Retirement gift to myself

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
MacWolf New Member • Posts: 11
Retirement gift to myself

I have the A7ii , the kit lens and the Tamron 28-75.  I have a retirement gift of $750 and its burning a hole in my pocket.  Looking for recommendations for a new lens. I mostly do landscape, architecture photography.

Lee in Pittsburgh

COtoNY Forum Member • Posts: 90
Re: Retirement gift to myself

Voigtlander 21 F3.5? Would give you something wider and has great sunstars.

COtoNY's gear list:COtoNY's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony a7R II Zeiss Loxia 35 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
Dirk W Veteran Member • Posts: 3,247

MacWolf wrote:

I have the A7ii , the kit lens and the Tamron 28-75. I have a retirement gift of $750 and its burning a hole in my pocket. Looking for recommendations for a new lens. I mostly do landscape, architecture photography.

Lee in Pittsburgh

Sell the kit lens, put the money together and get the new Tamron 17-28 f2.8, it will be the perfect complement to your 28-75 for landscape and architecture.

Dirk W's gear list:Dirk W's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a7R II Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +2 more
Rol Lei Nut Veteran Member • Posts: 4,587

COtoNY wrote:

Voigtlander 21 F3.5? Would give you something wider and has great sunstars.

+1

or spend a bit more and go for the ultimate: Loxia 21mm...

If size/weight is critical (hiking, trekking, long travels), the Voigtländer could be the better choice.

PWPhotography Senior Member • Posts: 7,684

MacWolf wrote:

I have the A7ii , the kit lens and the Tamron 28-75. I have a retirement gift of $750 and its burning a hole in my pocket. Looking for recommendations for a new lens. I mostly do landscape, architecture photography.

Lee in Pittsburgh

You might be able to get a used FE 16-35 ZA/4.0 OSS around $750 or only slightly more. That will complement to your Tamron 28-75 (E-mount version?) well for your described purpose. FE 16-35 ZA is very sharp especially in 16-28mm range, nice colors and contrast and not very big and heavy.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +15 more
akjos
akjos Veteran Member • Posts: 4,341
Re: Laowa 15mm F2

Laowa 15mm F2. Right there in your budget and it is an amazing lens. Once i have some money I'm definitely getting one.

caplanner Senior Member • Posts: 1,227

Dirk W wrote:

MacWolf wrote:

Lee in Pittsburgh

Sell the kit lens, put the money together and get the new Tamron 17-28 f2.8, it will be the perfect complement to your 28-75 for landscape and architecture.

This I a good recommendation although you’ll have to be patient while waiting for reviews and availability.

caplanner's gear list:caplanner's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a9 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +17 more
ContaxRTSII Regular Member • Posts: 307

+1

ContaxRTSII's gear list:ContaxRTSII's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VI Nikon D3S Sony a9 Nikon D500 +21 more
captura Forum Pro • Posts: 27,327

Dirk W wrote:

MacWolf wrote:

Lee in Pittsburgh

A great idea, but this new lens is taking a long time in getting to the stores.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony a7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM +3 more
101Colors
101Colors Regular Member • Posts: 140

Tokina 20mm Firin ... on sale now for $799

EDIT :: includes a free FotoPro X-Go Max Carbon Fiber Tripod with Built-In Monopod, FPH-62Q Ball Head

Probably my next lens !

-- hide signature --

: : My adapted lenses : :
: : Tamron - SP 90 ƒ2.8 Product code: 72E
: : Olympus G.Zuiko 50mm ƒ 1.4 (silver nose)
Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". Albert Einstein

101Colors's gear list:101Colors's gear list
Sony a7R III Zeiss Batis 25mm F2
SilvanBromide Senior Member • Posts: 3,804

PWPhotography wrote:

MacWolf wrote:

Lee in Pittsburgh

You might be able to get a used FE 16-35 ZA/4.0 OSS around $750 or only slightly more. That will complement to your Tamron 28-75 (E-mount version?) well for your described purpose. FE 16-35 ZA is very sharp especially in 16-28mm range, nice colors and contrast and not very big and heavy.

Agreed. I did quite a lot of travel with the FE 16-35 f4.0 ZA and I highly recommend it.

Excellent for the money, especially if you can find a used copy in decent condition!

-- hide signature --

Former Canon, Nikon and Pentax user.
Online Gallery: https://500px.com/raycologon

SilvanBromide's gear list:SilvanBromide's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony a6500 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +31 more
Trollmannx Senior Member • Posts: 5,471

Lots of suggestions here - but what do YOU need? Better spend the money on something that see real life use after the initial testing.

Money does not burn holes in pockets so no reason not to decouple feelings and appeal to common sense...

Have two of theese - rather embarrasing, a complete waste and nothing to be proud of.

I have the AT-X 14-20 F2 PRO DX - Tokina

https://tokinalens.com/product/at_x_14_20_f2_pro_dx/

Although APS-C, I have this for Canon and can also use it in crop mode on my A7. Very highly recommended, and I suppose your lens might be something similar in quality. One of the sharpest lenses ever tested by DxO.

Sony a7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM +3 more
OP MacWolf New Member • Posts: 11

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I have the Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 Lens left over from a6000.  I liked having a zoom.  Any suggestions on that end?

COtoNY Forum Member • Posts: 90

You'd need to spend a little bit more money, but you could get a Sony 70-300 used for about $900-1000.

COtoNY's gear list:COtoNY's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony a7R II Zeiss Loxia 35 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more

MacWolf wrote:

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I have the Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 Lens left over from a6000. I liked having a zoom. Any suggestions on that end?

Not that great a lens.

BurpgunChimp Contributing Member • Posts: 585

You could get a DJI robot for a different perspective.

Lan Senior Member • Posts: 1,101

MacWolf wrote:

Congratulations on your retirement!

On the basis that you've mentioned architectural photography have you thought about the Rokinon/Samyang 24mm Tilt Shift? Just a hair over budget, but a new one could be yours for <$800 at B&H.

Another suggestion, this time not related to your declared areas of specific interest; but something that could open up a different aspect of photography for you, have you considered a macro lens? A good 100mm ish macro can easily double as a portrait prime, and could well be the sharpest lens you'll ever own. Although the Sony 90mm is over budget, the Sony 50mm is within budget. To be honest I'd recommend something around 100mm though, as it provides a useful working distance for insects - 50mm is better suited to plants IMO.

Whatever you decide to buy, enjoy!

caplanner Senior Member • Posts: 1,227

MacWolf wrote:

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I have the Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 Lens left over from a6000. I liked having a zoom. Any suggestions on that end?

I like the recommendation for the 70-300.  I have the 70-200 F4.  The 70-300 wasn't available when I got my 70-200 and I haven't used the 70-300.  I use the 70-200 outdoors for portraits.

caplanner's gear list:caplanner's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a9 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads