Why is daylight WB so blue on the D750? Locked

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
AZBlue
AZBlue Senior Member • Posts: 2,361
Re: Why is daylight WB so blue on the D750?

Kung Fu wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

You couldn't shoot that without a ND filter?

Let’s see: using “sunny f16”, at f/2 ISO100, shutter speed would need to be 1/6400s. Max shutter speed on the D750 is 1/4000s.

Adding the ND brought that down 3 stops to 1/800s. So the answer to your question is no.

I'm basing my question on your EXIF settings. You can achieve the same exposure using ISO 50 at 1/3200 second, both of which the D750 supports. For greater subject separation, you should consider using a longer focal length. What you're getting at f/2 using this lens is nothing special or interesting.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
larrywilson
larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,680

AZBlue wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Let’s see: using “sunny f16”, at f/2 ISO100, shutter speed would need to be 1/6400s. Max shutter speed on the D750 is 1/4000s.

Adding the ND brought that down 3 stops to 1/800s. So the answer to your question is no.

I'm basing my question on your EXIF settings. You can achieve the same exposure using ISO 50 at 1/3200 second, both of which the D750 supports. For greater subject separation, you should consider using a longer focal length. What you're getting at f/2 using this lens is nothing special or interesting.

Yes, I agree with using a longer focal length lens.  A 35mm lens does not give a person the isolation of the subject as well as a longer length lens.  A nd filter is used for scenes like wanting to slow the shutter speed down for waterfalls or other scenes.

Larry

larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD +7 more
AZBlue

larrywilson wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Yes, I agree with using a longer focal length lens. A 35mm lens does not give a person the isolation of the subject as well as a longer length lens. A nd filter is used for scenes like wanting to slow the shutter speed down for waterfalls or other scenes.

Larry

Agreed. Use of a ND filter in this shooting situation makes very little sense.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
Kung Fu
OP Kung Fu Senior Member • Posts: 3,636

AZBlue wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

I'm basing my question on your EXIF settings. You can achieve the same exposure using ISO 50 at 1/3200 second, both of which the D750 supports.

If you looked at the complete EXIF you’d see I’m in manual exposure mode, so the +1 exp compensation is ignored.

Kung Fu's gear list:Kung Fu's gear list
Nikon D750
Kung Fu

larrywilson wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Yes, I agree with using a longer focal length lens. A 35mm lens does not give a person the isolation of the subject as well as a longer length lens.

You guys obviously don’t shoot street photography.

Nikon D750
Kung Fu

tomnorth wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why do you keep a three-stop ND Filter on the lens at all times?

I already explained it above. Do the math for sunny f/16 @ f/2 then look at the specs for the D750. Obviously when it’s darker outside I don’t have it on.

Nikon D750
AZBlue

Kung Fu wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

I'm basing my question on your EXIF settings. You can achieve the same exposure using ISO 50 at 1/3200 second, both of which the D750 supports.

If you looked at the complete EXIF you’d see I’m in manual exposure mode, so the +1 exp compensation is ignored.

Doesn't change anything. Your EXIF shows 1/800s, f/2, ISO100. Those are the settings you used. After removing your 3-stop ND, you would get the same exposure at 1/3200, f/2, ISO50 as I stated previously. ISO 50 and 1/3200 are both available to you.

Kung Fu wrote:

larrywilson wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Yes, I agree with using a longer focal length lens. A 35mm lens does not give a person the isolation of the subject as well as a longer length lens.

Street photography is much more about context than subject isolation. You are attempting to do both and are getting mediocre results. If you want to better isolate your subject, using a longer lens will get you that isolation while allowing a smaller aperture to be used. If you want to show your subject in context, there should be no issue increasing your f-stop to f/2.8 or higher, allowing you to ditch the cumbersome ND filter.

-- hide signature --

briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 4,316

Kung Fu wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Whichever mode you were in, your exposure settings for that image were 1/800th at f/2, ISO 100, with a 3-stop filter added.  As AZBlue suggests, you could get the same exposure without the filter by raising shutter speed to 1/3200th and setting ISO to Lo1, which is equivalent to ISO 50.

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +22 more
tomnorth
tomnorth Senior Member • Posts: 1,003

briantilley wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Whichever mode you were in, your exposure settings for that image were 1/800th at f/2, ISO 100, with a 3-stop filter added. As AZBlue suggests, you could get the same exposure without the filter by raising shutter speed to 1/3200th and setting ISO to Lo1, which is equivalent to ISO 50.

I'd sure rather do that than have a three-stop ND filter on my camera at all times. I'd also seriously think about shooting with a longer focal length as others have suggested, say 85mm, to get more separation with the background. Unless your subject is close to the camera, it's tough with a 35mm lens to get a lot of separation.

tomnorth's gear list:tomnorth's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +6 more
Kung Fu

AZBlue wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Doesn't change anything. Your EXIF shows 1/800s, f/2, ISO100. Those are the settings you used. After removing your 3-stop ND, you would get the same exposure at 1/3200, f/2, ISO50 as I stated previously. ISO 50 and 1/3200 are both available to you.

I read somewhere that extended fake ISO settings like ISO “50” are noisier and have less dynamic range. Is that not true?

Kung Fu wrote:

larrywilson wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Street photography is much more about context than subject isolation.

Says who?

You are attempting to do both and are getting mediocre results.

LOL! Thanks for the free photo critique!

Just so I know where you’re coming from, what’s your Instagram account or other gallery where I can see your street photography? My Instagram is @joeltunnah.

If you want to better isolate your subject

I want exactly the isolation I got here. I didn’t ask anyone for advice on how to shoot street or how to isolate subjects. I asked about a white balance issue.

using a longer lens will get you...

...mediocre street photos.

Nikon D750
briantilley

Kung Fu wrote:

I read somewhere that extended fake ISO settings like ISO “50” are noisier and have less dynamic range. Is that not true?

It's not always true.

In your specific case, the D750 has the same dynamic range at any of the "Lo" settings as it does at 100, so you would be no worse off in terms of DR and noise. Bill Claff's website is an excellent source for such data, if you'd like to check it out...

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20D750

Another factor (which hasn't been mentioned yet) is that removing the 3-stop ND filter would help out autofocus, and/or make manual focus easier. The brighter viewfinder can also help with composition.

I'm ignoring the remainder of your post, as it is just argumentative.

Nikon Df Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +22 more
AZBlue

Kung Fu wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

It's a non-issue when shooting jpeg that can only display 8-bits of dynamic range. You did say that you didn't want anyone to tell you to shoot raw, so assumed you were shooting jpeg.

-- hide signature --

Kung Fu

briantilley wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

It's not always true.

In your specific case, the D750 has the same dynamic range at any of the "Lo" settings as it does at 100, so you would be no worse off in terms of DR and noise. Bill Claff's website is an excellent source for such data, if you'd like to check it out...

Technically it’s the same DR amount, but you’re actually losing a stop of dynamic range in the highlights, and gaining a stop in the shadows. Exactly opposite of what I would prefer.

Another factor (which hasn't been mentioned yet) is that removing the 3-stop ND filter would help out autofocus, and/or make manual focus easier.

I haven’t noticed any AF problems.

The brighter viewfinder can also help with composition.

Yeah, because nobody else in this thread including you are being argumentative at all, right? Every response to me so far has been respectful and on topic, right? Is that what you’re claiming?

Nikon D750
AZBlue

Kung Fu wrote:

Yeah, because nobody else in this thread including you are being argumentative at all, right? Every response to me so far has been respectful and on topic, right? Is that what you’re claiming?

You're the only one responding negatively and in an insulting manner towards those who are providing tips on how to achieve the same or similar look without use of ND filter. Only you know the answer as to why that is.

Hoping you have a better day.

-- hide signature --

Full Frame Contributing Member • Posts: 738

Kung Fu wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Did you always have a 3 stop filter on your Canon, Sony, and Fuji cameras,

Full Frame's gear list:Full Frame's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D3000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
briantilley

Kung Fu wrote:

briantilley wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

It's not always true.

Technically it’s the same DR amount, but you’re actually losing a stop of dynamic range in the highlights, and gaining a stop in the shadows. Exactly opposite of what I would prefer.

If you're getting all your photographic knowledge from the Northrups, I can see why you (to quote an earlier post of yours) "don't know everything about anything".

Another factor (which hasn't been mentioned yet) is that removing the 3-stop ND filter would help out autofocus, and/or make manual focus easier.

I haven’t noticed any AF problems.

The brighter viewfinder can also help with composition.

You clearly don't appreciate honest attempts to help.  I won't trouble myself any further.

Kung Fu

tomnorth wrote:

briantilley wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Kung Fu wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Whichever mode you were in, your exposure settings for that image were 1/800th at f/2, ISO 100, with a 3-stop filter added. As AZBlue suggests, you could get the same exposure without the filter by raising shutter speed to 1/3200th and setting ISO to Lo1, which is equivalent to ISO 50.

I'd sure rather do that than have a three-stop ND filter on my camera at all times.

So you don’t mind losing a stop of DR in the highlights? I do mind.

I'd also seriously think about shooting with a longer focal length as others have suggested, say 85mm, to get more separation with the background.

I don’t like street photography with telephoto lenses, as I’ve already said several times. I’m not into the surveillance aesthetic.

Unless your subject is close to the camera

They are, often less then 1m.

it's tough with a 35mm lens to get a lot of separation.

Where in this or any other thread did I ask how to get “a lot of separation”? I had a white balance problem.

Nikon D750
commiebiker Senior Member • Posts: 2,259
In fairness to Kung Fu.....

I've argued with Kung Fu plenty, but in fairness

• He asked about white balance
  • The answer is the filter set up
  • Everything else on this thread is kind of superfluous 

If he wants to experiment with ND filters, why not let him?

commiebiker's gear list:commiebiker's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Sony a7S Sony a7R II +19 more
scokill
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,806
Re: In fairness to Kung Fu.....

commiebiker wrote:

In fairness he stated he had a white balance problem, then added information about the ND filter. Since there is no known white balance issue with the D750 he was presented with two potentially causes for the blue cast: default WB setting being adjusted or the ND filter. He proceeded to hurl insults to me from there (that have been deleted by moderator) since it was pointed out the he could have tested the ND filter on/off very easily. He did, and found it to be the problem. If he wants to experiment with an ND filter that causes blue color cast then he can for sure. No need to be combative or hurl insults at everybody.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
commiebiker Senior Member • Posts: 2,259
Re: In fairness to Kung Fu.....

scokill wrote:

commiebiker wrote:

In fairness he stated he had a white balance problem, then added information about the ND filter. Since there is no known white balance issue with the D750 he was presented with two potentially causes for the blue cast: default WB setting being adjusted or the ND filter. He proceeded to hurl insults to me from there (that have been deleted by moderator) since it was pointed out the he could have tested the ND filter on/off very easily. He did, and found it to be the problem. If he wants to experiment with an ND filter that causes blue color cast then he can for sure. No need to be combative or hurl insults at everybody.

True enough.

I'm (me) trying to be a better forum participant, and part of the problem I see is that we (including me) tend to keep talking about other issues long after something has been answered,  And it degenerates

Anyway, I seem to be doing that now, so I'll just stop

commiebiker's gear list:commiebiker's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Sony a7S Sony a7R II +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads