If you had about $650

Started 2 months ago | Questions
burritosandbeer Regular Member • Posts: 152
If you had about $650

Would you buy a used Panasonic 7-14mm f/4, or nab a new G85?

I liove my G7, but the better shutter and ibis of the G85 makes it an awfully tempting item. Or keep my G7 another year and nab an UWA lens as it's one of the gaps in my lens collection.

If you had a limited budget and had to pick one, which would you get?

burritosandbeer's gear list:burritosandbeer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 15,993
Re: If you had about $650

Lens>camera. My hesitation would be whether you'll actually use a UWA zoom, because it's a specialty lens. I like my 7-14 but it took awhile to learn how to take advantage of its unique qualities.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

Sranang Boi Senior Member • Posts: 1,833

It's best to get the camera instead of the lens. After you have sold the GF7 you'll have money to put away towards the next lens. Shop around and look out for cash back offers on the G85. It shows up for as little as U$500 from time to time. i just had a look and there is a mint one for U$549 at https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-G85-16mp-Mirrorless-Micro-Four-Thirds-Digital-Camera-492/143299864740?hash=item215d5668a4:g:a24AAOSwQjxdCQm4
Make them an offer they can't refuse...

Sranang Boi's gear list:Sranang Boi's gear list
Leica V-LUX 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +1 more
gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,942

burritosandbeer wrote:

I liove my G7, but the better shutter and ibis of the G85 makes it an awfully tempting item. Or keep my G7 another year and nab an UWA lens as it's one of the gaps in my lens collection.

I’d buy a Rokinon 7.5 fisheye for about $200, and buy beer with the other $450. More fun all the way around..

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +8 more
String
String Senior Member • Posts: 2,086

Looking at your gear list, I'd personally get a used 12-35 2.8

String's gear list:String's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
Martin Ocando
MOD Martin Ocando Veteran Member • Posts: 6,290
Glass is always a better investment

A new lens, especially if is a focal length that you don't have will always be better than a new camera. Unless you definitively need a new camera, because the one you currently have has been damaged or lacks features that you definitively need. A new lens will widen your options (pun intended).

Another option is to save the money and get a G9 in the future, or a Leica 8-18mm which is a more modern design than the 7-14mm.

-- hide signature --

Martin
"One of the biggest mistakes a photographer can make is to look at the real world and cling to the vain hope that next time his film will somehow bear a closer resemblance to it" - Galen Rowell

Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +10 more
Tommi K1 Senior Member • Posts: 6,964
Usually glass first

burritosandbeer wrote:

New lens, as you don't benefit much from the new bodies by the IQ or general photography needs.

Of course with the Panasonic you have one decision to make and that is purely based the video features and quality. Do you need the video quality from G85?

The old saying goes "glass, glass, glass", so it is the safe bet to go first.

But the 7-14mm f/4 is special lens, Ultra Wide Angle and many gets those and have small remorse as they don't eventually use them as much.

The 12mm is often good choice as you can easily in many cases to the panorama, so get that way a better quality for architecture, landscape etc. But if you have moving details them like a trains, cars, high wind trees/grass/sea etc then it can become challenging or impossible.

Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,531

burritosandbeer wrote:

It always depends on what you shoot. I bought both Olympus 9-18mm's (classic 4/3rds and micro 4/3rds), and in 2018, I shot about 1.5% of my shots with interchangeable lens cameras with both lenses. So far in 2019, I haven't used either lens. So, I'm not as drawn to wide angle lenses as I originally thought. Maybe you are more drawn to wide angle subjects that I am.

If you find yourself often shooting at 12mm or 14mm, depending on your base lenses, and wishing you had more, then it might tilt the balance to getting the lens.

The one niche where I do like using the 9-18mm is for fall pictures, where I tend to bring out my older cameras. I like using the classic 4/3rds 9-18mm on my E-1, particularly since I don't have to worry as much about keeping the shutter speed fast enough (E-1 didn't have IBIS). However, in general, you typically want to have something close to the camera in focus, rather than just w/a.

Also note, as you go wider, you may not want to have people towards the edges. There is distortion in all wide angle lenses as you go wider, and look at the sides.

I do tend to throw in the micro 4/3rds 9-18mm into the bag, because it is so small. But as I said, I'm not often drawn to use it.

I would say go for the G85.  One factor to consider is the G85 is splash proof, and if you pick up the 12-60mm 'kit' f/3.5-5.6 lens at the same time, you have a splash resistant combination.  You might not plan to shoot in the rain, but rain does happen, and it can be useful to be prepared, particularly if you are shooting things for other people, you might not have an option to abandon a shot due to rain.

I don't know if the G7 offers unlimited video recording, but the non-European G85 does.  You might not need it, but if you are recording video for live events, you might run into situations where you need to record more than 29 minutes and 59 seconds.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +20 more
OP burritosandbeer Regular Member • Posts: 152

String wrote:

Can I ask why?  I find the 14-42 kit lens plenty sharp, and if I'm worried about low light I opt for one of my prime lenses instead.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Lens>camera. My hesitation would be whether you'll actually use a UWA zoom, because it's a specialty lens. I like my 7-14 but it took awhile to learn how to take advantage of its unique qualities.

Cheers,

Rick

I'll add a bit of information I omitted earlier.   Near the end of summer I will be taking a kayaking trip to isle royale and was looking at more landscapes.

400trix
400trix Contributing Member • Posts: 616

I rarely take out my UWA for landscapes, as that isn't what UWA is really for. It works better in close quarters or with a really strong foreground object. It's great for interiors, and that's where I like to use mine.

-- hide signature --

Archer in Boulder
God loves the noise just as much as the signal.

400trix's gear list:400trix's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more

gary0319 wrote:

burritosandbeer wrote:

I’d buy a Rokinon 7.5 fisheye for about $200, and buy beer with the other $450. More fun all the way around..

While normally I'd adamantly agree with you, I'm trying to drink less, and shoot more.  That, and I've never been a fan of fisheyes...

gary0319

burritosandbeer wrote:

gary0319 wrote:

burritosandbeer wrote:

While normally I'd adamantly agree with you, I'm trying to drink less, and shoot more. That, and I've never been a fan of fisheyes...

Well...…...I can relate to drinking less.

On the fisheye however, I too was reluctant to try one, but needed as cheap, light, wide angle for travel, and for $200 I thought I'd give it a try for a trip and than put it on the block. That was a couple of years ago and I found that, for me, de-fishing was in fact more desirable than the wide angles I had (the good ones are expensive and the inexpensive ones  are just...inexpensive). I also began to explore the interesting aspects of the fisheyes, more artsy fartsy than strictly documentary, and I really have come to like it. It normally accompanies me on every outing, now.

Panasonic LX100 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +8 more

Michael Meissner wrote:

burritosandbeer wrote:

If you had a limited budget and had to pick one, which would you

If you find yourself often shooting at 12mm or 14mm, depending on your base lenses, and wishing you had more, then it might tilt the balance to getting the lens.

The one niche where I do like using the 9-18mm is for fall pictures,

So, I do find myself at 14mm wishing for more on a number of nature shots, especially on trees and landscapes.

As far as video I did use the bypass on my g7 to enable unlimited recording.

Adielle
Adielle Senior Member • Posts: 1,664

Don't be surprised when you start noticing "moire" in your pictures after you switch to G85, it doesn't have an anti-aliasing filter.

gary0319

burritosandbeer wrote:

String wrote:

Can I ask why? I find the 14-42 kit lens plenty sharp, and if I'm worried about low light I opt for one of my prime lenses instead.

I'll have to agree with String.....all of your lenses are fine, but not capable of the image quality that the Panasonic12-35 2.8 or the Olympus 12-40 2.8 can give.

For many years I labored under the idea that my sub-Pro lenses were "good enough" and I had a friend that badgered me constantly to get better glass. Actually, it wasn't until my boat mechanic refused to  some sub par piece of equipment on my 20 year old classic Boston Whaler because, as he put it to me "why do you insist on putting junk on that nice boat?"

I followed the mechanics advice, and also that of my photographer friend; off loaded a few my kit quality lenses and bought my Olympus 12-40 2.8 Pro...…..wow!

Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 15,993

burritosandbeer wrote:

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Cheers,

Rick

I'll add a bit of information I omitted earlier. Near the end of summer I will be taking a kayaking trip to isle royale and was looking at more landscapes.

It will be a legit meaningful addition to a landscape kit, so I'd lean toward yes on the lens. The Laowa 7.5/2 prime is a less expensive alternative. Longer term, I'd also look at the Oly 7-14 Pro for weathersealing and snap MF. However, I don't know the going rate on the used market.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 3,468

burritosandbeer wrote:

I already have a Panasonic 7-14, which I rarely (no, never in the last 2 years) use.  And it's got the Panasonic 8mm FE filter holder and a filter to address the purple blob issue on Olympus cameras.

I'm not interested in a G85.

But my advice is to get both.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D7100 +13 more
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,531

burritosandbeer wrote:

So, I do find myself at 14mm wishing for more on a number of nature shots, especially on trees and landscapes.

Note for nature shots, you might experiment with shooting panoramas. You don't need to get a new lens, and you can see whether you can get the shots you want without plunking down the cash for the new lens. If it works, great. Go get the lens, and you probably will use it. If it doesn't, maybe having the lens will open things up, maybe not.

I do find there is a bit of difference between 14mm and 12mm. But as I get further into wide territory I find the normal pictures don't resonate with me. As I mentioned, I like using the 9-18mm on my E-1, but even there most of the shots are at 12mm or longer. But we are all different, just because extreme wide angle doesn't do much for me, maybe it will for you.

Of course there are times when I need wide angle because I want to shoot something and I can't back up (such as being on a boat in Boston harbor touring the Tall Ships that came into town, and wanting to capture the whole boat, or when I'm recording a large group performers and I'm sitting in the front row).

And of course with video, panoramas, etc. aren't an option. But you will presumably need to spend some time learning the ins and outs of the lens, and when UWA is good, and when it should be avoided.

I believe I've only used the 9-18mm for video once, and that was to capture a really large group.  My back was against the wall, and even at 9mm, I still had to pan a little (not as much as with my 12-40mm lens).  Unfortunately the Olympus 9-18mm is f/4 at 9mm, and the hall I was in was seriously dark.  I probably would have been better with a faster lens and pan over the group.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +20 more
gary0319

Michael Meissner wrote:

burritosandbeer wrote:

Note for nature shots, you might experiment with shooting panoramas. You don't need to get a new lens, and you can see whether you can get the shots you want without plunking down the cash for the new lens. If it works, great. Go get the lens, and you probably will use it. If it doesn't, maybe having the lens will open things up, maybe not.

I do find there is a bit of difference between 14mm and 12mm. But as I get further into wide territory I find the normal pictures don't resonate with me. As I mentioned, I like using the 9-18mm on my E-1, but even there most of the shots are at 12mm or longer. But we are all different, just because extreme wide angle doesn't do much for me, maybe it will for you.

Interesting you should mention this. I too had the 9-18 at one time, but really never came to like it much. So, one day I took a look at the images I had shot over some months with the 9-18 and found that only a couple of times did I shoot wider than 12mm. The 9-18 went on the block. I now have the Olympus 8mm fisheye, that is also in-camera corrected to rectilinear, and really  love it..... but I prefer the fisheye.

Of course there are times when I need wide angle because I want to shoot something and I can't back up (such as being on a boat in Boston harbor touring the Tall Ships that came into town, and wanting to capture the whole boat, or when I'm recording a large group performers and I'm sitting in the front row).

And of course with video, panoramas, etc. aren't an option. But you will presumably need to spend some time learning the ins and outs of the lens, and when UWA is good, and when it should be avoided.

I believe I've only used the 9-18mm for video once, and that was to capture a really large group. My back was against the wall, and even at 9mm, I still had to pan a little (not as much as with my 12-40mm lens). Unfortunately the Olympus 9-18mm is f/4 at 9mm, and the hall I was in was seriously dark. I probably would have been better with a faster lens and pan over the group.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads