Why is daylight WB so blue on the D750? Locked

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Kung Fu
Kung Fu Senior Member • Posts: 3,611
Why is daylight WB so blue on the D750?

On all my previous Canon, Sony, and Fuji cameras, if I was out in full summer sun, the “daylight” WB setting was really close if not perfect. But with my new D750, it seems way too cool:

Unedited camera jpeg

Color corrected

I’m new to Nikon, is this typical? Or maybe I have some setting incorrect? I checked the fine tune feature and it’s untouched.

Note: I do have a 3-stop B+W MRC ND filter on the lens at all times.

Please don’t respond with “shoot Raw”, thank you.

Kung Fu's gear list:Kung Fu's gear list
Nikon D750
Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
scokill
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,762
Re: Why is daylight WB so blue on the D750?

I suspect that the root cause is your ND filter. The only other answer would be adjustment of the daylight WB default over to blue. Select daylight and move over to the right with the control wheel to check.  I've found auto WB to be more to my desire than choosing a manual WB.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
Kung Fu
OP Kung Fu Senior Member • Posts: 3,611

scokill wrote:

I suspect that the root cause is your ND filter. The only other answer would be adjustment of the daylight WB default over to blue. Select daylight and move over to the right with the control wheel to check. I've found auto WB to be more to my desire than choosing a manual WB.

Unfortunately I didn’t take any test shots in the same light without the ND. But I’m surprised if an expensive ND would have that much effect, at only 3 stops.

Nikon D750
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 4,236

I'd certainly try it without the filter before jumping to any conclusions.

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +21 more
scokill
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,762

Kung Fu wrote:

scokill wrote:

I suspect that the root cause is your ND filter. The only other answer would be adjustment of the daylight WB default over to blue. Select daylight and move over to the right with the control wheel to check. I've found auto WB to be more to my desire than choosing a manual WB.

Unfortunately I didn’t take any test shots in the same light without the ND. But I’m surprised if an expensive ND would have that much effect, at only 3 stops.

Check sunlight default color temp as suggested and you can easily and quickly test with ND on/off.  You could have already done it before posting a reply and shared the results.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
incrediblehark Regular Member • Posts: 312

My ND filters (3, 6 and 10 stop) do mess with the WB on my D810 on occasion, not all the time. My D610 acted the same when I owned it too. I have 2 different brands as well, Breakthrough and B+W. The Breakthrough ones seem to mess with the WB more than my B+W filters. Luckily the images have been easy to correct in post so I've never had the need to explore fixing it in camera before shooting.

incrediblehark's gear list:incrediblehark's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +16 more
James809 Senior Member • Posts: 1,071

Kung Fu wrote:

What 35mm lens are you using, the FX or the DX? If yo're using good glass, putting any filter on is costing you a certain degree of clarity, in addition to (probably) mucking with your colors.

James809's gear list:James809's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D4 Nikon D4S Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +6 more
Horoscope Fish
Horoscope Fish Contributing Member • Posts: 833

Kung Fu wrote:

On all my previous Canon, Sony, and Fuji cameras, if I was out in full summer sun, the “daylight” WB setting was really close if not perfect. But with my new D750, it seems way too cool:

Unedited camera jpeg

I’m new to Nikon, is this typical? Or maybe I have some setting incorrect? I checked the fine tune feature and it’s untouched.

My D750 did shoot a little on the cool side, IMO, but nowhere near as cool as that. In looking at the EXIF data via Adobe Bridge, I see the WB was set to "Daylight" but "Manual" is also indicated, which makes me wonder if the default Daylight WB setting has been altered. I'd check the setting and find out; unless that's what you're referring to as the "Fine Tune" feature.

That, or it's the ND filter as previously mentioned... Easy enough to find out.

Horoscope Fish's gear list:Horoscope Fish's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 17,621

Kung Fu wrote:

Color corrected

You know how to colour correct without using RAW 

While you loose some jpeg file information with a simple colour correction; the loss has not had a significant effect on overall image quality.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +24 more
commiebiker Senior Member • Posts: 2,211

This has a good explanation and workaround

https://fstoppers.com/bestfiltertest

commiebiker's gear list:commiebiker's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Sony a7S Sony a7R II +19 more
Kung Fu

commiebiker wrote:

This has a good explanation and workaround

https://fstoppers.com/bestfiltertest

Thanks, very helpful article. I never noticed this issue before on my 80D or X100F, maybe they both default to a warmer rendering.

I’m assuming the exposure difference is due to the vignetting mentioned in the video, the camera ups the exposure, and the D750’s auto vignette correction masks the problem.

Nikon D750
AZBlue
AZBlue Senior Member • Posts: 2,310

You couldn't shoot that without a ND filter? Seems like the f/2 isn't really giving you that good a background blur. f/2.8 at 1/3200 would have given you the same exposure without the ND filter degrading image quality, and the background probably wouldn't have changed appreciably.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 5,093

AZBlue wrote:

You couldn't shoot that without a ND filter? Seems like the f/2 isn't really giving you that good a background blur. f/2.8 at 1/3200 would have given you the same exposure without the ND filter degrading image quality, and the background probably wouldn't have changed appreciably.

ISO 64 and 1/8000 speed help...oh wait...

lickity split
lickity split Veteran Member • Posts: 5,406
Duh, it’s the filter..... nt
 lickity split's gear list:lickity split's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye +10 more
LordKOTL
LordKOTL Senior Member • Posts: 1,264

Like others, I'd suspect the filter.   As others said easy enough to test.  Further, if you did deduce it was the filter it should be easy enough to create/apply a custom WB setting for the camera so you can use the aforementioned ND filter without having to WB correct the resulting .jpg.

Good luck and happy shooting.

-- hide signature --

There's no shame in using auto or semiauto modes--no matter what the salesdroids at Best Buy tell you.

LordKOTL's gear list:LordKOTL's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +3 more
Full Frame Contributing Member • Posts: 738

Shoot raw, sorry could't help myself.

Full Frame's gear list:Full Frame's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D3000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
Kung Fu
Re: Duh, it’s the filter..... nt

lickity split wrote:

Thanks for that helpful response. It must be great to have the whole world figured out.

Unlike you I’m mature enough to admit I don’t know everything about anything, and I’m not going to feel ashamed for asking a question.

I’m really disappointed with the attitudes here.

Nikon D750
Kung Fu

AZBlue wrote:

You couldn't shoot that without a ND filter?

Let’s see: using “sunny f16”, at f/2 ISO100, shutter speed would need to be 1/6400s. Max shutter speed on the D750 is 1/4000s.

Adding the ND brought that down 3 stops to 1/800s. So the answer to your question is no.

Seems like the f/2 isn't really giving you that good a background blur. f/2.8 at 1/3200 would have given you the same exposure without the ND filter degrading image quality, and the background probably wouldn't have changed appreciably.

I want to shoot at f/2. I shot at f/3 (FF equivalent) for 9 months with the X100F, and it’s not at all the same amount of blur, and I like a little bit more.

Nikon D750
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 4,236
Re: Duh, it’s the filter..... nt

Kung Fu wrote:

lickity split wrote:

Thanks for that helpful response. It must be great to have the whole world figured out.

Unlike you I’m mature enough to admit I don’t know everything about anything, and I’m not going to feel ashamed for asking a question.

Unfortunately, your orginal post sounded more like a criticism than a question - you seemed to be blaming the camera's WB rather than looking for a solution.

Maybe if your title had been "Why has this image come out so blue?" rather than "Why is daylight WB so blue on the D750?". Just a thought

I’m really disappointed with the attitudes here.

Hmmm...

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +21 more
tomnorth
tomnorth Contributing Member • Posts: 993

Just out of curiosity, why do you keep a three-stop ND Filter on the lens at all times?

tomnorth's gear list:tomnorth's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads