looked at that, but the added $250 (when used) puts it outside the price range for what is most likely a specialty lens...

Eric Nepean
Eric Nepean Veteran Member • Posts: 4,377

burritosandbeer wrote:

Eric Nepean wrote:

I had looked at that, but the added $250 (when used) puts it outside the price range for what is most likely a specialty lens...

I got the Laowa 7.5/2 first. Small, fast, not too expensive.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Eric

Re: G7 has a better EVF. Swivle screen.

Jorginho wrote:

So I do see shutter shock on my 100-300, makes me use the e-shutter mode almost exclusively on this lens.  Its been annoying, but not the end of the world by any means

gary0319 wrote:

burritosandbeer wrote:

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Cheers,

Rick

With my E-M10 II and Rokinon $200 fisheye. .Lake Superior Picture Rocks NLS.

That gives me a really good idea how wide that 7.5 is.  I've been at that Miner's castle overlook before, and is that mosquito beach?

Gary Waugh wrote:

burritosandbeer wrote:

Maybe look into renting the lens for the trip.

I was looking at this, but at $600 to buy, $130 to rent for the length of the trip seems like a waste if I like it...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads